• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Umineko no Naku Koro ni |OT| of Witches Trolling, Super Paper, and Small Bombs

Aaaaaaaaand it's (PS3 game) FINALLY HERE.

Damn boy, it was sent the 15th of December and because of the holiday rush (I'd assume) customs hold my package for almost half a month ><

On a EP8 and Tsubasa note, I got confirmation yesterday from AmiAmi that my order for the two sound novels is complete and is being shipped :D

Wizpig

... Gaap is scary.
Why is she so ugly? ç_ç

How is she in the Ps3 version?

edit. And there's something i didn't like in Episode 4. (spoilers for Ep 4)

You know how in the other episodes, BEFORE the first twilight
there's a "slideshow" of all the characters in their current positions with a nice, relaxing music? and after that the first 6 get killed... well, it wasn't in Ep 4, since Goldsmith appeared out of nowhere and started killing :lol

Can you find that music for me somewhere on youtube? thanks :D

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well Gaap is still ugly, but no where near as intimidating:
8gYG7.jpg

Also which music are you talking about? The music from the scene you mentioned?

Wizpig

Yes, the scene that occurs in the first 3 games.

and Gaap is fugly :(
I don't like Ps3 Ronove aswell but at least he's always handsome. :lol

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
How.. what.. I mean... ???
This doesnt look bad, I suppose its relatively unknown for non-japanese speakers?
What is that?
I mean.. is it a game from a manga series? Can I read the manga without spoiling the game or vice versa? I mean.. what..is..this ?

Edit: It seems since there is an english patch, I thought more people would be interested in stuff like this. I read its a mix of Phoenix Wright and.. stuff? Can anyone elaborate?

Dresden

Toma said:
How.. what.. I mean... ???
This doesnt look bad, I suppose its relatively unknown for non-japanese speakers?
What is that?
I mean.. a game from a manga series? Can I read the manga without spoiling the game or vice versa? I mean.. what..is..this ?
It's a visual novel. Lots of text, still images, etc. Game came first, then came the manga/anime. Manga is better, but ryukishi once complained that the early chapters give too much of the mystery away, iirc. Anime is bad.

Wizpig

Toma said:
Edit: It seems since there is an english patch, I thought more people would be interested in stuff like this. I read its a mix of Phoenix Wright and.. stuff? Can anyone elaborate?
Phoenix Wright without gameplay.

You just read... and read... and shit your pants from the plot twists.
i.e. a Sound Novel.

Honestly, i don't see it as a videogame... as i said, there's no gameplay, no choices, etc, unlike, say, 999 on the DS.

That's a visual novel but it has gameplay.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=412827
Dresden said:
Manga is better, but ryukishi once complained that the early chapters give too much of the mystery away, iirc.
Didn't know this! cool.
I mean i didn't know a manga existed in the first place...

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Wizpig said:
That's a visual novel but it has gameplay.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=412827Didn't know this! cool.
I mean i didn't know a manga existed in the first place...
Yeah, the first few chapters of the manga where translated before the game patch. Although the group who did it didn't do any chapters afterwards so there is a gap in there from people who just continued on with Turn if I recall correctly. In terms of enjoyment I'd rate

VN>Manga>>>>>>>Anime.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
I'm on ep9 of the anime and am quite confused. I'm doing my best to keep up with whats happening, but I don't envisage any kind of explanation would make sense for Battler's behaviour. You're in a
magical
situation, talking to a
magical
being yet you refuse to acknowledge the situation, the being but you still want to win?

Either this is some next level genius stuff or its a load of hokey far fetched not very well realised trying to be deep and complicated story telling.

and I realise people say the anime is bad, but are you guys really telling me the manga will change my opinion on this? I cant imagine a possible explanation for his behaviour, nevermind the overarching plot.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well there is a reason Battler is the protagonist in this but I can't really say. Anyways, all of the games thus far can be explained without the use of magic with a human as the culprit and has been done so over the years. I really wouldn't believe it either if someone told me that they where a witch and murdered all of my family using magic since I'd think they where crazy.

