• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Neo' & 'Neophyte' Members - New Thread Requests, Full Members Will Post on Your Behalf

lionagony

Neo Member
Hello, here is my idea for a gaming post.

Title- My thoughts after trying every SNES, Genesis and Amiga game

In 2023 I've been bitten huge by the emulation bug and have spent many hours trying the commercial catalogues of the three major platforms of the era, the Amiga, the Sega Genesis and the Super Nintendo (roughly 3000, 1000 and 1750 games respectively). I did this from the perspective of an action fan who mainly likes pick up and go action games that are fun and I also prioritize great graphics. I love 2D pixel art and took a huge break from gaming after things veered into 3D. Having grown up owning an A500 and an A1200 but not a machine from Sega or Nintendo I was more familiar with the Amiga library but still had a lot of games to discover for the first time from each.

I've now tried at least a few minutes of every commercial game (I'm sure I've missed some) from the 3 main systems. My objective is to put all my favourite games into a list and then revisit them all and play them more extensively which I have already done with quite a few. Since everything was done with emulation it was an even playing field because all loading times are now the same and any button inputs etc. can be configured in any way you like. I made a post on Reddit about my Amiga list which was then 310 games and has now been revised to 312.

I then went through the Sega Genesis/Sega CD/Sega 32X catalogue and put up my list of 190 favourite games that has now been revised to 197 https://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=1620501&postcount=46 I've just finished the SNES list which is at the bottom of this post and it is for 201 games.

So the final tally of "come back to games" is Amiga 312, Sega 197 and SNES 201. On the Sega list there were 56 that were also on the Amiga list and the SNES had 37 that were also on the Amiga list and quite a few that were also on the Sega list. So I tried to be as unbiased as possible when doing the lists and thought I'd write down my random thoughts if anyone is interested.

-The Amiga wins for me not just in sheer number of games but also in variety and that's keeping in mind I'm not really interested in strategy or RPG or simulation games etc. My Amiga list is just more eclectic even though they are mostly all action oriented. The SNES catalogue had the second most variety and the Genesis had the least being heavily skewed to sports games, shmups, beat em ups and platform games. So ranking in terms of variety it's 1)Amiga 2)SNES 3)Genesis

-I'd say in terms of overall performance the Amiga 500 and Genesis are roughly equivalent. The copper, blitter and extended palette give the Amiga some advantages and the sprites and tile system give the Sega Genesis some. The CD32 I'd say is roughly equivalent to a SNES without Mode 7 but with a CD drive. Each system definitely has a distinctive "look" to their games and I definitely prefer the Amiga look. I think the Amiga game Agony is the most beautiful of the entire 16 bit era. I know that is subjective but I saw nothing that topped it, it is like playing a moving art piece. I found the Amiga games would more often go for a more sophisticated, realistic art style. Also I would characterize more Amiga games as depicting a fantasy type world instead of a pastel anime kind of world on the SNES or a more gritty comic book look on the Sega Genesis. Obviously there are many exceptions to this rule but the general aesthetic of each system is definitely its own.

-The detail in Amiga graphics is also a differentiator, something like Banshee has such exquisite detail, also games like Slam Tilt or Disposable Hero. I think the bitmap vs tile system and the resolution helps the Amiga in this regard, the attention to detail in the graphics was something I definitely noticed

-Although graphically I found Amiga games most beautiful and stunning like Agony, Lionheart, Elfmania, Super Stardust etc. I was impressed with the Disney games that originated on the consoles like Pinocchio, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Lion King, Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck etc.

-The more extensive sprite systems of the SNES and Genesis did give advantages in some games like Contra III, Contra Hard Corps and Gunstar Heroes. However, there was no shmup on any system that rivalled the sheer intensity of Mega Typhoon on the Amiga 500 and seeing that game in action made me think the Amiga was also capable of those kind of sprite based games if the Mega Typhoon coding techniques had been discovered earlier

-While playing the SNES games that were also on the Genesis I wondered if SNES owners back in the day were kind of annoyed at developers for playing to the lowest common denominator by catering to the Genesis like what happened in the 1980's where the Amiga had to suffer with all the Atari ST ports. I noticed a lot of low color screens on the SNES that is able to do 256 colors that I imagined might have been done in 64 or less for the Genesis and then just never improved when ported

-Mode 7 was used a lot more than I imagined. There were many different types of SNES games that implemented the mode in various ways. I thought Contra III might have been my favourite game on the SNES and those overhead levels were very unique and entertaining. I think Mode 7 went beyond a gimmick on the SNES and was a good differentiator and was probably a factor in pushing the gaming industry towards 3D.

-The term "console quality" I think is really a misnomer and probably just a clever marketing trick because there were a lot of bad playing and looking games on both consoles. I think Nintendo's quality control was a notch above Sega's but popping in a random console game does not mean you are going to automatically see something polished like Contra III or Vectorman it could just as easily be Awesome Possum, Home Alone 2 or Hardball III. I also witnessed many instances of flickering and slowdown on both the SNES and the Genesis.

-I love platfrom games and when going over the lists I was saddened to see how few were made specifially for AGA Amigas. There were a lot of spruced up OCS/ECS games but commercially besides Marvin's Marvelous Adventure and Tin Toy Adventure there was little else in the mid 90's. Donkey Kong Country 3 was probably the most impressive platform game I saw on the SNES and it would have been wonderful to see more attempts on the A1200/CD32

-The Overall winner for me is definitely the Amiga, it was my first love and maybe it's my bias but its games just have that je ne sais quoi. Action games are supposed to be the bread and butter of the consoles but I found over 100 more action games to play on the Amiga. I also discovered a lot of good games on the consoles but I'm pretty sure I'll spend the most time going back to games on my Amiga list over the other two. If I had to choose only one console to have it would definitely be the SNES. Again it had more variety and the graphics were better so any game that was shared by the SNES and the Genesis I will return to the SNES version with only a few exceptions. Since the Amiga list and Genesis list shared a lot more games if you were to have a limited budget or limited time the combination of the Amiga and the SNES would probably be your best bet.

I'm now going to go through the entire catalogue of the Turbo Grafx 16/PC Engine but I'm not sure how many people would be interested in that list. Then I plan to do all the 2D games of the PS1. So here is my list of favourite SNES games again from the perspective of an action fan who also prioritizes great graphics (games also on the Amiga list marked with a *)

