• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA JAM |OT| Whoomp, there it is!

Krispy Killa v3 said:
There was soooo much hype and excitement when this was first announced for Wii. Now it's like flatlined. Don't understand it. Console wars did this game in, I suppose.

Well the "audience" this game is catered to is more of the 360/PS3 crowd. I don't really see this as a "casual-friendly/mainstream" game.

Plus the "Wii exclusivity" has become "Wii definitive version" to "Wii definitive version but no online" to "Wii timed exclusive".

Glix

Lone_Prodigy said:
Well the "audience" this game is catered to is more of the 360/PS3 crowd. I don't really see this as a "casual-friendly/mainstream" game.

Plus the "Wii exclusivity" has become "Wii definitive version" to "Wii definitive version but no online" to "Wii timed exclusive".

I disagree strongly with this. This is a perfect game for a lot of dudes my age (30) who loved it back in the day but now are married with kids and all that. They have Wiis usually and not much else, and seeing this old school jam right here, gets them all pumped. Kinda the NSMB Wii effect.

Hieberrr

Rubberband AI FTMFL T____T Constant shoving (N)
Controls, at least for me, take time getting used to.. but.. wait for it, wait for it.. I find the Wiimote setup a lot better and more fun after a while (in constrast to Wii Classic).

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
The rubberbanding is harsh in this game.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
TwIsTeD said:
Gameplay is Great FUN!

The presentation and music is horrid.... seriously all EA needed was to add some stupid screens in between quarters, something besides the black background at half-time would have been great, and remixes of the old tunes with the new ones would have been great.

Seriously a few presentation fixes and this would be GEM!

^^this x 5

I like playing but it was BORING. It's missing something the arcade version had and that was videos!

Hieberrr said:
Rubberband AI FTMFL T____T Constant shoving (N)
Controls, at least for me, take time getting used to.. but.. wait for it, wait for it.. I find the Wiimote setup a lot better and more fun after a while (in constrast to Wii Classic).
Already out in Germany?! Last I checked it didn't even have a date.

Since everybody has been sharing their JAM videos I figured I share a couple of mine.

OG JAM Team vs Toronto Raptors

OG JAM Team vs Cleveland Cavaliers

I'll chime in on some stuff.

Rubberband AI is crazy. One second you'll be raping the computer and then they're raining 3's like Reggie Miller. Hopefully the PS360 versions balance that out somehow. But that's been a staple of JAM, Blitz and the like but in the arcade versions you could turn it off. That should be an option they should patch in.

I wish there was a button config. The Classic Controller needed one badly. How in the hell both R Buttons don't have a function. That was just a bad decision. But Wiimote + Nunchuck is love though. The only thing I hate about the controls period is the way you have to use it to control your drone. It should've stayed true to the old school instead of how it's implemented.

Other than no Tag Mode like the home versions of Jam I have no complaints. I think this may be the first game in history I Triple Dip. Get the 360 on launch and the PS3 on sale.

Is it just me or has this been getting a lot of publicity (though not here on NeoGAf apparently)? It was on the front page of USA Today the other day and thi morning they were playing it on Fox News. The secret Democrat/ Republican teams seem to be getting the game attention. I didn't even know the game was out until I saw it!

Dexa

Banned
wow ... i´m amazed how bad it is.

was expecting a bit more than snes hangtime with crappy graphics :(

Threi

notag
pretty fun game but...

fuck larry bird getting on fire and being able to score UNBLOCKABLE 9-POINT SHOTS.

WHAT. THE. FUCK.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Rubberband AI is forever aligned with NBA Jam. I am glad this is no different today. I haven't thrown a controller in a while :lol

mj1108

Plinko said:
Rubberband AI is forever aligned with NBA Jam. I am glad this is no different today. I haven't thrown a controller in a while :lol

Anyone who's played the original can't complain about rubberbanding AI...since it's a staple of the game.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
mj1108 said:
Anyone who's played the original can't complain about rubberbanding AI...since it's a staple of the game.

Agreed--To be honest, I don't know if I'd want it any other way, although the option to turn it off would be nice.

Nothing was as bad as NFL Blitz's rubberband AI, though.

Glix

mj1108 said:

It's awesomely brutal. I was up 10 on the cpu at the end of the first quarter and they started the second with a 12-0 run...

I mean Durant is a beast but come on!!

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
mj1108 said:
There needs to be a tournament mode like in every Jam game. It disables CPU assistance.

bumpkin

mj1108 said:
I've basically found if you're in the lead and there's less than 30 seconds left to the period, you just start throwing up wild shots and chasing the rebounds. The first game I played I had gotten a decent lead and the CPU started their rampage; the first thing I said to my wife was "yep, it's obvious the original designer worked on this. The old game did this same shit." :lol

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
bumpkin said:
I've basically found if you're in the lead and there's less than 30 seconds left to the period, you just start throwing up wild shots and chasing the rebounds. The first game I played I had gotten a decent lead and the CPU started their rampage; the first thing I said to my wife was "yep, it's obvious the original designer worked on this. The old game did this same shit." :lol
Only the original designer didn't work on this, he was simply consulted. If he HAD worked on it, we'd have a much different product.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
I heard the announcer say "Boom goes the dynamite" today
i lul'd

bumpkin

Mutagenic said:
Only the original designer didn't work on this, he was simply consulted. If he HAD worked on it, we'd have a much different product.
Sure, get semantic on me... Whether he wrote any code or simply gave them ideas, his influence is clear in many ways; rubber-band AI being one of the bad ones. Everything else about the game is awesome though! :D

Hieberrr

Phife Dawg said:
Already out in Germany?! Last I checked it didn't even have a date.

Nah, I'm located in Canada. I was just born in Germany and thus supported them throughout the World Cup :D

Also, I find that the rubberband AI is actually not too bad now. The only reason I had a problem with them was when they would shove you right after you inbound the ball. Easily avoidable by throwing some elbows. AWESOME game! Except a lot of the teams are soo shitty.

and Wii Mote + Nunchuck 4 LYFE! Best control scheme! And 2 player co-op is the shit! I would love to play this with 4 people :(

jman2050

I wish I wasn't broke as hell so I could buy this. Nice to see the bullshit rubberband AI return, it wouldn't be NBA Jam without it :lol

Hieberrr

Oh and it might seem like Im bumping this thread for no reason, but I just have to say one last thing:

2 Players + Big Head Mode + 0 Shot Clock + Goal Tending Off = THE SHIEEEEE!

went to go rent this, to hold me over until the hd versions, and NONE of the blockbusters in my area have it in stock. No wonder they are going out of business. Worthless fucks.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
So how's the single player stuff on this game? There's no online and local multi isn't going to happen for me.

Hieberrr said:
Nah, I'm located in Canada. I was just born in Germany and thus supported them throughout the World Cup :D

Also, I find that the rubberband AI is actually not too bad now. The only reason I had a problem with them was when they would shove you right after you inbound the ball. Easily avoidable by throwing some elbows. AWESOME game! Except a lot of the teams are soo shitty.

and Wii Mote + Nunchuck 4 LYFE! Best control scheme! And 2 player co-op is the shit! I would love to play this with 4 people :(
Damn, got my hopes up for a second.

Found the code for the Republican Team and the Democrat Team on The Tanookie:

The Democrats
(Barack Obama, Joe Biden, Bill Clinton, and Hilary Clinton)
How to unlock: At the “Press A to Start” screen, press Left 13 times, then plus.

The Republicans
(John McCain, Sarah Palin, George Bush, Dick Cheney)
How to unlock: At the “Press A to Start” screen, press Right 13 times, then plus.

On the team select screen, press the plus button and the hidden teams will be revealed.

:lol :lol :lol

Haunted

Is this thread dead because no one likes NBA Jam, or because everyone is just waiting for the PS360 versions?

Goddamn it, EA.

mj1108

Haunted said:
Is this thread dead because no one likes NBA Jam, or because everyone is just waiting for the PS360 versions?

Goddamn it, EA.

No idea but it's a shame because the Wii version is actually really great.

Glix

Haunted said:

Goddamn it, EA.

Not sure. I love it, but there isn't much to talk about, it's almost the exact same game from yesteryear.

YagizY

Haunted said:

Goddamn it, EA.

Personally I am waiting for the PS3 version. I was definitely getting this day 1 for Wii but if I can get online multiplayer and more important HD graphics for $10 more, I'd rather get that. Also the fact that the rosters are wrong on the Wii version (some players are on the wrong team) is another reason why I am waiting for the PS3 version. Hopefully they will update rosters for that.

With that being said, I've watched every single youtube clip in this thread and I am incredibly jealous that people can already play it.

Top Bottom