• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed: The Run Announced [Trailer, Nov 15th, Black Box, Frostbite 2.0]

[Nintex]

BDGAME said:
Screens from 3DS version:

imagem.php

More here: http://www.wii-brasil.com/?sec=lernoticia&id=37128

I hate when they release big screens with 2 or 3 times the 3DS resolution or when they use that stupid "2 images to try to focus to see in 3D" thing.
Woah, it doesn't matter what they release, that looks like shit.

Jerykk

Banned
The Antitype said:
Interested to see how the QTEs factor into the races.

He entered one because he was at the back of the pack, and got hit by a car.

What if he hadn't been driving like shit and was in 3rd or better, could he have avoided that altogether and kept his time up?

The crashes shown in the E3 demo appear to be completely scripted. You can't avoid them. Forcing players to crash in a racing game seems like a really stupid idea.

Yet another example of a game trying too hard to be cinematic.

Two new cars

Fairlady Z240ZG
tpdXP.jpg

YrJu6.jpg

Mazda MX-5
sE6Ol.jpg

R6gk2.jpg

This game is sounding a lot more appealing after watching and reading some interviews. The demo shown at E3 is what they call an action level. Those are the levels with somewhat scripted races and onfoot segments. They're supposed to take up less than 10% of the full game. They've also said that this game will have 300 km of road, which is the most in any NFS game. Hot Pursuit had 160 km of road.

xXJonoXx

It looks like they changed the car on the official box art from the Mustang to the Aventador. What's up with that?

Original:

tumblr_lkqlhnp5lS1qzae1co1_500.jpg

New:

nfs-the-run-new-ps3-box-art.jpg

Also, exclusive content only on PS3.

B-Dex

It was probably because they were under NDA to not reveal the look of the car until Lambo gave the OK. So they had to use alt art.

Even QA would have to block out the model in bug screenshots if there was a bug to do with the cars in-game.

Or they just changed their minds or were money-hatted.

I'm actually pretty disappointed at how this game unveils. I though the entire concept of a cross country race would be some cinematic action and some strategy influencing the races. But so far I could not read anything about that. The only things I've seen were classic races and qte...

Cross country races mean taking decisions. I can understand how hard And frustrating for both player and dev to figure out: loosing too much time and you don't win the race. But beginners and bad players will wine while pro will think it's to easy to win within a certain given time. I'm not asking for a persistent like race through the entire game.

But some decision making giving perks, limitations... For exeme, take route A or B ? A is more tricky ( mountains) but B is more straight forward, faster but as cops patrolling.

If you win A, you can obtain better handling skill, while if you win B, you win random evade item or nitro boost.

You could build a character profile and every Run would end differently depending on players style and skill.

xXJonoXx

BADNED said:
They changed nothing. GT500 SS is the standard edition cover car and the Avantador is the limited edition cover car.

Won't every edition be "Limited" though, at least for a couple months?

I was really pessimistic about this when I tried it out at PAXPrime (jaggies everywhere, crashed multiple times on me, handling feels off).

Yesterday there was a Sony event in Toronto, and I guess it was a newer (possibly demo) build of the game, and it's been much improved. Visually it's a lot cleaner now, and the handling is starting to feel good (I'm still very uneasy about how sensitive the handbrake feels).

ShapeGSX

Just played the demo. It is awful. Graphics are mediocre. It doesn't have the drift awesomeness of Hot Pursuit. The car sounds like it might as well be electric. No punch to the audio at all.

This is a pass for me.

Clipse said:
Anyone else playing the demo and feel that the handling is just "off"?

If by off you mean total shit then yes.

The handling doesn't match the tracks, the cars, or anything related to the premise of the game. It's so dumb.

rvy

Banned
Yeah, not feeling this at all. Frustrating all around. lol'd at the fact that EA is so clingy to their Porsche license and then the default car for the demo is better.

This game plays terrible, that Lamborghini feels like a tank! No AA, screen tearing... meh. I'm not buying the game.

I need a new NFS: Undergound!

Apdiddy

Clipse said:
Anyone else playing the demo and feel that the handling is just "off"?

Yeah....I was wondering if I was the only one to notice. The car would go too far to the right then too far to the left if you slightly adjust it. And rubberbanding AI makes an appearance.

The controls for Forza 4 were a lot better -- even Shift 2 Unleashed and NFS: Hot Pursuit does better.

I purchased Hot Pursuit on Steam last month and really enjoyed the game till my video card acted up. I just finished The Run demo for 360 and I don't know why the game feels bad, the handling is off and the graphics spotty at times. Good news is I can cross The Run from my November purchase list.

awilliams213 said:
I purchased Hot Pursuit on Steam last month and really enjoyed the game till my video card acted up. I just finished The Run demo for 360 and I don't know why the game feels bad, the handling is off and the graphics spotty at times. Good news is I can cross The Run from my November purchase list.

Because they are made by two differences developer. One is awesome the other well...

I played this at PAX and it was horrible.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
As someone who never likes racing games I actually enjoyed the demo. It's funny seeing NFS fans disliking it. Although why the hell was there no running in the demo? That was the only reason I downloaded it in the first place.

mik

mik is unbeatable
The Run took me 2:20. There are a series of challenges to complete, and there's always online--but yeah, the "campaign" takes you 3,000 miles in about two hours.

Aaron

DrAndonuts said:
Lame about the 2 hours - I think I'll pick it for $30 on Black Friday.
Why not play any other racing game on the planet and save yourself from throwing any money away? Unless it's been your dream to play a racing game with unskippable cut-scenes.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Aaron said:
Why not play any other racing game on the planet and save yourself from throwing any money away? Unless it's been your dream to play a racing game with unskippable cut-scenes.

And ice skating even in non-ice-level cars.

sarcoa

My total time for The Run was like 1:50 but it took me closer to 4-5 hours split between loading time and failure :/

Aaron said:

Because I think the premise of a cross-country race in a videogame is a cool one. I'll also be playing online and the challenges that come with the single player.

sarcoa said:
My total time for The Run was like 1:50 but it took me closer to 4-5 hours split between loading time and failure :/
Even then. 4-5 isn't a whole lot.

It's sounding like a racing game designed for people who don't like racing.

sarcoa

AlphaTwo00 said:
Even then. 4-5 isn't a whole lot.

It's sounding like a racing game designed for people who don't like racing.
My review is still being written but yeah, sort of. It feels more focused on set pieces, scripted destruction, and trying to be an action movie rather than a pure racing game.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
sarcoa said:
My review is still being written but yeah, sort of. It feels more focused on set pieces, scripted destruction, and trying to be an action movie than a pure racing game.
That actually doesn't sound like a bad thing (nothing wrong with trying something different). Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like it is particularly well made.

Top Bottom