• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed: The Run Announced [Trailer, Nov 15th, Black Box, Frostbite 2.0]

Vinterbird said:
It's the only way the series could keep going. It's not like it is a multi million mainstream hit.
I was betting on "Need For Speed: Burnout" to cross the stream at somepoint.

Hasn't happened yet.

fernoca

AlphaTwo00 said:
Two.

The trailers date puts it exactly one year after Hot Pursuit.
3, though:
July 2010-July 2011:
Need for Speed: World
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit
Shift 2: Unleashed (Need for Speed: Shift 2)

November 2010-November 2011
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit
Shift 2: Unleashed (Need for Speed: Shift 2)
Need for Speed: The Run

Brazil said:
Then... Three.
That's a terrible way of looking at it? It's like arguing that there are too many Call of Duty games out at the same time, even if they're all exactly one year apart in release.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Hopefully the fact that this game isn't made by Criterion means that they're working on a new Burnout.

AlphaTwo00 said:
That's a terrible way of looking at it? It's like arguing that there are too many Call of Duty games out at the same time, even if they're all exactly one year apart in release.
I don't think three completely different Need for Speed games in a year is "too much". I'm just saying that, well, he was right.

Seems like another story focused NFS. I spotted Denver and New York in the trailer, and the ending makes it seem like you travel across America on the run from the police.

Brazil said:
Hopefully the fact that this game isn't made by Criterion means that they're working on a new Burnout.

I don't think three completely different Need for Speed games in a year is "too much". I'm just saying that, well, he was right.

They're working on Hot Pursuit II ofc.

fernoca

AlphaTwo00 said:
Did anyone play it? Does it even count? All I've remembered reading about it is that it's basically the map of Most Wanted + Carbon mashed together.
Was released on July 2010, not many people playing it doesn't change the fact that it was released as a Need for Speed game. Which is what the other poster argued about "too many Need for Speed games". Probably why they released Shift 2 without the 'Need for Speed' name in the title, but with the logo anyway (and the name at the bottom of the cover like to remind people it's a NFS-game). :p

Is like not counting Guitar Hero On Tour because it was released on the DS, or GH: Van Halen because not many got it. You can bet that people will include those names in the "Guitar Hero-milking lists".

So November looks fun. Uncharted 3, Skyrim, Battlefield 3 and NFS: The Run. A new Assassin's Creed will probably come out that month also.

SolidSnakex said:
So November looks fun. Uncharted 3, Skyrim, Battlefield 3 and NFS: The Run. A new Assassin's Creed will probably come out that month also.
I swear every november it gets worse and worse.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
SolidSnakex said:

Mass Effect 3
Call of Duty (probably)

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
The last need for speed game i enjoyed was Underground 2, i doubt i'l enjoy this

Wario64 said:
Mass Effect 3
Call of Duty (probably)

Forgot about those. CoD is a definite for November. I think EA could try to slip ME3 into December where it could receive all the press attention. November is looking really mess though. Publishers really need to stop targeting that month so much. It's fine to release games in October and December also.

kylej

Banned
chell.png

portal_2_chell.jpg

Nice to see Chell doing well.

Raxus

kylej said:
Nice to see Chell doing well.
Glad I am not the only one to notice. Need for Speed: Portal

Actually, that sounds really good. Scratch that, the idea is MINE EA, MINE!

It's called The Run. An illicit, high-stakes race across the country. The only way to get your life back is to be the first from San Francisco to New York. No speed limits. No rules. No allies. All you have are your driving skills and sheer determination as you battle hundreds of the world's most notorious drivers on the country's most dangerous roads.

So it's like an extreme version of Gumball 3000.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
AlphaTwo00 said:
Well it seems like Criterion was a one-off thing where they needed to give Black Box more time.

It seems EA is trying hard to separate Shift away from the Arcad-y racing that is from Black Box, so that's ok, I guess.
Criterion wasn't a one off event, but rather they're doing the Treyarch/Infinity Ward thing.

AlphaTwo00 said:
I was betting on "Need For Speed: Burnout" to cross the stream at somepoint.

Hasn't happened yet.
Actually, they're making an XBLA/PSN Burnout: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=426186

V_Ben said:
A NFS on Frostbite? That'd be pretty sweet.

It would also make a lot of sense considering that this game looks like it's going to have a lot of destruction and that's one of the areas that 2.0 excells at.

odhiex

Why this is not Most Wanted 2? (NFS:MW2)

I think it would work as a brand... :D anyway, looking forward for E3..

low-G

I want less urban more happy Hot Pursuit 2010 style NFS...

I'd love a Cruis'n USA style, but this doesn't seem like that.

Net_Wrecker said:
So uhh, EA going for a record for most games from one franchise released in a 2 year period?
Activision still holds the record with Guitar Hero.

Nirolak said:
Criterion wasn't a one off event, but rather they're doing the Treyarch/Infinity Ward thing.
Really? Criterion and Black Box is on a two year cycle to pump out a NFS, yet Slightly Mad gets to put one out every year? I'd imagine Criterion move back into Burnout in some capacity, or onto something else. I can't see anybody keeping more than 2 studios just for racing games, and EA has 3.

Top Bottom