• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball 2010-2011 Season OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
DY_nasty said:
holy shit barnes :lol

that was pretty bad there. 0-15?

As fun as it is to laugh at UNC's misfortune, this also confirms that that the Big 10 is going to rape the ACC this year like a 16 year cheerleader on roofies at a frat party.

NewLib

Banned
Lets all appreciate that Auburn is 0-2 against UNC Asheville and Samford. I dont think Tony Barbee realized how bad the Auburn basketball program is when he took the job.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Bowser said:
I'm on a bus to DC right now and just checked the box score...Barnes went 0-14? Jesus fuck.
Zeller had 2 rebounds... I'm a lot more concerned about that to be honest.

0-15 is flukey. 2 rebounds is embarrassing.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
DY_nasty said:
Zeller had 2 rebounds... I'm a lot more concerned about that to be honest.

0-15 is flukey. 2 rebounds is embarrassing.

Zeller has a couple of nice offensive moves, like that jump hook he hit, but he's softer than Charmin.....I mean he's softer than Deon. really

Remember the Gophers did this without DeVoe Joseph...our starting or maybe rather backup PG(I'd start Nolen for his D). The Gophers should contend for the Big Ten crown. We're deep up front and Blake hasn't even gotten hot yet from downtown. I'm so excited for this season. West Virginia is going down.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
ErasureAcer said:
Remember the Gophers did this without DeVoe Joseph...our starting or maybe rather backup PG(I'd start Nolen for his D). The Gophers should contend for the Big Ten crown. We're deep up front and Blake hasn't even gotten hot yet from downtown. I'm so excited for this season. West Virginia is going down.

Outside of Butler, WVU was full of thugs and he's gone. I always respected Tubby and I hope he succeeds this year. I think you have a ways to go vs Illinois, tOSU and Mich St, just to name the big dogs. Purdue won't be a slouch even without Hummel

Proelite

truly101 said:
I'm not sure the Duke offense "subsists" at all while it is more perimeter oriented. We do have 5 players that are 6'8 or taller that play regularly as well. If the 4-5 positions combine for 25 pts between 4 guys, who cares when everyone else is dropping 14-17 on your team?

For every single year that Duke has played 3 guards and a swing in the past, they have not done well in the tournament. Hopefully by the NCAAs, both Plumlees and Ryan Kelly can prove that they can replace Zoubek and Thomas.

truly101 said:
Outside of Butler, WVU was full of thugs and he's gone. I always respected Tubby and I hope he succeeds this year. I think you have a ways to go vs Illinois, tOSU and Mich St, just to name the big dogs. Purdue won't be a slouch even without Hummel

Considering we manhandled Purdue last year in the BT tourney I'm not worried about them. Did Illinois get some amazing freshmen this year? We beat them on their homecourt last year and this Gopher squad is easily leaps and bounds better than last year's squad. I predict us to finish second behind OSU. Diebler is just off the charts...it looks like their starting five is pretty top notch. Do they have a bench? Minnesota's frountcourt is just unstoppable, especially when they work the high-low. Sampson III can knock down jumpers and can pass. Iverson is a monster on defense and the boards. And Mbwake can thunder it home. I expect Minnesota to be ranked in the top 15 after we trounce WV...and hopefully we'll land a 2 or a 3 seed come tournament time.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Proelite said:
For every single year that Duke has played 3 guards and a swing in the past, they have not done well in the tournament. Hopefully by the NCAAs, both Plumlees and Ryan Kelly can prove that they can replace Zoubek and Thomas.

If they play smart, the Plums are good for 8-10 a game, I think Kelly is actually a better basketball player (in terms of skill) than either of them, but they have the athleticism. Right now the starting lineup is Singler, KI, Nolan, Kelly and Mason. We also have Josh Hairston on the bench and can use Sing at the 4 if need be so the only reason to go small is to play another guard heavy team, or foul trouble (possible as both Plums fouled out tonight).

