• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason 2017 |OT| Only Big Ballers™ Allowed *please pay $495 to be a Big Baller

TTG

920x920.jpg

jbug617

Banned
Woj cosigns the C's are going after Heyward and George combo. If they miss out on Heyward they go after Griffin to team with George
https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-celtics-working-land-gordon-hayward-paul-george-181020436.html

The Boston Celtics are pursuing an aggressive summer plan of sequencing the signing of free agent Gordon Hayward and relinquishing the assets needed to complete a trade for Paul George, league sources told The Vertical.

For salary-cap purposes, Boston wants a Hayward commitment before it can finalize a trade for George and secure the most dynamic free-agent coup in franchise history, league sources said.

For Boston, here’s the hitch: While Indiana believes Boston can offer the best possible package, the Pacers may be unwilling to wait until the start of July free agency on Boston’s timetable and could turn toward making a deal elsewhere for George, league sources told The Vertical.

Boston has maneuvering to do with its roster, including the shedding of salaries to create space to position itself for this scenario. Boston has contingencies in place to make deals and start a possible Hayward-George scenario toward fruition, league sources told The Vertical.

Boston believes they can sign George to an extension.

The Celtics have a growing confidence they could sign George to a contract extension, and keep him from leaving to his predetermined free-agent destination of the Los Angeles Lakers, league sources told The Vertical. Boston’s belief that it can make George more than a one-year rental is fueling the franchise’s willingness to part with a significant package of assets, league sources said.

He wouldn't sign the extension now. It's more a agreement to sign a deal after the season like KG did.

So you are going to give up a bunch of assets to trade for a guy who is from La and has made it known he wants to be in LA on some "handshake" ageeement? And are they going to be willing to give up more than rental price to Indy to get him even though he is still technically a rental? Something doesn't add up.

So I don't know why this idea isn't discussed more regarding the Paul George possible trade: why not let him go to the Lakers, and very likely be on a bad team that he decides he doesn't like being on?

Zach Lowe has mentioned multiple times he knows for a fact that there are executives/teams across the league interested in Paul George and hopeful that he ends up on the Lakers so that this situation plays out.

So I don't know why this idea isn't discussed more regarding the Paul George possible trade: why not let him go to the Lakers, and very likely be on a bad team that he decides he doesn't like being on?

Zach Lowe has mentioned multiple times he knows for a fact that there are executives/teams across the league interested in Paul George and hopeful that he ends up on the Lakers so that this situation plays out.

Because if teams back off he won't be traded and will walk to LA as a free agent. Lakers aren't trading for him if there are no other bidders.

Because if teams back off he won't be traded and will walk to LA as a free agent. Lakers aren't trading for him if there are no other bidders.

Good point on the back off thing.

I think you could probably split it into a couple of categories regarding teams interested in Paul George:

1) Teams that think they can convince him to stay
2) Teams satisfied with a 1 year rental if that ends up being the situation
3) Teams wanting the Lakers to trade for him and for him to be dissatisfied with them the next off-season
4) Teams that don't think they have a shot at him
5) The Lakers

From the guy who reported the George/Hayward thing last week says Boston offer to Indy is:

LAL/PHI/SAC Pick
19' MEM or LAC Pick
Crowder
$$ Filler (Zeller or Bradley are talked about)
https://twitter.com/AdamMKaufman/status/879778246853873665

He's the guy that reported they had an extension agreed upon. I'd take with a grain of salt.

That said, determining which assets would be in play in a potential Bos/Ind deal doesn't exactly require an insider source.

Cornbread78

From the guy who reported the George/Hayward thing last week says Boston offer to Indy is:

LAL/PHI/SAC Pick
19' MEM or LAC Pick
Crowder
$$ Filler (Zeller or Bradley are talked about)
https://twitter.com/AdamMKaufman/status/879778246853873665

That is a good deal if they are not giving up Brown/Tatum. Giving up the Brooklyn pick of those top draft picks would be stupid if you cannot sign George long-term...

George has already made plans with Bron for next year....

RedAssedApe

Banned
I've warmed up to him aswell. If his kid is the real deal, then I Love Lavar Ball! If his kid sucks, well, I'll go back to hating him.
If his kid(s) bust I'll just be "at least we have Lavar"

He'd basically be wwe superstar heel that thinks he's the shit and has mic skills but always takes the L in the big moments. Which essentially turns him into a baby face lol

Servbot24

Banned
I understand Spurs or Cavs trying to rent George, but I don't think it makes sense for Boston. It still makes winning the ECF iffy, and still no chance at beating GSW. And then you've gained nothing for the following years when the playing field would have been more open.

So, so far, regarding playoff positions, Warriors, Spurs, and Rockets (and Blazers imo if Nurkic is healthy) seem like locks for the playoffs in the West.

The West doesn't have any guaranteed playoff drops asides from the Clippers is both of their stars leave (I also doubt Blake staying gets them to the playoffs, but it's possible), and most likely the Jazz if they lose both Hayward and Hill.

The big risers in the West for teams that missed the playoffs seem to be the Timberwolves, Pelicans, Nuggets, and the Mavs (I'm putting this here because they did a pretty good job restocking on young talent and Carlisle has regularly gotten undeserving teams to the playoffs)

In the West, the Kings, and 90% most likely the Suns and Lakers, seem like locks for being bad teams, although this likely changes if Lakers get Paul George.

In the East, the Cavs, Celtics, Wizards, and Bucks seem like locks for the playoffs.

The Bulls will be missing the playoffs. The Pacers will be missing the playoffs if Paul George leaves, unless they get a return of Love or something for him. If the Hawks do lose Millsap (atm it sounds like they DO have a walk-away price for him), they're most likely out the playoffs as well.