Adv.of Batman & Robin, *Adv. of Kid Kleets, Adv. Yogi Bear

Aero Fighters, Aero the Acrobat 2, Aladdin

American Tail, *Arkanoid, Asterix

Asterix and Obelix, Axelay, Batman Forever

Battle Raiden, Beauty & the Beast, Bio Metal

Blazeon, Bonkers, Bugs Bunny

Cannon Fodder, Capcom's Soccer Shootout, Castlevania Dracula X

*Championship Soccer 94, *Chuck Rock, Clay Fighter 2

Contra III, *Cool Spot, CutThroat Island

Cybernator, D-Force, Darius Twin

Daze Before Christmas, Demon's Crest, *Dennis

*Desert Strike, Donkey Kong Country, Donkey Kong Country 2

Donkey Kong Country 3, Do Re Mi Fantasy, Dragon Bruce Lee Story

Earth Defense Force, Earthworm Jim, Earthworm Jim 2

F1 Grand Prix, Fifa 97, Final Fight

*First Samurai, *Flashback, Flintstones

Flintstones Treasure of Sierra, Frantic Flea, Front Mission:Gun Hazard

F-Zero, Ganbare! Daiku, Ganbare Goemon 2

*Gods, Go Go Ackman, Great Battle IV

Great Circus Mystery, Gunforce, Gundam Wing

Hagane, Hameln no Violin Hiki, *Humans

Imperium, Incantation, Indiana Jones

Iron Commando, *James Pond 3, Jelly Boy

Jikkyon Parodius, *Jim Power, Joe and Mac

Joe and Mac 2, Judge Dredd, Jungle Book

*Jungle Strike, Jurassic Park, Jurassic Park 2

Ken Griffey Winning Run, King of Demons, Kirby's Dreamland 3

*Lamborghini American Challenge, Legend, Legend of Zelda

*Lemmings, *Lemmings 2, Lester the Unlikely

*Lethal Weapon, *Lion King, *Lost Vikings

Lost Vikings 2, Lucky Luke, Lupin Sansei

Magical Quest Mickey, Marchen Adventures Cotton, Maui Mallard

Mech Warrior 3050, Mega Man X2, Mega Man X3

Melford Stories, Metal Warriors, Mickey Mania

Mickey No Tokyo, Mickey to Donald, *Micro Machines

Micro Machines 2, Mohawk & Headphone Jack, Mr Nutz, Mr Tuff

*Ms Pacman, NBA Hang Time, NBA Live 98

Newman Haas Indy Car, Nightmare Busters, NHL 98

*Nigel Mansell's Racing, Ninja Warriors, *Oscar

*Out of This World, Pagemaster, Parodius Da

PGA Tour Golf, Phalanx, Phantom 2040

Pilot Wings, Pink Goes to Hollywood, Pinocchio

Pirates of Dark Water, Plok, Pocky and Rocky

Pocky and Rocky 2, Porky Pig, Prehistorik Man

Prince of Persia 2, *Pushover, *Putty Squad

R-Type III, Raiden Trad, Realm

Relief Pitcher, Rendering Ranger R2, Rockman and Forte

Rocky Rodent, Run Saber, Scrambled Valkyrie

Sky Blazer, Smurfs, Smurfs Travel the World

Socks the Cat, *Soldiers of Fortune, Space Megaforce

Sparkster, Speedy Gonzales, Spider-Man

Spider-Man Venom, Spirou, Spriggan Powered

Star Fox, Street Fighter 2, *Street Racer

Strike Gunner, Super Adventure Island, *Super Alfred Chicken

Super Back to the Future 2, Super Bonk, *Super Buster Bros

Super Castlevania, Super Genjin 2, Super Ghouls and Ghosts

*Super James Pond, Super Mario All Stars, Super Mario Kart

Super Mario World, Super Metroid, *Super Morph

Super Nova, Super R-Type, Super Star Wars

Super Star Wars Empire, Super Star Wars Jedi, *Super SWIV

Super Turrican, Super Turrican 2, Sutte Hakkan

TMNT IV, Thunder Spirits, Time Slip

Tinhead, Tiny Toons Adventure, Todd McFarlane's Spawn

Toy Story, Umihara Kawase, UN Squadron

Urban Strike, *Whizz, *Wolfchild

Wolverine, *Worms, X-Kaliber

Yoshi's Island, Zero the Kamikaze Squirrel

cormack12

Gold Member

Title- My thoughts after trying every SNES, Genesis and Amiga game

In 2023 I've been bitten huge by the emulation bug and have spent many hours trying the commercial catalogues of the three major platforms of the era, the Amiga, the Sega Genesis and the Super Nintendo (roughly 3000, 1000 and 1750 games respectively). I did this from the perspective of an action fan who mainly likes pick up and go action games that are fun and I also prioritize great graphics. I love 2D pixel art and took a huge break from gaming after things veered into 3D. Having grown up owning an A500 and an A1200 but not a machine from Sega or Nintendo I was more familiar with the Amiga library but still had a lot of games to discover for the first time from each.

I've now tried at least a few minutes of every commercial game (I'm sure I've missed some) from the 3 main systems. My objective is to put all my favourite games into a list and then revisit them all and play them more extensively which I have already done with quite a few. Since everything was done with emulation it was an even playing field because all loading times are now the same and any button inputs etc. can be configured in any way you like. I made a post on Reddit about my Amiga list which was then 310 games and has now been revised to 312.

I then went through the Sega Genesis/Sega CD/Sega 32X catalogue and put up my list of 190 favourite games that has now been revised to 197 https://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=1620501&postcount=46 I've just finished the SNES list which is at the bottom of this post and it is for 201 games.

So the final tally of "come back to games" is Amiga 312, Sega 197 and SNES 201. On the Sega list there were 56 that were also on the Amiga list and the SNES had 37 that were also on the Amiga list and quite a few that were also on the Sega list. So I tried to be as unbiased as possible when doing the lists and thought I'd write down my random thoughts if anyone is interested.

-The Amiga wins for me not just in sheer number of games but also in variety and that's keeping in mind I'm not really interested in strategy or RPG or simulation games etc. My Amiga list is just more eclectic even though they are mostly all action oriented. The SNES catalogue had the second most variety and the Genesis had the least being heavily skewed to sports games, shmups, beat em ups and platform games. So ranking in terms of variety it's 1)Amiga 2)SNES 3)Genesis

-I'd say in terms of overall performance the Amiga 500 and Genesis are roughly equivalent. The copper, blitter and extended palette give the Amiga some advantages and the sprites and tile system give the Sega Genesis some. The CD32 I'd say is roughly equivalent to a SNES without Mode 7 but with a CD drive. Each system definitely has a distinctive "look" to their games and I definitely prefer the Amiga look. I think the Amiga game Agony is the most beautiful of the entire 16 bit era. I know that is subjective but I saw nothing that topped it, it is like playing a moving art piece. I found the Amiga games would more often go for a more sophisticated, realistic art style. Also I would characterize more Amiga games as depicting a fantasy type world instead of a pastel anime kind of world on the SNES or a more gritty comic book look on the Sega Genesis. Obviously there are many exceptions to this rule but the general aesthetic of each system is definitely its own.

-The detail in Amiga graphics is also a differentiator, something like Banshee has such exquisite detail, also games like Slam Tilt or Disposable Hero. I think the bitmap vs tile system and the resolution helps the Amiga in this regard, the attention to detail in the graphics was something I definitely noticed

-Although graphically I found Amiga games most beautiful and stunning like Agony, Lionheart, Elfmania, Super Stardust etc. I was impressed with the Disney games that originated on the consoles like Pinocchio, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Lion King, Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck etc.

-The more extensive sprite systems of the SNES and Genesis did give advantages in some games like Contra III, Contra Hard Corps and Gunstar Heroes. However, there was no shmup on any system that rivalled the sheer intensity of Mega Typhoon on the Amiga 500 and seeing that game in action made me think the Amiga was also capable of those kind of sprite based games if the Mega Typhoon coding techniques had been discovered earlier

-While playing the SNES games that were also on the Genesis I wondered if SNES owners back in the day were kind of annoyed at developers for playing to the lowest common denominator by catering to the Genesis like what happened in the 1980's where the Amiga had to suffer with all the Atari ST ports. I noticed a lot of low color screens on the SNES that is able to do 256 colors that I imagined might have been done in 64 or less for the Genesis and then just never improved when ported

-Mode 7 was used a lot more than I imagined. There were many different types of SNES games that implemented the mode in various ways. I thought Contra III might have been my favourite game on the SNES and those overhead levels were very unique and entertaining. I think Mode 7 went beyond a gimmick on the SNES and was a good differentiator and was probably a factor in pushing the gaming industry towards 3D.

-The term "console quality" I think is really a misnomer and probably just a clever marketing trick because there were a lot of bad playing and looking games on both consoles. I think Nintendo's quality control was a notch above Sega's but popping in a random console game does not mean you are going to automatically see something polished like Contra III or Vectorman it could just as easily be Awesome Possum, Home Alone 2 or Hardball III. I also witnessed many instances of flickering and slowdown on both the SNES and the Genesis.

-I love platfrom games and when going over the lists I was saddened to see how few were made specifially for AGA Amigas. There were a lot of spruced up OCS/ECS games but commercially besides Marvin's Marvelous Adventure and Tin Toy Adventure there was little else in the mid 90's. Donkey Kong Country 3 was probably the most impressive platform game I saw on the SNES and it would have been wonderful to see more attempts on the A1200/CD32

-The Overall winner for me is definitely the Amiga, it was my first love and maybe it's my bias but its games just have that je ne sais quoi. Action games are supposed to be the bread and butter of the consoles but I found over 100 more action games to play on the Amiga. I also discovered a lot of good games on the consoles but I'm pretty sure I'll spend the most time going back to games on my Amiga list over the other two. If I had to choose only one console to have it would definitely be the SNES. Again it had more variety and the graphics were better so any game that was shared by the SNES and the Genesis I will return to the SNES version with only a few exceptions. Since the Amiga list and Genesis list shared a lot more games if you were to have a limited budget or limited time the combination of the Amiga and the SNES would probably be your best bet.

I'm now going to go through the entire catalogue of the Turbo Grafx 16/PC Engine but I'm not sure how many people would be interested in that list. Then I plan to do all the 2D games of the PS1. So here is my list of favourite SNES games again from the perspective of an action fan who also prioritizes great graphics (games also on the Amiga list marked with a *)

Adv.of Batman & Robin, *Adv. of Kid Kleets, Adv. Yogi Bear

Aero Fighters, Aero the Acrobat 2, Aladdin

American Tail, *Arkanoid, Asterix

Asterix and Obelix, Axelay, Batman Forever

Battle Raiden, Beauty & the Beast, Bio Metal

Blazeon, Bonkers, Bugs Bunny

Cannon Fodder, Capcom's Soccer Shootout, Castlevania Dracula X

*Championship Soccer 94, *Chuck Rock, Clay Fighter 2

Contra III, *Cool Spot, CutThroat Island

Cybernator, D-Force, Darius Twin

Daze Before Christmas, Demon's Crest, *Dennis

*Desert Strike, Donkey Kong Country, Donkey Kong Country 2

Donkey Kong Country 3, Do Re Mi Fantasy, Dragon Bruce Lee Story

Earth Defense Force, Earthworm Jim, Earthworm Jim 2

F1 Grand Prix, Fifa 97, Final Fight

*First Samurai, *Flashback, Flintstones

Flintstones Treasure of Sierra, Frantic Flea, Front Mission:Gun Hazard

F-Zero, Ganbare! Daiku, Ganbare Goemon 2

*Gods, Go Go Ackman, Great Battle IV

Great Circus Mystery, Gunforce, Gundam Wing

Hagane, Hameln no Violin Hiki, *Humans

Imperium, Incantation, Indiana Jones

Iron Commando, *James Pond 3, Jelly Boy

Jikkyon Parodius, *Jim Power, Joe and Mac

Joe and Mac 2, Judge Dredd, Jungle Book

*Jungle Strike, Jurassic Park, Jurassic Park 2

Ken Griffey Winning Run, King of Demons, Kirby's Dreamland 3

*Lamborghini American Challenge, Legend, Legend of Zelda

*Lemmings, *Lemmings 2, Lester the Unlikely

*Lethal Weapon, *Lion King, *Lost Vikings

Lost Vikings 2, Lucky Luke, Lupin Sansei

Magical Quest Mickey, Marchen Adventures Cotton, Maui Mallard

Mech Warrior 3050, Mega Man X2, Mega Man X3

Melford Stories, Metal Warriors, Mickey Mania

Mickey No Tokyo, Mickey to Donald, *Micro Machines

Micro Machines 2, Mohawk & Headphone Jack, Mr Nutz, Mr Tuff

*Ms Pacman, NBA Hang Time, NBA Live 98

Newman Haas Indy Car, Nightmare Busters, NHL 98

*Nigel Mansell's Racing, Ninja Warriors, *Oscar

*Out of This World, Pagemaster, Parodius Da

PGA Tour Golf, Phalanx, Phantom 2040

Pilot Wings, Pink Goes to Hollywood, Pinocchio

Pirates of Dark Water, Plok, Pocky and Rocky

Pocky and Rocky 2, Porky Pig, Prehistorik Man

Prince of Persia 2, *Pushover, *Putty Squad

R-Type III, Raiden Trad, Realm

Relief Pitcher, Rendering Ranger R2, Rockman and Forte

Rocky Rodent, Run Saber, Scrambled Valkyrie

Sky Blazer, Smurfs, Smurfs Travel the World

Socks the Cat, *Soldiers of Fortune, Space Megaforce

Sparkster, Speedy Gonzales, Spider-Man

Spider-Man Venom, Spirou, Spriggan Powered

Star Fox, Street Fighter 2, *Street Racer

Strike Gunner, Super Adventure Island, *Super Alfred Chicken

Super Back to the Future 2, Super Bonk, *Super Buster Bros

Super Castlevania, Super Genjin 2, Super Ghouls and Ghosts

*Super James Pond, Super Mario All Stars, Super Mario Kart

Super Mario World, Super Metroid, *Super Morph

Super Nova, Super R-Type, Super Star Wars

Super Star Wars Empire, Super Star Wars Jedi, *Super SWIV

Super Turrican, Super Turrican 2, Sutte Hakkan

TMNT IV, Thunder Spirits, Time Slip

Tinhead, Tiny Toons Adventure, Todd McFarlane's Spawn

Toy Story, Umihara Kawase, UN Squadron

Urban Strike, *Whizz, *Wolfchild

Wolverine, *Worms, X-Kaliber

Yoshi's Island, Zero the Kamikaze Squirrel

Diablofans

Neo Member
Diablo IV First Expansion info leak

- New class - Spiritborn, uses Allegiance/Vigor resources, invokes Forest, Sky, Soil, Plains
- New zone - Nahantu Jungles, consists of Crater, Field of Giants, Kurast, Kurast throne room, LingeringHatred, Restless Canopy, Seven Stones, Teganze Plateu, World Boss subzones
