• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Umineko no Naku Koro ni |OT| of Witches Trolling, Super Paper, and Small Bombs

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
cj_iwakura said:
Does Episode 4 conclude an arc at all, or does it just set up for even bigger things in 5-7?

And Golden Fantasia seems awesome, I'd import the heck out of a PS3 version.
It concludes the Question Arc and Chiru begins the Answer Arcs. Although everything you need to know about the mystery is contained in the first four games and can be solved.

Yeah, it's kinda like the end of a season. It doesn't really conclude much. Sure you can solve it with only the first 4 arcs, but Chiru is pretty much the one where you can see the motive the best.

InfiniteNine said:
The thing I'm looking forward to most in Chiru PS3 is the ending of EP6. I want to hear those red words loud and clear~! SPOILER EP6 ENDING

Oh yeah, that part sure will be nice, I hope someone records it because I can't see it any other way :(

Personally, what I want to hear the most is

(Spoiler just in case)
<Die the death>! <Sentence to death>!!<Great equalizer is the death>!!

(Where's a good pic of Dlanor murder face when I need it? :/

Oh, and I also hope
Will solving all of the mysteries
is as beautiful as I imagined it.

weeaboo said:
I hope dai and zts are in this one too.
Well we've got our answer.

No ZTS and no -45 but half of the songs are made by dai, a number by Morrigan, one by SB ZUNE, one by M.ZAKKY, one by Pre-holder.

On average, I have a real trouble to adapt, the styles the BGMs are going for are totally not like Umineko's BGMs so when you're comparing they are quite... disappointing I'd say...but if you rate them as songs on their own and properly give them the respect they deserve, then I'd say most of them are cool, with a few that stand out.

However, there's one awesome epic song, &#26263;&#12365;&#26127;&#12365;&#38343;&#12399;&#26376;&#12434;&#32972;&#12395;. Hot damn that one is sick, it could have been in Umineko I wouldn't have complained one bit!

Now to wait for an actual copy to reach me sometime at the end of this month.

weeaboo

Ey UmineGAF, look at this, first Umineko Chiru PS3 screens!

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201109/01049350.html

0S5TE.jpg

tIOOu.jpg

P2fEe.jpg

fF2iP.jpg

oSqsv.jpg

Erika and Dlanor looks uuuhh.h.... also there're 80 new tracks (no composers announced)

EDIT: Miyuki Sawashiro as Dlanor, holy shit

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Erika and Dlanor look weird with certain sprites like most of the PS3 sprites so that was expected, but 80 new tracks? Goddamn! I wonder how they are going to lay them out or if it's for new content.

I still want to see and hear Will though! The voice preview's are obviously not final though so I guess they haven't started recording just yet.

Also can definitely tell which gender Zephar and Furfur are now, haha.

I'm guessing this is the coverart:
56Jlt.jpg

EDIT: Some random scan says Erika is voiced by Nozawa Masako. That seems impossible since she's like 74.

Endless Sorceror
Battler looks pretty good with that cape. I need an avatar of it sometime :I

The Chiru characters look good in this style, and from what I saw Erika even has a ductape pose (YES) :D Also, I feel the
Beatrice=Lion
thing is more noticeable here. Oh, and kid Ange looks adorable on the cover :)

I've been looking forward to seeing and hearing how this would turn out. Too bad there wasn't any Will in that trailer. The only thing that doesn't sit right with me is that Erika looks more like a kid than a teenager. I guess its just her face. It seems more rounded, like a kids face. That's just a minor issues which is probably only in my head. Game looks great and I cannot wait to see more.

Everyone's voices except Erika and Dlanor are perfect. Erika is just too quiet, and Dlanor feels kinda monotone. Well, ok, I guess it'd kinda fit Dlanor to be like that.

Kamen Rider Prism said:
I've been looking forward to seeing and hearing how this would turn out. Too bad there wasn't any Will in that trailer. The only thing that doesn't sit right with me is that Erika looks more like a kid than a teenager. I guess its just her face. It seems more rounded, like a kids face. That's just a minor issues which is probably only in my head. Game looks great and I cannot wait to see more.

Uh, Erika is a kid. She was introduced as a "young girl" and that fancy clothing she wears is some hand-me-downs from Jessica.

cj_iwakura

Episode 3 is insaaaaaane.

Eva-Beatrice is one crazy witch.

That and
Kumasawa = Beatrice's teacher
? Mind = blown.

PataHikari said:
Uh, Erika is a kid. She was introduced as a "young girl" and that fancy clothing she wears is some hand-me-downs from Jessica.

You're right. I tend to forget that fact because of how she acts. Therefore I take back what I said and have no issues. Can't wait to see more.

Torraz

cj_iwakura said:
Episode 3 is insaaaaaane.

Eva-Beatrice is one crazy witch.

That and
Kumasawa = Beatrice's teacher
? Mind = blown.

Having read up to 7, 3 has remained my favorite. All of them were very good though. 8 supposedly tops 3. The wait for the translation is killing me.

My biggest problem with the ps 3 version is Erika's voice. I expected it to be very different.

InfiniteNine said:
Bitches can be children too!
I know. Initially I didn't like her because of some of the things she did. But after thinking about it for a while she's not all that bad. I mean, who could hate someone who likes chopsticks as much as this:
chopsticksx.jpg

cj_iwakura

Question, what's the music playing when (Episode 3)
EVA-Beatrice and the Stakes fight Kyrie and Rudolf?

Kyrie is a stone-cold boss.

That hero shot image of her with the shotgun, I said damn.

weeaboo

cj_iwakura said:
Question, what's the music playing when (Episode 3)
EVA-Beatrice and the Stakes fight Kyrie and Rudolf?

Kyrie is a stone-cold boss.

That hero shot image of her with the shotgun, I said damn.

worldend dominator maybe? I can't remember :\

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
Seeing an Umineko thread in GAF makes me incredibly happy... Umineko, the original VN that is, is one of the best experiences I've had in front of a screen. I won't contribute anything to the thread though, as I'm too afraid of spoilers and have not read anything from Ep 8 (waiting for WH to finish the translation).
Erika is my waifu

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well you can wait for the updated PC version in December! It'll also have the added benefit of Dlanor and Erika and be significantly cheaper to purchase.

cj_iwakura

Good to know. I think the game looks awesome.

Are all these characters I don't recognize introduced in 4, or are they from even later?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
cj_iwakura said:
Good to know. I think the game looks awesome.

Are all these characters I don't recognize introduced in 4, or are they from even later?
Well if you are talking about about Erika and Dlanor even later. Ange and the Siestas/Cheisters should appear during 3.

Rosa's ability is Detachment....pffft, HAHAHAHA, I don't think there could've been a more appropiate skill for the best mom ever XD

Her moveset looks rather disappointing though. I guess her gun is THAT good.

cj_iwakura

Her anime look is a little jarring, the Ryukishi drawings have me spoiled.

Also, one of her attacks is apparently called 'goat hunting'.

Oh yeah, that went so well last time.

Zafir

Well. I just finished episode 1, and while it was amazing. I'm left kind of baffled. I feel like I've already finished the story... Even though I know I haven't.

cj_iwakura

Finished Episode 3 and the post-events.

Oh my god, just...I don't even. Head asplode.

That was beyond incredible.

Virgilia's face. The aftermath of Eva. Ange. Batshit crazy Lambdadelta.

My god.

It is about to get so real, isn't it?

One thing I have to wonder.

Is Kumasawa really Virgilia, or was that part of the scheme?

cj_iwakura

I'm not even sure I can. It feels like there's way too many random elements that the game gives you no chance of predicting, like
Kyrie with the cigarette butts
and such.

cj_iwakura said:
I'm not even sure I can. It feels like there's way too many random elements that the game gives you no chance of predicting, like
Kyrie with the cigarette butts
and such.

The individual episodes don't give you enough on their own to solve the mystery, but once you finish Episodes 1-4, you have all the data you need to figure out the truth, or at least most of it.

cj_iwakura

I just watched a clip from the anime when (3)
Kyrie fights Leviathan and Rudolf fights Lucifer.

Boy did they ruin that.

Wasted good voice work, sadly.

cress2000

In all honesty, I recommend reading Higurashi before Umineko even thought they aren't really connected. I don't really want to say anything specific, though.

cj_iwakura

Episode 4 isn't disappointing so far.
I'm not sure if Ange is going back and forth between timelines or if the 1998 stuff is a prologue or what, but it's still great.

I'm having a hard time feeling sorry for Rosa, that's for sure.

Also, you all might like knowing that Umineko music is making quite a showing in the HG101 top music list.

weeaboo

cj_iwakura said:
Episode 4 isn't disappointing so far.
I'm not sure if Ange is going back and forth between timelines or if the 1998 stuff is a prologue or what, but it's still great.

I'm having a hard time feeling sorry for Rosa, that's for sure.

Also, you all might like knowing that Umineko music is making quite a showing in the HG101 top music list.

She only deserves death for what they did to Episode 4
I'm talking about Ange of course. So fucking BORING.

cj_iwakura

Ange is awesome. I really feel for her.

Also, Rosa? To hell with her. What a first-rate bitch.

Am I supposed to 'get' the time shifts, or will it be answered later?

If Ange killed Mammon and co. when she was still in school and later she learns how to call them while on the run with the mercenary and oh my god I don't even know.

How does this series of games work? There's 8 episodes? I was reading the other series with a similar name by the same creators has a "question" arc and an "answer" arc. Do these episodes take place in chronological order? Do they overlap? I love visual novels but the whole things seems kind of confusing.

cj_iwakura

Synth_floyd said:
How does this series of games work? There's 8 episodes? I was reading the other series with a similar name by the same creators has a "question" arc and an "answer" arc. Do these episodes take place in chronological order? Do they overlap? I love visual novels but the whole things seems kind of confusing.

There's eight episodes. Four are the question arc, four are the answer arc.

Think of it as DDS 1 & 2. Both tell one hell of a story, and combine to something even more epic.

As for chronological order.... well. Sort of. The overall events move forward, but they have flashbacks all over the place.

The events of the killings occur in a time loop until Battler can deny Beatrice, or he surrenders.

So the PC versions are each 1 episode and the PS3 version is episodes 1-4?

The PS3 is region free right? So I can just import this or any other game from Amazon.co.jp and play it no problem?

Top Bottom