• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF’s Official Game Soundtracks of the Year 2010 (Voting Ends January 6th)

1: Nier
The Ultimate Weapon
The Wretched Automatons
Song of the Ancients/Fate

2: Deadly Premonition
York and Zach
Greenvale
The Woods and The Goddess
I Dream Of You (Miss Stiletto Heels)

3: Sonic Colours
Aquatic Park Act 1
Final Boss - Phase 2
Planet Wisp Act 1

Honorable mentions: VVVVV, Pac-Man Championship Edition DX and Trauma Team

This has truly been a standout year for videogame music, and the biggest shock is that most of the year's incredible soundtracks have not been in the expected big budget AAA releases - but small budget titles that have sprung out of nowhere and surprised everyone. It was so difficult to try and put my top 3 in order as all of them deserve to share the crown this year.

Nier has a landmark soundtrack that deserves to be remembered as all time great, Sonic Colours has some of the best Sonic tracks since the Mega Drive/Genesis era and Deadly Premonition features an eclectic mix of strange and touching tracks which are equal parts catchy, terrible, ridiculous, atmospheric and wonderful.

V_Ben

Banned
1) Scott Pilgrim vs. The World - The Game

2) Sonic Colours

3) Sam and Max: The Devil's Playhouse

Honourable Mention - Joe Danger

Man, some great music this year.

1. Nier
2. Super Mario Galaxy 2
3. Monster Hunter tri

Honorable mention: Resonance of Fate

I think the MH tri soundtrack is the best at creating the perfect adventurous spirit for the game it's trying to complement, but the other two OSTs are (while also a great, great fit for their respective game) more enjoyable to listen to even without playing the game.

GhaleonQ

SatelliteOfLove said:
Wasn't too good of a year soundtrack-wise. There were some good ones (Nier, DQIX, a few others), but only two truly stood out.

Again, I'm not pressuring anyone, but did you get a chance to "find"/play any of the shortlists'?

Haunted said:
Bit Trip Runner's soundtrack was indeed great. Going along with the music perfectly, with your inputs. Definitely reminiscent of Rez.
It really is their strongest work, both game-wise and soundtrack-wise. In a series filled with great music, for RUNNER to stand out it had to be special, and it certainly was!

1.Shatter Soundtrack
Krypton Garden- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL1pJsJsfts&feature=related
Argon Refinery- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoYHaZKhLnU&feature=related
2.VVVVVV Soundtrack
Popular Potpourri- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyY7lhwgFxo&feature=related
Potential for anything- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6tpnFbBeZY&feature=related
3.Sonic Colors
Planet Wisp Act 1- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eODArFqHbf0
Aquarium Park Act 1- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEGro4NpgCg&feature=related

Honorable Mentions
Super Mario Galaxy 2
SSFIV Soundtrack
BIT.TRIP BEAT

This year was not long enough to play all of my favorite games let alone listen to all their soundtracks in their entirety, but these stand out to me the most. I never expected Steam to deliver two games(Shatter and VVVVVV) with such amazing music right at the end of the year, but it's a welcome surprise. Sonic Colors came completely out of nowhere for me. This is bar none the best Sonic music since the original 2D titles and I hope that Sega takes the style and dedication that went into the soundtrack for Sonic colors to heart.

The honorable mentions were definite standouts for this year with the exception of Mario Galaxy. I expect nothing, but the best for Nintendo titles and I got it. Street fighter really handled the transitions for several themes(Ibuki and Makoto notably) very well. BIT.TRIP BEAT was also a fantastic surprise in a tiny package.

Songbird

Prodigal Son

RZI

1. Pac-Man Championship Edition DX
2. Bayonetta
3. Yakuza 3

Honourable mention: Final Fantasy 13

Thoughts:

Pac-Man is so fucking good, and I don't even own the game yet!
Bayonetta kinda cheats, because while it has great original music it also has the Space Harrier theme in it.
Yakuza 3 OST is badass.

Nert

RZI said:
1. Pac-Man Championship Edition DX

Thoughts:

Pac-Man is so fucking good, and I don't even own the game yet!

I like the way you think :D

Two days left; remember, everyone is welcome to change their votes before the voting period expires.

1. Red Dead Redemption: (It was so good, I even bought the 2 LP Red Vinyl Set)

Far Away: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IkvAb6THQY
Triggernometry : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn1ko8nqsLI
El Club de los Cuerpos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqZKJLJeK-c

2. Mass Effect 2: (Almost tied with RDR. Wish I could buy a physical copy of this soundtrack)
Club Afterlife: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efIe8CYBVTs
Club Eternity: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcvtMB10IIU

3. Kirby's Epic Yarn
Flower Fields: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8FGl65W6eY

Diamond

1. Nier

Kaine Salvation
Shadowlord's Castle
This Dream

2. Alan Wake

Welcome to Bright Falls
The Poet and the Muse
Space Oddity

3. Red Dead Redemption

Far Away
Deadman's Gun
Exodus in America

I didn't expect my top 3 to be composed of such "easy" choices, but these are really three rock solid soundtracks.
Nier OST is unforgettable. I can simply launch the complete soundtrack knowing there's not a single track I don't like, which is completely mindblowing (there's something like 40 tracks in there !).
Alan Wake is a little bit different because it has licenced music too, but the tracks have been very carefully chosen by Remedy and the result is amazing. Some of the greatest songs ever written for a video game (The Poet and the Muse) along with some of the greatest songs ever written (Space Oddity), and the result is incredibly homogeneous.
Red Dead Redemption has incredible music too, and this music is very well integrated in the gameplay itself. Far Away is one of the best video game moments ever and the music dynamically changes depending on what you are doing.

Honorable mentions

Bayonetta
Mysterious Destiny

Deadly Premonition
The Woods and the Goddess

Fragile Dreams : Farewell Ruins of the Moon
A Dedication to Everyone

Ilomilo
March of the Ilomilos

Limbo
Up and Down

Mass Effect 2
Kasumi 4 (don't know the title)

Scott Pilgrim vs the World
Another Winter

Silent Hill Shattered Memories
Acceptance

Super Meat Boy
The Cotton Alley

The Infinite Ocean
Lord have Mercy

VVVVVV
Passion for Exploring

I should stop here I think. So yeah, weak year for games soundtracks. :lol

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Gotta make this quick...

1. Final Fantasy XIII - I'm not just putting this here because it's the latest FF, jRPG or whatever. I legitimately think its one of the best OSTs in the series and one of the most bold soundtracks in any medium.

2. Scott Pilgrim The Game - Anamanaguchi managed to fuse 8-bit nostalgia with lovelorn angst.

3. Sin and Punishment 2 - If only for the menu music!

Foxix Von

1. Nier
2. Bayonetta
3. Sonic Colors

Nier winning by a massive landslide. Between the other two it's really, really close though.

1. Nier

2. Monster Hunter: Tri

3. Resonance of Fate

EDIT:

hosannainexcelsis said:
1. Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru - Having just played Episode 7, I was reminded again of what a perfect soundtrack this is: both interesting to listen to on its own and a very effective compliment to the story. The crew of doujin artists working on Umineko's music is one of the best around. Here are some of my favorites from Episode 7 that showcase its wide emotional range:

reflection-call
The Executioner
Song Without a Name ver. sakura ED size
Holy crap, what is this and how can I play it?

1. Nier
2. Final Fantasy XIII
3. Red Dead Redemption

Nier -- Nothing else needs to be said here. It's absolutely phenomenal in every. single. way. It succeeds in that even the weakest track is better than any other piece of music released this year. It's one of the best videogame soundtracks of all time, if not the absolute best.

FFXIII -- Hamauzu succeeds in bringing a different flavor of soundtrack work to the series, with sprinkles of jazz and haunting violins here and there. It is beautiful, as gorgeous as its visuals.

RDR -- Feels just like a spaghetti western. Nothing else needs to be said.

1. Heavy Rain
2. Bayonnetta
3. 999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors

My favorite were not from 2010 - I discovered them very recently : Shatter & Rythm Tengoku Gold.

Fantastic job on the archive ! I'll definitely come back to listen to some of those recommendations.

rObit

Banned
1. Halo: Reach

2. VVVVVV

3. Mass Effect 2

Reach - Huge fan of Marty O'Donnell. Every soundtrack he's been a part of that I've listened to has been a masterpiece. Not to diminish the talents of C.Paul, Jay and co., all involved did a tremendous job on the audio work in Reach.

VVVVVV - Not a whole lot to be said here. It's addicting as all hell and makes me want to play the game every time I think of the music.

Mass Effect 2- One of those games where the music is so perfectly in sync with the content of the game that when you think of the game the music also comes to mind. It's a part of the atmosphere, and really escalates that game emotionally.

*edit* rejiggered so picks are isolated.

Tigel

1. Nier
2. Final Fantasy XIII
3. World of Warcraft: Cataclysm

For Nier and FFXIII, ZephyrFate could not have expressed my feelings better. I have to reiterate though, Nier is not only my soundtrack of the year, but also my soundtrack of the decade. Seriously, nothing comes even close.

I've listened to most of the Nier soundtrack and have played the game now and I still can't figure out what's so exceptional about it. I mean it's not bad or anything but I just keep hearing lame Japanese vocal tracks for the most part. But if it works that level of wonder for you guys, that's awesome, but it's personally not my cup of tea.

Yoshiya

Nier looking to win the thread by a significant margin based on all the #1 votes. Happy to see a good number of players enjoyed it as much as I did. I absolutely loved the soundtrack, and while it has been months since I finished with the game a week hasn't passed when I didn't listening to something from the soundtrack. Truly an exceptional work which stands head and shoulders above other contenders. My favourite soundtrack next to FFVI and Chrono Trigger.

1. Mass Effect 2
2. Epic Mickey
3. Sonic Colors

Lovely work in all three. Amazingly, Epic Mickey essentially has three different soundtracks... good, neutral, and devious... which dynamically change based on how you're playing.

