• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA men's basketball 2011-2012 OT: Lockout edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pollux

mre said:
Holy shit, Kentucky. Have some god damn pity you heartless fucks.
KuGsj.gif
No. I want at least 115 by the end of the game.

NewLib

Banned
Kentucky is just such a good defense team. Davis might not be a polished offensive player yet, but he is going to be a dominant interior defender.

Pollux

NewLib said:
Kentucky is just such a good defense team. Davis might not be a polished offensive player yet, but he is going to be a dominant interior defender.
That play where he got mauled and thrown into the camera men but still scored....that was amazing. If Cal hadn't put in Polson we would have 100 points in the half.

I don't care that this is just a scrimmage. That's crazy.

Kalnos

Banned
I'm glad they're looking good now considering how fast Kansas is coming up.

Too bad we couldn't beat them say.. 155-91? :p

Proelite

Hypothetically speaking, if you take two high scoring teams such as UK and UNC and have them play each other, who would score more in 40 minutes?

Proelite said:
Hypothetically speaking, if you take two high scoring teams such as UK and UNC and have them play each other, who would score more in 40 minutes?

We'll have the chance to find out in December, it's going to be a good one.

Pollux

Seth C said:
Of course they are. They assumed that they could buy him by giving his sister a scholarship and trash talking Cal. Oops.
Do we know if the sister still has the volleyball scholarship?

Bowser

Pretty excited about the Carrier Classic tomorrow night. Hope it's a good game, although I wouldn't mind a UNC blowout either :)

Bowser

bucknuticus said:
How the fuck is this gonna work, wont the wind fuck with shit?

Eh, I think people are making too much about the potential effects of the elements. These guys have all played games outdoors before, I'm sure they'll be able to adjust after a few minutes.

Bowser said:
Eh, I think people are making too much about the potential effects of the elements. These guys have all played games outdoors before, I'm sure they'll be able to adjust after a few minutes.

IDK, it just seems like a really dumb gimmick to me. Takes a lot of what makes college basketball great out of the equation.

iamblades

Bowser said:

Plus its not like either team is the kind of sharpshooting team that wind would really mess with from what I know about them. It's going to be all about defense and points in the paint.

We know UNC shouldn't be taking many outside shots with the size they have on the front line, so the wind should only further help discourage them from taking a bunch of dumb threes early in the clock.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Bowser said:
Pretty excited about the Carrier Classic tomorrow night. Hope it's a good game, although I wouldn't mind a UNC blowout either :)

I'm actually looking forward to it as well, and not because I think yo will lose (Izzo is UNC's bitch, we all know this) but I think its a cool opportunity and experience.

Not looking forward to Belmont. I'm telling you its going to be close and they could win. I don't think our team is really defined yet so we're going to take some bumps early. I just hope it pays off in Feb-March and doesn't turn into 2007.

OP you might want to correct the first post. This is the 3rd time in 3 years that kentucky has had the number one recruiting class according to Rivals and Scout. What recruiting service were you looking at?

Amory

UConn starting the season against Columbia tonight...not the most exciting game in the world but I'll take it.

ESPN's preview of the game makes doubly sure everyone knows that Jim Calhoun won't be coaching the game because he's serving his suspension (he's not, that's for the first three Big East games, but whatever).

Does anyone know if a game is on ESPN U do they also stream it on ESPN3?

Speaking of MSU, they just picked up one of the best guards for 2012 in Gary Harris.

As the season really kicks off today I thought I'd throw up my B10 predictions now...

Final Standings
1. Ohio State
2. Michigan State
3. Illinois
4. Wisconsin
5. Purdue
6. Michigan
7. Minnesota
8. Northwestern
9. Indiana
10. Iowa
11. Nebraska
12. Penn State

The top 2 and bottom 3 are set in stone for me. Anything can happen with the teams between 3 and 9 though. What a crazy season this will be. I think Illinois are going to surprise quite a few and Michigan will disappoint (I think they'll make the tourney, but don't think they are a Top 20 team).

As for the end of year awards, its a big man partay
BTPOY - Jared Sullinger, OSU
BTFOY - Cody Zeller, IU
Most Improved - Meyers Leonard, ILL

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I don't think there is a single position where Illinois is better than Michigan and we are a much better coached team. Leonard is a 5 and 5 player at best. He was terrible all summer for team USA and he has the worst coach in the conference trying to develop him. you guys also have no PG. Sam still has a bad wheel and Abrams is terrible.

Michigan St a lock for second is also pretty laughable. Not saying they can't finish there but its no where near a lock. Lucas was their only player with any heart last year and they are trying to replace him with a combo guard from Valpo.

Brian Fellows said:
I don't think there is a single position where Illinois is better than Michigan and we are a much better coached team. Leonard is a 5 and 5 player at best. He was terrible all summer for team USA and he has the worst coach in the conference trying to develop him. you guys also have no PG. Sam still has a bad wheel and Abrams is terrible.

Michigan St a lock for second is also pretty laughable. Not saying they can't finish there but its no where near a lock. Lucas was their only player with any heart last year and they are trying to replace him with a combo guard from Valpo.

Its just one man's opinion, man. We shall see!

Seth C said:
Of course they are. They assumed that they could buy him by giving his sister a scholarship and trash talking Cal. Oops.

Sounds like Vandy and Kevin Stallings were the worst offenders in his recruitment. That's who Cal's letter or whatever is in response to.

I AM READY. The road to #8 begins tonight. Marist, the line is like 35. I take UK to cover. It shall be epic. Our official coming out party will be against Kansas in MSG on Tuesday, though. Then the world will take notice Dec 3.

UNC, you better not fuck it up by losing before the 3rd. I want you to be undefeated coming into Rupp. Cal hasn't lost at home yet, and it won't start then.

damn I love college basketball.

thefro

unc-workout-10jpg-c149f3e9af1f1810.jpg

Pretty cool. IU plays at the same time so I'll be watching that though.

Outdoor Miner, I think that 2-10 in the B1G are wide open. I don't think MSU is a "lock" to be 2nd and Iowa's going to be in the mix with the logjam in the middle of the conference as well. I could see them ending up 5th or 6th this year.

thefro

bucknuticus said:
Could fans actually buy tix to the carrier game? Or is it going to be all like military dudes?

All military + players' families is what I remember reading a few months ago.

Bowser

bucknuticus said:
Could fans actually buy tix to the carrier game? Or is it going to be all like military dudes?

Only 700 tickets were available to UNC (probably the same amount for MSU):

With only 700 tickets available (most of the 7,000 seats in the open-air stands are reserved for the five branches of the military), officials had to decide how to divvy them up. The solution: about 100 to the chancellor's office, about 100 to the basketball office and roughly 500 to the Rams Club, the athletic department booster organization. The largest donors shelled out $4,000 per couple to help defray any school expenses not covered by the game's promoters.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...nson-carrier-classic-nears-college-basketball

Yowch.

DominoKid

Having been on an aircraft carrier a few times, I have no idea who thought it'd be cool to play a game on there in the open. Maybe in a hanger. But its too goddamn windy in my experiences.

Although I'm assuming the organizers of this game are smarter than me and they considered those problems.

enewtabie

Can't wait to see UNC play tonight. Back to College Basketball,oh yeah.
I should be able to get to the Dean dome for a few games this year. Hell I think I might
ride over to Franklin St and eat supper and watch some of it.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Oh yeah, North Florida. I HOPE YOU'RE READY BECAUSE THE PAIN CABOOSE IS COMING FOR YOU TONIGHT. WOOOOOWOOOO!

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
mre said:
Oh yeah, North Florida. I HOPE YOU'RE READY BECAUSE THE PAIN CABOOSE IS COMING FOR YOU TONIGHT. WOOOOOWOOOO!

The pain caboose?

ah anyway...I see the UNC fans are crawling out of the woodwork. I suppose there will be a few more of you this season... I hate living here this time of year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom