• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed Shift preview and screens

Ranger X

Easy_D said:
Remember when NFS was all about racing in sexy cars on the country-side?

Hell yeah. True NFS game and not some Underground generation bullshit. The first game was also more toward simulation than arcade in general, hence why i'm excited at Shift right now.

Goldrusher

mr stroke said:
NFS is back(i hope)
No it isn't. This looked like a better GRID, but after seeing the footage, Shift looks like shit.
It actually looks worse than GRID ffs. How could Blimey screw this up so badly ??

(edit: I'm talking about the physics of the cars. Not the graphics, the graphics are fine, impressive actually. But this is a racing game, a car game. It needs cars that handle like cars.)

Easy_D said:
Remember when NFS was all about racing in sexy cars on the country-side?
Test Drive Unlimited 2. Believe.

KillJade

Banned
Geez man! Need for Speed and track based racing should not mix! Give me a next-gen Hot Pursuit 2 damnit! THis series has gone to the shits. Most Wanted was the last good one. For shame.

Goldrusher said:
No it isn't. This looked like a better GRID, but after seeing the footage, Shift looks like shit.
It actually looks worse than GRID ffs. How could Blimey screw this up so badly ??

(edit: I'm talking about the physics of the cars. Not the graphics, the graphics are fine, impressive actually. But this is a racing game, a car game. It needs cars that handle like cars.)

I don't really see what's wrong. And I'm not even taking into account that al assists are probably on.

Goldrusher

PjotrStroganov said:
I don't really see what's wrong.
:lol

Everything.

Assists don't (shouldn't ?) turn the behavior of a GT race car into that of a dune buggy. That car was all over the place and it definitely wasn't the fault of the guy driving nor was it the horrible camera playing tricks with my eyes.

Goldrusher said:
:lol

Everything.

Assists don't (shouldn't ?) turn the behavior of a GT race car into that of a dune buggy. That car was all over the place and it definitely wasn't the fault of the guy driving nor was it the horrible camera playing tricks with my eyes.

What are you talking about? The guy obviously applied too much throttle when exiting a corner and frequently braked in the corner instead of before. Maybe the intricacies of the physics were a bit hard to master in a short amount of time but the car seems to react like the way it should.

Goldrusher

PjotrStroganov said:
the car seems to react like the way it should.
No.

Too much throttle doesn't put a car in some strange bubble where moon physics apply. As I said before, I'll give the demo a try, but I'm not expecting much. I did when the game was announced though, it sounded and looked to be a next-gen Race Driver, something good to keep us busy until GT5 hits the shelves. But what I'm seeing now is an even worse version of GRID, with hollow, weightless cars and over-the-top camera and blur effects.

Blame!

love the steering wheel view but jeez the physics look like shit. the same super grippy arcacde cars from GRID that nose dive into a corner with understeer.

why do you guys keep talking about grid in this thread? this is not the same engine or the same developers.

VVV Mars VG

Just looking at those 2 videos, the Zonda was on the PS3 version with full assists on and the Porsche on the Tokyo track running on the XB360 was using a medium assists selection. As a big racing fan myself I can safely say the handling is nothing like GRID, cars do convey weight, it was great feeling the car under braking and given that this is pre-alpha code it's certainly solid at this stage, especially considering the handling model isn't finished. Right now I'd place this somewhere between Race Pro and Forza, it has its own unique style but certainly very enjoyable with a predictable and logical nature to the cars, and no you don't have to crash on every corner ;) .

Goldrusher said:
No.

Too much throttle doesn't put a car in some strange bubble where moon physics apply. As I said before, I'll give the demo a try, but I'm not expecting much. I did when the game was announced though, it sounded and looked to be a next-gen Race Driver, something good to keep us busy until GT5 hits the shelves. But what I'm seeing now is an even worse version of GRID, with hollow, weightless cars and over-the-top camera and blur effects.

You are not being very specific. Do you mean understeer. Or sliding in general? Seems that most sims I raced have the same mechanic.

edit:Funny how Blame!'s comment and yours seem to be completely opposite of each other. Too much grip vs moon physics?

