• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Umineko no Naku Koro ni |OT| of Witches Trolling, Super Paper, and Small Bombs

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
NoZ3V.jpg

Many thanks to Kagari for the banner!

Developer: 07th Expansion
Publisher: 07th Expansion (PC), Taito (mobile phone), Alchemist (PS3)
Platforms: PC, Cell Phone, Playstation 3
Genre: Doujin soft, Sound Novel, Horror, Mystery, Fantasy
Rating: CERO D

Release History:
Legend - August 17, 2007
Turn - December 31, 2007
Banquet - August 16, 2008
Alliance - December 29, 2008
End - August 15, 2009
Dawn - December 30, 2009
Requiem - August 14, 2010
(PS3) Majo to Suiri no Rondo (1-4) - December 16, 2010
Twilight - December 31, 2010
Tsubasa - December 31, 2010

c7oTF.gif

3ZXZx.jpg
Welcome to the Rokkenjima of October 4, 1986.

You have been given a chance to catch a glimpse of the family conference held annually by the
Ushiromiya family.

The remaining life in the old family head who has built up a vast fortune is very slim.

To his children, the greatest point of contention at this family conference is the distribution of his
inheritance.

Everyone desires all that money, no one relents, and no one believes.

Who will gain the old head's vast inheritance?

Where is the 10 tons of gold that the old head is said to have hidden?

Can the unnerving riddle of the epitaph which is said to point to the location of that gold be solved?

In the midst of this, a suspicious letter is sent from one claiming to be a witch.

The presence of a 19th person on this island, which should only have 18, begins to hang in the air.

Brutal murders repeat, and unsolvable riddles are left at the scene.

How many will die? How many will live? Or will everyone die?

Is the culprit one of the 18, or not?

Is the culprit a "human", or a "witch"?

Please, enjoy this isolated island, western mansion, mystery-suspense gadget of the good old days to
the fullest.​

N6Xmo.gif

jMPIg.png

The Golden Witch Beatrice - Beatrice is the Golden and Endless Witch, and the primary antagonist. A witch who has lived for over a thousand years, she is said to appear as a cloud of golden butterflies, and has the power to summon higher demons among the 72 pillars to serve her. It is said that humans can summon her to have their wishes granted in exchange for compensation, though she often acts whimsically. She is the one rumored to have given Kinzo ten tons of gold and served under him as the alchemic advisor to the Ushiromiya family.​

The Ushiromiya Family:

8hYck.png

Kinzo Ushiromiya - Kinzo is the elderly head of the Ushiromiya family and the owner of Rokkenjima. He rarely leave his large study, which contains various commodities such as a bed and bathroom. He was also a rabid practitioner of black magic and the occult, his shelves lined with volumes of grimoires. One of his most prominent obsessions was Beatrice, a witch he is said to have summoned and contracted for ten tons worth of gold.

cOoRo.png

Krauss Ushiromiya - Krauss is Kinzo's first child. He is the next in line to inherit the family headship, and takes the initiative to lead the family conferences. Due to his arrogant nature, he has made himself something of an enemy to the siblings, who see him as trying to monopolize Kinzo's fortune, and unanimously attempt to upstage him, though with little success. His daughter, Jessica, also has little respect for him, particularly due to the pressure he places on her to become (or at least marry) a suitable successor to the Ushiromiya family after him. He is a real estate investor, and is supplying his funds to a resort. However, he has been unable to carry out his plans, and thus his investments end in failure.

Natsuhi Ushiromiya - Krauss' wife. Born into a family of Shinto priests, Natsuhi discarded her old life when she married into the Ushiromiya family. She is a very proud woman who holds her new family's name in high regard, and is in charge of managing the family head house and family conferences. Unfortunately for her, all of her efforts are often undervalued by her husband, and she is often afflicted by headaches. She holds a bitter rivalry with Eva, who mocks her for not being related to the Ushiromiya family by blood.

