• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need a decent widescreen gaming monitor

This is from my WoW thread, no one have answered so I've createdd this thread.

I'm thinking of buying a widescreen monitor for my PC, depends on the price. If the price was too high I might go for a widescreen HDTV, would that work?

I found this so far

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=BA22064

24-116-373-09.JPG

~$300
Technical Information:

# Attributes: Dual speakers
# Color: Black
# Response Time/Rate: 8 ms
# Viewing Angle (H/V): 160/160 degrees
# Display Type: Widescreen
# Contrast Ratio: 500:1
# Digital Video Standard: Digital Visual Interface (DVI)
# Display Size: 19 in.
# Display Technology: LCD
# Image Brightness: 300 cd/m2
# Internal Resolution (maximum): 1440 x 900
# Connector: HDDB15 15-pin (F)
# Connector: DVI digital 24-pin (F)
# Connector: Mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm (F)

what do you think?

golem

1440 isnt too bad.. and the price is pretty good. if you can swing about a hundred more i'd get the dell 2005FPW

chinch

Tenacious-V Redux
is the samsung one announced with HDCP available yet? i need a new monitor too prefer to invest in HDCP compliance this late in the game.

chinch said:
is the samsung one announced with HDCP available yet? i need a new monitor too prefer to invest in HDCP compliance this late in the game.

I'm not sure on the Samsung, but Gateway recently released a very nice 21" widescreen display. HDCP over dvi, Faroudja scaler, component in. Sweet piece of kit. $599.

element

almokla said:
but this thing has 16ms, i've been told to look for 8ms max for games especially for FPS games.
Depends. Some are 16, and some are 12. I have the Dell 2005FPW and it is awesome!! Plays FPS just fine, no visable ghosting at all.

The poblem is that PAL versions of TVs have different names and most of the times different specs.

i just want to make sure that I'm buying the right thing.

The Dell 2405FPW is great, if you can swing the $800-$900 it will cost you. It has DVI/VGA/component/composite/SVGA inputs (and picture in picture) and is 1920x1200 native resolution. I use it for PC and Xbox 360.

Pellham

Banned
I have the 2405FPW and I love it to death.
the only shitty thing is that PS2 games look like utter shit on it using a component cable (although for some reason Gamecube games look awesome). However I assume the poster was talking about PC games, and if so, the 2405FPW just can't be beat for its price.

negitoro7

BCD2 said:
I'm not sure on the Samsung, but Gateway recently released a very nice 21" widescreen display. HDCP over dvi, Faroudja scaler, component in. Sweet piece of kit. $599.

Wow that IS nice for the price. Does the Dell 2005FPW have component in as well?

Shompola

Banned
almokla said:
but this thing has 16ms, i've been told to look for 8ms max for games especially for FPS games.

Check how they measure it. Black to gray and vice versa, and white to a lesser white and vice versa is the correct way to measure. Black to white and vice versa is very fast as it is just a turn ON/OFF operation and deceiving if measured that way. So a 16ms might as well be faster than a 8ms from another manufactorer if the way they measure is not the same.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I got my 2405FPW yesturday, Im totally in love. Totally worth every penny.

Now i just need some HD cables for my Xbox.

Blaster1X said:

Amen, but I honestly don't know if my monitor stand will support that weight (around 100lbs, right?). Right now it's doing OK supporting my 19" Sony G400, which I'd think is about 2/3 of that weight, but I'm really tempted to get a FW900 since I saw it for around $250 at various places used and refurbed last week.

Anywho, after hooking up my G400 to X360 via VGA kit, my fear of FW900's unusual 16:10 aspect ratio went away since I'm forcing 16:9 on my 4:3 G400 by geometry adjustments of the guns. 16:9 on FW900 should be a cinch that way. And good lord does the Aperature Grille make X360 look fan-fucking-tastic or what?!? I'm in visual orgy heaven. All I would want is a little bigger picture that what my 19" CRt can provide with 16:9 letterboxing.

Shogmaster said:
Anywho, after hooking up my G400 to X360 via VGA kit, my fear of FW900's unusual 16:10 aspect ratio went away since I'm forcing 16:9 on my 4:3 G400 by geometry adjustments of the guns. 16:9 on FW900 should be a cinch that way. And good lord does the Aperature Grille make X360 look fan-fucking-tastic or what?!? I'm in visual orgy heaven. All I would want is a little bigger picture that what my 19" CRt can provide with 16:9 letterboxing.

Plus, the FW900 runs 4:3 content at 20" diagonal viewable screen area (I measured with a measuring tape). That's about what you'd get on a 21 or 22 inch CRT. Widescreen stuff would be a lot bigger than letterboxing a 19" 4:3. I took my 19" Mits Diamondtron to the office and use it there... Wow, after getting used to the FW900, it looks small! I never thought that would happen in all these years.

