• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball 2012-2013 Season |OT|

Fjordson

Cliff Alexander just cut UK from his list.

I wonder if that has anything to do with the rumors that UK is trying the hijack the Jones-Okafor package deal and take Okafor.
Eh, not getting my hopes up.

Sucks how much we fell of with Cliff. I remember an ESPN Insider article saying he would go to MSU or UK like 4-5 months ago lol. That sure changed.

I think the only frontcourt player we're going to add from here on out is Trey Lyles. Not that that's bad, he's a legit 5 star player and very good, but Alexander, Myles Turner and Jahlil Okafor are on a whole different level as far as big men go.

Coach

I just got my account activated. I will be chiming in here during the season when I have the chance.

I am from the Bluegrass state and a huge UK fan.

jakncoke

Banned
I think he died, he hasnt posted in a good while here or the CFB threads.

His last post he was ranting about mma thread turning to shit and saying he was out, that was in April. Guess he is a man of his word.

Havent really payed much attention to college basketball lately because recruiting season as a Panthers fan isnt very interesting.

On a side note, I cant be the only that thought SMU land Mudiay and think paid. How mand of the boosters or whomever responsible for the football death are kicking around :p

Fjordson

Tyus Jones canceled his official UK visit. Not too surprising, but still disappointing. 2014 will definitely be one of Calipari's weaker classes.

His last post he was ranting about mma thread turning to shit and saying he was out, that was in April. Guess he is a man of his word.

Havent really payed much attention to college basketball lately because recruiting season as a Panthers fan isnt very interesting.

On a side note, I cant be the only that thought SMU land Mudiay and think paid. How mand of the boosters or whomever responsible for the football death are kicking around :p

eh, he was probably one of those rare incoming freshmen that for whatever reason wanted to stay really close to home for college. He's from the DFW area right? When UNT, TCU, and SMU are your only DFW options...SMU is probably the best choice.

74343-Tombstone-well-bye-gif-hji0.gif

Fjordson

At first I was shocked as a UK fan when Mudiay chose SMU.

Then I think about how he's super religious, apparently lives very close to the campus, and Larry Brown offered his brother a scholarship (who played as a sophomore at a junior college last year). He said on his announcement that he's always dreamed of playing with his brother. It all kinda makes sense really. And he'll be the biggest deal in town by far. Not a terrible gig all things considered.

DominoKid

welp my school is the latest to get involved in some LOI fuckery. i say just let the dude go. there's no winning scenario for us here since its obvious he has no interest in playing for us.

our statement:

Over the past 24 hours, a handful of media members have offered their opinions on the situation between Appalachian State University's men's basketball program and Devonte Graham, a student-athlete who signed a binding NCAA National Letter of Intent to attend Appalachian State last November.

We take particular exception to the unsubstantiated and irresponsible opinion of some media members that we are holding a student-athlete "hostage." With his family's blessing and support, Devonte Graham willingly and excitedly chose to sign a National Letter of Intent with Appalachian State last November after having the opportunity to be recruited by 351 NCAA Division I programs. Furthermore, if he thought that a more desirable situation might arise in the future, he also had the option to wait until the late signing period in April to make his college choice. Since he chose to sign a binding Letter of Intent with Appalachian State, we stopped recruiting a large number of student-athletes at his position in his class who would have been grateful for the opportunity to receive a full scholarship to attend and play basketball at our great institution.

As our coaching staff fully expected, Devonte had a terrific senior season last winter and, accordingly, drew the interest of programs from what are widely recognized as "power conferences." However, due to his binding agreement with Appalachian State, other programs were not permitted by NCAA rules to contact him, be it directly or through people claiming to represent his interests. Due to our concerns that these rules were not followed and the fact that we had turned away all other potential student-athletes that could have capably filled his spot on the roster, we denied his request for a release from his binding Letter of Intent. We also made the NCAA aware of our concerns.

On the contrary to the opinion that we are holding a student-athlete "hostage," we feel like we are acting in the best interests of all student-athletes and Division I programs that operate under the principle that a National Letter of Intent is a binding agreement meant to be upheld by both the student-athlete and the institution. When that principle is not upheld by a small number of people with selfish motives, it is to the detriment of the student-athlete, the vast majority of Division I institutions (particularly mid-major programs) and all of college basketball.

While we understand that it is en vogue for the media to hammer away at the perceived bureaucracy of the NCAA, recruiting rules and guidelines are in place to protect student-athletes and NCAA institutions alike. Without them, recruiting would be utter chaos. Also, while we greatly appreciate the advocacy of the national media covering men's basketball, especially related to reforms in recruiting practices as a whole, we are confident that those who have shared their opinions over the past 24 hours are not aware of the full circumstances in this particular situation. If all of the facts regarding the situation and how it has unfolded since last spring were to come to light, we believe that the opinions that we are holding a student-athlete "hostage" would change. It would be very disappointing if not.

All of that being said, the situation is now in the hands of the NCAA and will be resolved by its governance. Therefore, we will not have any further comment on the matter.

Pollux

At first I was shocked as a UK fan when Mudiay chose SMU.

Then I think about how he's super religious, apparently lives very close to the campus, and Larry Brown offered his brother a scholarship (who played as a sophomore at a junior college last year). He said on his announcement that he's always dreamed of playing with his brother. It all kinda makes sense really. And he'll be the biggest deal in town by far. Not a terrible gig all things considered.
Didn't know any of this, but it would definitely make the decision make sense.

Cal is out west looking at players right now, do we have any idea who?

Seen a ton of video on Sanders and I've yet to really see him do anything but cherry pick for dunks and mug for the cameras. Really glad Michigan pulled back and stopped showing interest in that one.

Looks like ESPN.

Eh. We'll see. That's what coaching is for. I think Donnie Jones would sit his ass down if he's truly just focused on making big dunks without taking care of the other areas of the game and team.

I would hope so, of course!

Fjordson

Didn't know any of this, but it would definitely make the decision make sense.

Cal is out west looking at players right now, do we have any idea who?
In-home visit with Stanley Johnson I think. He's going all out on him, will probably come down to Arizona or UK.

He also offered Ivan Rabb, top 5 player for 2015 from Oakland. Plays on the same AAU team as Stanley Johnson actually. And then he offered a 2016 top 30 power forward, MJ Cage, from LA I believe.

Just left the Duke open practice. Slightly raggedy, but that's to be expected in the second practice. The Blue-White scrimmage ended in a 23-23 tie after a Jabari Parker game-saving block. A few things I noticed:

-The team is no longer alarming unathletic. Built more like the late '90s, early '00 teams, this team will beat many teams with sheer athleticism and talent.

-It's good to see Dre Dawkins back in a jersey. The stroke is still silky smooth. He's one of the best shooters in America on his good days. Hopefully he has more good days this year than bad.

-Speaking of shooting, this dude Josh Hairston turns into frickin J.J. Redick in practice. Hairston was swishing threes and making 20 footers with ease. He had a better shooting day than Rasheed and Matt Jones.

With so many teams starting their practices for this season over the 2013-2014 weekend, might I suggest that we move to a new thread? If no one else wants to make it, I'll try to get one done by the middle of next week.

Fjordson

Just left the Duke open practice. Slightly raggedy, but that's to be expected in the second practice. The Blue-White scrimmage ended in a 23-23 tie after a Jabari Parker game-saving block. A few things I noticed:

-The team is no longer alarming unathletic. Built more like the late '90s, early '00 teams, this team will beat many teams with sheer athleticism and talent.

-It's good to see Dre Dawkins back in a jersey. The stroke is still silky smooth. He's one of the best shooters in America on his good days. Hopefully he has more good days this year than bad.

-Speaking of shooting, this dude Josh Hairston turns into frickin J.J. Redick in practice. Hairston was swishing threes and making 20 footers with ease. He had a better shooting day than Rasheed and Matt Jones.

With so many teams starting their practices for this season over the 2013-2014 weekend, might I suggest that we move to a new thread? If no one else wants to make it, I'll try to get one done by the middle of next week.
Yeah, I think the new season thread is in order. That'd be dope if you could make it.

I just wish we could still have sports threads in off-topic instead of off-topic community. I feel like some people simply don't see most of the stuff in the community sections. Would probably be a lot more active, but oh well.

Also, that's awesome you got to go to an open practice. I would love to see a UK practice. How did you get it in? Just open to the public?

Yeah, I think the new season thread is in order. That'd be dope if you could make it.

I just wish we could still have sports threads in off-topic instead of off-topic community. I feel like some people simply don't see most of the stuff in the community sections. Would probably be a lot more active, but oh well.

Also, that's awesome you got to go to an open practice. I would love to see a UK practice. How did you get it in? Just open to the public?

Yeah it's Homecoming weekend and that was one of the advertised events. Disappointed that I missed it.

I am debating whether to go up to New York to see us play UCLA.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Michigan got a commitment last night from 6'7 SF Kameron Chatman (RSCI #32). He chose the Wolverines over Arizona (thought to be the favorite) and Oregon tonight during an in-home visit from Beilein.

This really saves our class and provides the coaches with a great amount of flexibility as Chatman can play anywhere from the 2 to the 4. At worst now this has become a very solid stop gap class between the 13 and what should be a very good 2015 class.

Next big decision for us comes Friday when RSCI #80 SF/PF Donte Grantham chooses between Michigan and Clemson.

