• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ougon-musou-kyoku: Umineko no Naku Koro ni 2D Fighter revealed!

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
7XRj5.jpg

Alongside the reveal of Umineko no Naku Koro ni Ep8 Twilight of the Golden Witch a Umineko themed 2D fighter named "Ougon-musou-kyoku" has been announced.
It will be released at Comiket 79, December 31, 2010 so mark your calenders people!

The confirmed character roster for the game currently is:
Battler, Beatrice (Beato), Virgilia, Ange, Lucifer, Ronove, Kanon, Eva-Beatrice, Siesta 410, and Shannon.
There are two empty slots so cheer for your favorite demon or human!
XJfPx.jpg

Explanation of the games system (Japanese):
http://07th-expansion.net/ogon/system/system.html
(Pastebin Translation) http://pastebin.com/7rH3iWkG

System Requirements:
Windows XP SP3 or newer.
Intel Core 2 Duo or newer.
1 GB RAM for XP (2 GB recommended), 2 GB RAM for Vista/7 (3 GB recommended).
2 GB free HDD space.
NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT/8500GT/9400GT/GT220, ATI Radeon HD3650/HD4650/HD5550, or anything above required.

Gameplay videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmt09SloUY0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWBsxJP3Nvo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=862GKbHFCuI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-twPWf9hSrQ (Dai vs ZTS!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yw4XKKQj9Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4Dea33aMns

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MTmMprmZIw
More Screens: http://www.office-mk.co.jp/pcshop/special/umineko2.html

notworksafe

Alongside the reveal of Umineko no Naku Koro ni Ep8 Twilight of the Golden Witch Ougon-musou-kyoku a 2D fighting game has been announced.
I didn't understand much of this sentence but I'm always down to try another 2D fighter!

Sega

What? Yet ANOTHER 2D fighter that narrowly escapes the "all girl fighter" label by including a single dude? Come on... I want to see new art styles and a good range of character designs in my 2D fighters. I love 2D, but this kinda thing feels icky, especially since it's so hard to find anything else nowadays. Blazblue was the closest, but then they threw it away by hiring a designer who wants to take it down the same path of filling it only with characters he wants to have sex with.

EDIT:
Ok, I see a character named Ronove listed in the corner of a couple of the shots. Still... I'm kinda sick of this overall character theme. Way too similar to too many other 2D fighters.

TreIII

Looks really good. I'll keep an eye out for it. Between the likes of AH3 and this game, I may have plenty to keep me occupied in the FG arena. :D

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Sega said:
What? Yet ANOTHER 2D fighter that narrowly escapes the "all girl fighter" label by including a single dude? Come on... I want to see new art styles and a good range of character designs in my 2D fighters. I love 2D, but this kinda thing feels icky, especially since it's so hard to find anything else nowadays. Blazblue was the closest, but then they threw it away by hiring a designer who wants to take it down the same path of filling it only with characters he wants to have sex with.
There are three different guys in the screens I posted dude. Since it's based of an already existing series it's pretty much limited to the characters that appear in the Umineko no Naku Koro ni sound novels as well.

Sega said:

EDIT:
Ok, I see a character named Ronove listed in the corner of a couple of the shots. Still... I'm kinda sick of this overall character theme. Way too similar to too many other 2D fighters.

I know he doesn't look it, but Kanon is a dude.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Even though CG sprites for Zepar and Furfur are in the trailer I don't see much in the way of post-EP4 characters being playable yet. It would be nice to have Dlanor and Willard H. Wright for some unlockable characters, or at least in a possible sequel.

cosmicblizzard said:
I know he doesn't look it, but Kanon is a dude.
Sakutarou is in the trailer as well.

Sega said:
wat I don't even play blazblue but there's more guys than girls..

also: King of Fighters XIII, new Art of Fighting (cancelled?), Chaos Code (about equal), Demon Bride (from Examu), Phantom Breaker (okay pretty much all girls)

I'm awaiting for the trailer that has beato's amazing laugh.

I was there today when they updated the site.

And then I saw Umineko no Naku Koro ni EP8 Twilight of the golden witch, Umineko no Naku Koro ni Tsubasa and Ougon Musou Kyoku.

Then my mind blew.

