• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neil Druckmann's Response To Uncharted 4 Black Character Controversy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also jesus, we are talking about forced equality again? There is no such thing as forced equality. And on top of that no one has forced Naughty Dog to do shit. They have expressed disappointment in their decision and the studio as professionals have addressed it and will fully take this into account for future titles. How is that an issue unless you think that Naughty Dog can do no wrong? (Which they already acknowledged their choice would open them up to criticism).

I think part of the problem is some people don't think there is anything to criticize ND for or they should be used as eg of the industry .
This problem has many aspect and different people care about certain parts more than others parts.

Drencrom

Thats not true at all... They had the black character all along... While they had casted bailey. They were waiting for redesigns, but the leads loved the black nadine designs so much that they just stuck with it.

I'm not faulting ND in this situation. Its just a wider industry issue. But the people who come in here and say bullshit like "they gave it to the most talented actor, simple as that" really need a heavy, heavy dosage of perspective.

No, that's not what Druckmann said. They had casted her before they got the final character design of her that was black. Their intention wasn't to make a black character from the start it seems.

Damerman

So you're saying Neil lied? He clearly stated the had not settled on any character designs at the point that the casting was done...
You must have missed the part where they said they had the black nadine design from the get go.

I didn't say they settled for that design before casting.... I said they casted her and were still debating the design while heavily favoring the black nadine.

Looks like there's been more controversy created by developers trying to cater to other demographics than not trying at all.
I remember reading the call of duty thread with customizable characters and everybody attacking the developer because it didn't offer enough variation.

I wonder if this is a turn off to developers reading this form. Probably thinking it's better not to offer anything because people will complain regardless.

What??? They want more create a character options and they want us to try to cast black actors for black characters????

Remove the create a character and making the character white. Those people don't appreciate anything!

GutZ31

For all the people that find this upsetting;
Did you also find it upsetting when you found out that the cast of Finding Nemo were not actually fish?
Was it also upsetting to find out that God of Wars Spartan "Kratos" is voiced by Terrence C. Carson?

When is it acceptable to be outraged and not?

Personally, a performance is just that. It can be good, or bad, but it can't have a race/religion/ideology/sex.

Damerman

Did you also find it upsetting when you found out that the cast of Finding Nemo were not actually fish?
Was it also upsetting to find out that God of Wars Spartan "Kratos" is voiced by Terrence C. Carson?

Personally, a performance is just that. It can be good, or bad, but it can't have a race/religion/ideology.
Blegh... Im out.

I think part of the problem is some people don't think there is anything to criticize ND for .
This problem has many aspect and different people care about certain parts more than others .

Well Druckman obviously did otherwise he would have handwaved it as bullshit instead of giving us a legitimate answer.

If you don't care just plainly state that. But it is just ignorance to imply people are seeing an issue out of nothing. How many discussions about women, minorities, sexual orientation etc are we going to have before all the people handwaving it as bullshit clue in that there is a reason this is constantly being discussed?

Drencrom

You must have missed the part where they said they had the black nadine design from the get go.

I didn't say they settled for that design before casting.... I said they casted her and were still debating the design while heavily favoring the black nadine.

Where/when did he said that? It's not part of that summary in the OP at least, which makes it sound like they got the black Nadine design after they got the Laura casted.

prwxv3

What??? They want more create a character options and they want us to try to cast black actors for black characters????

Remove the create a character and making the character white. Those people don't appreciate anything!
They should not cast black actors for black roles exclusivity. That is fucking stupid. It does not matter what your skin color is for VA roles. They just need to cast black actors for any role period. That is the problem not getting the right race for the right role.

Am_I_Evil

they never said that...you need to watch the video again...

Laura Bailey is an amazing and talented voice actor. She's starred in a lot of AAA games before and perfect for the role.

I don't think anyone is saying she isn't a talented voice actor. As you say, she has starred in a lot of AAA games and will continue to star in many more. So with that in mind, wouldn't it have been great for a relatively unknown black voice actor to have gotten an opportunity to get a big role like this, playing an strong black character, in an industry dominated by prominent white voice actors?

Maxim726X

Personally, a performance is just that. It can be good, or bad, but it can't have a race/religion/ideology.

You're missing the larger point here- It's that the pool of talented minority voice actors is much smaller than that of white voice actors.

While I normally agree with 'the most qualified should get the job' mentality, we should at least acknowledge that the opportunity isn't the same for others in the field.

Personally, a performance is just that. It can be good, or bad, but it can't have a race/religion/ideology/sex.
Read this post then come back to me.
http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=188120496

They should not cast black actors for black roles exclusivity. That is fucking stupid. It does not matter what your skin color is for VA roles. They just need to cast black actors for any role period. That is the problem not getting the right race for the right role.

Please point out where I said cast black actors for black roles exclusively.

I think the simple solution to this issue and others in the industry with censorship is to only release Call of Duty's and Madden's from now on

I mean anything creative is going to offend at least one small group of people regardless of how small

I don't think anyone is saying she isn't a talented voice actor. As you say, she has starred in a lot of AAA games and will continue to star in many more. So with that in mind, wouldn't it have been great for a relatively unknown black voice actor to have gotten an opportunity to get a big role like this, playing an strong black character, in an industry dominated by prominent white voice actors?

I don't think anyone would disagree with that .
But with how development went this is how things end ep.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Complaining about there even being a discussion taking place will result in your stay here being short, nasty and brutish.

We'll create a new thread and start over later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom