• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Umineko no Naku Koro ni |OT| of Witches Trolling, Super Paper, and Small Bombs

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Lostconfused said:
You can just order a copy online. It took less time to ship it here than getting something shipped from America.
A lot of import shops are out of stock since EP8 was revealed, but if you have a shop that has it in stock and ships to overseas please let me know so I can add it to the OP.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
There are some high-res screens available for Episodes 1-4 of the PS3 version on 4gamer!
Take a look if you're wondering to expect in terms of the added CGs. Here are a few screens from EP1 to get the hype going!

KdZBT.jpg

vCesL.jpg

aat9q.jpg

u4k0C.jpg

Episode 1 Legend of the Golden Witch
Episode 2 Turn of the Golden Witch
Episode 3 Banquet of the Golden Witch
Episode 4 Alliance of the Golden Witch

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
InfiniteNine said:
I can understand this. :lol The PS3 designs have grown on me a bit though while I was making the thread so it isn't all bad.

Didn't want to include things past EP1 in the OP but you can take a gander at the the Stakes:

While they do look better, I hate saying it, but the anime designs look better for them.

I should go jump off a cliff right now.

Shirokun said:
Could someone explain(without spoiling anything for the games) why the anime is considered garbage? Having not played the games, I thought the anime was pretty entertaining.

If you thought the anime was entertaining, you will LOVE the sound novel since the music is far superior and it showcases much of the details that was omitted from the anime.

Wizpig said:
@Shirokun: I think cuts, cuts and more cuts. it doesn't explain the plot well. i hear the fourth game has a super cool scene that isn't in the anime at all, for example.
But i'm an Umineko newbie, as i said, i'm reading the third game in these days.

Fans of the sound novel were pissed when they omitted a certain fight between
Krauss and "Goat-kun"
:lol

It's good to see this series get the OT it deserves! Thanks, InfiniteNine!

I'm really hoping that a miracle occurs and the PS3 version gets localized, but I'll probably end up picking it up even if it doesn't. One of these days I'll learn Japanese, I swear.

Wizpig said:
By the way, speaking of anime adaptations, i actually watched Higurashi and Higurashi Kai by Deen, i haven't read the novel... it was probably butchered just like Umineko.
I watched the anime first and am currently going through the VN, and the anime adaptation wasn't bad. The VN is still better though. The ending of the third arc is much more powerful in its original written form.

Bagh the fact that characters looked caucasian added to just how western the entire Ushiromia family tried to appear. The anime designs were certainly jarring.

Cirruss

Mmm i suppose the chances of the PS3 version being released in english or getting a fan translation to work with it are pretty much zero.

I would rather play with the PS3's artstyle than the PC versions, but since i don't understand japanese i guess ill have to settle for the PC version :S

xero273

Cirruss said:
Mmm i suppose the chances of the PS3 version being released in english or getting a fan translation to work with it are pretty much zero.

I would rather play with the PS3's artstyle than the PC versions, but since i don't understand japanese i guess ill have to settle for the PC version :S

If you have a jailbreak ps3 then there is a chance for fan translated version. Just have to wait for some group to pick it up.

Oyashiro

Too bad the PS3 version is never going to get localized. Oh well, I don't even have a PS3 :lol

Anxiously awaiting the 100% patch for Ep. 7. W-H released a 50% patch but I'd rather wait for the full. I have finals next week, so there's no point in getting the 50%.

Also, what's Tsubasa? I only knew of the PS3 game, Ep 8, and the fighting game coming out soon.

Varion

Oyashiro said:
Also, what's Tsubasa? I only knew of the PS3 game, Ep 8, and the fighting game coming out soon.
It's a VN version of all those little short story booklets that've been released at Comiket and various Umineko fan events. Some of them have interesting info, some of them are just comic relief type stuff.

Wizpig

It pisses me off.
(Crazy spoilers, first twilight, third game)

I wanted Beatrice (the nameless witch) to win against Beatrice the Golden, but nooo, that bitch wins. :(

Still, all the furniture is already dead at the beginning of the first twilight, this is going to be awesome...

Wizpig

InternHertz said:
Could someone find a list for the trophies on PS3 yet? I tried on some japanese wikis but no luck so far.
A visual novel with achievements? lol :lol

I searched a little but i don't think the list is out yet.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
InternHertz said:
Could someone find a list for the trophies on PS3 yet? I tried on some japanese wikis but no luck so far.
Nothing on my end, but I can't imagine them being anymore than chapter/EP completion trophies unless they put back in that puzzle for the EP1's TIPS, but that would only cover one trophy.
Well they could probably also use it on the dead Siesta.

InfiniteNine said:
Nothing on my end, but I can't imagine them being anymore than chapter/EP completion trophies unless they put back in that puzzle for the EP1's TIPS, but that would only cover one trophy.
Well they could probably also use it on the dead Siesta.

Wait, huh? I've read 1 through 6 and have no memory about any of that :lol

Clannad 360 had achievements (wouldn't mind having those on my profile), though that was multi-choice.

For people thinking about giving a VN a shot, give Narcissu a shot. It's available in English for free (legally), non-H, and only lasts a couple hours at most. It's a very sad but moving tale...

That's what I thought too, but maybe there's a surprise waiting for us ^^

Should be Bronze - EP1 cleared; Bronze - EP2 cleared; Silver - EP3 cleared; Gold - EP4 cleared; Platinum - Have all the trophies. And maybe separate bronze trophies for reading tea parties who knows.
Anyway, a little more than a week left I'm really excited.

I saw the opening movie is finally on the JPN store, have to say it's quite gorgeous in 1080p :D

And I can't wait to read EP8 in January, I took 5 days for EP7 main story and 2 days for the tea parties. Maybe not the "best time " around but it was on par with how long I took reading the other ones.
I read them first in Japanese, then I wait for the full patch to reread them more quickly just before the next one arrives.

I have a hunch EP8's gonna be EPIC :D (or at least that's what I hope, but I've been mindblown time and time again so it should be a safe bet)

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Tranced Shadow said:
Wait, huh? I've read 1 through 6 and have no memory about any of that :lol

Clannad 360 had achievements (wouldn't mind having those on my profile), though that was multi-choice.

For people thinking about giving a VN a shot, give Narcissu a shot. It's available in English for free (legally), non-H, and only lasts a couple hours at most. It's a very sad but moving tale...
Well the EP1 puzzle in the TIPS was removed from future versions of the game, and that second one shows up if you circle through the entry for the siesta's enough.

Wizpig

Higurashi had some new scenes that unlock after you complete a chapter, but Umineko only has these "TIPS" sections where you can read again some info, I think?
Like the epitaph.
And i have no memory of a puzzle, ... i think.
Why would they remove it?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Wizpig said:
Higurashi had some new scenes that unlock after you complete a chapter, but Umineko only has these "TIPS" sections where you can read again some info, I think?
Like the epitaph.
And i have no memory of a puzzle, ... i think.
Why would they remove it?
Well there is new information in the end game TIPS which give a bit of a hint towards what really happened in that particular episode and there are numerous examples in this if you look them over.

Well it was a puzzle to unlock the ??? or Teaparty (Can't remember which), so it would prevent progress for those who can't get it or don't even know it's there.

EDIT: This was the puzzle.
CsF50.jpg

Wizpig

Now i remember it!
But the ??? unlocked by itself.

I wonder how the puzzle worked, how could you "submit" an answer.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Wizpig said:
Now i remember it!
But the ??? unlocked by itself.

I wonder how the puzzle worked, how could you "submit" an answer.
Pretty much just by executing the right people. The puzzle was removed as a way for unlocking the ??? or Tea party in future games though.

Wow, I never knew about that puzzle. That was kind of cruel!