Broank

Footage from Michigan's first practice. Mitch sat out with a "lower back condition".

http://youtu.be/uP1Kke2pc4s

Man I really like Walton. I think we will be better at the point then people think with him and Spike. Donnel seems like he could be a real weapon as a sharp shooting big man. I wonder if they red shirt him this year though. We have a couple experienced bigs with Morgan and Horford along with Mcgary and Bielfeldt but none of them have Donnel's particular skill set.

Michigan got a commitment last night from 6'7 SF Kameron Chatman (RSCI #32). He chose the Wolverines over Arizona (thought to be the favorite) and Oregon tonight during an in-home visit from Beilein.

This really saves our class and provides the coaches with a great amount of flexibility as Chatman can play anywhere from the 2 to the 4. At worst now this has become a very solid stop gap class between the 13 and what should be a very good 2015 class.

Next big decision for us comes Friday when RSCI #80 SF/PF Donte Grantham chooses between Michigan and Clemson.

His dad was saying Beilein was even looking at him as a 1 because of his passing (He participated in the Nike Point Guard Skills Academy) and that he could end up being 6'8" or bigger. Sounds perfect for a stretch 4 with how much they catch the ball at the top of the key in Beilein's offense.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Man I really like Walton. I think we will be better at the point then people think with him and Spike. Donnel seems like he could be a real weapon as a sharp shooting big man. I wonder if they red shirt him this year though. We have a couple experienced bigs with Morgan and Horford along with Mcgary and Bielfeldt but none of them have Donnel's particular skill set.

His dad was saying Beilein was even looking at him as a 1 because of his passing (He participated in the Nike Point Guard Skills Academy) and that he could end up being 6'8" or bigger. Sounds perfect for a stretch 4 with how much they catch the ball at the top of the key in Beilein's offense.

Yeah I have total faith in Walton. His game is very polished and he's going to be surrounded by weapons. He's not going to have to carry the team like Burke did.

I'm not sure what they are going to do with Donnal either. I do love the soft touch on his jumper though. I think I'd rather see him play even if it's just here and there. Every second he can get on the court will benefit us next year when he'll see big minutes.

And from everything I've seen and heard lately it sounds like we want Chatman to play the 2 and 3 instead of the 4 like we were originally told. Though yeah if he keeps growing I think he'd definitely transition to the 4. He probably will anyway at some point.

Fjordson

Devin Booker is set to announce his school on October 31st. Man I hope UK gets him. Need him or James Blackmon Jr. now that Rashad Vaughn has eliminated UK from his list. Or better yet, Booker and James Blackmon.

Edit: date comes from high school coach apparently, so not totally confirmed I guess.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Devin Booker is set to announce his school on October 31st. Man I hope UK gets him. Need him or James Blackmon Jr. now that Rashad Vaughn has eliminated UK from his list. Or better yet, Booker and James Blackmon.

Edit: date comes from high school coach apparently, so not totally confirmed I guess.

Yeah I Was just getting ready to post this......

Dylan Burkhardt ‏@umhoops 3h
RT @EvanDanielsFOX: Devin Booker informed me last night that he hasn't set an "official" date for an announcement. Two visits left to take.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Wait, only two? So is he down to four schools? Guessing Florida is out if that's the case.

Sounds like it. Though this also comes from the coach who jumped the gun on the decision date.

Ben Roberts ‏@NextCats 13h
Florida no longer involved in Devin Booker's recruitment, according to his coach. It's UK, Michigan, Mizzou and Michigan State.

Fjordson

Interesting.

I'd say it's Michigan or UK at this point, with Mizzou as the dark horse because of his dad's playing days there.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Yeah from what I've read his dad still wants him at Mizzou and mom would like him at Michigan but Devin is pretty set on UK.

His official to Michigan is this weekend. He's been there plenty but this is his fathers first time. Gotta win over dad if we want a real chance I think. Winning over parents is what our staff does best but this is a special circumstance and will be a much harder sell than usual.

I hate Mizzou and Sparty so I hope you're right about his final 2.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Preseason Player of the Year: Marcus Smart, Oklahoma State
Preseason Newcomer of the Year: Tarik Black, Kansas
Preseason Freshman of the Year: Andrew Wiggins, Kansas

2013-14 Preseason All-Big 12 Team
Isaiah Austin, Baylor
Cory Jefferson, Baylor
Melvin Ejim, Iowa State
Andrew Wiggins, Kansas
Markel Brown, Oklahoma State
Marcus Smart, Oklahoma State**

Woot, woot.

Fjordson

Goodluck Okonoboh committed to UNLV like half an hour ago.

To be honest, I'm a little surprised he's ranked as high as he is on some sites. Seems like a 6-9 center with almost no offensive game.

Coach

755 tents set up around Memorial Coliseum for tickets to Big Blue Madness. Just ridiculous.

BVrNE8LCQAA6GdN.jpg

I only camped out for tickets once when I was a freshman in 1999.

Top Bottom