• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA JAM |OT| Whoomp, there it is!

outsidah

I cracked and bought the Wii version as I loved these games back in the day. Sucks that it has no online so ill be selling this one and upgrading once the 360 version comes out. They nailed the Jam smelly though :)

Just told this game to go fuck itself. Can't beat Shaq in this boss battle, and oh boy does this game become a shove contest in the 4th quarter. Fun time if you're playing with people though.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
So I just read something interesting...

Apparently, NBA Jam is ridiculously easy to modify, because almost all of the game options, character settings, etc, is done in an xml style configuration with some text files as input.

Using WiiScrubber, one uncovers the following file, for example:

Code:
fgm_index.xml:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<ConfigurationIndex>
<QuickMatch>
<Mode config="fgm_std_2v2" name="TXT_CLASSIC_2V2" description="TXT_PLAY_NOW_CLASSIC_DESCRIPTION" />
</QuickMatch>
<GameModes>
<Mode config="fgm_std_2v2_backboardsmash" name="TXT_BACKBOARD_SMASH" description="TXT_BACKBOARD_SMASH_DESCRIPTION" category="0" />
<Mode config="fgm_rx_dom_2" name="TXT_DOMINATION_2PLAYER" description="TXT_DOMINATION_2PLAYER_DESCRIPTION" category="0" />
<Mode config="fgm_rx_dom_3" name="TXT_DOMINATION_3PLAYER" description="TXT_DOMINATION_3PLAYER_DESCRIPTION" category="0" />
<Mode config="fgm_rx_dom2v2" name="TXT_DOMINATION_2V2" description="TXT_DOMINATION_2V2_DESCRIPTION" category="0" />
<Mode config="fgm_std_brawl_3" name="TXT_ELIMINATION_3PLAYER" description="TXT_ELIMINATION_3PLAYER_DESCRIPTION" category="0" />
<Mode config="fgm_std_brawl_4" name="TXT_ELIMINATION_4PLAYER" description="TXT_ELIMINATION_4PLAYER_DESCRIPTION" category="0" />
<Mode config="fgm_std_s21_2" name="TXT_21_2PLAYER" description="TXT_21_2PLAYER_DESCRIPTION" category="0" />
<Mode config="fgm_std_s21_3" name="TXT_21_3PLAYER" description="TXT_21_3PLAYER_DESCRIPTION" category="0" />
<Mode config="fgm_std_s21_4" name="TXT_21_4PLAYER" description="TXT_21_4PLAYER_DESCRIPTION" category="0" />
<Mode config="fgm_rx_2v2" name="TXT_2V2_REMIX" description="TXT_2V2_REMIX_DESCRIPTION" category="0" />
(Boss info deleted because of spoilers)
</GameModes>
</ConfigurationIndex>

In addition, it appears the online files are already in the Wii disk.
fgm_online_2v2_h2h.xml and fgm_online_2v2_multi.xml are both located in the gamemode folder.

These files are NOT dummy files. They have real, non-garbage data in them like the other game modes. Either EA is planning on releasing online as DLC later on for NBA Jam wii, or they're deliberately withholding it to sabotage the wii version of the game. The online is there. It just isn't activated.

GaimeGuy said:
.These files are NOT dummy files. They have real, non-garbage data in them like the other game modes. Either EA is planning on releasing online as DLC later on for NBA Jam wii, or they're deliberately withholding it to sabotage the wii version of the game. The online is there. It just isn't activated.

holy shit

I don't know which of those two possibilities is worse. The former seems like par for the course nowadays with unlock codes so that's probably closer to the truth. If they were intentionally sabotaging the Wii version, couldn't they have deleted the code instead of leaving it in? Or are they too lazy to do even that? :lol

Little Green Yoda said:
holy shit

I don't know which of those two possibilities is worse. The former seems like par for the course nowadays with unlock codes so that's probably closer to the truth. If they were intentionally sabotaging the Wii version, couldn't they have deleted the code instead of leaving it in? Or are they too lazy to do even that? :lol

My guess is that they probably didn't think the online community would be active enough and the server costs weren't worth it with the Wii's broken online play. They were saying they were trying to get the Wii version online from the beginning so it doesn't surprise that there's code in there. What is surprising is that it's done in XML format and so easily accessible.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
riceandbeans said:
My guess is that they probably didn't think the online community would be active enough and the server costs weren't worth it with the Wii's broken online play. They were saying they were trying to get the Wii version online from the beginning so it doesn't surprise that there's code in there. What is surprising is that it's done in XML format and so easily accessible.
Netcode isn't written in XML. That's just data. The word from the devs is that they were testing out an online mode for the Wii, but they didn't like the fact that it couldn't run at 60fps, so they cut it out. How complete it was is anyone's guess.

riceandbeans said:
How is Wii's online play broken? You do know that EA uses it's own infrastructure (at least they did in the past on Wii)?

Glix

Come on EA. I love this game, but what, did they give it a 5 dollar budget?

Gallo is NOT Tyreke Evans, no matter how many times the announcer calls him that. What the fuck? Does this just happen with Gallo, or is the announcer constantly fucking up other people's names too?

It's not on one particular sound byte either! Its just, whenever they announcer is going to say Gallonari, there is a 1 in 20 chance he says Tyreke Evans instead!

