• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed Most Wanted by Criterion [use new thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, if they officially release screens here's how the cover looks. You can add it on page 1 for everyone to see.

75e013ef87615a271a7d0047de307.jpg

Literally the nicest use of whitespace ever on a video game box art.

... or the most elaborate troll on the Criterion name.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Well, if they officially release screens here's how the cover looks. You can add it on page 1 for everyone to see.
75e013ef87615a271a7d0047de307.jpg

Very clean.... surprisingly clean actually.
For a game called Most Wanted I was expecting it to be a little more grunge(if thats the word im looking for)

ultron87

You know, I honestly thought this thread was about the last game they made. Apparently the names Most Wanted and Hot Pursuit are totally interchangeable in my mind.

I like that logo a lot.

-BLITZ-

What I'm afraid of is that I didn't manage to get any info so far all this week about if the game is actually the next Hot Pursuit with no car customization.

You know, Most Wanted can refer to only SPEED/Hot Pursuit/The Run, nothing fancy.

If E3 gives only the trailer and no in-game moments with the new content, oh well - I hope at least for the factsheet to tell something.

Himself

For someone who knows shit about this franchise, what is the difference between Hot Pursuit and Most Wanted? Why should we be excited for this (other than the fact that Criterion is making it)?

-BLITZ-

Very clean.... surprisingly clean actually.
For a game called Most Wanted I was expecting it to be a little more grunge(if thats the word im looking for)

Like I said, I tried a lot to get some infos about the new NFS because the cover makes me understand that the new Most Wanted is not connected whatsoever with the old one. I'm kind of worried right now.

Pooya

For someone who knows shit about this franchise, what is the difference between Hot Pursuit and Most Wanted? Why should we be excited for this (other than the fact that Criterion is making it)?

original Most Wanted was open world city racing, original Hot Pursuit was road/country-side track based without any story. both had cops.

Criterion's HP has an open world map, but it was still road/country-side themed and you just picked events from the map and raced in them, not really open world like Burnout Paradise was. Original Most Wanted was laid out more closely to Burnout Paradise, so maybe this one is like that.

Himself

original Most Wanted was open world city racing, original Hot Pursuit was road/country-side track based without any story. both had cops.

Criterion's HP has an open world map, but it was still road/country-side themed and you just picked events from the map and raced in them, not really open world like Burnout Paradise was. Original Most Wanted was laid out more closely to Burnout Paradise, so maybe this one is like that.

Interesting. I've been meaning to get around to Hot Pursuit for a long time now. Enjoyed Burnout Paradise. I'm more of a Criterion fan than a Need for Speed fan.

Also, add me to those who love that cover. Hot damn.

Most Wanted was in cities, Hot Pursuit was mostly in the kind of beautiful locations that you see in car magazine spreads.

Most Wanted let you upgrade your cars.

Hot Pursuit let you play as both cops and racers, and gave you weapons/abilities to use as each. Most Wanted was only racers, and you could only bash people (or certain spots in the environment).

Both games go INSANELY repetitive towards the end of the game.

Multiplayer in Hot Pursuit was worlds better.

Hot Pursuit invented Autolog, which every racing game (and some non-racing games) have borrowed liberally since.

Mileena

Banned
I love me some Most Wanted, but you're crazy if you think it's a better racing game than Burnout Paradise.

Perhaps you're looking for a 'Garage Game' with some racing on the side?
Nope. Even HP felt better than Paradise handling-wise. Plus its not open world and has licensed cars.

Nope. Even HP felt better than Paradise handling-wise. Plus its not open world and has licensed cars.

Meh, I guess when you get into arcade racers it's a matter of taste, since they're never going to straight up sim realism, and bend the rules however much they feel for the best experience.

Personally, I much preferred the handling in Burnout Paradise. The handling in HP threw me off at first, but I got used to it quick enough.

Licensed cars are irrelevant to me.

saladine1

Hopefully, they have completely overhauled the unresponsive handling from Hot Pursuit..probably the most ill suited physics for a NFS game ever..

Because certain things are expected of NFS? Criterion needs to realize that this isn't Burnout.

NFS is a broad umbrella with a ton of different formulas.

A person that expects the things in Shift will be disappointed with other games.

A person that expects the things in Underground will have been disappointed with Most Wanted and every other game that followed.

Car customization is an element that hasn't interested this developer in the past. Maybe they'll toss it in, maybe they won't. If it's not part of their vision for the game, so be it. I trust Criterion to make a great racing game.

skynidas

Banned
NFS is a broad umbrella with a ton of different formulas.

A person that expects the things in Shift will be disappointed with other games.

A person that expects the things in Underground will have been disappointed with Most Wanted and every other game that followed.

Car customization is an element that hasn't interested this developer in the past. Maybe they'll toss it in, maybe they won't. If it's not part of their vision for the game, so be it. I trust Criterion to make a great racing game.

I'm not saying that this won't be a great racing game, I'm sure that it will be very good and I'll buy it day one, but I miss good customization in a racing game and Most Wanted would be perfect for it.

saladine1

That's fine. But the developer in this case, may not be interested in that particular component. We shall see.

Then why call it Most Wanted at all?
Why not go with a completely different name?
If you're going to call it Most Wanted and not offer customization or a Black List of some kind , then be prepared for the backlash because that's what people are expecting...

-BLITZ-

If you're going to call it Most Wanted and not offer customization or a Black List of some kind , then be prepared for the backlash because that's what people are expecting...

Have you seen NFS series evolving over the years because I don't. They don't put effort anymore or they just run out of people with great ideas and talent. NFS had become just a product to be sold.

That's true, and hopefully EA is aware of that so they either a) provide it or b) have a PR message ready to explain why it's not there, or what's being focused on instead.

You have to remember, Autolog is in this game. Imagine if they use that and online integration to create something like an online Blacklist. Weekly challenges for players to defeat certain other players in challenges like speed runs, police chases, etc, in order to unlock special cars, or special vinyls or something.

Or maybe your friendlist IS your blacklist, and the game updates you everytime somebody has moved ahead of you on it, since the leaderboard integration is so good.

I don't like the way Criterion games handle and the whole cops/robbers thing is so boring.

I was just messing.

Different strokes.

Personally I find battling back and forth with cops while trying to win a race is more fun and thrilling than simply lapping a track several times.

saladine1

I was just messing.

Different strokes.

Personally I find battling back and forth with cops while trying to win a race is more fun and thrilling than simply lapping a track several times.

I didn't like HP handling either but you are right, battling out with the cops is so much fun.
The original Most Wanted had the best cop battles ever imo. Hopefully that's recreated for this game...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom