• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA JAM |OT| Whoomp, there it is!

thefro

Mutagenic said:
They better at least have win/loss% for initials, and hopefully additional stats beyond current game stats.

This is EA, gotta hold back features for NBA Jam 2011.

WillyFive

Apesht Mcfckface said:
so outside of online play, whats the 360/PS3 version going to offer? I'm really temped to not wait and pick the Wii version up

As far as I know, it's going to be a straight port (except in HD and online, minus motion controls).

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
mj1108 said:
Pick an excuse:

1) It's just like the original.
2) Laziness.

I'll pick #1.

Have to save something for the sequel.

Adam J.

I feel like a real idiot having to ask this, but are the character's bodies polygons or sprites? I seriously cant tell from the videos.

mj1108

MiniDitka said:
Lakers vs Celtics - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCkIIrBpG7U

Knicks vs Bulls and Beastie Boys up next

Never played any version of NBA JAM so I have no idea what I'm doing :lol

The hell you say?

Find a SNES and get NBA Jam/NBA Jam TE.

That said, I got the Wii version at Best Buy after work. I had $10 in RZ coupons so $39 didn't seem as bad as $49. Played a few games.... they nailed the gameplay down. Feels just like the original/T.E. (played the living hell out of those titles in the arcade and on the SNES). Disappointed at the backgrounds for halftime and after the game is over though (none -- just solid black). Thought they could have put at least SOMETHING back there. A nitpick of sorts.

A hell of a lot of fun.... didn't think about the lack of online.

In the end, it feels like classic NBA Jam. Believe the reviews.

EDIT: Not sure how well the motion controller/nunchuk work.....I stuck with the classic controller the entire time.

outsidah

It's a shame they continue to monkey around with the PS3/360 versions on the back burner when this needs to be played online.

I think I am going to end up double dipping though because I need my JAM!!

Not seeing the hype from GAF with this OT though... 3 pages? Really? Must be because it's the Wii version.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I broke down and bought it even though I know I'm going to be buying it for 360, too.

Only played a few games so far... It's so damn good. Wish I could play online, though...

It bugs me that this game ripped off another earlier game of two on two basketbrawl, i like NBA JAM and all since i wasted a lot of time on it when i was a teen but that earlier basketball game is the original and the best.

Lawl at my tag, gotta love it.

EvilDick34 said:
It bugs me that this game ripped off another earlier game of two on two basketbrawl, i like NBA JAM and all since i wasted a lot of time on it when i was a teen but that earlier basketball game is the original and the best.

Lawl at my tag, gotta love it.

Arch Rivals had a special charm to it. NBA Jam is just on a completely different level IMO.

Game is great so far. My only qualm is the use or lack of use of the Classic Controller. The PS360 versions need a button config. It seems that they really want you to use the Wiimote + Nunchuck combo. It works really well but the same care taken for that config should've been for all the ones available. Somebody has gotta leak the Obama code. And I wonder how many secrets are in the game?

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I'll post more impressions later, but I bought the game and played for a few hours. It's not very good at all. Unfortunately, the animation and lack of responsiveness completely diminish the frantic, precise, quick nature of Jam/Hangtime/Showtime. The game is molasses in comparison, and blocks are far too abundant as a result.

Salsa

I still cant believe that JAM invented the phrase "he's on fire"

It has to be the best example of a single videogame element transcending into pop culture.

Its like The Simpsons "meh"

sikkinixx

Mutagenic said:
I'll post more impressions later, but I bought the game and played for a few hours. It's not very good at all. Unfortunately, the animation and lack of responsiveness completely diminish the frantic, precise, quick nature of Jam/Hangtime/Showtime. The game is molasses in comparison, and blocks are far too abundant as a result.

I disagree. The blocking, specifically flicking the ball away, works just as I want it to in that it's fairly easy to swat the ball away when your opponent just decides to shoot despite you standing right there.

GeekyDad

Not a basketball fan, but this game looks like a ton of fun.

As for the Wii version's lack of online, the community for most online Wii games (outside of Mario Kart) is usually nonexistent. EA probably just said, "What's the point?" In which case, they would be right, I believe.

TwIsTeD

Gameplay is Great FUN!

The presentation and music is horrid.... seriously all EA needed was to add some stupid screens in between quarters, something besides the black background at half-time would have been great, and remixes of the old tunes with the new ones would have been great.

Seriously a few presentation fixes and this would be GEM!

Glix

Plays Great!

I love seeing D'antoni on my sideline.

I wish they made the UI stuff a little more authentic looking. I feel like the Original NBA Jam arcade looked more like a real broadcast (when they show the score and stuff), I feel like it looks kind of Janky.

Blitz next!

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
sikkinixx said:
I disagree. The blocking, specifically flicking the ball away, works just as I want it to in that it's fairly easy to swat the ball away when your opponent just decides to shoot despite you standing right there.
That's the problem though. Sometimes you'll tap the shoot button and they still go through a drawn-out shooting animation allowing for an incredibly easy block. Sometimes its a ridiculous turnaround fadeaway for no reason, and sometimes youll press shoot while running forward and they shoot two steps later. In a game like Showtime, getting something like 4 blocks in a half meant you were either goaltending, or you had incredible timing. I know this game isn't Showtime, and I know I'm a little hardcore about it, but the control is weak in this game.

The only thing putting me off is no online. Why did Nintendo not make sure EA included it?

I really doubt I will buy it now as I can wait the 360 version.

bumpkin

TwIsTeD said:
Gameplay is Great FUN!

The presentation and music is horrid.... seriously all EA needed was to add some stupid screens in between quarters, something besides the black background at half-time would have been great, and remixes of the old tunes with the new ones would have been great.

Seriously a few presentation fixes and this would be GEM!
No joke. They should have re-made that halftime report montage using the in-game models. "Altitude with an attitude" FTW. :D

snesfreak

Banned
I'm sure whatever problems (*cough* no online in Wii version) that the game has will be fixed in the inevitable "T.E." version. Also, fuck EA.

MiniDitka said:
How do you input the code to unlock Michelle Beadle & Colin Cowherd?
You'll need 2 controllers to pop this in. In PLAY NOW mode where you put in your initials, 1P puts "ESP" and 2P puts "NSN." Once both players use those initials, it will unlock the SportsNation team. Once they're unlocked you don't have to put the code in anymore and can go back and use 1P, etc. I think they can only be used in PLAY NOW mode though and definitely not classic campaign.

Definitely hope the Obama and Tom Brady/Bellicheck codes come out soon. :lol

Krispy Killa v3

Neo Member
There was soooo much hype and excitement when this was first announced for Wii. Now it's like flatlined. Don't understand it. Console wars did this game in, I suppose.

WillyFive

Krispy Killa v3 said:
There was soooo much hype and excitement when this was first announced for Wii. Now it's like flatlined. Don't understand it. Console wars did this game in, I suppose.

It was EA's fault for causing fanboys to rile up. Ever since announcement, every news on it was like a planned attempt to rile up people.

Top Bottom