Jessica Ushiromiya - Jessica is Krauss and Natsuhi's 18-year-old daughter. She is an energetic young woman, serving as the student body president at her school. If her father inherits the family fortune, she will become the heiress to the Ushiromiya family, although the family's patriarchal hierarchy denotes her future husband would become the next head. Jessica is tomboyish, feisty, and rebellious, much to the dismay of her mother, who insists she act more refined and ladylike. She dislikes her parents at times for the pressures they place on her regarding the family inheritance, which she has no interest in. However, she still shows concern for them deep down. She was born with weak bronchi, and occasionally suffers from asthma attacks.

hvPdd.png

Eva Ushiromiya - Eva is Kinzo's second child. Under normal circumstances, she would have lost her place in the Ushiromiya family when she married, though she managed to retain her name on the family register when she had her husband Hideyoshi adopted into the family and gave birth to Kinzo's first grandchild, George. Eva is cheerful and mischievous, but also sinister and greedy. She is hostile towards her older brother Krauss, and rallies the other siblings against him in their fight for the family inheritance. She also looks down on Krauss' wife Natsuhi for not being related to the Ushiromiya family by blood. Since she believes George to be the rightful head of the Ushiromiya family, she is cruel towards the servant Shannon, as she suspects her of being his lover. Despite her insidious personality, however, she treasures her husband and son more than anything, but fears that she is too domineering towards them. She is skilled in various martial arts, and is said to be excellent at cooking.

Hideyoshi Ushiromiya - Hideyoshi is Eva's husband. He is the successful president of a chain of fast food restaurants. He is a very jovial man and manages to tone down the tension between the siblings during their various meetings. He seeks Kinzo's fortune due to people trying to buy all his shares in his company. He speaks with a fake Kansai accent, which he is said to be too embarrassed to use against actual people from the Kansai region of Japan.

George Ushiromiya - George is Eva and Hideyoshi's 23-year-old son. He is the oldest of Kinzo's grandchildren, and an exceptional and diligent young adult. He was brought up by Eva specifically with the family headship in mind, and is also a skilled martial artist like his mother. He worked at his father's company as an apprentice throughout college, and respects his parents greatly, though he admittedly finds his mother overbearing. George is admired by everyone in his family, especially his cousins, who view him as their older brother and peacemaker. In his youth, however, he had been jealous of their more independent and impulsive lifestyles, particularly Battler, as unlike him, his mother made him do various things in his youth in order to shape him into the next head. As a result, he put up a more condescending mask towards his cousins, but has since outgrown this inferiority complex to a certain degree.

9uKxB.png

Rudolf Ushiromiya - Rudolf is Kinzo's third child. He was known as a philanderer in his youth and had impregnated his business partner and old girlfriend Kyrie before he married his first wife Asumu. After Asumu's death, he immediately remarried with Kyrie, leading to a falling out with his son Battler (Asumu's child), who ran away from home to his maternal grandparents for six years. Rudolf is still known to chat up young women from time to time, though this does not seem to disturb Kyrie. He seeks Kinzo's fortune to settle a court case in America. He is an avid lover of Western films and an impressive marksman.

Kyrie Ushiromiya - Kyrie is Rudolf's second wife. She is also one of Rudolf's business partners, always assisting him in shady dealings and keeping him in line when he gets out of hand. Kyrie and Battler have bonded more as close friends with a sibling-like relationship rather than mother and son. She has a "flip the chessboard" mentality to work out mental problems, and influences Battler in this regard. She had dated Rudolf long before his first wife Asumu, who she envied for marrying Rudolf while she was still going out with him. Asumu and Kyrie became pregnant at the same time, though Kyrie's son was said to have been a stillborn, while Asumu gave birth to her son Battler.

