• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need a decent widescreen gaming monitor

ok.. I think I just found the best thing EVER

Sony BRAVIA the 32" model

KLVS32A10.jpg

# 32" LCD TV
# 1 Mega Pixel HD Panel (1366 x 768 WXGA)
# Viewing Angle 178º
# Brightness: 480cd/m²
# Contrast 1000:1
# Response Time 8ms
# Multi-System TV Tuner
# Picture-In-Picture (PIP) Picture Freeze
# Light Sensor
# WEGA Gate On-Screen Guide
# PC Input (HD15)
# Audio Output: 10W x 2
# BBE Digital
# SRS TruSurround
# 30º Swivel
# 3º Front/ 8º Back Tilt

http://www.sony-mea.com/product_cat.asp?prod_cat=1&cat_a=9&cat_b=2

The 32" is $1,655
The 26" is $1,322

This is the S model the V model has HDMI output but its like $500 more for the 32" model

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
That has no digital video input. Save $500 for the HDMI one.

qirex

Weird, the US model has HDMI, are you sure it's not there? I've heard that the S-series models aren't that hot for gaming though. I'm waiting for the V32XBR to hit a price point I can get down with.

qirex said:
Weird, the US model has HDMI, are you sure it's not there? I've heard that the S-series models aren't that hot for gaming though. I'm waiting for the V32XBR to hit a price point I can get down with.

yeah.. its there in the specs if you click the link

DaCocoBrova

almokla said:
Really? it has the VGA input!! isn't that enough?

and HDMI is same as the DVi thingy on the 3D cards?

VGA (HD15) is analog.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
You won't be able to watch HD movies via anything but HDMI.

If you're in europe you won't even be able to watch HDTV without HDMI.

So all that hdtvs sold in europe without hdmi can really be used for is playing the 360.

HDMI is DVI with added copy protection stuff.

elostyle said:
You won't be able to watch HD movies via anything but HDMI.

If you're in europe you won't even be able to watch HDTV without HDMI.

awww.. that sucks, me wife won't let me buy something THAT expensive!! :p

qirex

OK, the US model of the s-series has HDMI, the Japan model does and the UK model does too [but no VGA on EU models go fig]. I'd ask around because I don't think they'd do that just for one region.

qirex said:
OK, the US model of the s-series has HDMI, the Japan model does and the UK model does too [but no VGA on EU models go fig]. I'd ask around because I don't think they'd do that just for one region.

they would.. its the Middle East.. stupid people with money

come to think of it, its cheaper here than the UK models when I checked earlier today, maybe that's why?

conker

Banned
If you insist on a flat panel display (which you do, since you want widescreen) then try to look for something with a native res of 1920 by 1080, or as close to it as possible.

This way, you avoid shit-tacular resizing issues.

How the fuck do you scale a 1920 by 1080 source to 1440 by 900?

Every 4 vertical lines become 3. I don't care how you try to use weighted averages on that, it's gonna fuck your picture.

Then you've got your 810 horizontal lines (1440 by 900 is not 16:9, you'll have 90 lines of letter boxing). 4 to 3 again.
Ass-mazing resizing again.

The downsizing ratio is 4:3 for both horizontal and vertical. You should be able to get decent results if it has some good scalars. Make sure you check the display out in a store first, preferrably with a 1920 by 1080 source. (Goes for ANY display you're considering purchasing).

But in general, I HATE scalars.

OH, that 8ms response time. It may be 16 in reality. There is no rule on how manufacturers have to measure this. The proper way (proper because it makes more sense and is more descriptive of the hardware) is to measure the time between a black-white-black transition. However, recently there has been a surge in "OMG SUPER FAST RESPONSE TIME!!!111" lcds. Response times were stuck at 16ms for the longest time, then somehow all the companies were able to crank out models at 12, 10, 8, and now some even claim 6 or 4. The most common practice is for manufacturers to measure the respone time as grey-white (or black)-grey, effectively halving the response time. But you get the same refresh rate.

8ms on a spec sheet may in fact mean 16 ms.

As always - check out the display in a store if possible, look for knowledgeable people who have it, and dig around the manufacturer's site for some harder tech info - as opposed to the marketing crap.

If you want a nice display, there are some great CRT monitors that have resolutions up to 2048 by 1536 (and higher).
They're not widescreen
They're not HDCP compliant
They're not DVI capable
They're heavy.
They're big.

But they're cheap, FAST, and provide great image quality, brightness, and contrast.