It's such a good day to be a 07th Expansion fan! Now I need to wait for those 3 games to appear in shop listings so I can preorder all of them. I saw that 28/11 is the date preorder will begin. Can't. Wait.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I dont like the art style, but a new fighting game is always good news to me. :D

Oh and I must add that with this game I'll finally be able to play as Ange and CRUSH THAT B**CH KYRIE INTO MILLIONS OF PIECES.

EP7 readers will understand :D
Anyway, just to do that, that game is a must buy :lol

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
anotheriori said:
wat I don't even play blazblue but there's more guys than girls..

also: King of Fighters XIII, new Art of Fighting (cancelled?), Chaos Code (about equal), Demon Bride (from Examu), Phantom Breaker (okay pretty much all girls)

I'm awaiting for the trailer that has beato's amazing laugh.
Do you have info on that one?

Sega

InfiniteNine said:
There are three different guys in the screens I posted dude. Since it's based of an already existing series it's pretty much limited to the characters that appear in the Umineko no Naku Koro ni sound novels as well.
Ah, I see. I didn't know the one drawn like a woman was a guy. Well, I really thought I had more of an open mind than this (being a major fan of animation and an illustrator myself), but I guess I'm sick of anime fighters. There's such a wide range of art that can be used, and styles of character design. Plus, like I mentioned before... it feels icky playing a fighter where you know the designer was mainly making characters he/she wants to have sex with, instead of trying to find an interesting range of people. I loved fighters in the 90s too, but felt that same ickiness with Strip Fighter, Pretty Fighter X, and Asuka 120% back then.

Now, it seems most 2D fighters have turned into that. It's sad, and I don't think it helps the health of the genre, though much popularity is gained within a minority of gamers. It's even valuable in that way, as it's ok to specialize and make people looking for that specialization happy. I just wish I could find other stuff. If this is based on an anime, maybe the same problem exists there, though I haven't watched a new anime show in quite a while, so I don't know the trends there. I can only speak on 2D fighter trends, due to my searching hard for upcoming releases. I was happy about Big Bang Beat a while back, and some other indie fighters, but since fighters are so competitive in nature, it's important for them to exist in a format and with availability that would allow for such common competition.

I just want a healthy variety of 2D fighter characters back, with different builds, ages, genders, etc... to not only make them more interesting to me, but to people in general. I feel it's important to the health of the genre. We're so close as 2D fighters are being made for consoles again. Ah well, I'll leave this thread if people want to talk about the game instead. I know I'm not adding anything positive here. Just a bit more sad and disappointed each time I see this pattern. Thanks for correcting me (seriously, I feel very slightly better).

anotheriori said:
wat I don't even play blazblue but there's more guys than girls...
I'm talking about the new character designer that replaced the original one.

Fersis

anotheriori said:
No just haven't heard anything about it, and I think it was annoucned pre-TGS?
Really?
Man i totally missed that one! WTF!?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
The music from the OP Trailer sounds great! I wonder if they are going to mix in some tracks from the sound novel as well! It'd be nice to kick some ass to Dreamenddischarger or WorldEndDominator!

TreIII

Fersis said:
Really?
Man i totally missed that one! WTF!?

If it's what I'm thinking about? That was an "April Fool's Joke", or the equivalent for whatever region of the world SPEKSNK occupies. :lol

Fersis

TreIII said:
If it's what I'm thinking about? That was an "April Fool's Joke", or the equivalent for whatever region of the world SPEKSNK occupies. :lol
Oh i see like SRK 'April Fool's Joke': "SNKP just bought GGPO!!"

I was already freaking about, a new SNKP fighting game and im not aware? Madness!

KamenSenshi

Came for the OP game. Will purchase when available. Almost thought I missed something with the Art of Fighting talk. With all this 90's stuff making a small comeback, it's almost too bad that there is no way to see an Eternal Champions game, just for fun.

Sega

Dresden said:
I don't even know what he's talking about, Blazblue from the start had slutty designs.
I'm not a prude. I'm not just talking about a few sluts. I'm more talking about a theme. An overall feeling that the player gets from the characters. One that may make people generally feel welcome, or not. Again, there's a minority of people who feel very welcome by the cast generally being built around the character designer's fetishes, and good on them, but overall, it's not inclusive, I feel. Anyway, BlazBlue had a fair variety of body builds and had a good mix of genders/ages. They had a ghost character, a big strong dude, robot, etc... I just never got the feeling like they felt like non-girls were a necessary evil. While it wasn't the best mix, it was an ok mix, and didn't GENERALLY push the theme I was disappointed about and see way too often.

mollipen

Sega said:
but felt that same ickiness with Strip Fighter, Pretty Fighter X, and Asuka 120% back then.

Saturn Asuka 120% was one of the best 2D fighters of that generation. Who cares what gender the character roster was.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Sega said:
I'm not a prude. I'm not just talking about a few sluts. I'm more talking about a theme. An overall feeling that the player gets from the characters. One that may make people generally feel welcome, or not. Again, there's a minority of people who feel very welcome by the cast generally being built around the character designer's fetishes, and good on them, but overall, it's not inclusive, I feel. Anyway, BlazBlue had a fair variety of body builds and had a good mix of genders/ages. They had a ghost character, a big strong dude, robot, etc... I just never got the feeling like they felt like non-girls were a necessary evil. While it wasn't the best mix, it was an ok mix, and didn't GENERALLY push the theme I was disappointed about and see way too often.
The character designer isn't really well versed in designing or drawing for that matter. Some of his designs have been... ugly. Like with Zephar and Furur's leak they where thought to be fake characters until EP6 was actually released. The main focus of the source material was atmosphere and did a lot to build that up. They might not be the best fighting character designs, but they where plucked from a set stage.

On another note I haven't seen much of the adults in these. I want to get in some Krauss counter!
256px-Umineko_characters.jpg

Sega

InfiniteNine said:
The character designer isn't really well versed in designing or drawing for that matter. Some of his designs have been... ugly. Like with Zephar and Furur's leak they where thought to be fake characters until EP6 was actually released. The main focus of the source material was atmosphere and did a lot to build that up. They might not be the best fighting character designs, but they where plucked from a set stage.

On another note I haven't seen much of the adults in these. I want to get in some Krauss counter!
256px-Umineko_characters.jpg
Ah, I see. Maybe I am being too hard on him, expecting the same type of work as from a more successful/talented character designer/artist. I guess this was just one of those "straw that broke the camel's back" moments. Seems like an odd choice of series to base a fighter on, but from that picture, there does seem to be a good variety. I'd be very excited about this game if it included the characters you showed here. An odd choice can be a very interesting one if they explore what makes that choice special instead of going with what others are doing.

Anyway, they haven't shown all the characters yet, so I could just be getting worked up over a poor narrow choice of initially revealed characters. I will say the quality of work put into this is pretty high. The backgrounds are great, as are the animation poses.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
icarus-daedelus said:
The title is a little bit too Japanese for my brain to comprehend, can you translate that or something?

'2D fighter revealed' is always exciting news though.
Well google translate says it's called: "Kogane dream song"
Umineko no Naku Koro ni translates to "When the Seagulls Cry"

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
At first I thought "What the fuck?" After thinking about it, an umineko fighting game does make some sense when you have the magical elements.

I mean come on, the 7 stakes and the witches are enough of a fighting game as is :)

BTW, is that the cover for the compilation of the Chiru Arc? That looks so bad ass and would go well with my compilation of the original arc.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Hcoregamer00 said:
At first I thought "What the fuck?" After thinking about it, an umineko fighting game does make some sense when you have the magical elements.

I mean come on, the 7 stakes and the witches are enough of a fighting game as is :)

BTW, is that the cover for the compilation of the Chiru Arc? That looks so bad ass and would go well with my compilation of the original arc.
Yeah, after I was told about it I was like "What the fuck are you talking about" then I saw the OP Trailer and squealed like a girl.

Yeah, that pretty much confirmed that EP8 is the final part of the story. I look forward to buying it!

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
InfiniteNine said:
Yeah, after I was told about it I was like "What the fuck are you talking about" then I saw the OP Trailer and squealed like a girl.

Yeah, that pretty much confirmed that EP8 is the final part of the story. I look forward to buying it!

Yeah, the trailer is pretty awesome.

It is good to see the best Stake representing the 7 sisters ;)

e7066f84.jpg

aef5b0e9.jpg

shaowebb

This fighter looks pretty decent, but that name is too much.

I'll just call it Archetype "The fighters" in my head to keep it simple.

Top Bottom