Battler Ushiromiya - Battler is Rudolf's 18-year-old son, and the main protagonist of the series. Although stubborn and hotheaded, he is a very compassionate young man. He tends to flirt with young women and has a perpetual fear of "shaky" transportation, thinking he may fall out of a plane or boat depending on the turbulence. Due to his father's remarriage, Battler rebelled and went to live with his maternal grandparents for the next six years, cutting all ties to the Ushiromiya family. After his grandparents' deaths, he returned to his family, though he had not fully reconciled with his father. He is greatly influenced by Kyrie's "flip the chessboard" mindset, which allows him to predict his enemies' thoughts based on the situation at hand. He has a habit of saying "It's useless, it's all useless" when in a difficult situation.

hsms9.png

Rosa Ushiromiya - Rosa is Kinzo's fourth child. As the youngest of her siblings, she has the least influence at the family conference. Her husband abandoned her shortly before the birth of her daughter and only child, Maria. Rosa is the president of a small design company, "Anti-Rosa", which has begun to flounder, and thus seeks out Kinzo's inheritance to pay off her co-endorsers. On the surface, Rosa appears to be the most sensible and soothing of all the siblings. However, as a result of being downtrodden by her older siblings in her childhood and forced to endure the pressures of a single mother, she frequently loses control of her emotions and responds violently to her daughter's childish behavior and overenthusiastic approach to the occult. While she loves and cares for Maria deeply, she also resents Maria, believing that her daughter is the reason why her relationships with men fail.

Maria Ushiromiya - Maria is Rosa's nine-year-old daughter. She has a long-standing habit of uttering "uu" whenever excited or upset. She is very honest and naïve, as shown by her tendency to easily believe lies and take jokes very seriously. While she loves her mother, Maria subconsciously resents that Rosa's long and frequent absences have made her lonely and wishes Rosa would spend more time with her. Having no interest in friends or studies, Maria has an extensive knowledge of the occult. There have been instances, usually when Beatrice or the occult is involved, where she acts very creepy, often denoted by her distinct laugh, "kihihihihi", which unnerves anyone who hears it. She believes avidly in Beatrice's existence, and gets mad at anyone who questions it; she even claims to have met and played with Beatrice on multiple occasions. Her interest in the occult and black magic is shared with Kinzo.​

The Furniture:

QBnrT.png

Genji Ronoue - Genji is the head butler of Kinzo's mansion. He is said by Beatrice to be the first furniture Kinzo ever created, and is the person Kinzo trusts the most.

Chiyo Kumasawa - Kumasawa is a part-time worker who assists with domestic chores in Kinzo's mansion. She often shirks her responsibilities and likes to tell stories and jokes, especially outrageous ones involving mackerel.

Kanon - Kanon is a young servant of Kinzo's mansion. He is a serious and fervent servant, carrying out his master's orders thoroughly. He is a bit frail and antisocial. He considers Shannon as an older sister and highly disapproves of her feelings for George, as he believes she should not feel love as she is only furniture. He has feelings for Jessica, which he tries to hide from even himself, because he thinks of himself as "furniture", rather than a human being. Despite seeing himself to be in despair, he actually has surprisingly good relations with others on the island.

Shannon - Shannon is a young maid of Kinzo's mansion. She has a habit of making mistakes and blunders when she is nervous, despite being an extremely talented and hardworking servant. She thinks of Kanon as her younger brother, and like him, she feels she is inferior to humans, as she is only furniture. Despite this, she falls in love with George.

Toshiro Gohda - Gohda is the head cook of Kinzo's mansion. Unlike the other servants in the mansion, he had been hired by Krauss and Natsuhi. Due to this, his rank is very low. He is extremely proud of his culinary skills. He was previously employed at a hotel, and due to his experience, he is ostentatious and looks down upon Shannon and Kanon. However, while this seems apparent at first glance, he is actually quite concerned for them, and is very reliable when it counts.​

The Guests:
YZ5Cq.png

Terumasa Nanjo - Nanjo is Kinzo's personal physician and close friend. He is also Kinzo's opponent in chess. He is one of the few people Kinzo, who has grown fanatical in his suspicions, opens his heart to. He has a bighearted disposition, and has come to the island for a long time, never getting upset by Kinzo's hot temper. He owned a clinic on Niijima, the island closest to Rokkenjima, but he resigned in favor of his son Masayuki.​

sC3VU.gif

haHxu.jpg
-1080p Resolution
-Full Voice Acting
-New Character Sprites
-Animated Event CGs
-Contains Original PC Soundtrack
-Brand new OP song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snlsBiaPzLk

TGS PV: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOTbjhfWfRs

qBuRp.gif

rKUKC.jpg
pbrAB.jpg

F9lOQ.jpg
LUQt3.jpg

Episode 1 Legend of the Golden Witch (Complete Game) Demo:
07th Expansion Official Demo Download Page (Use the links designated for foreign use if outside of Japan.)

Those without knowledge of Japanese can get the English translation patch for the demo here: Download

Witch Hunt Translation's Current Progress:
Umineko no Naku Koro ni EP 1-4 100% Complete: Download Patch/ Purchase DD version here.
Umineko no Naku Koro Ni Chiru EP5-6 100% Complete: Download Patch for EP 5-6 here.

Episode 7: Requiem of the Golden Witch Translation Status

Translation: COMPLETE
Download: http://m.witch-hunt.com/get/20/[WH]_Umineko_EP7_English_v3.3.exe

PBoKL.gif

073Sx.jpg
OgbUx.jpg
neeXN.jpg
1iVG9.jpg

(PC) Umineko no Naku Koro ni EP 1-4:
http://www.himeyashop.com/product_info.php/products_id/11978
http://www.paletweb.com/selectpage.asp?code=80000409
http://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/shop/en/item_s-11784.html

(PC) Umineko no Naku Koro Ni Chiru EP 5-8:
http://www.amiami.jp/shop/?set=engl...-0261&template=default/product/e_display.html

(PC) Umineko no Naku koro ni Tsubasa:
http://www.amiami.jp/shop/?set=engl...-0262&template=default/product/e_display.html

(PS3) Umineko no Naku Koro ni Majo to Suiri no Rondo:
http://www.play-asia.com/Umineko_no...o_Rinbukyoku/paOS-13-71-bp-49-en-70-3zz5.html
http://www.amiami.jp/shop/?set=engl...-0683&template=default/product/e_display.html
http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B0042VIZKU/

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I'm an Umineko virgin, but I can't wait for the PS3 version!

Nice op and gorgeous banner. :D

Bebpo

Banned
This is kind of funny because normally this would get locked for being a week too early, but technically the PC games are out so it just may slide :lol

Still, nice OT. I'm on the fence about diving in with the PS3 version. I'm very interested in the story, but I hate reading Japanese visual novels (especially in Japanese). They put me to sleep :X

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Bebpo said:
This is kind of funny because normally this would get locked for being a week too early, but technically the PC games are out so it just may slide :lol

Still, nice OT. I'm on the fence about diving in with the PS3 version. I'm very interested in the story, but I hate reading Japanese visual novels (especially in Japanese). They put me to sleep :X

It's apparently fully voiced, which makes a huge difference for me. I'm slow as shit when it comes to reading mountains of text. :p

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Bebpo said:

I was originally going to just make this about the PC version, but with the PS3 version coming out soon I used artwork and included a PS3 section. :lol

Well the beginning is a bit slow but once the first twilight passes things get awesome. I'd recommend trying the PC demo I have linked under the PC Fan Translation section to get all of EP1 and see if it's your cup of tea.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
InfiniteNine said:
I was originally going to just make this about the PC version, but with the PS3 version coming out soon I used artwork and included a PS3 section. :lol

Well the beginning is a bit slow but once the first twilight passes things get awesome. I'd recommend trying the PC demo I have linked under the PC Fan Translation section to get all of EP1 and see if it's your cup of tea.