MOST IMPORTANTLY - CRTs can scan at multiple resolutions - no bullshit resizers.

I'd LOVE to see a widescreen CRT (none of this projection crap) that is HDCP (and DVI) capable. Unfortunately, it'll never happen.
Yes, I know, making the tube a 16:9 ratio would be difficult, especially when trying to keep it flat. And DVI and HDCP(HDMI) connections would lose their digital aspect once it reached the monitor, but signal noise would be reduced up until it reaches the monitor, and HDCP support is all I really want.

Personally I'm waiting for true 1080p sets to arrive (1080p DISPLAY, not signal processing!) and that one tech that uses phosphors (like a CRT) but is much thinner. I forget what that was called.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...93141/sr=1-7/ref=sr_1_3_7/026-6464654-7066063

the S model-UK is more expensive than the V model that's available in my country!!

32" UK S model

* 32" S-series BRAVIA LCD
* Integrated Digital Tuner for Freeview reception
* HD Ready
* HDMI Input
* 1366 x 768 resolution
* Dolby Virtual and BBE Digital
* Electronic Programme Guide
* PAL 3D Comb filter
* PC Input
* Light Sensor
* Picture in Picture Freeze
* Top Up TV Compatible

32" Middle East V model

# 32" LCD TV
# 1 Mega Pixel HD Panel (1366 x 768 WXGA)
# WCG (Wide Colour Gamut) – CCFL
# Wega Engine Technology
# Viewing Angle 178º
# Brightness: 500cd/m²
# Contrast 1300:1
# Response Time 8ms
# Multi-System TV Tuner
# Picture-and-Picture (2-Tuner PAP)
# Picture-and-Picture (PAP) Picture Freeze
# WEGA Gate On-Screen Guide
# Light Sensor
# PC Input (HD15)
# USB (full speed) Interface
# HDMI Input
# Audio Output: 13W x 2
# BBE Digital
# S-Master Digital Amplifier
# SRS TruSurround XT
# 30º Swivel
# 3º Front/ 8º Back Tilt

Which one is better?

qirex

Stench said:
Aw, shit, seriously? What's the word?
Consider the source closely but there was a guy on avsforum that complained of smearing and trails. Of course since it's avsforum most of the people there will rag on anything that isn't a Panasonic plasma screen.

I'm going for the v-series because the scaling hardware is better and I still plan on watching a lot of SD and playing my PS2 for the forseeable future.

Thanks Conker, now I'm not sure if I will ever buy a TV lol... everytime I learn something new about TVs I feel that I'm even more lost

I'm really confused now.. i don't mind waiting AT ALL I'm buying a TV Q1-Q2 next year and might even be the end of next year.. so i'd rather wait than rush

Acosta

I have the 26" KDL-S26A11E (european model, S series) and it has HDMI and VGA.

I've heard that the S-series models aren't that hot for gaming though.

Looks awesome for me.

I have just this poor picture, but if you want I try something I could try.

sonykameo11xr.jpg

he v-series because the scaling hardware is better and I still plan on watching a lot of SD and playing my PS2 for the forseeable future.

For what I have read and seen, the S series includes the same image procesor than the V in the 26" model and above. But the V model I tested was horrible for PC. PS2 games looks very nice.

DaCocoBrova

I'd LOVE to see a widescreen CRT (none of this projection crap) that is HDCP (and DVI) capable. Unfortunately, it'll never happen.
Yes, I know, making the tube a 16:9 ratio would be difficult, especially when trying to keep it flat. And DVI and HDCP(HDMI) connections would lose their digital aspect once it reached the monitor, but signal noise would be reduced up until it reaches the monitor, and HDCP support is all I really want.

Why is that. I have a 16:9 CRT w/ HDMI. I thought for certain that I could get an adapter (which I did) and turn it into DVI. Upon reading the manual, it says not to do this or it may fuck the TV up. What's the limitation there?

My guess is that 720p can't happen w/ CRTs because of 'gun' movement and whatnot. 480p PC input is too large, and 1080i is too small (regarding text and such). 720 would be just right for PC input, but beyond the capabilities of CRTs.

My guess is that 720p can't happen w/ CRTs because of 'gun' movement and whatnot.

Huh? My ten-year-old viewsonic syncs to 1280x720 60p just fine. Not to mention Princeton Graphics pro high-def monitors that do, and the old Panasonic RPTVs with 7" guns that could do native 720p. There's nothing about CRT that won't work with 720p. Hell, my CRT can do 1800x1440 60p!

