• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed Shift preview and screens

One of the biggest reasons that I'm sold on this year's game is that it doesn't focus on some crazy storyline or the latest in open world technology, but rather the pure driving experience. Rather than handling Shift internally, EA reached out to Slightly Mad Studios, the guys behind the GTR series on the PC (a critically acclaimed franchise to be sure). The results look to have paid off nicely.

While EA wasn't letting a lot of details about customization, online play or even how the career modes works get out, it did let me get my hands on six different cars across two tracks. Said cars included a Lotus Elise 111R, Shelby Terelingua, Audi RS4, Corvette Z06, Porsche 911 GT2 and a Pagani Zonda F, while the two tracks were Brands Hatch and a course simply titled London.

As I mentioned, the game is about the driving experience. While you can of course play in a handful of third-person views or from the bumper-cam, the game is designed with the cockpit view in mind (which I'm personally always a big fan of). When you're sitting at the starting line and waiting for the lights to drop, your car will jolt from side to side as you pump the gas. Your engine lets out a fierce bark every time you touch the pedal, and you can see your driver's fingers adjust their grip on the steering wheel.

Coming into contact with something solid takes this to the next level, however. The camera practically bounces off the steering wheel, the whole screen becomes blurred for a second or so and, if the crash is bad enough, it looks like you're even blinded with a flash of light for a split-second. It's dizzying and disorienting, but wholly awesome.

NFS Shift looks great right now, though I was playing the PC build (with an Xbox 360 controller) as opposed to the PS3 or 360 versions. Regardless, it looked great and ran silky-smooth, which is especially notable since the build I played was a few months old, putting it close to a year out from what the actual shipping code will be. As I mentioned, I can't wait to play the finished release later this year, but I'm sure I'll get a few more spins behind the wheel before then, so stay tuned. This is, thankfully, one the racers to watch this year.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/959/959079p1.html

need-for-speed-shift-20090303031207592.jpg

need-for-speed-shift-20090303031211764.jpg

need-for-speed-shift-20090303031215092.jpg

need-for-speed-shift-20090303031219545.jpg

need-for-speed-shift-20090303031222748.jpg

need-for-speed-shift-20090303031227608.jpg

need-for-speed-shift-20090303031230561.jpg

GCX

Maybe it's just me but every year they say the same thing "this time it's all about pure racing, back to basics, etc, etc.." and in the end the game always ends up sucking and has some new stupid gimmick.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
DaCocoBrova said:
But not as good I bet.

GCX said:
Maybe it's just me but every year they say the same thing "this time it's all about pure racing, back to basics, etc, etc.." and in the end the game always ends up sucking and has some new stupid gimmick.

But this one is made by Blimey. Would you say the next Need For Speed would suck if it was made by Polyphony Digital? Blimey is basically their PC equivalent.

lynux3

Now this is what I've been looking forward to for a "next-gen" Need for Speed. Sorry Blackbox, but you just weren't cutting it.

Dibbz

DaCocoBrova said:
But not as good I bet.
Since the guys behind GTR are handling this NFS I'm assuming cars will actually handle like cars, not like jelly on wheels Grid.

I hate that this is circuit racing (as far as I can tell from the screens), Need for Speed should be point to point races across varied scenery (forests, coastal, desert) etc. There are too few games with the point-to-point races.

bumpkin

Milhouse31 said:
So it's GRID
Does GRID do this:

The camera practically bounces off the steering wheel, the whole screen becomes blurred for a second or so and, if the crash is bad enough, it looks like you're even blinded with a flash of light for a split-second.

Or this:

Your engine lets out a fierce bark every time you touch the pedal, and you can see your driver's fingers adjust their grip on the steering wheel.

I'm not hating, just asking. I haven't played GRID.

DaFish

All I want is a racing game that looks like this and has actual racing/car physics... Is that too much to ask for?

oh and maybe decent online features.

Xater

DaCocoBrova said:
But not as good I bet.

It will probably be alot better considering the devoloper behind this is the one who created GTR. The cars may actually handle like cars.

Excited for this.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
I never understood why GRiD got so much hate when it comes to the handling. I've played a ton of it on the PC and never had any issues with it. Admittedly, the PC version is far more configurable than the console version.

Ranger X

That GRID comment is a clear insult.

Really show that not only you don't know what you're talking about in matter dev teams potentiel, you also don't know what you're talking about in matter of racing.

Please go continue to play GRID.

So, I would say: "looks great!!!", but I would like to be very cautious this time.

This looks obviously quite good, not as good as the smaller screens though, due to the oversaturated colors and the jaggies, but I just feel it's going to suck again :p

Goldrusher

GitarooMan said:
I hate that this is circuit racing (as far as I can tell from the screens), Need for Speed should be point to point races across varied scenery (forests, coastal, desert) etc. There are too few games with the point-to-point races.

Exactly. It looks great, but it doesn't look like Need For Speed.

I too want long tracks in the countryside, along the coast, high mountain roads, a track through Tuscany, the Swiss Alps, tracks in Scotland, Spain, Australia, China, etc.
Not another bunch of city tracks and circuits. That's not Need For Speed.

It will likely, hopefully be a great game, but it's not a true NFS.

Dead Man

Ranger X said:
That GRID comment is a clear insult.

Really show that not only you don't know what you're talking about in matter dev teams potentiel, you also don't know what you're talking about in matter of racing.

Please go continue to play GRID.

Yeah, but Codemasters had a pretty good run up until Grid, so a developer history is not always a great indicator of what they will do when tasked with making guaranteed returns for a publisher.

I hope it will be great, I'm just not sold on the basis of what I have seen.

Goldrusher said:
It looks great, but it doesn't look like Need For Speed.

I want long tracks in the countryside, along the coast, mountain roads, through Tuscany, the Swiss Alps, tracks in Scotland, in Australia, etc.

But it looks great and will likely be a great game, but not a true NFS.
And this cannot be said enough. Get NFS back to it's roots for just one game and it would be awesome. Then you can go back to circuit racing with race cars, or tuner drifting, or whatever the hell you want.

Fuzyfrog

GitarooMan said:

This x 1000000000

I would buy NFS1 HD in a heartbeat.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
looks on par, or slightly better than, pgr4, which is awesome. hopefully its 60fps rather then 30, but based on the blur and graphical fidelity i'm guessing its 30fps.

Coming into contact with something solid takes this to the next level, however. The camera practically bounces off the steering wheel, the whole screen becomes blurred for a second or so and, if the crash is bad enough, it looks like you're even blinded with a flash of light for a split-second. It's dizzying and disorienting, but wholly awesome.

sounds REALLY cool. aside from car performance and visual damage, this could be a good way to shake up drivers a bit to communicate accidents, but it could also dissuade some from pin-balling around corners and off of other cars. nice touch, cant wait to see it in action.

this game has the potential to be INCREDIBLE. cant wait to see some footage and to get some hands on :D

MrTroubleMaker

Gold Member
it does look good

Goldrusher said:
Exactly. It looks great, but it doesn't look like Need For Speed.

I too want long tracks in the countryside, along the coast, high mountain roads, a track through Tuscany, the Swiss Alps, tracks in Scotland, Spain, Australia, China, etc.

It will likely, hopefully be a great game, but it's not a true NFS.
I want this too

M3d10n

Dithering is back, bitches!
need-for-speed-shift-20090303031222748.jpg

(I know, they're using jittered sampling on the motion blur to avoid banding - clever, but need to see how it looks in motion)

Nolan.

Well there is the obvious pun there if it turns out rubbish. I think i've given up with the Nfs series for now. I was really hoping for more than just good things from the last.

Mohonky

If the game looks anything like those screens; best looking next gen racer.

I only wish Bizarre were working on another PGR :(

Guled

so when people said that having one NFS game a year was ridiculous, why did they decide to put out 3 a year. This franchise has really been run into the ground

boyshine

Always-honest said:
looks really unique and unlike anything i've ever seen.
except for maybe, just maybe.... GRID
Mhm. Looks like a mix between Grid and PGR.

But Need For Speed Nitro is the game I'm really curious about. Hopefully they'll pull back the curtain on that one soon.

boyshine said:
Mhm. Looks like a mix between Grid and PGR.

But Need For Speed Nitro is the game I'm really curious about. Hopefully they'll pull back the curtain on that one soon.

indeed. dunno.. they dissapointed last times..

info from a german gaming mag:

- over 70 cars
- car tuning, bodykits
- very immersive sfx
- very detailed cockpits, driver is fully animated, legs, feet work the pedals
- 16 cars on tracks
- very good ai
- motion blur kicks in at around 125mph
- career mode

rudii

if the cars feel and control anything like gtr, gtr2 or gt legends then this game will be unbelievable

Ranger X

idahoblue said:
Yeah, but Codemasters had a pretty good run up until Grid, so a developer history is not always a great indicator of what they will do when tasked with making guaranteed returns for a publisher.

I hope it will be great, I'm just not sold on the basis of what I have seen.

And this cannot be said enough. Get NFS back to it's roots for just one game and it would be awesome. Then you can go back to circuit racing with race cars, or tuner drifting, or whatever the hell you want.

I'm not sure what you mean. My fav console sim racer is TOCA3 and I think Codemaster at least HAD great potential. Dirt and GRID really are like their worse game.

Anyways, my comment was that you don't compare GTR/GTR2 to GRID. Seriously. GRID can only dream of reaching the level of simulation GTR and GTR2 already achieved YEARS earlier.

Now this new NFS is made by the same guys that made GTR and GTR2, this game cannot be as bad a GRID, seriously. Or else I will never have witnessed such drop in quality from any dev ever in the history of gaming so far.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Is Blimey!/SMS still working on Ferrari Project?

If so, EA needs to pick it up, rework it a bit, and release it as Need for Speed: Ferrari Unleashed. :D

Saiyu

I'm excited but:

IGN said:
Across all the vehicles the handling's a neat mesh of arcade and simulation; Brands Hatch was one of the two courses on display and it's opening corner, Paddock Hill bend, is a viciously dipping right hander that can be taken flat chat in each of the cars we drove, a method that would result in an intimate encounter with the tyre wall if attempted in a game such as Race Pro. Nevertheless, there's a satisfying weight to each of the cars and the handling model still proves demanding when placed in relief with Need for Speed's typical approach

swaffsimg7516.jpg

Really? I mean it's not like I'm expecting iracing on a console but a Zonda F flat through Paddock Hill....I just hope there's some depth to the game.

twinturbo2 said:
Is Blimey!/SMS still working on Ferrari Project?

"Using an engine that's a slight variation on the one that powered the studio's mysterious Ferrari project (and unfortunately Slightly Mad Studios weren't forthcoming on how Shift affects that particular title)"

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Saiyu said:
"Using an engine that's a slight variation on the one that powered the studio's mysterious Ferrari project (and unfortunately Slightly Mad Studios weren't forthcoming on how Shift affects that particular title)"
I'm rooting for EA to pick it up and make NFS Ferrari Unleashed out of it. :D

Top Bottom