• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed Shift preview and screens

Pachael

As much as I'm excited about the game, the comment by IGN two posts above worry me a bit - this looks to be a lot more like GRID with the arcade sim mixes, hopefully they get it right. NFS itself is an arcade franchise.

Wax Free Vanilla said:
wow, they've really gone to town with photoshop's blur filters :lol
I just read this (http://www.videogamer.com/news/05-03-2009-10819.html) :

When asked if she thought SHIFT was the best-looking racing game ever made, Suzi Wallace, the game's producer, told VideoGamer.com: "Of course. The engine for us, you know we've come a long way with it and there's been lots of improvements, but we think it's way above our previous titles. I think it's the best-looking racer out there. If you look at our cockpits especially, there are other games with cockpits out there but I do think we've got the most stunning-looking cockpits."

She added that the developer was delighted by the scepticism surrounding the first first screen shot released by publisher EA, insisting it was, like all screen shots of the game, in-game.

She said: "We were quite chuffed when people were going 'that's blatantly a render, that's definitely a render, there's no way it's in game'. It was like, well we know it is. None of our screen shots are edited in any way. If people out there think it's a render and we know it's in game, my boss was quite happy with that. That went down quite well!"

R0nn

For all those ppl wanting an old skool countryside NFS, isn't that was the Wii game is going to be?

Insane Metal

Gold Member
Can't wait to play this. Looks pretty good and it's not "tuning street racing" bullshit. That's a big step in the right direction.

Dead Man

Ranger X said:
I'm not sure what you mean. My fav console sim racer is TOCA3 and I think Codemaster at least HAD great potential. Dirt and GRID really are like their worse game.

Anyways, my comment was that you don't compare GTR/GTR2 to GRID. Seriously. GRID can only dream of reaching the level of simulation GTR and GTR2 already achieved YEARS earlier.

Now this new NFS is made by the same guys that made GTR and GTR2, this game cannot be as bad a GRID, seriously. Or else I will never have witnessed such drop in quality from any dev ever in the history of gaming so far.

I agree GTR et al are a different beast entirley from Grid. What I meant was that when Grid first appeared, the line from a lot of people, myself included, was not to worry, Codemasters are great at pseudo sims.

So I don't think it will be as bad as Grid, but I can understand some people's concerns, regardless of the dev's pedigree. Sometimes when major publishers are looking for sales, bad things happen, even to good devs.

I'm just glad they are going back to what seems to be proper racing then open street or chav riced up car racing, even if the game ends up like Dirt I will be glad on the direction they chose.

Wax Free Vanilla said:
EA BS.

You can see where they've forgot to blur the wheels in some of shots and through the car windows in others.

They're ingame screens with blur badly applied in photoshop.
Not to be defensive or anything but in one of the pgr games blue never worked through glass or transparent materials due to how their filter worked. I just remember the blur not working when in on external camera and being able to see through two sheets of the car windows in one go.

I still think that from all the previous Need for Speed games after Most Wanted... the letter f is totally unnecessary in the Title Need for Speed: Shift

Dead Man

Diablohead said:
I'm just glad they are going back to what seems to be proper racing then open street or chav riced up car racing, even if the game ends up like Dirt I will be glad on the direction they chose.

Not to be defensive or anything but in one of the pgr games blue never worked through glass or transparent materials due to how their filter worked. I just remember the blur not working when in on external camera and being able to see through two sheets of the car windows in one go.
What do you mean BACK? Going back would be to street racing, with exotic cars, on highways, maybe with police. NFS was never about circuit racing.

idahoblue said:
What do you mean BACK? Going back would be to street racing, with exotic cars, on highways, maybe with police. NFS was never about circuit racing.
Yeah you are right, underground has clouded my mind.

Dead Man

Diablohead said:
Yeah you are right, underground has clouded my mind.
Yeah, it'll do that. :lol Once Underground came out, the series really seems to have lost it's way. MW was pretty damn good, and the police chases in that were awesome, but since then it has been pretty shit all round.

beje

Banned
I just felt the need for reposting this

6zlteu.jpg

dankir

Always-honest said:
looks really unique and unlike anything i've ever seen.
except for maybe, just maybe.... GRID

Really I found those in dash shots look exactly like PGR 3 / 4. It needs to be brighter like GT5 cockpit views.