- New dungeons - Beast Graveyard, Betrayed Tomb, Caves of Kutokue, Farai Cliffs, Feeding Grounds, Forge of Malice, Forgotten Remains, Hallowed Stones, Hierophant Pyre, Iron Cenotaph, Murmuring Spiral, Putrescent Larder, Razak's Descent, Remnants of Rage, Ruined Wild, Seething Underpass, Skatsimi Fane, Sleepless Hollow, Ularian Sepulcher, Vile Hive
- New feature - Raids, multiple wings, multiple tiers of difficulty?
- New feature - 6 types of mercenaries with own skill tree: Berserker Crone, Bounty Hunter, Cursed Child, Maiden and Mongrel, Scholar, Shield Bearer
- New feature - Empower items: increase rarity of common/magic items to 4-affix rare items, you can choose fourth affix. Three-affix Rare and Legendary items can be Empowered, but the rarity for these do not change.
- New mount type - Cat
- Town portal cosmetics has been added
- Neyrelle is having hallucinations in intro cinematic
- Live events
- Elite bounties
- Season 3 will have recipe events, Unearthed Machinations, Elemental Attune?

Adeptus

Hello,
I would like to ask somebody to post a thread in which I am looking for playtesters for my game.

Dominion of Darkness is a strategy/RPG text game (there are some 2D illustrations) in which the player takes on the role of a Sauron-style Lord of Darkness with the goal of conquering the world. He will carry out his plans by making various decisions. He will build his army and send it into battles, weave intrigues and deceptions, create secret spy networks and sectarian cults, recruit agents and commanders, corrupt representatives of Free Peoples and sow discord among them, collect magical artifacts and perform sinister plots.

Contrary to most "villain simulators" it is not supposed to be parody game. It doesn't mean that it is deadly serious, there is some black humour. There are themes like genocide, torture, slavery, demon summoning, human sacrifices, cannibalism, BDSM.

Here is the prototype (but in this post I am searching for people to test new, extended and improved version): https://adeptus7.itch.io/dominion

I am looking for people eager to help with playtesting - especially those fluent in English. As a tester, You will play, send me Your opinion, information about possible bugs, some details about stats achieved during it.

If You are interested, please write comment here or just send me Your email on chat.

PS. If You don't believe that game exists and think that this is some scam, here are reviews of the prototype:

- Indie Sampler:

- [BOKC] BlancoKix:

DoABarrelRoll

Neo Member

The Making of F-Zero | The History of F-Zero
F-Zero: An Odyssey in 16-Bits

Let's explore the origins of a 16-bit classic, one of the launch games for the Super Nintendo, the great F-Zero, getting to know its influences, development, and its legacy.
The game utilized Mode 7 technology, a technique that allowed real-time rotation and scaling of backgrounds, creating an unprecedented sense of depth and three-dimensionality in racing games of that era. Many games in the SNES catalog used this technology, such as Axelay - with effects like flying over a globe and enemies in the background; Pilot Wings - soaring to dizzying heights, and Mario Kart, which originated from an attempt to create a multiplayer F-Zero, but due to the impossibility of maintaining a split screen with the same speed as F-Zero, gave birth to another franchise.

In the 1990s, Nintendo sought to innovate with the Super Nintendo (SNES). Director Isshin Shimizu was creating a sequel to the game Famicom Grand Prix: F1 Race, but the game received heavy criticism, being deemed uninteresting and unsellable. This motivated Shimizu to create something truly impressive. While traveling to the United States, he drew inspiration from Batman comics, which were popular due to the 1989 film directed by Tim Burton, as well as movies like "Blade Runner" and "Tron".
Upon returning to Japan, Shimizu found Yasunari Nishida, who was experimenting with the "Mode 7" function of the Super Famicom, allowing real-time rotation and scaling of graphics. Shimizu was impressed with the technology and began creating a racing game using this functionality.