K has sought to create that versatile line up he had in 01. Battier and Dunleavy played more on the perimeter than typical 3/4s, but that team only had two guards so he could have Dunleavy back up the 2, Nate James play the 3 more on the inside, same with Battier to help out Boozer on the block. Also everyone on that team shot 3's whenever they felt like it, really the first Duke team to make that a primary part of the arsenal. That team could be hard to defend do to the various matchups he could exploit. This was not a large team, just very versatile.

I think thats what he's tried to create with this team, he can tweak it whichever way he wants and he has a pro caliber PG for the 1st time since 04 to run the show. Duke will never score a ton down low, they never have, but we have 3 guys that are 6'10 or taller and a 4th thats 6'9 so there is a bit of size down there, not a lot of experience though. Even as it is, Singler starts at the 3, he is not a guard in any way shape or form.

Slo

I'm not really a college basketball fan, but this seems like the perfect time to hop on the Gopher bandwagon and claim to have been there all along. In your face diehard, legit UNC fans!

**pops his jersey towards the South East**

ErasureAcer said:
Considering we manhandled Purdue last year in the BT tourney I'm not worried about them. Did Illinois get some amazing freshmen this year? We beat them on their homecourt last year and this Gopher squad is easily leaps and bounds better than last year's squad. I predict us to finish second behind OSU. Diebler is just off the charts...it looks like their starting five is pretty top notch. Do they have a bench? Minnesota's frountcourt is just unstoppable, especially when they work the high-low. Sampson III can knock down jumpers and can pass. Iverson is a monster on defense and the boards. And Mbwake can thunder it home. I expect Minnesota to be ranked in the top 15 after we trounce WV...and hopefully we'll land a 2 or a 3 seed come tournament time.

Illinois is a lot better than last year but I agree it's redic that everyone put them ahead of us when we are a lot better too. I am worried about the depth of our bench but after WVU, Armelin, Walker, and Hollins will have a lot of soft opponents to get coordinated. Rodney's jumper is still looking stupid ugly but oh well. 3 quality mid major wins + UNC this early is a huge departure from the Monson years. I was hoping for this last year but I'll def take it this one haha.

NewLib

Banned
You know this Kentucky team doesnt have the near the talent they did last year, but they are much more consistent and balanced.

NewLib said:
You know this Kentucky team doesnt have the near the talent they did last year, but they are much more consistent and balanced.

Yep. If we had a decent big (Free Enes) this team would be crazy good. We'll see how it looks when we're playing a decent team though.

jakncoke

Banned
thank god for espn360 replay for the loser bum age that fall asleep and miss the game sector of the nation. Awesome that we came away with a V though.

bill0527

Fuck me... I just read that the Portland-UK spread was 6.5 points.

Somebody out there made some bank tonight. It could have been me :(

jakncoke

Banned
The so called proclaimed god of all gods. Was 0-12 tonight lol. Still funny they throw him on top of that list that was posted the other day after just a few games, I hope he falls on face for that.

Edit: Texas final possession :lol

jakncoke said:
The so called proclaimed god of all gods. Was 0-12 tonight lol. Still funny they throw him on top of that list that was posted the other day after just a few games, I hope he falls on face for that.

Edit: Texas final possession :lol

that's a little harsh since it's not his fault everyone hyped him so much..plus this was his first game v a legit D, it's almost a sure thing that someone with his talent and Roy Williams coaching will adjust, improve, and be at least All-ACC this year

jakncoke

Banned
NEWARK, N.J. -- Seton Hall will be without its top scorer for the next few weeks.

The university announced Saturday that Jeremy Hazell broke a bone in his left wrist during the Pirates' 83-78 win over Alabama on Friday night in the first round of the Paradise Jam tournament in the Virgin Islands.

Assistant athletic director Matt Sweeney said the 6-foot-5 senior is expected to miss four to six weeks. Sweeney said Hazell was hurt in the second half when he fell and tried to brace himself.