Bodom78

Screens look great and the comments about the game sound promising so far. I loved GRID and wither this is similar or not, I'll be keeping an eye out for it.

Ranger X

idahoblue said:
I agree GTR et al are a different beast entirley from Grid. What I meant was that when Grid first appeared, the line from a lot of people, myself included, was not to worry, Codemasters are great at pseudo sims.

So I don't think it will be as bad as Grid, but I can understand some people's concerns, regardless of the dev's pedigree. Sometimes when major publishers are looking for sales, bad things happen, even to good devs.

I think it's a valid concern. I also think it's the first NFS since AGES where we have true reasons to be excited. Let's be positive.
Also, Codemasters showed signs of "becoming crappy" when people from their racing team did quit + there was DIRT before GRID that was also a turd of a game.

So far, Blimey is spotless. I guess it's possible they end up like Simbin with RacePro, a good but unpolished game. EA gives me confidence here though, I mean, if they need money they supposed to be able to have it, unlike Simbin with Atari...

Dead Man

Ranger X said:
I think it's a valid concern. I also think it's the first NFS since AGES where we have true reasons to be excited. Let's be positive.
Also, Codemasters showed signs of "becoming crappy" when people from their racing team did quit + there was DIRT before GRID that was also a turd of a game.

So far, Blimey is spotless. I guess it's possible they end up like Simbin with RacePro, a good but unpolished game. EA gives me confidence here though, I mean, if they need money they supposed to be able to have it, unlike Simbin with Atari...

Deal, I'll be more positive about this game until further information is revealed. :D And yeah, Blimey is a bit different to Codemasters.

I still hope the next iteration after this returns to its roots.

Diablohead said:

yeah, but in the 5th shot in the first post one part of the mesh fence is blurred and the other part isnt.

ea bs.

Mohonky

Just watched an interview for this on Gametrailers, I think it sounds rather interesting.

I like the idea of how your reactive the camera is to the drivers head during racing, with changes under conditions like heavy braking. Or that the dials in the cars all work.

The screens are brilliant, if it even remotely looks like that that would be a pretty big feat. I'm hoping this one really turns out.

Lord Phol

They still make these games :eek:, and people still buy them?
Seems to be a good lot of racing games this gen, and I can't say I've seen many positive reactions about this particular series.
The first Hot Pursuit was pretty groovy though.

Jackson

need-for-speed-shift-20090303031211764.jpg

Is... Is there an IGN Button under the Water Switch next to the driver's right hand? :lol :lol

What... What does it do?!

amar212

Jackson said:
Is... Is there an IGN Button under the Water Switch next to the driver's right hand? :lol :lol

IGN - ignition. Stadard switch in racing cars that starts the engine, because there is no ignition key. Have to be activated in conjuction with the clutch respectfully, but clutch is used only during actual 1st gear start, while actual shifting during the race is done by sequential shifter that does not require usage of the clutch.

bbyybb

CGI bullshit is the death knell of cinema
I am actually looking forward to this game since it is made by Slightly Mad Studios. Who contain a bunch of ex SimBin people.

So this could be good. It is the first need for speed game in a long time that i am looking forward to.

See

Jackson said:

Ignition?

Anyway, I can remember back in the day when the original Need For Speed... actually it was called "Road & Track presents: The Need For Speed" was the best thing since driving a real car. It had a little bit of everything. The most realistic car game back in the day, cops, cockpit view (I have to say I prefer bumper cam over cockpit view any day) , kick ass graphics, awesome videos of cars and the rivalry between Lamborghini and Ferrari. Good times.

Then three arcade games were release, but they were all good fun, an online game that wasn't successful, then a really good sim; Porche Unleashed. Then two arcades that were good, then one bad, then good, then bad again, then a bad wanna be sim, then the most horrible thing since... I donno ... and now a sim, a arcade and a online game. Cant wait!