Thus, the idea for F-Zero was born. Set in 2560, the game was released in November 1990 and impressed players with innovative graphics and an immersive soundtrack. The vision for F-Zero was to create something entirely unique, with intergalactic races in alien landscapes and anti-gravity vehicles. The choice of a futuristic setting allowed the team to explore imaginative designs inspired by science fiction and advanced technology.

Development and Creative Team
The development of F-Zero was led by Shigeru Miyamoto, who played a crucial role in bringing out the best from his team. Skilled designer Hideki Konno developed challenging track layouts and anti-gravity vehicles with unique characteristics.

Revolutionary Technology and Technical Limits
F-Zero was a technological innovation for the Super Nintendo (SNES), standing out for its revolutionary use of Mode 7 technology. While other games used simple scrolling techniques, F-Zero offered a dynamic and immersive visual experience, with smoothly rendered undulating tracks. The intensive use of Mode 7 required a balance between graphical details and performance to avoid overloading the hardware.

F-Zero Characters and Story: Racers Beyond the Asphalt
F-Zero was not just about futuristic races and breakneck speeds; behind the tracks and anti-gravity vehicles were characters representing each vehicle in the game.
  • Captain Falcon: The game's protagonist, he was not just a skilled pilot but also a renowned bounty hunter. His pursuit of justice and mysterious charm captivated players. The aura of mystery surrounding Captain Falcon transformed him into a gaming icon, both as a pilot and a character.
  • Dr. Stewart: This speed-loving doctor dedicated his life to both caring for others and F-Zero races. His charisma and piloting skills made him a fan favorite, showing there was more to his character than just speed.
  • Samurai Goroh: A rival of Captain Falcon, Samurai Goroh was a determined pilot with a history of intense rivalry. His quest for victory against Captain Falcon added an element of fierce competition to the game, making him a memorable character.
  • Pico: An assassin and former soldier from the Special Anti-Aircraft Unit, he was an extremely aggressive and cold-hearted pilot. His appearance and unique abilities made him one of the most distinct characters in the game.

Storyline and Mythology
The F-Zero Grand Prix was a legendary competition that attracted pilots from all corners of the galaxy. Each pilot had a personal reason to compete, whether for glory, challenge, or deeper objectives.

F-Zero Soundtrack and Innovative Audio: Fast Melodies and Futuristic Sounds
F-Zero offered not only a visually thrilling experience but also innovative sound immersion. The soundtrack was iconic in gaming history. Tracks like "Mute City" and "Big Blue" became iconic, perfectly synchronizing with the intensity of the races and elevating the game's excitement. These fast-paced, energetic tracks not only accompanied but also propelled the action, creating a futuristic and urgent atmosphere.
In addition to music, F-Zero featured innovative audio effects. From the distinct sounds of vehicle engines to collision and skidding effects, each sound was designed to enhance immersion. Sound effects were synchronized with moving graphics, changing as players took turns or climbed ramps, amplifying the sensation of speed and movement. Thus, the combination of the pulsating soundtrack and meticulously designed audio effects not only accompanied but also enhanced the gaming experience, setting a new standard for audio integration in games of that time.

Legacy and Cultural Impact of F-Zero
F-Zero is not just a game; it is a franchise that has left its mark on the gaming industry and pop culture, continuing to inspire players and developers over the decades. The game set a standard for future racing games, introducing graphical and gameplay innovations that defined a new norm in the industry. F-Zero's innovative approach to graphics, especially with the revolutionary use of Mode 7, guided the evolution of racing games, encouraging the industry to explore new technologies and enhance the player experience.
Furthermore, F-Zero characters, especially the iconic Captain Falcon, transcended the world of video games, appearing in various media and other Nintendo games like the Super Smash Bros. series. The catchphrase "Falcon Punch!" became a popular meme in the gaming community, further solidifying its cultural presence. F-Zero's influence also extends to other Nintendo franchises, especially in racing games like Mario Kart, where elements such as dynamic track design and distinct characters were inspired by F-Zero's legacy.

Conclusion: F-Zero - A Journey Beyond Limits
Inspired by science fiction, the development team created a racing experience that dazzled with its revolutionary graphics. Mode 7 technology, coupled with a great soundtrack, set standards for future racing games and opened new horizons for the industry.
There were two updates for F-Zero released only in Japan using the Satellaview add-on for the Super Famicom. With it, players could download titles via satellite and save them on a flash ROM cartridge for temporary playback.
These updates were named BS F-Zero Grand Prix and BS F-Zero Grand Prix 2 in the mid-1990s.
The F-Zero GP Legends anime was released in 2003 by TV Tokyo, where 51 episodes aired. It's worth checking out as it is a very interesting and well-made anime.
When gameplay and level design are good, some games remain fun regardless of their age, and this applies perfectly to F-Zero, not just to it but also to other sequels in the franchise like F-Zero X and F-Zero GX, with the latter, in my opinion, being the best futuristic racing game ever made.
Hugs to everyone and until next time.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
_MOFlH.gif

This is for the noobs.

randomlock

Neo Member
Hi All
I don't have permission to create a new thread. How can I see what is the reason for it and what can I do to fix this?
Anyway what I want to post is

Title - How are you tracking your gaming list, watchlist, and other gaming-related news, info, etc?
Description - I couldn't find any decent apps in Google Play Store/iOS that are like an IMDB of video games where users can find, list, and maintain their gaming list/watchlist/planned games. I am thinking of creating an open-source mobile application where everyone from neogaf can contribute to the app. Users will be able do things like
  • Browing games, Adding games to their completed/planned/dropped list
  • Check game details, HLTB stats, Opencritic/Metacritic reviews, user reviews,
  • Check game characters, screenshots, and videos as well as any news related to it
  • Get recommended games based on their score and genres played
  • Get detailed analytics and statistics about the games they have added to their list
  • Publish their reviews and recommend games to others. Check recommended games from other users they want to follow or not
  • Lot of other features as suggested by neogaf members
The App should be completely free, open-source, and ad-free. Is there any need for this app or do you guys think there is already an existing application available that does all the things? I know that people use Steam, and PlayStation profiles to track all these but folks who are using multi-platform might not be able to have all their games in one place. Moreover, a lot of features as suggested above might not be available in a single application. Let me know what you guys think.

near

Gold Member
Hi All
I don't have permission to create a new thread. How can I see what is the reason for it and what can I do to fix this?
Anyway what I want to post is

Title - How are you tracking your gaming list, watchlist, and other gaming-related news, info, etc?
Description - I couldn't find any decent apps in Google Play Store/iOS that are like an IMDB of video games where users can find, list, and maintain their gaming list/watchlist/planned games. I am thinking of creating an open-source mobile application where everyone from neogaf can contribute to the app. Users will be able do things like
  • Browing games, Adding games to their completed/planned/dropped list
  • Check game details, HLTB stats, Opencritic/Metacritic reviews, user reviews,
  • Check game characters, screenshots, and videos as well as any news related to it
  • Get recommended games based on their score and genres played
  • Get detailed analytics and statistics about the games they have added to their list
  • Publish their reviews and recommend games to others. Check recommended games from other users they want to follow or not
  • Lot of other features as suggested by neogaf members
The App should be completely free, open-source, and ad-free. Is there any need for this app or do you guys think there is already an existing application available that does all the things? I know that people use Steam, and PlayStation profiles to track all these but folks who are using multi-platform might not be able to have all their games in one place. Moreover, a lot of features as suggested above might not be available in a single application. Let me know what you guys think.
I believe you’ll need a higher post count before being granted thread creating privileges.

In regards to your idea, I think it would be cool to have something like that. I actually track films I want to see through IMDb, books I want to read through Goodreads, Kdramas I want to watch through MyDramaList. I obsess over maintaining lists on those databases. I actually don’t use or know of a coherent one for video games. Wishlists on storefronts aren’t very good for tracking anything other than preorders/new releases. It would be nice to have one to track legacy games too.

If you want to create a thread about it over in the gaming side to generate discussion, I’m be happy to post it for you.

randomlock

Neo Member
I believe you’ll need a higher post count before being granted thread creating privileges.

In regards to your idea, I think it would be cool to have something like that. I actually track films I want to see through IMDb, books I want to read through Goodreads, Kdramas I want to watch through MyDramaList. I obsess over maintaining lists on those databases. I actually don’t use or know of a coherent one for video games. Wishlists on storefronts aren’t very good for tracking anything other than preorders/new releases. It would be nice to have one to track legacy games too.

If you want to create a thread about it over in the gaming side to generate discussion, I’m be happy to post it for you.
That would be great if you could post on my behalf.

Top Bottom