• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF’s Official Game Soundtracks of the 6th Generation: Results and Archive

jett

D-Member
Nice job! Shadow of the Colossus is in the absolutely correct position.

Solid list, but once again I have to disagree with Wind Waker placing so high. :p

Seems I should play one of dem Persona games, though.

jett

D-Member
The one shame is that so many people are unfamiliar with Ace Combat music. Any of the three PS2 games is deserving of being in the top 10.

Eolz

Wow, didn't expect SotC to win tbh.
Final results a bit more varied than I thought too.

Pretty sure I never wrote that Katamari Damacy recommendation though :p

demidar

Great work Schala. Can't imagine the work that goes into one of these threads so thanks for that (and the helpers too). Winners were expected but that's not an indictment on the other soundtracks. With such stiff competition, every little bit counts.

That Japan domination though. Which reminds me, I forgot to put Halo on my Honourable Mentions :S

I still haven't played SotC.

What are you doing GAF? No Shenmue in the top 10 is an absolute crime.
8gjeKPp.jpg

TheXbox

Sonic at 13? I played more of that game twelve years ago than I care to admit but I remember the soundtrack being mostly garbage. City Escape is ironically enjoyable at best. I don't get it.

and CE should be #1. you fucked up, gaf

Somnid

I expected better of GAF given the other soundtrack threads. SOTC had a serviceable soundtrack but like everything else in the game was not nearly as good as some would have you believe. Sound mixing in general was especially awful.

I do not agree with the list. Halo: Combat Evolved should of been number one in my opinion, but to each their own I guess.

The one shame is that so many people are unfamiliar with Ace Combat music. Any of the three PS2 games is deserving of being in the top 10.
I'd have picked 4 myself, but I might have crazy nostalgia goggles on that one.
Well, if people feel so strongly, they should've voted in the 30-day time period.
Somehow in the 30 days the voting was open, I never saw the thread once. Only once voting closed. These things really need to be stickied, otherwise they're just getting buried.

Lost track of time and forgot to vote, but all my choices made the top list anyway! I can't tell you how many times I've listened to Shadow of the Colossus, and the Persona soundtracks have been a regular part of my music rotation since each one came out. They are modern classics.

Honestly never listened to the Prime soundtrack, just played it once when it came out. Will get tonight and listen to it on the commute tomorrow.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Somehow in the 30 days the voting was open, I never saw the thread once. Only once voting closed. These things really need to be stickied, otherwise they're just getting buried.
I agree with that. This forum seems to move much faster than it used to, and stuff tends to get buried quicker than before when I was a more active poster. But that's up to the staff's discretion, I guess.

I expected better of GAF given the other soundtrack threads. SOTC had a serviceable soundtrack but like everything else in the game was not nearly as good as some would have you believe. Sound mixing in general was especially awful.

As a guy who studied audio in college I would honestly love for you to elaborate. I couldn't disagree more, I think it was especially well done.

Oh wow I forgot how great that song was! Need to give that OST a listen too as well. Great username btw.

Great list and great work on the OP!

Personally thought that Persona 4 was one of the weaker of the PS2 Meguro Soundtracks, especially compared to DDS, Nocturne, and even P3, but still a great OST.

Wish Xenosaga 3 was #1 though.

Fantastic work Dark Schala!

Did you ever post your personal SotG list? I would love to read it.

Edit: Found it! How could I miss it...

I gotta say, I had a blast listening to so many video game soundtracks again. It's pretty funny, at first I thought It was gonna be difficult to choose and create a list because I don't recall many soundtracks standing out besides FFX, P3:FES, and SotC (which are subsequently my top 3) The 6th generation of consoles' soundtracks just never really stayed with me the same way the previous generation did. PS1 era FF games, Chrono Cross, and an absolute myriad of N64 games are still clearly playing in my mind's ear. While I did enjoy a ton of PS2-era music, I feel like the previous still has more staying power.

