• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA JAM |OT| Whoomp, there it is!

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Glix said:
Come on EA. I love this game, but what, did they give it a 5 dollar budget?

Gallo is NOT Tyreke Evans, no matter how many times the announcer calls him that. What the fuck? Does this just happen with Gallo, or is the announcer constantly fucking up other people's names too?

It's not on one particular sound byte either! Its just, whenever they announcer is going to say Gallonari, there is a 1 in 20 chance he says Tyreke Evans instead!

It says GallOnari in your copy? He's Gallinari in mine :p

dwu8991

Banned
can't belive how expensive the game is in Australia! going to get the cheaper ps3 game instead. looking forward to playing online though.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
bucknuticus said:
Thinking about picking this game up on 360 on tuesday, has anyone seen any impressions for it?

I can tell you it's one of the best games of the year on Wii. Haven't played the Xbox version. But I also haven't played a 4 player local game I've had more fun with in a long time.

bluehat9

Are sites going to review the ps3/360 versions? I'm still not sure what comes in the game at launch and what's being added later. It's eventually going to have everything the wii version has though plus online, right?

Hiltz

At first, I really enjoyed playing NBA Jam on the Wii. However, after the first five days of playing it for several hours (both with friends and by myself), I was completely bored with the game. The highly repetitive gameplay was to blame and the remix tour wasn't as cool as I originally thought it would be except for some of the boss battles.

With that said, the graphics looks good but not impressive due to how simple the game is meant to look. The controls work well (used the Wii remote & nunchuck) and the game's announcer shouts out some cool one-liners. The AI is pretty well balanced only becoming noticeably more aggressive during the remix tour mode. The unlockable politicians and mascots are fun to play as.I have to give EA credit for including codes into the game as it seems to have become a lost art in video games these days.

I'd rate the game an 8/10 and also say that it isn't worth $49.I'm glad to see that some people like the game a lot. I thought I would given how much I used to play the one on the Sega Genesis, but I was blinded by how repetitive the gameplay really is (despite how cool the crazy dunks are). I mean, it feels like a chore to play for more than 20 minutes especially if you're doing it solo.

bluehat9 said:
Are sites going to review the ps3/360 versions? I'm still not sure what comes in the game at launch and what's being added later. It's eventually going to have everything the wii version has though plus online, right?
Its going to have everything out of the box. Remix mode and everything. From what I read. No gimped version.

bumpkin

InfectedZero said:
Its going to have everything out of the box. Remix mode and everything. From what I read. No gimped version.
What happened to all the talk about a free DLC update in December that was going to add in the Remix mode stuff?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Hiltz said:
At first, I really enjoyed playing NBA Jam on the Wii. However, after the first five days of playing it for several hours (both with friends and by myself), I was completely bored with the game. The highly repetitive gameplay was to blame and the remix tour wasn't as cool as I originally thought it would be except for some of the boss battles.

With that said, the graphics looks good but not impressive due to how simple the game is meant to look. The controls work well (used the Wii remote & nunchuck) and the game's announcer shouts out some cool one-liners. The AI is pretty well balanced only becoming noticeably more aggressive during the remix tour mode. The unlockable politicians and mascots are fun to play as.I have to give EA credit for including codes into the game as it seems to have become a lost art in video games these days.

I'd rate the game an 8/10 and also say that it isn't worth $49.I'm glad to see that some people like the game a lot. I thought I would given how much I used to play the one on the Sega Genesis, but I was blinded by how repetitive the gameplay really is (despite how cool the crazy dunks are). I mean, it feels like a chore to play for more than 20 minutes especially if you're doing it solo.
You must be using the Game Informer scale.

So is Jam coming out the 16th or 17th? I have seen it advertised everywhere as being released on the 17th but that's a Wednesday and games normally come out on Tuesdays, right? (although a few sites have said it will be released on the 16th) I want this game!

bumpkin said:
What happened to all the talk about a free DLC update in December that was going to add in the Remix mode stuff?
Shit I guess I was wrong, I thought I read that somewhere. Just read on Joystiq that it will have Classic only, and then when you boot it up with Live/PSN connected it will download a patch that will include the online portion. Everyone is saying they wont buy it in the comments because of the price.

Edit - According to the vid it will have everything in the box, then the online update will patch the multiplayer modes online in. It apparently comes with Remix out of the box. Video says 17th at the end for the launch. Why a Wednesday?

CaptainCamerica said:
So is Jam coming out the 16th or 17th? I have seen it advertised everywhere as being released on the 17th but that's a Wednesday and games normally come out on Tuesdays, right? (although a few sites have said it will be released on the 16th) I want this game!

I cannot figure this out either..

Hiltz

SapientWolf said:
You must be using the Game Informer scale.

What can I say? NBA JAm is a pretty well polished game but the gameplay is paper thin. The amount of content isn't enough to justify the $49 price since the remix tour isn't nearly as enjoyable as the classic campaign mode. I think the game should have been released for $29.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Hiltz said:
What can I say? NBA JAm is a pretty well polished game but the gameplay is paper thin. The amount of content isn't enough to justify the $49 price since the remix tour isn't nearly as enjoyable as the classic campaign mode. I think the game should have been released for $29.
You can say that it's a charming throwback that's failed to mature to the level of its contemporaries in the genre, but it may still be worth its asking price for the nostalgic or those who don't demand a lot of depth in their arcade sports games. Everyone else would be better served by digging a similar title out of the bargain bin or waiting for this one to arrive there. average/10 (7 if you're GI, 5 if you're a statistician)

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Absolutely love the game but forgot how frustrating it can be playing online with people you don't know.