I don't know what the anime presents in terms of clues and red text, but the reason for the conflict is because any sane person would believe that magic does not exist. There are clues in the magic scenes for the solution and culprit as well, but if you don't look past it and find out what is really happening it pretty much becomes a fantasy story. The magic is used as a supplement to scenes which it is not clear what happened.

I've read very little of the manga so I can't really tell you that, but I know it has better presentation and pacing than the anime. Although ever game thus far has been explained without the use of magic, and Requiem of the Golden Witch pretty much baby feeds you the entire thing if you couldn't figure it out yourself.

Durante

kaizoku said:
Either this is some next level genius stuff or its a load of hokey far fetched not very well realised trying to be deep and complicated story telling.
The anime will certainly make it seem like the latter. The original source material is at least closer to the former, but I'll only be able to give you a final opinion once ep 8 is translated. I have no idea about whether the manga is a better adaptation than the anime, I haven't read it.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
InfiniteNine said:
Well there is a reason Battler is the protagonist in this but I can't really say. Anyways, all of the games thus far can be explained without the use of magic with a human as the culprit and has been done so over the years. I really wouldn't believe it either if someone told me that they where a witch and murdered all of my family using magic since I'd think they where crazy.

I don't know what the anime presents in terms of clues and red text, but the reason for the conflict is because any sane person would believe that magic does not exist. There are clues in the magic scenes for the solution and culprit as well, but if you don't look past it and find out what is really happening it pretty much becomes a fantasy story. The magic is used as a supplement to scenes which it is not clear what happened.

I've read very little of the manga so I can't really tell you that, but I know it has better presentation and pacing than the anime. Although ever game thus far has been explained without the use of magic, and Requiem of the Golden Witch pretty much baby feeds you the entire thing if you couldn't figure it out yourself.

The only way it makes sense to me is if they were playing some kind of board game or reading a story and then arguing over whether it magic or whatnot. It was weird in the anime cos you actually see magical stuff happen only for him to say "nah that didnt happen, don't believe it" and the audience is like...."what?"

I'm at the stage now where I'm still trying to figure out the anime and I'm leaning towards a "what we're seeing is just a story being told by one of them" rather than this is what actually happened.

or something. :s still madly confusing.

Wizpig

What the shit what the heck why is Episode 4 so crazy,
it doesn't even take itself seriously... Krauss versus that goat... wtf T_T

loser flags
are so awesome, right :D

I'm finishing my perfect run of Tales of Graces f before reading EP2-4 on PS3...I'm really looking forward to see how it'll be with voices in EP4 :D

Wizpig

InternHertz said:
loser flags
are so awesome, right :D
By now i feel like Battler, saying "ahhh it's useless, it's all useless..."

Just when i thought it was getting super serious...

Wizpig

"dreamenddischarger" is supposed to play in episode 4, but in which scene exactly... ?
I mean, is it in episode 4 only or does it play in the first three too? i don't remember the scenes though.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Actually I remember it being played quite a few times, but I can't remember the exact scenes I'm pretty sure it's EP4 and beyond though.

Wizpig

I want to buy the Umineko fighting game, but is there hope for a Mac patch / version or is it going to be Win only?

Bebpo

Banned
I wish this wasn't so expensive still ;_; I really want to play it and the HD visuals look jaw-droppingly gorgeous, but I can't get myself to spend $100 on a visual novel, especially when there will likely be another $100 one for ep5-8.

I thought that since it sold pretty low it'd price drop, but so far the price is maintaining :\

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Wizpig said:
I want to buy the Umineko fighting game, but is there hope for a Mac patch / version or is it going to be Win only?
Well there is always a VM of Windows or Boot Camp to turn to. I wouldn't count on a port for Mac though.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Wizpig said:
Retail is always better than them digital stuff!
Yay!
I hear that man!

Also a 30% partial English patch for Umineko EP8 is quickly approaching! Grab your hats people it's almost time for the end of the ride.

pje122

So you do you need to play Higurashi before starting this or can you jump right into this without being confused?

pje122 said:
So you do you need to play Higurashi before starting this or can you jump right into this without being confused?