Effect

So is there any clue as to how the game has been doing sales wise? As expected when one considers how EA handled this entire thing?

GaimeGuy said:
These files are NOT dummy files. They have real, non-garbage data in them like the other game modes. Either EA is planning on releasing online as DLC later on for NBA Jam wii, or they're deliberately withholding it to sabotage the wii version of the game. The online is there. It just isn't activated.
Yes, because those are the only two possibilities *puts on tinfoil hat*

Struct09

EA was pretty upfront with the fact that they were working on an online mode for the Wii version. It's more likely that it was cut due to not being up to par rather than being cut to sell it later or "sabotage" the Wii version.

Just because there's XML files there doesn't mean the whole working mode is lurking on the disk.

FoneBone

Struct09 said:
EA was pretty upfront with the fact that they were working on an online mode for the Wii version. It's more likely that it was cut due to not being up to par rather than being cut to sell it later or "sabotage" the Wii version.
Yes, drop the persecution complex nonsense, please.

Snowballo

I'm poor.

I've just a Wiimote + Nunchuk
Plus a couple of Gamecube controllers (including Wavebird)

Can I use them to play NBA Jam with my even poorer friends?

gamecube5controllers.jpg

MiniDitka

Snowballo said:
I'm poor.

I've just a Wiimote + Nunchuk
Plus a couple of Gamecube controllers (including Wavebird)

Can I use them to play NBA Jam with my even poorer friends?

gamecube5controllers.jpg
Game doesn't support the gamecube controller only wiimote + nunchuk,wiimote only and classic controller.

HeySeuss

Got this over the weekend with the TRU sale. Was my free game so I figured what the hell.

Game is a blast and there is actually a lot of meat to it. Kinda disappointed with no online, but I'm sure cheaters would have ruined it anyways as I'm sure will be the case on PS3 and 360. But I can live without online when 4 player co-op is so much fun. That's where it really shines.

The announcer has enough variations of trash talk to not become too annoying, and the unlockables seem to never end.

All in all, not a bad game. But I think at 50 bucks its overpriced. Should be 29.99 or maybe 39.99 imo.

Vizion28

Banned
I'm sure it is a fun game but there is no way I'm paying $50 for what is an essentially a remake with no online. EA shafting Wii owners badly again, nothing unusual of course. I figure they are going to add online for NBA Jam 2011 to make it look like the game is a much bigger improvement (now you know there are going to be numerous 'sequels').

EA doesn't deserve my money. I'll buy it used when it is at least $15-20.

Apenheul

I got this game for free so I can't reasonably take part in a pricepoint debate but to me online would not be worth waiting / paying extra for. It's a very poor substitute for local-multiplayer, the same way I don't care for online with fighting games. I didn't have four classic controllers so sometimes I play with the wiimote+nunchuck combination which also works very well and dunking (with rumble) feels quite satisfying. My advice to people on the fence: wait until the price drops and just buy the cheapest version. Single player isn't much fun, this game only really shines with three friends on the couch.

This game bombed didn't it :(

I brought this over my buddies house last weekend and it brought back so many memories for everybody. We grabbed some beers and sat around talking shit at each other and laughing at the hilarity on the screen. At the end of the night you could always find someone playing a game of NBA Jam. It's great fun, not quite sure that fun translates into playing it by yourself...Most of my friends don't play games at all anymore but everyone had a blast with it.

MikeE21286 said:
This game bombed didn't it :(

I brought this over my buddies house last weekend and it brought back so many memories for everybody. We grabbed some beers and sat around talking shit at each other and laughing at the hilarity on the screen. At the end of the night you could always find someone playing a game of NBA Jam. It's great fun, not quite sure that fun translates into playing it by yourself...Most of my friends don't play games at all anymore but everyone had a blast with it.

Was there any figure out? I didn't know that. I still have to buy the game all though i played it a lot over the week at friends house.

farnham

Banned
Apenheul said:
Wow :lol

Now there's really no more reason to buy the Wii version unless you don't own a PS3/360.
isnt the wii version 29.99 pounds too ? zavvi is selling it at that price

bumpkin

MyEpitomeCliché said:
Just noticed that Gamestop has listed the PS3 and 360 version for $49.99 with a release date of November 16th.
If true, I hope GameStop offers some sort of "Power Trade" incentive towards it (extra 25%); if so, my copy of the Wii version is going back where it came from. :D

Apenheul

I noticed how the Jam Challenges (achievements) don't show the Republicans and Democrats teams, is there any way you can earn those or are they only unlockable using codes?

Kolgar

I too got the game through the TRU sale and the Wii version is going to scratch my NBA Jam itch just fine.

Turns out the Wii controls are pretty fun to use, and the game looks great and runs as smooth as a baby's butt.

As I'm more a local-multiplayer kind of guy, this is the only version of the game I'm going to need.

EA may have bungled every other aspect of the marketing and release of this game, but the team behind its development honored the source material and did a damn fine job.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I'll probably grab it for ps3. I got to play for a while on Wii and it is ridiculously fun. Really wish it had online :(, reading that post up above is just awful. Makes me curious though, how can you modify the game? Like custom characters and attributes? Could be interesting.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Getting the 360 version--add me to your Friends list so we can play later this week!

XBL tag: Liegedog

Top Bottom