I've got confidence in these guys, I'm glad they are changing the scenery.

Jackson

amar212 said:
IGN - ignition. Stadard switch in racing cars that starts the engine, because there is no ignition key. Have to be activated in conjuction with the clutch respectfully, but clutch is used only during actual 1st gear start, while actual shifting during the race is done by sequential shifter that does not require usage of the clutch.

Ya know what? I should have known that, I knew about the starter switch/button on race cars. But its late and the screens being from IGN threw me off, so I totally forgot about that being the reason.

Still a funny coincidence. :lol

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
EDIT - Amazing game /\, had soooo much fun with that, I would gave anything to play that again in next gen GFX's.

GitarooMan said:
I hate that this is circuit racing (as far as I can tell from the screens), Need for Speed should be point to point races across varied scenery (forests, coastal, desert) etc. There are too few games with the point-to-point races.

Totally agree with this.

VVV Mars VG

Obviously these look like bullshots at the moment but with experienced developers this is looking like the best NFS game I've seen in years. NFS was all about real handling, getting that driving experience you couldn't afford of dream of in real life. The underground/illegal/fast'n furious has been done to death.

Need for Speed as it was is dead, long live Need for Speed! Lets see if this really lives up to the promise, I certainly hope so.

lowrider007 said:
EDIT - Amazing game /\, had soooo much fun with that, I would gave anything to play that again in next gen GFX's.

Totally agree with this.

YES YES YES!!! What you said. NFS Hot Pursuit 2 is my favorite game for PS2.

Insane Metal

Gold Member
Jackson said:
need-for-speed-shift-20090303031211764.jpg

already quoted for the answer but anyway... this looks as good as GT5P!

Hope it really looks like that! :D

eso76

yeah, need for speed should go back to its roots.
NFS 1 is still one of my favourite racers ever: point to point races on regular streets and highways that felt authentic and lasted 10 + minutes.
There was a unique feeling of 'cruising' and really driving to get somewhere, not just racing. Many racers now feature traffic and even point to point races, but the feeling in NFS was entirely different, and i really hope we get something like that this gen.

Edit: some of those screens have clearly been aa'ed to death (unless they're from the pc version) but other than that i believe they could very well be pretty accurate. Some of those screen are less AA'ed than others and show some aliasing, motion blur is definately what you can expect from realtime graphics (not the accurately rendered motion blur from pgr4 photo mode, for example) and the game looks more or less on par with GRID, from a technical l too.
DOF not showing through car windows might or might not mean it's just PP. Might be a rendering bug or something, i remember the same going on in nba 2k7 pics and people using that as proof DOF was faked in PP; turned out it was a minor rendering bug, also present in the final game.

EDarkness

Anyone think this game looks more like your traditional racing game (i.e. normal tracks)? One thing I always liked about the Need for Speed games was that you could racing in "normal" places such as rural areas, cities, mountains, etc. No idea why they can't just make a Need for Speed like Hot Pursuit 2. That game was awesome.

FirewalkR

Insane Metal said:
already quoted for the answer but anyway... this looks as good as GT5P!

Hope it really looks like that! :D

It seems to look quite better, but we're seeing the PC version most likely. (most previews mentioned PC at least)

I like what I see. Surely it looks more like PGR4 than a classic NFS game, but I'm not complaining :) And I like the shaky internal cam and the crash scenes... looks good!

acm2000

oh god, that trailer... :eek:

GRiD was my racer of last year, this could be the racer of this year

however, worried about the framerate, need a demo, STAT

Goldrusher

EDarkness said:
Anyone think this game looks more like your traditional racing game (i.e. normal tracks)? One thing I always liked about the Need for Speed games was that you could racing in "normal" places such as rural areas, cities, mountains, etc.
Pretty much everyone here.

But most of us also know Race Driver GRID was horrible, while the original Race Driver was pretty damn awesome. So if it takes Blimey and the NFS name to bring us another decent Race Driver, so be it. But this sure ain't Need For Speed.

Top Bottom