I was gonna wait and go in fresh but, what the heck. Demo get.

Bebpo

Banned
luka said:
It's apparently fully voiced, which makes a huge difference for me. I'm slow as shit when it comes to reading mountains of text. :p

That doesn't really help me though. I just find the amount of text (even with voice) I have to sit through before anything happens is zzzzzzzz :(

I love the art/music/stories of a lot of these games, but despite all the visual novels I've played since the PS2 days, I've never finished any of them unless you count finishing a single episode of Higurashi ^^; The length is a big part of it. If these visual novels were like 2-4 hour reads, I'd get through them. But they can easily be 30-100 hours long of just reading text boxes. I can't sit through that.

I'd love to actually finish a KEY game like Kanon, but I just can't do it. It feels like reading an entire novel to get a 2 hour movie worth of plot.

I also hate stuff like Phoenix Wright for being too wordy, yet about nothing. I like reading! I just want what I read to get to the point and Japanese writing tends to be huge amounts of text about nothing :p

Dresden

Bebpo said:
That doesn't really help me though. I just find the amount of text (even with voice) I have to sit through before anything happens is zzzzzzzz :(

I love the art/music/stories of a lot of these games, but despite all the visual novels I've played since the PS2 days, I've never finished any of them unless you count finishing a single episode of Higurashi ^^; The length is a big part of it. If these visual novels were like 2-4 hour reads, I'd get through them. But they can easily be 30-100 hours long of just reading text boxes. I can't sit through that.

I'd love to actually finish a KEY game like Kanon, but I just can't do it. It feels like reading an entire novel to get a 2 hour movie worth of plot.

I also hate stuff like Phoenix Wright for being too wordy, yet about nothing. I like reading! I just want what I read to get to the point and Japanese writing tends to be huge amounts of text about nothing :p
Are you looking for something short? Try Saya no Uta.

It's fairly, uh, gross. But a good, short read. A few hours at most.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Each EP is about an 8 hour read, so it's about double of what you specified. Since this is a mystery some things that seem insignificant might really be important clues to figuring out what is going on Rokkenjima. Plus the atmosphere the text and music provide is really engaging, but I'll leave that for you to determine yourself. I look forward to these every six months, and the PS3 version is getting the entire Question arc. (EP 1-4) Each EP is pretty well contained within itself so you can stop in between them and pick it up later.

Bebpo

Banned
InfiniteNine said:
Each EP is about an 8 hour read, so it's about double of what you specified. Since this is a mystery some things that seem insignificant might really be important clues to figuring out what is going on Rokkenjima. Plus the atmosphere the text and music provide is really engaging, but I'll leave that for you to determine yourself. I look forward to these every six months, and the PS3 version is getting the entire Question arc. (EP 1-4) Each EP is pretty well contained within itself so you can stop in between them and pick it up later.

Yeah, that's how I got through Higurashi. I read ep6 and it took me about a week and a half of casual playing. Individually the size of the eps are just right for me. It's just the fact that there's 4 of them (and then 4 later) makes it seem like a huge investment of time.

Although it's definitely less daunting than Higurashi PS2 which was like 7 full eps off the bat. 4 does sound more manageable. Maybe I'll give it a shot. I really do want to see what a visual novel in HD looks like. All my visual novels are for PS1/PS2 or PSP :p

Varion

Long-standing Umineko fan reporting for duty!

Shame I won't be playing the PS3 version for a while though. Probably pick it up when I'm in Japan until mid-January, but then won't be able to play it until I get back.. and even then it'll be after Ep8.

Not sure what to say to you Bebpo, I'd love to recommend them but Umineko's writing style is more than a little bit excessively wordy, enough so that it makes me bored at times too. The highlights are awesome and plentiful, but there's definitely a lot of excess fluff that could really stand to be trimmed down. The full voicing and fancier art and effects should help keep your interest though, and the music is fantastic. Like InfiniteNine said Umineko episodes definitely aren't anywhere near 30-100 hours, so at least there's that (although I wish I could finish them in 8 hours each, with my reading speed it usually takes a few days per episode). If you think you could get through them then I'd say it's worth trying though, it's an awesome series, especially at its best.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Aigis said:
Is there anywhere with the EP 1-4 pack in stock? All the links in your post are OOS
Checked around and they're pretty much sold out at all the import shop! It wasn't like that when I was constructing the thread, but a lot of people probably jumped on after hearing EP8 was the final game. I imagine it'll be restocked sometime soon though so I'll let you know if it gets back in stock. There is also the option of buying the DD version from here but it's a really restrictive service so I wouldn't recommend it unless you backup the game yourself: http://secure.hobibox.net/umineko/catalog.php

Durante

Great op! Make that fantastic op, I love the "furniture" banner :lol
I was thinking about making a thread for the PC version a while back, but I wasn't even sure if it was appropriate for the gaming forum. Wouldn't something need to have at least some interactivity to qualify as a game?

Varion said:
Long-standing Umineko fan reporting for duty!
Hear, hear. Too bad it's almost a little late for speculation, it would have been nice to hear GAF's theories.

Nice to see the progress by Witch Hunt on episode 7, looking forward to it.The last time I checked translation was still reported at 30% or so.

VRMN

I need to import episode 8 (and get 5-7 with it), but I have 1-4 already and just need to actually get the time to play past the beginning of episode 2. Really great, immersive stuff, as expected of the author of Higurashi.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Durante said:
Great op! Make that fantastic op, I love the "furniture" banner :lol
I was thinking about making a thread for the PC version a while back, but I wasn't even sure if it was appropriate for the gaming forum. Wouldn't something need to have at least some interactivity to qualify as a game?
Well I like to think of the quest for the truth is interactivity, but if that doesn't fly EP8 actually has choices!

Huge fan of the original series, read them in Japanese already, I preordered the ps3 version a few days after its announcement, can't wait the release in 2 weeks.

EP8 and Tsubasa are also preordered on Amiami since the minute it was available, sacrificing my night in the process ^^

Maffis

I remember that anime. Dumbest shit I've ever watched.

Battler: "Magic doesn't exist!"
Beatrice: "It does too! *does magic trick infront of his eyes"
Battler: "Uhhh, that proves nothing."

Who the hell wrote that crap?

But game looks somewhat good for a fighter. Kinda odd they made it into a fighter though.

xero273

Maffis said:

But game looks somewhat good for a fighter. Kinda odd they made it into a fighter though.

Just to let you know. This is the visual novel and not the fighting game.

Another long-time VN fan coming in here!

Can't wait to read Ep. 7 - gonna get Ep. 8 on order and Witch-Hunt should be done with 7 by the time I get it :D

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Maffis said:

This is this visual novel not the fighting game or anime. The anime was a pretty terrible adaption of the visual novel and should be avoided. The portion of the story that the anime covers is best read from it's source material.

xero273

InfiniteNine said:
This is this visual novel not the fighting game or anime. The anime was a pretty terrible adaption of the visual novel and should be avoided. The portion of the story that the anime covers is best read from it's source material.

Isn't the whole story suppose to be based on Battler believing magic doesn't exist? If that is the case, he probably won't like the novel anyway.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
xero273 said:
Isn't the whole story suppose to be based on Battler believing magic doesn't exist? If that is the case, he probably won't like the novel anyway.
I suppose, but the logic battles are a lot more drawn out than "Magic exists!" "No it doesn't!". I dropped the anime pretty early on so that is very well how they could have handled the puzzles.