GhaleonQ

brandonh83 said:
I've listened to most of the Nier soundtrack and have played the game now and I still can't figure out what's so exceptional about it. I mean it's not bad or anything but I just keep hearing lame Japanese vocal tracks for the most part. But if it works that level of wonder for you guys, that's awesome, but it's personally not my cup of tea.

There's no doubt that quite a few people are just duped by serene choral pieces (this doesn't just apply to Nier), but the arrangements, while not innovative, don't follow predictable progressions. You can see my ranking, but I do think it's meritorious. The composers also didn't crowd the pieces with too many elements.

vagabondarts said:
Lovely work in all three. Amazingly, Epic Mickey essentially has three different soundtracks... good, neutral, and devious... which dynamically change based on how you're playing.

I haven't checked if the soundtrack captured them all. I listened to the gamerip. I enjoy those sorts of soundtracks.

GhaleonQ said:
There's no doubt that quite a few people are just duped by serene choral pieces (this doesn't just apply to Nier), but the arrangements, while not innovative, don't follow predictable progressions. You can see my ranking, but I do think it's meritorious. The composers also didn't crowd the pieces with too many elements.

Absolutely I think the overall quality of the Nier soundtrack is really good. For me personally, I look for themes and how memorable something is, in addition to recording quality. It could be that, since I haven't played a lot of the game, that I don't have any substance to attach the music to and that can drastically shape the opinion of a score.

As I said though, I'm playing through the game right now so I hope to end up liking the score as much as some of you guys. As it stands, I'm not sold on that level yet but anything can happen.

GhaleonQ

brandonh83 said:
Absolutely I think the overall quality of the Nier soundtrack is really good. For me personally, I look for themes and how memorable something is, in addition to recording quality. It could be that, since I haven't played a lot of the game, that I don't have any substance to attach the music to and that can drastically shape the opinion of a score.

As I said though, I'm playing through the game right now so I hope to end up liking the score as much as some of you guys. As it stands, I'm not sold on that level yet but anything can happen.

Right. For the record, I didn't play it.

As you note, though, it's not like developing ideas and having addictive hooks are exclusive. Cladun, in my opinion, does both. I'll be interested to see if your opinion changes with gameplay. Mine usually doesn't after gameplay.

GhaleonQ said:
As you note, though, it's not like developing ideas and having addictive hooks are exclusive. Cladun, in my opinion, does both. I'll be interested to see if your opinion changes with gameplay. Mine usually doesn't after gameplay.

A recent experience for me was the score to Black Swan. I listened to it before seeing the film, and wasn't mind-blown. After seeing the film, and being able to compare the story and characters and sequences that goes along with the music, well now it's one of my favorite scores of the year.

I'm not saying that a product can make a so-so soundtrack into an amazing one, but sometimes when you find the context that the music is written for, it can certainly cause one to appreciate it more.

I'm sure that most of the people who think so highly of the Nier soundtrack have played the game, for example. Same thing happens with the Castlevania: Lords of Shadow score. I ranked it as the best of the year, but I can pretty much guarantee that if I hadn't have played the game, I would have found the actual album that released kind of boring.

However, like many game/film scores, a large chunk is unfortunately missing from the retail products and sometimes it does take some examination to truly learn how great a composer's work is. There are moments in Castlevania that seriously make me grin like an idiot when the musical cues came in at just the right moments, leaving a heavy impression on me.

brandonh83 said:
I've listened to most of the Nier soundtrack and have played the game now and I still can't figure out what's so exceptional about it. I mean it's not bad or anything but I just keep hearing lame Japanese vocal tracks for the most part.

It's not Japanese...

"The vocals were provided by Freesscape vocalist, Emi Evans. The vocals are sung in a number of artificial languages created by Evans to sound like futuristic versions of Gaelic, Portuguese, Spanish, Italian, French, English and Japanese."

"Emi Evans is a Tokyo based freelance singer, songwriter and composer from Nottingham, England."

Dambrosi

Banned
Since there still seems to be time to vote:

1) NieR (just so different to everything else released this year, or last year, or the one before, or...and it still manages to be bloody good!)
2) Ketsui (whichever version you want, it's a 2010 game to me dammit!)
3) Kirby's Epic Yarn (reminds me of Yoko Kanno's Napple Tale soundtrack, and that's a good thing)

Honourable mentions go to Final Fantasy XIII (whatever you think of the game - and I thought it was beautifully-presented dog excrement - the music was lush throughout), BlazBlue: Continuum Shift (fuck all y'all, Daisuke Ishiwatari still rocks!) and Pac-Man Championship Edition DX (for that one track - you know the one). Everything else this year has either been forgettable, tried to sound like Hollywood film scores too much (hello, Mass Effect 2), or I simply haven't heard enough of to make a judgement on, so sorry if I left out any particularly notable OSTs that any of you lot liked.

Nert

I want to give a big thank you to everyone that participated. We'll have more information on an upcoming results and discussion thread shortly.

Yoshiya

Nert said:
I want to give a big thank you to everyone that participated. We'll have more information on an upcoming results and discussion thread shortly.
Still on the way or did I miss it? Interested to see the list; Meat Boy vs VVVVVV is looking surprisingly close, or at least was.

Top Bottom