While my list consisted of game's I've played, I did manage to listen to some soundtracks of games I did not play. Mother 3's soundtrack is absolutely fantastic, really wish I could find time to play it just to experience the music alone. A Certain Someone's Memories is currently stuck on autoplay, and I'm loving it. Though I've only now come to the realization that it was in previous Mother games, just named differently (Pollyanna). Also, while I did play Metroid Prime, I don't recall much from its soundtrack besides Phendrana Drifts. Probably should have given it a honorable mention at least since I did really enjoy that particular track. The rest of its soundtrack didn't hit that same high Phendrana drift knocked out when you first enter the snowy landscape for me. Regardless, it's really cool seeing how much other Gaffers remembered and enjoyed it, so it's place is rightfully deserved.

Why would platform matter?

Because platform limitations mean it'll never beat a full sweeping orchestral score.

Think of it like kazoo music. You could lovingly create the best damn kazoo music the world has ever seen. But it'll still be shit compared to an orchestra.

kosmologi

Much like in the Game of the Generation vote, the winners very much deserve their win. Great thread!

And thanks Schala for picking Under Cover of Night as an example of the Halo soundtrack. It's the perfect track from that soundtrack and it's something that's missing from the newer Halo soundtracks.

ec0ec0

I agree with that. This forum seems to move much faster than it used to, and stuff tends to get buried quicker than before when I was a more active poster. But that's up to the staff's discretion, I guess.

I also agree. Same for the other thread. The only people that are going to vote are: people that use GAF enough to catch the voting thread when it is on the front page, really passionate people, or people that use this page https://twitter.com/neogafnewthread

(and, still, it's easy to forget about it unless you vote right away)

These things really need to be stickied.

it's the best solution.

I didn't even know there was a voting for this. It's an okay list though. I would have put Okami and Wind Waker in top three, probably.

Griss

Amazing choices by GAF. Surprised Katamari was as low as it was, though.

Phenomenal work by Schala, too. Above and beyond what was necessary. I've bookmarked the page for future research into these composers, and really look forward to it.

And add me to those saying voting threads should be stickied. Maybe they could be put up for just a week or 10 days or something, but stickied. If they were stickied, you wouldn't need as much time, you know?

And it makes me laugh that my top two in both soundtracks AND games were the same as GAFs. Crippling lack of original thought up in my brain, obviously.

Zhao_Yun

Because platform limitations mean it'll never beat a full sweeping orchestral score.

Think of it like kazoo music. You could lovingly create the best damn kazoo music the world has ever seen. But it'll still be shit compared to an orchestra.

A score being orchestral doesn't necessarily make it a better score and I say that as a fan of orchestral music.

Somewhere, Keiji Yamagishi is mad and doesn't know why.

Wazzy

Banned
Nice list and awesome work Schala! I'm disappointed at JSRF's ranking, though. :( Aisel 10 being a song listed is torture to my ears when the other tracks are 100x better.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

That is such a whole load of bollocks. Songwriting is what matters. A good kazoo song > a boring orchestral piece, any time. And Golden Sun and Circle of the Moon have better music than Halo or Morrowind. 8)

demidar

That is such a whole load of bollocks. Songwriting is what matters. A good kazoo song > a boring orchestral piece, any time. And Golden Sun and Circle of the Moon have better music than Halo or Morrowind. 8)

I dunno. The Halo theme is pretty good.

But it would be even better in kazoo form.

People slamming the power of the Kazoo obviously never played Banjo-Kazooie or Rayman Legends, the last of which has orchestration and kazoos together, tremble in its contrary wake.

thanks, everyone. Two gaf lurkers, Bean and Flyguy, deserve as much thanks as i do since they ended up putting parts of the archive together (and bean did the honourable mention count since i got busy last week). And of course, GhaleonQ being there to answer a bunch of administrative questions regarding rules and regulations of the thread. And good looking out to Jucksalbe for advertising the thread whenever possible..

My thanks to the silent lurkers, ever vigilant and probably doing work that I should be.

MrBadger

It's not about what you have, it's about how you use it. Besides, Rayman Legends has a beautiful mariachi/kazoo render of eye of the tiger

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
No KOTOR is a travesty.