Hazell has averaged 24 points through the season's first three games and scored a game-high 27 in the win over Alabama.

Big loss for them.

Encouraging 89-65 win for Cal last night over New Mexico at home. After graduating 4 seniors, it's going to be an up and down season for Cal, but the freshman have been playing well so far.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Michigan looking good in the first half against mighty Gardner Webb.

I know we haven't played anyone worth a damn yet but I like what I'm seeing.

Darius Morris has gone from a freshman PG whose only job was to dribble and not turn the ball over to a sophmore who can score and create for others.

Tim Hardaway Jr can shoot the lights out and finishes well around the basket.

Jordan Morgan seems to be really good at finding the open spots down low and has finished very well after getting the ball. Looks MUCH better than I was expecting.

Evan Smotrycz is a 6'8 3 point threat and also handles the ball pretty well. In the long run he'll be a much better fit for the offense than DeShawn Sims was.

Stu Douglas and Zack Novak are scrappy little role players.

Blake McLimans (6'11), Jon Horford (6'9), and Colton Christian (6'7) help give us a much taller team than we had last year.

We're probably one of the younger teams in the nation with 4 true freshmen, 2 RS freshmen, 2 sophmores, 2 juniors, and no seniors so I'm not expecting great things from this team. But I also don't expect us to be as bad as some people are predicting because we have more size, balance, and depth than we did last year.

We'll find out how good we are(n't) Friday when we play Syracuse. I'm not expecting a win but hopefully we can make them sweat a little bit. :D

DominoKid

Turnover Jesus in fine form today

giving the ball to the other team nicely
penetrating halfway before retreating like he was born to do it.

Looks pretty evident that UNC has not improved over last season.

BTW I find it funny how many Big 12 coaches have been saying that next year when the Big 12 goes down to 10 teams that the Big 12 will be the strongest basketball conference in the nation. They are basically saying Nebraska and Colorado suck at basketball. It's true though, they are the worst 2 basketball teams currently in the big 12.

Proelite

Wow UNC is fucking horrid.

Not looking forward to duke / unc since it'll be as exciting as the butcher taking out the sheep to the shed for slaughter.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Proelite said:
Wow UNC is fucking horrid.

Not looking forward to duke / unc since it'll be as exciting as the butcher taking out the sheep to the shed for slaughter.

A lot could change by February, the 05-06 holes started pretty rough as well and pretty much worked Duke the last game of the year. Right now though, it would not be close at all.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
daggerd omg

someone please drop a couple of dead strippers off in larry drew's dorm room

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
DY_nasty said:
daggerd omg

someone please drop a couple of dead strippers off in larry drew's dorm room

No need to go that far. Just put Black Santa's number in his cell phone and call the Dick Baddour. Problem solved.

Proelite

Inside Carolina on meltdown mode:
"I used to argue that Roy was a better coach than K...I now realize that I looked like a freaking moron."

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
UK is following Oregon's lead

coachcalcourt.jpg

Megaton

Neo Member
Man, I am so pumped about Rutgers' win today. This team is just devoid of Big East quality talent but it just looks well coached and plays hard and together.

GOPHERS WOOHOO!!! :lol

Iverson played big minutes tonight and we made our FTs!!! Amazing. We should coast the rest of the non-conference schedule.

tubby managed to do what uk's current coach, Cal, hasn't really been able to do: beat huggy bear. good job tubby, and next time we see you huggy, you're going down! 0-20 for 3 won't happen again.

again, good job minnesota and tubby, and huggy bear... you're going down.

Proelite

Bowser said:
God I don't think I can handle another year like last :(

Chill out. Last year's team started out strong and collapsed. This year is more like 2005-2006.

You should find some consolation that the problem is not with the players, but is with the coach. Roy is not looking good at adopting new strategies to fit his personnel, but I am pretty sure he will figure it out in time and make the NCAAs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom