• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA JAM |OT| Whoomp, there it is!

I picked this game up for $25 dollars with the EAFLASHDEAL the other night, hope it doesn't totally suck, honestly as long as its fun with 3 other guys its worth the $25 bucks.

DrMungo

JetBlackPanda said:
I picked this game up for $25 dollars with the EAFLASHDEAL the other night, hope it doesn't totally suck, honestly as long as its fun with 3 other guys its worth the $25 bucks.

It'll definitely be fun with other people. But not as fun as older versions when playing by yourself. (Although the number of unlockables makes me want to keep playing).

I figure if a game can occupy 4 people for a few hours for at least a night, 25 bucks is worth it.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Holy shit, in the past hour of playing I've hit two full-court 3-pointers with Kobe. :lol Absolutely ridiculous.

Loving the hell out of this game, though. Knew I would, as I pretty much grew up playing NBA Jam. It's weird to try to explain why I like the game to some of my friends who are a few years younger than me. They're all of the "ALL SPORTS GAMES SUCK PERIOD" mindset. Whereas I don't like sports games either, but I recognize that NBA Jam is a special case. As I like to put it, "NBA Jam isn't a sports game. It's pure fun pressed onto a disc".

Plinko said:
I actually like this one more. I think the blocking is MUCH better in this one and adds another dimension to the gameplay that was near impossible in the original.

That said, the fact that they didn't include the option to control your teammate (tag mode), turning off CPU assistance, and penalties for quitting online is inexcusable.
These things definitely keep the game from being truly great, IMO. Still really awesome 4 player, though.

regs

picked this up yesterday, enjoying it so far. Stuck at the Magic Johnson boss battle which is so fucking cheap, literally tried it all day and cannot beat him, come close though. I should have turned it off hours ago but just raged out and turned it off :lol

Its so frustrating because it's obvious how you beat him but I swear EVERY fucking shot kobe puts out won't go in, I don't care if he's right under the rim, it just won't go in.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Looks like no roster updates, or any updates at all, really.

Via the NBA Jam Facebook page:

Hey Jam fans - There have been a lot of questions about a title or roster update and we wanted to tackle this head on. Our priority for JAM on the XBOX 360 and PS3 was to deliver HD graphics and online play to round out the great gameplay that defines the ...franchise. For us to also include roster and title update possibilities, we would have sacrificed quality in those key areas and thus made the difficult decision not to include them. As always, we love to hear your feedback and try our best to include as much of it as we can in our products. For now – we hope you are loving the JAM as much as we are!

Wow, what a load of BS. :lol :lol

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Seraphis Cain said:

I also made the difficult decision not to buy the game.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Seraphis Cain said:

Bah...terrible. Screw them. They were too lazy to even put in a tag mode?

Siaynoqq

Is there any reason to buy the Wii version over the PS3/360 version? Unless I'm missing something, you get better graphics and online play with the PS3/360 versions, but there is nothing unique on the Wii version.

Jimrpg

I just checked wikipedia and it seems there are roster updates? i mean deron is at the nets and carmelo is at the knicks???

can anyone confirm their 360 and ps3 version?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
arbok26 said:
I just checked wikipedia and it seems there are roster updates? i mean deron is at the nets and carmelo is at the knicks???

can anyone confirm their 360 and ps3 version?

I think only the iOS version got roster updates.

FerranMG

So I just started playing this game.

Absolutely hilarious, and loving so far the animations and how well the spirit of the original game is captured (at least of how I remember the original game :p).

I'm having a bit of a hard time, though, understanding can I make things work to become a better player.

For example, I'm finding it hard to know exactly when to shove. I always seem to miss it. Is it better to shove or to try to steal the ball.

Most of my 2 point shots I try (I mean, not dunks) go out.

I'm playing on the 360. What does pressing the Y button do? :/

Is it any better to play using the right stick instead of the buttons?

I read that there's a code to make the rubberbanding AI not so harsh. Will it mess with achievements or unlockables?

Is there a mode in which I can control both players? I've been playing the regular tournament, and I can only control one of them.

Can anyone share some tips? :p

str8-h4x

Plinko said:
I think only the iOS version got roster updates.

This man is correct.

To the other guy who can't play. It's just timing. Might be best to stop playing this one and wait for the real JAM coming this fall. (Not trying to troll you)

and no, you can't control the other player.

Apenheul

FerranMG said:
Can anyone share some tips? :p

Shoving or steeling for me depends on the tactics that my opponent uses. My tip is to learn to use the crossover mechanic effectively on the offense, on harder difficulty settings you don't want to pass the ball around too much. The only time I really pass around is at the opponent's basket when they're trying to block the bal. If your opponent is doing crossovers all the time then shove him around like there's no tomorrow :)

FerranMG

Apenheul said:
Shoving or steeling for me depends on the tactics that my opponent uses. My tip is to learn to use the crossover mechanic effectively on the offense, on harder difficulty settings you don't want to pass the ball around too much. The only time I really pass around is at the opponent's basket when they're trying to block the bal. If your opponent is doing crossovers all the time then shove him around like there's no tomorrow :)

What's a crossover exactly (and how do you do one)?
It's the first time I hear this word and can't figure it out. :$ :$ :$

Apenheul

FerranMG said:

I've got the Wii version so I don't know what button(s) it is on 360, but it's the move that makes your character spin 360 degrees so that your opponent can't reach the ball.

japtor

I only have the iPhone one, and outside of one control issue (have go shake to spin, but double tap turbo still works for elbows? What the hell!) I'm pretty annoyed by the gameplay as a big Hangtime and Showtime player over the years, I'm wondering/hoping if this stuff is any different in the console ones:

- Don't need turbo to dunk, just be moving around within your dunk range and press shoot. This bugs the hell out of me because if I'm basically anywhere inside the three point line and do anything other than a straight jumper, it ends up in a dunk. It doesn't sound bad but takes a lot of variety out of the game, like in Hangtime and Showtime you could do fades, runners, layups, and sky hooks, but in here it's basically just dunk or straight jumper, nothing else.
- Rebounding sucks. The ball action on the rim seems really reduced, and even if it does bounce around you're not likely to be able to pull it down in mid air. And I'm not sure putbacks are possible either.
- No dunk to layup. Not a huge deal, but useful when time is running down or to avoid blockers.
- Auto passing when I alley oop. Another minor one, but still pretty annoying since sometimes I'm pressing shoot to make my CPU partner shoot a three...and back to the first thing, as long as I'm moving around inside the three I end up going up for a dunk.

I saw some complaining about defense...but I'm actually ok with it, it feels like something they got more right than wrong, the window is probably too big but it's better than the tiny window they did for rebounding at least. If you're trying to be a shooter you can use the CPU partner as a diversion (until the opponent is mugging him relentlessly) and hopefully get yourself open for a shot, and use the pump fakes and elbows to prevent yourself from getting blocked.
FerranMG said:
If it's like the previous games, double tap turbo.

TxdoHawk

Picked up the 360 version on sale. Enjoying it so far...kind of annoyed that the devs put in a training mode but only go over the very basics, though. Lots of stuff left out of Jam Camp, like spins and putback dunks. Also, why can't I use RT for turbo?

bumpkin

japtor said:
- Don't need turbo to dunk, just be moving around within your dunk range and press shoot. This bugs the hell out of me because if I'm basically anywhere inside the three point line and do anything other than a straight jumper, it ends up in a dunk. It doesn't sound bad but takes a lot of variety out of the game, like in Hangtime and Showtime you could do fades, runners, layups, and sky hooks, but in here it's basically just dunk or straight jumper, nothing else.
Yeah, I don't like this either. I still find myself holding turbo when I'm going for a dunk out of habit.

japtor said:
- Rebounding sucks. The ball action on the rim seems really reduced, and even if it does bounce around you're not likely to be able to pull it down in mid air. And I'm not sure putbacks are possible either.
The lack of "action on the rim" as you put it is something I miss. Rebounding doesn't feel any easier or tougher than in the old games; and put-backs are done by holding the shot button and releasing just like you were taking a jumper.

japtor said:
- No dunk to layup. Not a huge deal, but useful when time is running down or to avoid blockers.
I don't know what you're doing wrong, but I do them all the time... Press and hold the shot button (after the initial take-off) when you're in a dunk animation and it will switch.

japtor said:
- Auto passing when I alley oop. Another minor one, but still pretty annoying since sometimes I'm pressing shoot to make my CPU partner shoot a three...and back to the first thing, as long as I'm moving around inside the three I end up going up for a dunk.
This would be the absence of "tag mode." Supposedly the updated version coming out in the fall will have this feature (back).

japtor said:
I saw some complaining about defense...but I'm actually ok with it, it feels like something they got more right than wrong, the window is probably too big but it's better than the tiny window they did for rebounding at least. If you're trying to be a shooter you can use the CPU partner as a diversion (until the opponent is mugging him relentlessly) and hopefully get yourself open for a shot, and use the pump fakes and elbows to prevent yourself from getting blocked.
Blocking is way too easy and throwing elbows is next to pointless. If you get knocked down, you have no choice but to pass as you fall. If you wait and/or try to throw elbows, the ball will get stolen before you do anything 99% of the time.

japtor

Sounds like some of it is just stuff that's different/tweaked in the iOS version cause I don't think I've been able to do the putbacks or layups....and it does have tag mode actually, I just don't use it. The old games didn't auto pass on alley oops as far as I remember, tag mode or not, so that's why I was asking about that aspect specifically.

mkenyon

Banned
Hosted a LAN at my house this last weekend, and I think this game was played more than anything else despite being a house filled with PC Gamers. Playing it on PS3, is there any online community at all still? After 4 player battles, it's hard to go back to playing against AI.

illadelph

(finally) Picked this up yesterday and played for hours with my brother.....it's so fun to go co-op through the game unlocking stuff. We started as the Sixers, which is a decent team but nothing special, but on the way we unlocked Dr. J and now we are just dominating most of the teams. I miss sports games like this.

Top Bottom