As far as trophies go, I bet there'll be one for listening to so many tracks in the inevitable Music Box and, if there's a gallery, for unlocking/viewing a certain number of CGs. Slim pickings otherwise. It's kind of silly to have achievements/trophies for a VN, but rules are rules.

Durante

hosannainexcelsis said:
One fan asked just what the point of this game was, to which Nakagawa amusingly replied, “Frankly? To produce it for the PS3.”
He.

It should be mentioned that he jokingly said that they want to sell 1 million (obviously).
Oh, and the article says "(visual novels are lucky to sell 10k units, if that)", I think Umineko will almost certainly outdo that in the first week.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Durante said:
He.

It should be mentioned that he jokingly said that they want to sell 1 million (obviously).
Oh, and the article says "(visual novels are lucky to sell 10k units, if that)", I think Umineko will almost certainly outdo that in the first week.
I'd be there day one with a nice pre-order bonus if I got paid before that. Sadly I have to wait till the week of Christmas which will probably make me get the game in January when I order it due to overworked postmen.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Small update in the available countries for Witch-Hunt's DD option.
Hobibox added a bunch of Spanish-speaking countries today. Argentina, Chile, and Venezuela can now access the download site for EP4 and EP7.

As for the several other countries we've heard from, you haven't been forgotten. Canada, Colombia, Germany, and the Netherlands are all on the list to be added. Hobibox has been spreading the releases out so that they don't risk overloading their servers, but all of those countries will probably be added in a week or two.

Wizpig

But, if you buy it from Witch Hunt how many "moneys" will go to 07th Expansion?

I prefer the retail version.

Wizpig

(As always, giga-spoilers from the third game, second twilight)

What the effin' flippin' fuck
EVA-Beatrice.
Things are getting crazy.

Wizpig said:
(As always, giga-spoilers from the third game, second twilight)

What the effin' flippin' fuck
EVA-Beatrice.
Things are getting crazy.

I wish I could read Umineko again for the first time. So many great moments.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Small update to the Epitaph translation to those reading via Witch-Hunt Translation patches!

Behold the sweetfish river running through my beloved hometown.
You who seek the Golden Land, follow its path downstream in search of the key.

As you travel down it, you will see a village.
In that village, look for the shore the two will tell you of.
There sleeps the key to the Golden Land.

The one who obtains the key must then travel to the Golden Land in accordance with these rules.

On the first twilight, offer the six chosen by the key as sacrifices.
On the second twilight, those who remain shall tear apart the two who are close.
On the third twilight, those who remain shall praise my noble name.
On the fourth twilight, gouge the head and kill.
On the fifth twilight, gouge the chest and kill.
On the sixth twilight, gouge the stomach and kill.
On the seventh twilight, gouge the knee and kill.
On the eighth twilight, gouge the leg and kill.
On the ninth twilight, the witch shall revive, and none shall be left alive.
On the tenth twilight, the journey shall end, and you shall reach the capital where the gold dwells.

The witch shall praise the wise and bestow four treasures.

One shall be all the gold from the Golden Land.
One shall be the resurrection of all the dead souls.
One shall be the resurrection of the love that was lost.
One shall be to put the witch to sleep for all time.

Sleep peacefully, my most beloved witch, Beatrice.

Translation provided by The Witch Hunt.
Update: 10th December 2010

Note:

Golden Land: In Japanese, 黄金郷 (Ougon Kyou), which means the land of gold. This is also the word used to refer to the legendary city of El Dorado.

Also an important note:
Klashikari said:
And we did keep the same kind of "difficulty" as the japanese fanshad: As they did need English knowledge to solve the epitaph, western fans need Japanese knowledge to solve the riddle.

Erigu

Er... Yeah, but whereas you (are supposed to) learn English in Japanese schools, the opposite isn't exactly... ^^;

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
It is a pity that this game would never get release in the states.

I mean the translation alone would cost a bucket of money.

Top Bottom