Risette

A Good Citizen
InfiniteNine said:
Checked around and they're pretty much sold out at all the import shop! It wasn't like that when I was constructing the thread, but a lot of people probably jumped on after hearing EP8 was the final game. I imagine it'll be restocked sometime soon though so I'll let you know if it gets back in stock. There is also the option of buying the DD version from here but it's a really restrictive service so I wouldn't recommend it unless you backup the game yourself: http://secure.hobibox.net/umineko/catalog.php
Ah okay, I'll keep checking here in this thread because I'd like to play them.

Won't buy DD unless it's Steam, so that's out of the question. :(

kurohana

Nice OP. I approve of this title name, especially the super paper. Now if only the unknown disease purupurupikupuyo could have made it.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Aigis said:
Ah okay, I'll keep checking here in this thread because I'd like to play them.

Won't buy DD unless it's Steam, so that's out of the question. :(
I'll make a post if there is new stock available anywhere then!

kurohana said:
Nice OP. I approve of this title name, especially the super paper. Now if only the unknown disease purupurupikupuyo could have made it.
Five people died delivering the disease so it was deemed too dangerous to be put out publicly like that to the masses. RIP the random postmen at local 210.
stupid character limit

Wizpig

Lol, there's an OT for this on GAF? awesome.
I'm playing the third game, Banquet of the Golden Witch.

Not a fan of the Ps3 version art style... ugh. it's pretty generic.
Don't get me started on George... why is he slim in the Ps3 version/anime?

Eva, Hideyoshi and Rudolf are pretty nice though.

Awesome OT, OP, i just think you should add some pics from the PC version too ;D

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
It'd be a good day when George is fatter in stuff aside from the original sound novel! The PS3 version doesn't have the same oomph as the original artwork, but it has voices and such, so I think that makes up for a bit. Banquet of the Golden Witch is pretty awesome so enjoy. ;)

I was planning on adding pictures of the PC version, but I honestly didn't know how to fit them in without them being awkwardly just there. :lol I can probably add a few screens of it in th fan translation section though.

Shirokun

Beautiful thread.

Thanks for the info from before, Infinitenine. I've gone ahead and pre-ordered the PS3 game. Hope I get my red Beatrice pen :D.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Happy to see the Umineko love, InfiniteNine and I were just talking about the amazing music of the PC version of the Sound Novels.

The anime is shite, it never existed. Long live the amazing sound novels.

InfiniteNine said:
It'd be a good day when George is fatter in stuff aside from the original sound novel! The PS3 version doesn't have the same oomph as the original artwork, but it has voices and such, so I think that makes up for a bit. Banquet of the Golden Witch is pretty awesome so enjoy. ;)

I was planning on adding pictures of the PC version, but I honestly didn't know how to fit them in without them being awkwardly just there. :lol I can probably add a few screens of it in th fan translation section though.

After playing through 5 of the sound novels, even if some of the designs is an improvement, I am so used to the design in the sound novels that anything else is just WRONG.

I wonder what seven stakes look like in the PS3 version :)

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Shirokun said:
Beautiful thread.

Thanks for the info from before, Infinitenine. I've gone ahead and pre-ordered the PS3 game. Hope I get my red Beatrice pen :D.
No problem and I hope you enjoy! :D

Hcoregamer00 said:
After playing through 5 of the sound novels, even if some of the designs is an improvement, I am so used to the design in the sound novels that anything else is just WRONG.

I wonder what seven stakes look like in the PS3 version :)
I can understand this. :lol The PS3 designs have grown on me a bit though while I was making the thread so it isn't all bad.

Didn't want to include things past EP1 in the OP but you can take a gander at the the Stakes:
wsew8.jpg

Bonus Siestas shot:
5mgz0.jpg

Shirokun

Could someone explain(without spoiling anything for the games) why the anime is considered garbage? Having not played the games, I thought the anime was pretty entertaining.

Wizpig

InfiniteNine said:

Oh i'm sure there will be people who say the PC art style is terrible compared to the Ps3 one, and trust me, before i started reading the game i could understand it because, well, Ryukishi07 is not that skilled of an artist.