Error Macro said:
Plus, the FW900 runs 4:3 content at 20" diagonal viewable screen area (I measured with a measuring tape). That's about what you'd get on a 21 or 22 inch CRT. Widescreen stuff would be a lot bigger than letterboxing a 19" 4:3. I took my 19" Mits Diamondtron to the office and use it there... Wow, after getting used to the FW900, it looks small! I never thought that would happen in all these years.

Goddamnit you are really making me seriously consider finding myself a FW900. My monitor caddy might snap in two, but damn it, it might all be worth it to see 1280x720 progressive scan aperture grille goodness on a 24" screen ! :D

Dachande

The Dell 2005 is the best one to go for these days, I think.

Don't pay too much attention to response times. I bought my widescreen monitor last year, and even though it's rated at 25ms response time, it doesn't act like it. I've had people guess that it's as low at 8ms in the past, and they're amazed when I tell them what it really is.

I think the resolution's perfect, too - it's high enough to look really nice, and low enough so that it'll run all of today's games at a good speed with effects. The one problem you'll have with a 2005 is that unless you have a meaty bastard of a graphics card, you won't be able to run games at the highest resolution with a lot of effects on.

Can someone tell me what should i look for in a TV so I can play my PC on with a good quality?

720p with component input is enough?

negitoro7

You don't need component input to play your PC games with.

I on the other hand, will definitely want more than just DVI and VGA inputs so that I can hook up my Xbox and ps2 to it. That Dell 2005FPW doesn't have component in, so that gateway monitor that BCD2 linked to looks mighty tempting.

negitoro7 said:

I on the other hand, will definitely want more than just DVI and VGA inputs so that I can hook up my Xbox and ps2 to it. That Dell 2005FPW doesn't have component in, so that gateway monitor that BCD2 linked to looks mighty tempting.

Take a look at this thread over at Hardocp for impressions and pics of the FPD2185W.

negitoro7 said:

I mean i wanna use it as a monitor, I already connect my PC to my TV via composite, but I can read nothing, its not cclear at all.

Joeholley

I have a 2005fpw and play WoW on it all the time. It's a great gaming monitor: I also played thru HL2, D3, and Q4 on it. I'm a twitch gamer and there are no noticable refresh rate issues with that monitor. It's priced to move too - I've seen it as low as $389 on gotapex.com. I got mine when they had a nice rebate and paid about $475 for it. It's a hell of a monitor.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
When given the option to use either... Which do I choose for the 360?

VGA or Component?

Danj

DaCocoBrova said:

VGA or Component?

DVI :)

More seriously though, the picture quality on VGA and component signals should be essentially equivalent, so just pick whichever connection is more convenient (probably VGA, since it means two less cables).

DaCocoBrova

I left DVI out for obvious reasons. ;)

The reason I ask is because my LCDTV handles VGA totally differently than component as far as tweaking options go.

DaCocoBrova said:

VGA or Component?

Save your money and stick with component. Maybe if you had a fixed pixel lcd with a native res of, say, 1366 x 768, you may see a slight improvement. Also, although I haven't been keeping up, I thnk PGR3 is having issues with VGA.

edit: You do run an lcd. Someone, somewhere must done a comparo between connections on their lcd tv.

chinch

Tenacious-V Redux
BCD2 said:
thanks... i'll catchup in this thread now.

DaCocoBrova

That Gateway 21" monitor is nice!

FPD2185W also has a integrated Faroudja chip for enhanced video processing, a built-in 4 port USB hub, a 1000:1 contrast ratio, 178 degree viewing angle (both vertical and horizontal), and an 8ms pixel response time.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
If he's asking about TVs, anyone got any good hdtv suggestions in the 600-900$ range? :)

quetz67

Banned
If you dont care about space and weight the FW900 is a great decision. But an Acer 24" isnt that much more expensive.

The FW900 has the better resolution (only that you need a graphics card more expensive than the monitor to play at it). But if you use other stuff that needs high resolution its great.

24" LCD is a little more viewsize and the resolution is great for HD gaming too.

Oneself

I'm looking for a widescreen monitor to hook up to my 360 (and others using component) but I've heard the Gateway FPD2185W is too dark. Anyone has seen it here?

What's left is the 2405FPW, FW900 and Dell Ultrasharp 2005FPW.... I never had this much trouble finding a freaking screen... all I wanted back in the days was a Wega. :lol Now it's already getting old.

Fuck that, I'll stick to the Dell 2005FPW. Sony's big boy is too heavy.

DaCocoBrova

Some of you (going by how you're going to use it) should opt for a LCDTV over a vanilla LCD monitor. A lot more connection options, integrated tuner and PiP.

Top Bottom