• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need some JP only game recommendations

Shouta

Now that I`m in Japan for a month, I need some recommendations I can look into for games to buy on the PS2, GBA, and PS. Any one got any ideas? ;p

kiryogi

Banned
No GC?! You suck! I kid. Since you're such a kirby fan why not get Starfi for the GBA? or Gyakuten Saiban (sp?)

edit: oh yeah, how about Kururin?

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Hey Shouta, could you pick this one up for me(and yourself):

60j.gif

60j_07.gif
60j_05.gif

You can make your own Tokusatsu/Sentai team! :D

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
Defensor said:
Hey Shouta, could you pick this one up for me(and yourself):

60j.gif

60j_07.gif
60j_05.gif

You can make your own Tokusatsu/Sentai team! :D

What is that? It looks, uhhhh, interesting.

kiryogi

Banned
You lazy ass :p Are you offering to buy stuff for requests too? (paid back of course :p )

Also I just remmebered another PSX/GBA title, how about Black Matrix/Zero? Or Summon Night 3 for PS2

Heres pics of Gyakuten Saiban 2/3

saiban_2_store.jpg

gyakuten_shop.jpg

Black Matrix advance
black_matrix_zero_store.jpg

Kururin and its sequel:

kuru_kururin_a.jpg

kururin_paradise_shop.jpg

Starfi! (On note Cast's enjoyed this one too)
starfi_store.jpg

stafi_2_shop.jpg

SMT 1/2?
shin_megami2.jpg

SLIME MORIMORI!!
mori_slime_shop.jpg

Shouta

I was thinking of picking up the PS Black Matrix or the PS2 Black Matrix. Shame the rant out Kitsune isn`t around.

HAOHMARU

Whatever you do, DO NOT get Kengo 2 for the PS2. That is my only advice...(learn from my mistake >_<)

Hey Shouta...where in Japan are you? God I miss being there... :(

Shouta

I`m in Nagoya at the moment. Gonna go hit Tokyo probably next week.

On that note, I think I`ll go pick up Growlanser 1 since it`d be decent prep for Growlanser Generations.

If you can manage a PC RPG game, then I suggest Falcom's Legend of Heroes VI. I just got the game and so far it seems pretty interesting and the gameplay is pretty cool. However, the beginning portion of the game is extremely linear and I'm hoping that your able to branch out and explore more areas (with a lot more freedom) as the game progresses. The graphics are very reminiscent of Falcom's Ys 6: Ark of Nephitism and I'm thinking that it probably uses the same graphics engine.

http://www.falcom.co.jp/ed6/index.html

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Mr_Furious said:
It's an action game where you play a super hero and you run around doing various good deeds. It's pretty comical and reminds me of Rent A Hero.
Awesome! I gotta keep an eye out for that. What's the title of the game?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Just a small FYI in case you didn't know, Shouta...there's a bunch of games coming out during the week of July 22-29, including Metal Slug Advance, SF3: 3rd Strike, and Guilty Gear Isuka. :) I'll be arriving in Japan in the 22nd; hope that SF3 Limited Edition won't be sold out when I get there...

BTW, do all the Simple games blow, or did I just play a bad game? I was interested in the recent release of the Giant Woman (The Daibijin?), but cancelled my order at the last second.

Lyte Edge said:
BTW, do all the Simple games blow, or did I just play a bad game? I was interested in the recent release of the Giant Woman (The Daibijin?), but cancelled my order at the last second.
It's a crap shoot. Some are relatively good and unique while others simply suck beyond belief. At least it's a small gamble.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"I`m in Nagoya at the moment. Gonna go hit Tokyo probably next week. "
"I'll be arriving in Japan in the 22nd;"

And MetronM is here now too....

And there are a few others who i keep meaning to meet up with....

So... Wanna hook up in Shibuya and go and hit a couple of bars or something? I'll create an Off topic post and we can round everyone up.

Games - most have been mentioned, but here goes :

PS
Internal Section
Ore no Ryori
Oh No!
Gaiaseed
Power Shovel ni narou
Gun Parade March
Tomurunner
Community Pom
Jumbo Xai
Pu-Li-Ru-La
Fist of the North Star
Robbit Mon Dieu!
tear ring saga
Front Mission History
Umi no
Adventures of Little Ralph
Panzer Bandit
Gradius Gaiden
einhander
Bishi Bashi Special
Harmful Park
R-type Delta
Salary Man Challenge
Sexy Parodius (was this released elsewhere?)
Thnderforce 5
Tobal 2
the platformer with the girl ... Umihar-something or other!

PS2
Kuma no uta ;)
the new Ultraman game (looks real fun)
Gatcharok 1-2
Densha de go ! Final
Sega-ages Virtua Racing / fantasy zone / Bonanza brothers
Katamari Damacy
the Sarugetchu mini game thing that came out yesterday
The simple series : Taxi
The simple series : The one with the massive woman smashing up cities
The simple series : The one where big aliens invade cities.
The new mana game
Phantom Brave
Initial D
Power Pro Kun 11 (next week?)
Taiko no Tatsujin
Armoured Core : Nexus
Dance summit

GBA
Slime Mori Mori
That enix Footsal game with monsters that i forget the name of
Gyakuten Saiban 1-2
Zettai ni Jisan (not sure that is the right title)
Hachemon (i really like this one)

Hmm... bit of a brain dump there....

oh - yeah, i played the demo of Sakura Hill firestation , it's pretty good. Definitely worth a check.

Shouta

Was thinking of getting Gunbird 1 & 2 as a gift to our favorite D-Crow. Hopefully he isn`t looking at this thread ;p. Stupid Eiden was out of stock with Growlanser 1 and Summon Night (wanted to try this one). Boourns. I might pick up Espgaluda and Venus and Braves before I go back to Seattle. Hmm. Was tempted to pick up Slime MOri Mori today butttt I still got a lot of time here and I don`t think that`s going anywhere ;p. Anyone know how the Gyakuten Saiban games play?

kiryogi

Banned
Visual novel? Not completely sure. It's about being a lawyer thats trying to prove his client guilty/innocent through crazy means and investigation. It's really a hot hit in japan, but never tried it myself.

DCharlie

"Anyone know how the Gyakuten Saiban games play?"

it's kind of like a novel.

You get to see a crime (nice graphics and FANTASTIC music), most times you get to see what actually happened.

Then it's off to court where you get to here people give their side of what happened.
You can then interject and ask questions on certain subjects in an attempt to get the defendent to crack.

It's kind of hard to explain, but the games are utterly fantastic. Obviously, Japanese knowledge is a must (it takes me a while and i usually have to beg the GF for help).

DCharlie

i think for GBA games it would be a bit of a risk given the reputed licensing deals with nintendo.

Also, you'd still have to pay to translate (i believe Capcom handle all this internally).

Also - as great as it is, i wonder how many people in the west would go for Saiban?

aku:jiki

Mr_Furious said:
I'll stick with PS2 only for this post...

*lots of awesome games*

+ Bemani games, Flipnic, Sega Ages 3D games, Simple 2000 series....
This post rules and this man is my new hero.

Also, DCharlie's tips rock too. I love it when all the work has been done and all I have to do is second it. And, no, Sexy Parodius was never released elsewhere.

Shouta

Elevator Action *shudder*

Anyhoo, been seeing tons of game commercials on TV O_O. The Donkey Konga ones are pretty funny but not as funny as the EyeToy ones XD.

Anyone else got some recommendations in the RPG department?

For Japan only there's always Atelier Iris, Seven, Venus and Braves, Growlanser 4, Popolocrois 3 and 4, and DQ5 if you haven't played that. I really wish Seven and V&B would've got released here.

ferricide

if you like fire emblem pick up tear ring saga for PS1. so fire emblem-like, nintendo sued! and lost.

there are so many RPGs that didn't come out here that randomly recommending them is a bit difficult. for PS1, what about soul hackers or persona 2: innocent sin?

Shouta

Woo, found a game store with all kinds of games for sale including tons of cheap Playstation games =O. Picked up Growlanser 1 today and I might pick up Summon Night 2, Persona: Innocent Sin, Soul Hackers and Eithea soon. Tons of other cheap PS games and some cheap PS2 games there too. =D~~~~

Top Bottom