The only reason these 30" and 34" widescreen CRT HDTVs and whatnot don't do 720p is just pure cheapness on behalf of Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, etc.

DaCocoBrova

Really? I find that hard to believe.

I was informed that the gun can't move fast enough to update a 720p signal at the proper rate.

conker

Banned
That t70p CRT thing was a pure lie.

Companies limit the scanning modes (resolution modes) on CRT models because:

They are cheap assholes
They think the average consumer is too retarded to figure out how they fucked up their settings. (They're right on this one)
They can charge more for a better model that has this basic feature

When I was referring to widescreen CRTs I'd like to see with DVI and HDCP(HDMI), I was referring to computer monitors.

Most CRT TVs are shit compared to (good) CRT monitors.

CRT TVs typically have lower resolution displays.
That HDTV you see at the store is NOT 1920 by 1080p. Not even 1080i. It handles those signals, but only to the extent that it resizes them and displays somethhing like 1366 by 768 pixels.

Plasma, LCD, DLP, all that shit is the same. The display resolution is FAR LESS than 1920 by 1080p.

If you can wait, do it.

People always give the argument that you'll end up waiting forever, but that's not really the case now.

Wait for true 1080p sets. Even if you don't care too much/won't notice the difference in resolution and scaling fuck ups, the 1080p units will drive the prices of other units down.

Wait for true HDMI. By that I mean, HDMI with HDCP. Not all HDMI shit is HDCP compliant, kiddies. It's a big FUCK YOU from those corporate assholes.

Wait for content. HD-DVD? Blu-Ray? When? HD television programming is on the rise, but I don't think it's worth future-fucking yourself (non HDCP, non 1080p).
The biggest push I see for OMG BUY HD NOW is the 360. I don't think the 360's current lineup is worth buying into HD now. And you can always replay your older games in HD if you must.

I recommend a big fat WAIT. The only problem is that nobody knows when the good shit (1080p DISPLAY, HDCP capable) will actually arrive in stores, in quantity. The content is arriving now. The 360, and next year the PS3, will open the doors for HD content.

I say, if you get a PS3 at launch, and 1080p HDCP(HDMI) capable sets are still "on the horizon" or "OMG two models in Japan but no one has them yet I can't wait", just buy a good HDTV and fuck it.

If you have cash to burn NOW, you'd probably be better off investing it in the surround sound area.

qirex

conker said:
Wait for true HDMI. By that I mean, HDMI with HDCP. Not all HDMI shit is HDCP compliant, kiddies. It's a big FUCK YOU from those corporate assholes.
HDMI supports HDCP by default. DVI doesn't always.

My biggest concern about HDTV is that it's too confusing for even people who consider themselves technology enthusiasts to get the facts straight. The simpe fact is that most people just want a big flatscreen, they don't care about resolution, copy protection, upscaling or anything like that.

Acosta

My biggest concern about HDTV is that it's too confusing for even people who consider themselves technology enthusiasts to get the facts straight. The simpe fact is that most people just want a big flatscreen, they don't care about resolution, copy protection, upscaling or anything like that.

True, reading about this I have found an incredible messy information. At the end I have to truth my eyes... looks nice enough with PC and consoles and supports HD? yes, well, that is enough for me.

I suppose that what Conker say is truth as he seems very secure. But as far as my LCD give me an image like the one it is giving with Kameo for all next-gen stuff, personally I have more than enough (but it´s not bad if you want to be completely sure of what are you buying and what is the best choice, I understand that).

Not all HDMI shit is HDCP compliant, kiddies. It's a big FUCK YOU from those corporate assholes.

Being a LCD from Sony, I suppose mine it is, I´m right? (I would like to use the HDMI connection for PS3 if possible, so I can keep the 360 connected through component).

DaCocoBrova

It can't be that cut & dry. As things are, HD CRT sales pale in comparison to that of fixed pixel displays. This has been the case for a minute. They're heavier, cost more to ship... There's no way that this is all due to several manufacturer's 'lazyness'. I mean, there are none on the market.

I'm not buying that.

qirex

conker said:
Sadly, no.
I have yet to see a HDMI-in that doesn't support HDCP and I've been TV shopping for a year. I've seen plenty of DVI ports that don't on cheapo Chinese brands but they usually skip HDMI because of the license fees anyway.

Top Bottom