Goldrusher

I agree with Blame on the grip subject, but there's nothing wrong with a good amount of grip for an entry level difficulty setting.

What I'm talking about is the weight of the cars. That Zonda jumped up and down like a lowrider. A real race car does not behave like that, not even when you start yanking the steering wheel to get heat into the tires.

lowrider.jpg

skyfinch

Anyone know the framerate? I'm guessing it'll be on par with the console versions of Grid. 60 would be very nice though.

Ranger X

Goldrusher said:
I agree with Blame on the grip subject, but there's nothing wrong with a good amount of grip for an entry level difficulty setting.

What I'm talking about is the weight of the cars. That Zonda jumped up and down like a lowrider. A real race car does not behave like that, not even when you start yanking the steering wheel to get heat into the tires.

http://msp171. [/quote]

Can you tell me wich part of the Zonda vid that is bothering you? I just watched it again and I don't see it. Gimme the time where you see those wierd behaviors.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Ranger X said:
Can you tell me wich part of the Zonda vid that is bothering you? I just watched it again and I don't see it. Gimme the time where you see those wierd behaviors.

I just watched it again also and I can see what he means now. Basically (lap 2 shows this better) the car just had a tendency to want to drift/understeer through corners, but unlike GRID which lets you do that through entire corners, the car snaps back rather a lot, and I'm not sure that's a good alternative.

In fact, that may just be due to a bad driver, but compared to say Race 07 where that sort of driving would land you in a spin or a wall, Shift is a lot more forgiving it seems. I have to hold my judgement until I actually play this though, because without actually experiencing the driving model, it's just guesswork to whether I'll like it or not.

Goldrusher

Ranger X said:

02:01-02:51 for example.

The car is on that track like a damn jetski.

Ranger X

Goldrusher said:
02:01-02:51 for example.

The car is on that track like a damn jetski.

I think I can see what you mean. I can get the feel you're supposed to lose alot more traction than that while getting off track but this nothing negative enough to distract me from all the positive parts of the video.

Look at the 2 first right curves, second lap and how he naturally drift the first one and totally understeer the second. This feels great and natural. It indicates some nice weight transferts. Also look at how he makes the car spin out in the first lap (the section you got me to watch again) and how the physics lets you properly "police car hit" your opponent. This demonstrate a nice collision model. It's also really hard to judge a game in chase view in my humble opinion. Most of the time, even realistic games looks wonky in chase (that's why i'm adamant at cockpit views amongst other reasons).

There's also the question of the assists. Let me bet the guy was racing with all the assists on. I mean, when they show a game to journalist, they normally set it so it will make a good impression and when you market a game like this one, you want the guy to be able to drive and you want to show him that your sim racer is accessible. It's extremely hard again to judge the game considering there might be assists on.

I also invite you to watch at this GRID video that demonstrate how it looks ALOT less natural than what we see of Shift here. The BMW there seems to be attached on the floor and you're some sort of sponge flailing around. It's completely ridiculous and you totally can see how Shift looks far ahead in matter of driving model (at least according to video impressions).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy84Lalhq4A

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
GCX said:
Maybe it's just me but every year they say the same thing "this time it's all about pure racing, back to basics, etc, etc.." and in the end the game always ends up sucking and has some new stupid gimmick.
Wow! I thought we were in a Sonic announcement thread...

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
VVV Mars VG said:
Just looking at those 2 videos, the Zonda was on the PS3 version with full assists on and the Porsche on the Tokyo track running on the XB360 was using a medium assists selection. As a big racing fan myself I can safely say the handling is nothing like GRID, cars do convey weight, it was great feeling the car under braking and given that this is pre-alpha code it's certainly solid at this stage, especially considering the handling model isn't finished. Right now I'd place this somewhere between Race Pro and Forza, it has its own unique style but certainly very enjoyable with a predictable and logical nature to the cars, and no you don't have to crash on every corner ;) .

thanks for the impressions

and thank you solidsnakex for the mirrors. between this, dirt 2, blur, forza 3, and hopefully gt5, this year should be amazing for race fans

Top Bottom