My team is up by 14 at half time and my genius teammate decides to start jacking up 3's. We end up losing.

Also, is there a way to play as both of your team members offline? I think it was called 'tag mode' in previous versions. Sometimes the CPU is completely moronic in what they do.

jedimike

Almost purchased today, but my mind can't get past the fact that this game is about $20 too much.

I really wish this was a $15 XBLA title...

Weenerz

Banned
Grabbing my 360 pre-order this weekend when I have time to play it. Can't wait. Loving the Wii version and to be able to play on XBL is a huge bonus.

DasRaven

jedimike said:
Almost purchased today, but my mind can't get past the fact that this game is about $20 too much. I really wish this was a $15 XBLA title...

Same here. I've watched a few 360/PS3 gameplay vids on YT. And while I do want it, I don't want it that badly.
So, I'm going to wait until I find it used or on a B2G1 sale, $15-20 is a reasonable price for this experience. $49, not so much.

vg260

jedimike said:
Almost purchased today, but my mind can't get past the fact that this game is about $20 too much.

I really wish this was a $15 XBLA title...

Same here. Had it pre-ordered, but couldn't pull the trigger. I would have bit even @ $20 for an XBLA title. This is the kind of game I hate popping the disc in for. I want to be able to boot up from the dashboard every now and then, play a couple games and move on. Sounds silly, but that's more of a buzzkill for me than the price tag. I'm either going to wait for a big markdown or for however long it takes to become a game-on-demand.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
As a Rockets fan, it sucks to see that Ariza is still on the team :\ wtf is Scola or Brooks.

mik

mik is unbeatable
Am I hallucinating or does the game actually NOT penalize players for disconnecting when they're losing?

So I was just playing this tonight....The rubberbanding is too much, IMO. I was playing as the wolves, I was up by 10, and Beasley got on fire (so I was up by 12). He literally missed 4 shots in a row (3 twos and one three) and then had one blocked. That is waaay too much rubberbanding--being on fire should give you some sort of advantage no matter how much you're up by.

Add me to the pile that wants it but doesn't think it's worth $50. This thing would be selling like hotcakes and be downloadable game of the year if it was $20 on PSN and XBLA.

dreamfall

mik said:
Am I hallucinating or does the game actually NOT penalize players for disconnecting when they're losing?

That's a damn good question. I've been playing a shit ton on XBL and in a good number of games, someone has disconnected. And I don't get a win or a loss, or rank up. I checked my stats on the leaderboard and there is DNF column, but people keep quitting. I was up by 22 in a game, and some fool waited to quit with 4 seconds left. Ugh! At least quit in the third quarter...

Ikopi

CoffeeJanitor said:
So I was just playing this tonight....The rubberbanding is too much, IMO. I was playing as the wolves, I was up by 10, and Beasley got on fire (so I was up by 12). He literally missed 4 shots in a row (3 twos and one three) and then had one blocked. That is waaay too much rubberbanding--being on fire should give you some sort of advantage no matter how much you're up by.

There is indeed some kind of rubberbanding going on. In some matches I am 40 points ahead and in the last quarter the computer gets back to within 5 points of me. I usually still win, but it can lead to some tense moments and frustration.

But still a really enjoyable game. The remix tour is quite hard though, but it's a nice change from the classic campaign. Local multiplayer is the best multiplayer on Wii this year (haven't played Goldeneye yet).

mik

mik is unbeatable
dreamfall said:
That's a damn good question. I've been playing a shit ton on XBL and in a good number of games, someone has disconnected. And I don't get a win or a loss, or rank up. I checked my stats on the leaderboard and there is DNF column, but people keep quitting. I was up by 22 in a game, and some fool waited to quit with 4 seconds left. Ugh! At least quit in the third quarter...
I tested it by quitting a couple games last night (sorry random XBL dudes!). There is no penalty for quitting. Fucking ridiculous.

mr stroke

Is there a lot of people playing online? 360 version?

I want to grab this but wondering if anyone bought it.

hopefully Amazon runs a Black Friday deal on this

mik said:
I tested it by quitting a couple games last night (sorry random XBL dudes!). There is no penalty for quitting. Fucking ridiculous.

Oh. My. Fucking. God.

Sale -1.

Unreal this still happens. Straight lazy to the fullest and completely unacceptable. EA can go fuck themselves.

mj1108

mik said:

I don't feel so bad for getting the Wii version after all.

Weenerz

Banned
The rubberbanding AI is worse on the 360 than it was on the Wii version, It's 48 - 16 at the end of the 3rd and the game finishes 54 - 38 :lol

Also, the achievements blow ass for this game.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
mik said:
I'm thinking that the online community is eventually going to be so small that the quitters will end up being blacklisted and quitting for good. Problem is, everyone else might do the same thing.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
My guess is EA patches the quitting thing in December--wasn't there a video released saying that in December they'd be releasing more online stuff?

dreamfall

This quitting mid-match with no penalty bullshit is really killing online for me. If someone disconnects, other team should get the win. So many haters have been leaving the game in the 4th, wasting everyone's time!

mj1108

Plinko said:
My guess is EA patches the quitting thing in December--wasn't there a video released saying that in December they'd be releasing more online stuff?

The sad thing is, penalizing people for quitting should have been in the shipped version. Sure sounds like they rushed the PS3 and 360 versions out to make the holidays and figure they can just patch whatever isn't in it or is broken after it ships.

rareside

Do you think there's still some great cheat codes (secret characters?) that EA is holding onto for when the game starts getting stale for most people...?

Top Bottom