Bastila's theme man...
Perhaps this should be renamed to Japanese OST thread. Not terribly surprising considering the voter base.
Halo: Combat Evolved: 83
Halo 2: 41
Sid Meier's Civilization 4: 37
God of War II: 35
Beyond Good & Evil: 28
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas: 28
Half-Life 2: 28
Deus Ex: 26
Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind: 23
World of Warcraft: 18
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City : 17
EVE Online: 15
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3: 15
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory: 14
Sim City 4: 13
Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura: 10
Donkey Kong Country 3 GBA: 9
God of War: 9
Myst IV: 9
Myst III: 8
Ratchet & Clank : 8
The Sims 2: 8
Advent Rising: 7
Age of Empires III: 7
Diablo II: 7
Guild Wars: 7
Age of Empires II: The Conquerers: 6
Crash Twinsanity: 6
Deus Ex: Invisible War: 6
Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem: 6
Project Gotham Racing: 5
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic: 5
Jak & Daxter: The Precursor Legacy: 4
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver (DC) 4
Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal: 4
Stronghold : 4
Timesplitters 2: 4
Unreal Tournament: 4
Amplitude: 3
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth: 3
Crazy Taxi: 3
Alone in the Dark 4: The New Nightmare: 2
Headhunter: 2
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2: 2
Sly 2: 2
Darwinia: 1
Max Payne: 1
Medieval: Total War: 1
Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando: 1

Western soundtracks were the ones that begged for votes, but I feel like in some ways, the votes got split.

Kinda wish I'd remembered to add Halo 2's soundtrack to my honourable mentions. I can never play Halo because first-person 3D anything makes me nauseous, but I love that soundtrack.

glaring miss by GAF was no Castlevania ost in the top 20.
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow: 21
Castlevania: Circle of the Moon: 8
Castlevania: Curse of Darkness: 33
Castlevania: Lament of Innocence: 4

Also, a Guilty Gear needs to be in the top 20.
Guilty Gear Isuka: 8
Guilty Gear XX: 44

XX was sooooooooooooo close.

more people need to play beyond & good & evil.
Beyond Good & Evil: 28

Well made thread, but omission of Jet Set Radio for generic RPG soundtracks is just...
Jet Set Radio: 35
Jet Set Radio Future: 32

What are you doing GAF? No Shenmue in the top 10 is an absolute crime.
Shenmue: 19

Ace Combat 5: 24
Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War: 4

You know, the first Disgaea had a pretty great soundtrack, too.
I hope to add that on Wednesday night.

I think that's kinda subjective. I mean, while I studied conservatory vocal and guitar music recreationally and have gone to see the orchestra and ballet numerous times and really enjoy that stuff and most video game orchestrated arrangement albums, I can hang back and really jam around with PC-88 or X68000/FM tunes because it reminds me a lot of 80s/90s dance music (which I loooove along with a ton of other genres in that era). With more musicians using chiptunes more often than they had experimented, I don't feel bad about saying I like it because integration of one style of music with another is really cool. I just like considering myself a fan of music, and I'm just more open to listening to anything. Except that one Taylor Swift song. That song makes me die internally.

However, genre alignment and musical taste dramatically differs from person to person, so I don't really get bent out of shape if someone says they love some genre I dislike a lot. It's just like your feelings on orchestrated music as opposed to general MIDI/chiptune-style music. Heck there are a lot of lauded soundtracks that people really like, but I generally dislike the MIDI or the samples used so I don't rate it as highly as a lot of people would. But when those pieces on those types of albums are arranged differently, I feel better about them. So I get where you're coming from, and I think your vote was one of the most interesting ballots of the thread because of that.

I just don't dismiss those who like those MIDI/sample/oddball rock arrangement/overused rock/orchestrated arrangement soundtracks, or even those soundtrack themselves (lordy, I used to, though. I really really used to), I don't like because it uses up energy that I could otherwise be using on something else.

If you click on Mother 3 "Natural Killer Cyborg" you go to Mother 3 "Strong One (Masked Man)"

link to "Natural Killer Cyborg" using that same channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4EATZ-tNPU
Thanks, I fixed that.

Top Bottom