They seem to take place in the same universe, but other then a few references they're mostly unconnected.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
pje122 said:
Not at all, other than a few passing references and a cameo or two they are completely disconnected from each other.

Wizpig

InfiniteNine said:
I hear that man!

Also a 30% partial English patch for Umineko EP8 is quickly approaching! Grab your hats people it's almost time for the end of the ride.
During March or after March? :eek:

Wizpig

InfiniteNine said:
Fan Translation is pretty top notch give it a go. It's already been given a second pass with corrections so you should be good to go on clues.
Did they change the translation for 5-6?

I have the latest patch with 7 included, so...

Wizpig

Some trivia questions about Dlanor.
When I say trivia, I mean it.

It is said that she killed her father because he infringed some of his own rules from the decalogue.
If we assume her father to be the real, actual Knox, does it mean that in some of his books he didn't follow the decalogue?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Wizpig said:
Did they change the translation for 5-6?

I have the latest patch with 7 included, so...
Well those have been gone over again for the 7 patch, but it might be gone over again for the 8 patch.

Wizpig said:
Some trivia questions about Dlanor.
When I say trivia, I mean it.

It is said that she killed her father because he infringed some of his own rules from the decalogue.
If we assume her father to be the real, actual Knox, does it mean that in some of his books he didn't follow the decalogue?
Dude broke the rules!

Wizpig

InfiniteNine said:
Well those have been gone over again for the 7 patch, but it might be gone over again for the 8 patch.

Dude broke the rules!
But whereeeeee?!
In real life, I mean... if that actually happened. :lol

Anyway i'm reading Umi 5, as you may have guessed, but some things really leave me "huh?!?"

For example,
Natsuhi says she talked with Kinzo in his study... and that was THE USHIROMIYA KINZO, not someone else... and that becomes the red so that Dlanor can use it against Battler?!
But wait, it can't be the truth, it's just something Natsuhi said...

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Wizpig said:
But whereeeeee?!
In real life, I mean... if that actually happened. :lol

Anyway i'm reading Umi 5, as you may have guessed, but some things really leave me "huh?!?"

For example,
Natsuhi says she talked with Kinzo in his study... and that was THE USHIROMIYA KINZO, not someone else... and that becomes the red so that Dlanor can use it against Battler?!
But wait, it can't be the truth, it's just something Natsuhi said...
I'm actually not sure, I remember trying to look it up but found nothing.

Well... that can be explained and will be later on.

cj_iwakura

I'm so psyched to try this out, but it won't run. :( I'm getting MP3 errors saying I need to be in Japanese locale, and I can't seem to pull that off. (Using Windows XP).

Am I screwed?

Also, the Witch Hunt website leads me to believe this game has puzzles, riddles, something like that?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
cj_iwakura said:
I'm so psyched to try this out, but it won't run. :( I'm getting MP3 errors saying I need to be in Japanese locale, and I can't seem to pull that off. (Using Windows XP).

Am I screwed?

Also, the Witch Hunt website leads me to believe this game has puzzles, riddles, something like that?
Do you should be able to install it with the help of the Windows XP Install Disc otherwise you can try this: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101102181643AAJDVLV
It's been a while since I've used XP and I had the install disc when I needed Japanese Locale, so I'm not too sure on getting it otherwise.

Well it's more of stuff it presents to you that you can solve. It's not a puzzle in that it's interactive.

cj_iwakura

I have the language pack. I think I'm just doing something wrong.

Also: I downloaded the demo, patched it, and IT runs just fine.

I'm pretty sure I just did something wrong. I'll play episode 1 for now and toy with the others later.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
cj_iwakura said:
I have the language pack. I think I'm just doing something wrong.

Also: I downloaded the demo, patched it, and IT runs just fine.

I'm pretty sure I just did something wrong. I'll play episode 1 for now and toy with the others later.
The latest patches for EP4 (1-4) should make the locale thing not a problem anyways. It's a bit strange.

Top Bottom