The big risers in the East for teams that missed the playoffs seem to be the Heat, Hornets, and possibly the Sixers?

In the East, the Bulls, Pacers without Love or Paul George, Magic, and Knicks all seem like locks for being utterly terrible.

Didn't list the Hawks here because they already seem to have good young players, and they have a good coach that emphasizes a style of team basketball and so I wouldn't be surprised if they get a bunch of weird wins.

Basically, it seems like the West is going to be a total bloodbath next year.

Tom Penny

I understand Spurs or Cavs trying to rent George, but I don't think it makes sense for Boston. It still makes winning the ECF iffy, and still no chance at beating GSW. And then you've gained nothing for the following years when the playing field would have been more open.
PG IT Hayward and AL can be a finals team if Cavs don't improve. I doubt they sign him without assurance but you never know.

PG IT Hayward and AL can be a finals team if Cavs don't improve. I doubt they sign him without assurance but you never know.

I think the Celts would absolutely trade for PG without assurance, they are going to have to (and plan their offer accordingly) Unless he has some Danny Ainge epiphone he's going to hit free agency. Zach Lowe brought up a good point that this summer is now or never for the Celtics and their to get max player(s). After PG there isn't really another super star on the market, and next season they are going to have to pay some of their homegrown guys. I think Danny is going to have to roll the dice on George.

So, so far, regarding playoff positions, Warriors, Spurs, and Rockets (and Blazers imo if Nurkic is healthy) seem like locks for the playoffs in the West.

The West doesn't have any guaranteed playoff drops asides from the Clippers is both of their stars leave (I also doubt Blake staying gets them to the playoffs, but it's possible), and most likely the Jazz if they lose both Hayward and Hill.

The big risers in the West for teams that missed the playoffs seem to be the Timberwolves, Pelicans, Nuggets, and the Mavs (I'm putting this here because they did a pretty good job restocking on young talent and Carlisle has regularly gotten undeserving teams to the playoffs)

In the West, the Kings, and 90% most likely the Suns and Lakers, seem like locks for being bad teams, although this likely changes if Lakers get Paul George.

In the East, the Cavs, Celtics, Wizards, and Bucks seem like locks for the playoffs.

The Bulls will be missing the playoffs. The Pacers will be missing the playoffs if Paul George leaves, unless they get a return of Love or something for him. If the Hawks do lose Millsap (atm it sounds like they DO have a walk-away price for him), they're most likely out the playoffs as well.

The big risers in the East for teams that missed the playoffs seem to be the Heat, Hornets, and possibly the Sixers?

In the East, the Bulls, Pacers without Love or Paul George, Magic, and Knicks all seem like locks for being utterly terrible.

Didn't list the Hawks here because they already seem to have good young players, and they have a good coach that emphasizes a style of team basketball and so I wouldn't be surprised if they get a bunch of weird wins.

Basically, it seems like the West is going to be a total bloodbath next year.

How you gonna just ignore the Raptors in the East like that? They're better than every team outside of the Cavs in the East.

Vahagn

Ainge is interested in trading for everyone but then never does.

You would think the point of accumulating so many draft picks would be to have the luxury to overpay for game-changing caliber players but he never does.

Golum ain't doing shit.

I think the Celts would absolutely trade for PG without assurance, they are going to have to (and plan their offer accordingly) Unless he has some Danny Ainge epiphone he's going to hit free agency. Zach Lowe brought up a good point that this summer is now or never for the Celtics and their to get max player(s). After PG there isn't really another super star on the market, and next season they are going to have to pay some of their homegrown guys. I think Danny is going to have to roll the dice on George.

George is going to walk. Why not just sign Hayword, Pass on Griffin and his balky knees and hope to land one of those dominating Bigs coming out in the next draft.

Bread

Banned
Ainge is interested in trading for everyone but then never does.

You would think the point of accumulating so many draft picks would be to have the luxury to overpay for game-changing caliber players but he never does.

Golum ain't doing shit.
It's almost like he doesn't want to overpay and is willing to take his chances on the draft.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
And it's exactly as expected. Danny thinks he can resign george despite him making it as clear as possible he is going elsewhere. Fuck this if he parts with that LAL/Sac pick.

Sandfox

??? What is this referring to?

This as well? Are these comments on the Awards Show last night? Someone compared Curry and his marriage to GET OUT?

Drake asked Harden what his favorite thing about playing in Houston is and he answered "the organization and culture". Drake even called him out on how fake that answer was.

The most ridiculous thing is writers determine all NBA which can determine supermax and like 70 million more dollars for a player.

It's pretty much a fucked system the way it is, because when you break it down, teams that get the most exposure on television are also the ones who will get heavily favored by the time voting commences.

How you gonna just ignore the Raptors in the East like that? They're better than every team outside of the Cavs in the East.

Is Lowry staying or nah? How about Ibaka? If Lowry leaves, will Masai consider a one year retooling of sorts?

Idk, there are more questions regarding the Raptors, even though I love DeRozan and his work ethic.

Is Lowry staying or nah? How about Ibaka? If Lowry leaves, will Masai consider a one year retooling of sorts?

Idk, there are more questions regarding the Raptors, even though I love DeRozan and his work ethic.

From the rumours circulating it seems that both Lowry and Ibaka will both be back with the Raptors. I'm more concerned with how much money they'll give Lowry and Ibaka. Hopefully neither of them land a max contract.

TTG

Remember when Boston tried to trade like 6 picks for Justice Winslow at the draft? I'm not surprised the Pacers aren't buying it.

Top Bottom