• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA JAM |OT| Whoomp, there it is!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
mj1108 said:
The sad thing is, penalizing people for quitting should have been in the shipped version. Sure sounds like they rushed the PS3 and 360 versions out to make the holidays and figure they can just patch whatever isn't in it or is broken after it ships.

Oh, I'm positive they rushed it out. I just was asking about the video I thought I saw a couple weeks ago about them updating online.

mik

mik is unbeatable
I was under the impression that patch was to add the content from the Wii version, but online. Then they managed to shit it out in time for the release, so that update won't happen.

I don't know--I'll be shocked to see this game supported in any way by EA.

YagizY

Having played both extensively, does anyone else like the original much more? I feel like the gameplay has changed too much for the worse. Their is a huge emphasis on performing alley-oops and shooting is virtually useless because it is super easy to block shots. I miss having a team of an excellent 3 point shooter and an excellent dunker (Orlando Magic in the original NBA Jam) and having some variety to my play style. In this version it feels like your better off just having 2 excellent dunkers.

I know it's called NBA Jam but it gets boring just slamming on the turbo and running in a straight line to dunk it at the other end every single possession. The game is basically built for you to do that.

turnbuckle

From the impressions here it looks like I'm gonna pass. I just wish they'd make an HD version of NBA Hangtime, put it online, update the trivia questions, and call it a day. :(

EA has been in a downward spiral for a couple years now. If you told me three years ago that they would mishandle BOTH their NBA franchises within the span of three months, so much so that one wouldn't even be released, I'd say you were crazy.

Whereas once they were known as the evil empire, now they're more like Rick Moranis from Spaceballs.

I wish I found out about the quitting before I bought. Already had it happen to me. I do agree that the achievements/trophies are beyond horrible.

Gameplay is fun, but does feel like EA rushed it.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
YagizY said:
Having played both extensively, does anyone else like the original much more? I feel like the gameplay has changed too much for the worse. Their is a huge emphasis on performing alley-oops and shooting is virtually useless because it is super easy to block shots. I miss having a team of an excellent 3 point shooter and an excellent dunker (Orlando Magic in the original NBA Jam) and having some variety to my play style. In this version it feels like your better off just having 2 excellent dunkers.

I know it's called NBA Jam but it gets boring just slamming on the turbo and running in a straight line to dunk it at the other end every single possession. The game is basically built for you to do that.

I actually like this one more. I think the blocking is MUCH better in this one and adds another dimension to the gameplay that was near impossible in the original.

That said, the fact that they didn't include the option to control your teammate (tag mode), turning off CPU assistance, and penalties for quitting online is inexcusable.

WillyFive

Barkley's Justice said:
i cant believe this game is getting no play.

i agree it shoulda been a download. but i just never thought so few people would actually pick it up...

I don't think it should have been a download.

But I just can't see the reason as to why this game isn't getting attention.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Bought it over the weekend so me and my gf could have another game to play together. She really, really enjoyed it. After a couple of games she got the controls down and was having a blast.

derFeef

Willy105 said:

There is no advertising imho, so word-of-mouth is very important here. Game is only coming out in a few days here in Europe so maybe it well get more attention soon. I can´t wait for it - me and a buddy are set for some rad online sessions. Have not played Jam for AGES.

Willy105 said:

because the franchise has been dead to consumers for about 15 years? They needed to support its resurrection with a lot more marketing money than they did. Even then, it's built on the same old game mechanics that were cool 15 years ago and ultimately evolved into NBA Street. this game is asking consumers to step back to 1995, but with better graphics. I got my fill on my SNES. Too bad I didn't know it before picking this game up. :lol

turnbuckle

Plinko said:
I actually like this one more. I think the blocking is MUCH better in this one and adds another dimension to the gameplay that was near impossible in the original.

That said, the fact that they didn't include the option to control your teammate (tag mode), turning off CPU assistance, and penalties for quitting online is inexcusable.

whoa whoa whoa really?

Definite no buy.

Apenheul

I had never played any NBA Jam game before this one, and although I had a lot of fun for the first couple of hours with friends and it only cost me 20 euros it's the only title I've bought this year for which I have buyers-remorse.

Captain N

How many people are on the leaderboard(s)? I hope there is a good amount of people online playing the game by the end of the holidays.

Plinko

turnbuckle said:
whoa whoa whoa really?

Definite no buy.

Yes, it is beyond insane for them not to include it.

Plinko said:
Yes, it is beyond insane for them not to include the option to control your teammate (tag mode).

this is sort of a big deal for me. i even consulted amazon's return policy it bothered me so much (you can't return opened video games)

i honestly don't understand the logic of ea omitting it.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Plinko said:

Needs a patch or to be dirt cheap for me to buy then.

I dunno, I think the game is pretty damn great. I finished the Remix Tour 100% yesterday. The CPU AI is fucking beyond ridiculous, and playing a game of 21, Domination, or Elimination against three of them at one time is a nightmare that is only relieved by spamming the juke and hoping to catch fire. Online is totally busted, out of the ten matches I played over the weekend only one or two actually finished without someone raging out. There's a lot of reasons as to why this game isn't getting any attention, be it price, time of release, lack of marketing, or maybe the audience just isn't there. I mean, I grew up playing Jam in the arcades and on my SNES, so this game feels great and is a lot of fun for me, but I wonder how many people who pumped quarters into the arcade or played it on the SNES/Genesis all those years ago actually even play or care about video games today?

careful

Plinko said:

WTF????

i returned mine. i couldnt justify the $50 i spent on a game where i can't control both my players. the quitting online games *might* get patched, *might*...but honestly i can't see them fixing the tag team thing.

Plinko

Barkley's Justice said:
this is sort of a big deal for me. i even consulted amazon's return policy it bothered me so much (you can't return opened video games)

i honestly don't understand the logic of ea omitting it.

Knowing EA, NBA JAM 11 will have the "new" feature of controlling all your players.

That said, I'm still irritated they haven't patched the online yet. Absolutely inexcusable.

turnbuckle

Ninja Scooter said:
the no tag thing makes it a no buy for me. C'mon that's the VERY first thing I would go into the options and change in the SNES version.

No kidding. I could justify it at a bargain bin price even with the online issues but no tag mode killed any interest whatsoever.

C Jones

Plinko said:
Knowing EA, NBA JAM 11 will have the "new" feature of controlling all your players.

That said, I'm still irritated they haven't patched the online yet. Absolutely inexcusable.
Tournament Edition, $10 DLC

I never turned on tag mode since I was so used to the arcade version, so it's not really a big deal to me. I can see why people would want it though.

DrDogg

When this was announced I was upset it was only on the Wii. Then I was upset I had to buy Elite to get the 360 version. Then I was upset it wasn't simply a downloadable game, and there was no classic version (HD Remix) for XBLA. Now I'm upset because the game just seems like ass. :lol

If it was a $15-20 downloadable XBLA game, I'd probably still pick it up despite the severe issues. But as it stands, there's no way I'll be picking this one up.

Good job EA... -_-

SreyB

After playing this for several hours, I gotta say this is probably the most fun I've had with three other dudes. I really like some of the new modes. 21 in particular is a crazy fun -- lots of hooting and hollering when someone goes for the put back (when scored takes 10 points off of the initial shooter's score).

Now, if EA decides to make Tournament Edition or a sequel, here's what I would like to see fixed/changed:

1. AI that doesn't act like douche. It's ridiculous at times. It's like a switch gets flipped and it does what it wants. If it wants to steal the ball from you, IT WILL - there is nothing you can do.

2. Too easy to block shots. Man - it really doesn't pay to pick a shooter in this game!

3. Super star stats are way, way too high. Kobe, Lebron, and Wade end up not being used because they are just too overpowered. We have a NO SUPERSTAR rule when we play multiplayer and we have more fun that way.

bumpkin

Plinko said:

I actually noticed something last night. Though you can't control your teammate's actions in Classic Campaign, you can in Play Now games. It still sucks that it's not across all modes, though; and not being able to shut off the CPU assistance is bullshit. I got screwed in an online game last night where this dude threw up a prayer at the end of OT -- full length of the court -- and swished it for the win. Especially when me and my teammate were both in his face jumping/trying to block it.

Edit: Now mind you, I'm playing the Xbox 360 version. I no longer have the Wii version so I can't double check to see if it's true on that as well.

I hate the controls.... I used to be able to dunk from everywhere... no I dunk ... once in a while It's like the cpu's deciding when I can dunk. PS3 btw.

What the fuck is wrong with this. NBA street was twelve times more fun than this.

Glix

Dash Kappei said:
It says GallOnari in your copy? He's Gallinari in mine :p

I just noticed this response to my post...

Have you ever actually WATCHED a Knick game? Just curious. Its like you're knocking me for something that you are completely ignorant about.

He is called Gallo. Every time. By every announcer.

Just sayin'

BJK

My gripe: Since the turbo buttons are only assigned to the left triggers (PS3), My SF4 CE fightstick is virtually unplayable. (FYI, the layout has the base 4 buttons, then a column of the right triggers, then the left.) For a game that seems a lot like the arcade version that I remember, it sucks that I can't reassign the buttons on an arcade stick to play the game properly.

(Pretty sure this was a standard feature of the 16-bit versions of the game; really shabby programming if they don't patch this.)

YagizY

Bought this game for $30 from Kmart because of the deal they are having currently. I'm on PSN, please add me if you want to play.

PSN = YagizY

YagizY said:
Bought this game for $30 from Kmart because of the deal they are having currently. I'm on PSN, please add me if you want to play.

PSN = YagizY

I think I'm gonna pick it up at KMart today, so feel free to add me.

PSN - Distantmantra

The KMart deal is pretty good. It may be worth it at that price.

But I just checked online and it says the NXE install size for this is 1.3GB?

So what's EA's reasoning on this and not making this a XBLA/PSN game? Do you think it'll still become a downloadable game later down the road?

bumpkin

The Bookerman said:
I hate the controls.... I used to be able to dunk from everywhere... no I dunk ... once in a while It's like the cpu's deciding when I can dunk. PS3 btw.

What the fuck is wrong with this. NBA street was twelve times more fun than this.
I recall even the old Jam games having some degree of restriction on when/where you can dunk from. If someone was in the paint remotely in your vicinity, take-off was denied. That aspect doesn't feel any different; maybe you should boot up the original in MAME or something for a refresher.

At any rate, I'm surprised someone went as far as returning the game just because "tag mode" isn't present. Especially when IT IS when you do "play now" games, at least on the 360 version (which I imagine is identical to PS3).

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
The KMart deal is pretty good. It may be worth it at that price.

The price was right, but good lord, the Kmart I bought it at was incredibly disorganized and downright creepy inside.

I'm reading some things in other forums about how the buzzer beater shots are screwed up in this game and that the game ends abruptly right when it hits the rim without giving the ball time to bounce in.

Is this true?

How are the buzzer beaters in this game?

bumpkin

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
I'm reading some things in other forums about how the buzzer beater shots are screwed up in this game and that the game ends abruptly right when it hits the rim without giving the ball time to bounce in.

Is this true?

How are the buzzer beaters in this game?
What you've read is true, but it only pertains to shots that hit the rim; any shot that's definitely going in will finish (swished jumpers, layups, etc.). I have also noticed that there's nowhere near as much "rattle" to shots. You don't get any shots that rattle in the rim and go in (or pop out). They're pretty much one bounce and they're away from the rim.

bumpkin said:
What you've read is true, but it only pertains to shots that hit the rim; any shot that's definitely going in will finish (swished jumpers, layups, etc.). I have also noticed that there's nowhere near as much "rattle" to shots. You don't get any shots that rattle in the rim and go in (or pop out). They're pretty much one bounce and they're away from the rim.
OK. That explains it. Thanks.

How about half-court shots? Some guy was saying the game ends when the ball is in the air as the time runs out and doesn't even make it to the rim.

Does that happen? Or does the game end if it goes in or when it hits the rim?

mik

mik is unbeatable
I've had the horn sound and the game end with the ball in mid-air. The result of the shot wasn't going to decide the game, so maybe that's why, but I still found it odd (read: stupid).

mik said:
I've had the horn sound and the game end with the ball in mid-air. The result of the shot wasn't going to decide the game, so maybe that's why, but I still found it odd (read: stupid).
Yeah, whether it goes in or not, it should still let the shot continue.

But what you said makes sense. I'm sure the game won't end abruptly if the shot could win the game.

By the way, anyone win with a buzzer beater from half-court yet?

bumpkin

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
OK. That explains it. Thanks.

How about half-court shots? Some guy was saying the game ends when the ball is in the air as the time runs out and doesn't even make it to the rim.

Does that happen? Or does the game end if it goes in or when it hits the rim?
I actually lost an online match after an intense overtime to a full-court prayer of a shot. I then got a really sporting message from the other player on my team blaming *me* for the loss, despite then turning the ball over just as badly. To top it off, they rarely passed when I was wide open and they were double-teamed.

DrMungo

Why is this game getting so much hate? I picked this up at TRU for $25 from the B1G1 half off, but now I wonder if it was worth it. I played co-op on the Wii a month back and it was some of the most fun.

I read over the unlockables, and it seems like that would be a huge amount of content if it was simply DLC.

Does anyone like this game?

Def Jukie

Is it possible to turn on tag mode through homebrew on the wii? I'm thinking of picking this up for the wii if that is possible. I still can't believe that is not in the options.

DrMungo

yeah, the CPU teammate is even less competent than in the SNES NBA Jam. It can be infuriating. Tag mode would have helped alot. I'm shocked this wasn't in there. I had only played Co-op the first time around so I didn't notice. Also you can't even map the buttons or choose from different arrangements to your liking. Which makes this playing on my SF4 joystick near impossible. And also its something that's been a staple of the SNES era.

Jesus Christ EA, you could have just taken the SNES game engine and put on HD graphics and throw in online lobbies (Like SSF2 HD Remix) and I would have been happy.

Its still fun with a friend, and a good party game I guess. Since the sales are so bad, its unlikely EA will have any DLC support. A simple patch can really fix a lot of the issues (and even convince some people on the fence to buy it).

+++

Edit: I have to redact some comments. After giving this a few more days and a few more hours, the computer teammate is starting to go for blocks. Although once in a while he just stands motionless in front of a jumper. His defense is a B or B- now compared to when I first started playing.

My comments on the controls still stand.

Top Bottom