But his artworks are the opposite of generic, they are recognizable and once you start getting in touch with the characters you start to love that style... but well, you know this better than me.
The characters in the Ps3 version are more realistic looking and that's fine, but why did they change George... was that to make fangirls happy? :lol

Oh well.
Here's the "real" George (right)

4961a36cf140df257e5a3b0b906ea632.jpg

and the "real" Rosa <3

97c4365b2cafbf73210329fbbef927af.jpg

ps. one thing i don't get is: why is the cover for the eight game (Twilight) in a more realistic style just like the Ps3 one -- or is it supposed to be in the style of the in-game portraits? (which are also more realistic)

pps. if the Ps3 version has voice acting for all the lines of the games that's one crazy work for the voice actors.. kudos to them.

@Shirokun: I think cuts, cuts and more cuts. it doesn't explain the plot well. i hear the fourth game has a super cool scene that isn't in the anime at all, for example.
But i'm an Umineko newbie, as i said, i'm reading the third game in these days.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Shirokun said:
Could someone explain(without spoiling anything for the games) why the anime is considered garbage? Having not played the games, I thought the anime was pretty entertaining.
From the few episodes I watched the entire beginning sequence was cut that let you get to know the characters pretty well, the dramatic scenes are severely less impactful than in the novel, and from what I've heard from people who've seen the whole thing the relationship between Battler and Beatrice was misrepresented towards it wouldn't really make sense once Chiru is adapted into an anime. The only thing I can really tell you that the First Twilight in EP1 was a lot better in the novel by a wide margin.

Wizpig,

Episode 4 also had a realistic portrait, because, like EP8, it's the "final" game for each arc.

Voices are for all lines spoken by characters, we have to see if lines from the narration are voiced as well, but I don't think it'll be the case.

Also, concerning the anime, I have to add that the game music was BUTCHERED it was horrible :( Also, some animations were flawed or some details changed between scenes etc

Wizpig

Ah, makes sense now, thanks.
The music in the PC visual novel is simply amazing

By the way, speaking of anime adaptations, i actually watched Higurashi and Higurashi Kai by Deen, i haven't read the novel... it was probably butchered just like Umineko.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Wizpig said:
By the way, speaking of anime adaptations, i actually watched Higurashi and Higurashi Kai by Deen, i haven't read the novel... it was probably butchered just like Umineko.
The adaption was actually pretty good aside from some ommisions, but Kai fills in the information gap since Ryu wrote an arch for Kai that includes the omissions in as well as telling Kai's story.

Bebpo

Banned
InfiniteNine said:
The adaption was actually pretty good aside from some ommisions, but Kai fills in the information gap since Ryu wrote an arch for Kai that includes the omissions in as well as telling Kai's story.

Hmmmm, maybe I should just watch the anime for Kai instead of reading the last few novels. I feel like if I'm going to jump into Umineko PS3, I should probably finish Higurashi first and I don't have the time to go through them all on PS2 ^^;

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Bebpo said:
Hmmmm, maybe I should just watch the anime for Kai instead of reading the last few novels. I feel like if I'm going to jump into Umineko PS3, I should probably finish Higurashi first and I don't have the time to go through them all on PS2 ^^;
Watch the Dice Killing Chapter in Rei as well if you want to be totally filled in since it's the epilogue.

TimeKillr

Well I wanted to buy the DD version, but apparently since I live in Canada I can't... :( I've always wanted to play one of these games too.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
TimeKillr said:
Well I wanted to buy the DD version, but apparently since I live in Canada I can't... :( I've always wanted to play one of these games too.
Witch-Hunt is trying to expand the available countries so that'll probably take a while, but there is still the demo! It's the entire first episode, and has it's own translation patch!

TimeKillr said:
You can just order a copy online. It took less time to ship it here than getting something shipped from America.

Top Bottom