• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Umineko no Naku Koro ni |OT| of Witches Trolling, Super Paper, and Small Bombs

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Durante said:
License witch-hunt's, done.

(Yeah, I know that for some reason it just doesn't work that way)
Well Witch-Hunt said they where fully fine with donating the script, so it's really up to someone looking to pick it up and releasing it here.

InternHertz said:
YAY my copy's been sent 3 hours ago :D with Ao/Aka Shinjitsu no Pen bonus of course

Hopefully I'll get it by Monday/Tuesday!
Lucky, I won't get anything with mine. >; I want those Stake bookmarks or the set of pens! That One Winged Eagle money clip isn't so bad either.... Damn I want a majority of the pre-order bonuses. >:

I thought about preordering but decided to wait in the insane hope that somebody decides to publish it in the US (I'm looking at you, Aksys!). If there's no news by late January, I'll find a copy then.

InfiniteNine said:
Lucky, I won't get anything with mine. >; I want those Stake bookmarks or the set of pens! That One Winged Eagle money clip isn't so bad either.... Damn I want a majority of the pre-order bonuses. >:

I also wanted a bunch of bonuses :( Like the money clip and the Beatrice dakimakura cover ;_;

But at least I get to have the pens, it's not all bad =)

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
hosannainexcelsis said:
I thought about preordering but decided to wait in the insane hope that somebody decides to publish it in the US (I'm looking at you, Aksys!). If there's no news by late January, I'll find a copy then.
Well someone on the Aksys team seems to be a fan hopefully with a big push from fans it could possibly get a stateside release!

InternHertz said:
I also wanted a bunch of bonuses :( Like the money clip and the Beatrice dakimakura cover ;_;

But at least I get to have the pens, it's not all bad =)
Going to the bank now to deposit some money and order the pen bundle from a reseller. :lol

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Durante said:
License witch-hunt's, done.

(Yeah, I know that for some reason it just doesn't work that way)

Yeah, but it sure would be nice, wouldn't it?

For a bunch of fan translators they do an AMAZING job with the material. I wish the people at Witch Hunt were an actual localization team because they would do a pretty good job translating niche japanese games for the USA.

Wizpig

InfiniteNine said:
Tomorrow is the release date of Umineko no Naku Koro ni Majo to Suiri no Rondo! Who got's their pre-orders in? :D Debating on ordering this before I get paid or not. :lol
Ep 8?

When is the fighting game coming out?

Heh lucky you. As I'm fully on Tales of Graces f and Monster Hunter Portable 3rd, I didn't get the fastest shipping method, so even though I preordered it weeks ago, still have to wait for next week to get my hands on it. Should give me time to advance in the other games as well.

Also, if the translation patch for EP7 is released on Saturday, I'll have to re-read the Episode in English. It's been months since I read it in Japanese.

In fact what I wanted to do was to re-read ALL EPs on PC before EP8 comes out, but I'll instead read the first 4 on PS3 and then EP5-7 on PC. Then it'll be time for EP8 and Tsubasa in Japanese ^^

God I don't want Umineko to end :(

cnet128

Banned
So hyped for the PS3 version. I loved every moment of the anime, only to find out that it was apparently a bad adaptation, so I can only imagine how good the original text must be. It's pretty great timing for me, as well, as I just finished the final arc of the final Higurashi DS game about a week ago, so I'm hungry for more Ryukishi goodness.

As far as I'm concerned, these 'consumer editions' of the visual novels are the definitive way of experiencing Ryukishi's work. Anime adaptations can be good, but even the best adaptation is always doomed to miss out on all the details. And even if I had a Windows PC and decided to play through the original visual novels, well, firstly I don't think I'd ever stop resenting the fact that Ryukishi's artwork does leave something to be desired, and more importantly I don't think I could handle the complete lack of voice-acting; voicing adds so much to this kind of work. So a true-to-the-original-text, fully-voiced version with professional artwork is pretty much my idea of perfection.

The only thing I wish at this point is that I could erase the anime from my mind, so that I could experience it for the first time in this definitive form. But alas, that is not to be. At least I have resolved that even if a second series of the anime comes out, I am not going to watch the second half of the series in any form until it comes out in a similar definitive version. I think the wait may just kill me, but it'll damn well be worth it.

Shirokun

Gah! NCSX screwed up their shipments, so now my copy won't be shipped until next week! So much for a Merry Christmas this year. : (

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Shirokun said:
Gah! NCSX screwed up their shipments, so now my copy won't be shipped until next week! So much for a Merry Christmas this year. : (
Yeah, I ordered from Play-Asia since they had a before Christmas Guarantee on their site. NCSX was out at the moment so I guess I should be thankful. :lol Now to wait for it to arrive today...

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Aww yeah! It's in! Time to play this bad boy!
WzvQMl.jpg

9tlsVl.jpg

KdYVMl.jpg

2y46Fl.jpg

LtfoEl.jpg

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Oh boy, this is a wonderful way to re-experience the question arcs no doubt! The voices, extra sprites, and halving the text box really worked out in it's favor. Just arrived on Rokkenjima so it's time to meet the servants, Krauss, and Natsuhi!

Oyashiro

Aw shit, I'm so jelly of you lucky people. I've been wanting to replay the question arcs for quite a while now. Maybe someone will figure out how to rip the sprites from the PS3 version and replace the PC ones with them? I think I'm just wishing for the impossible D:

In other news, I hear that the Episode 7 100% patch is going to be released either today or tomorrow. That's pretty exciting :D

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Durante said:
Official spiel for it from Witch-Hunt:
Klashikari said:
As I explained already on my twitter, the epitaph can be said to really be a representation of our own project.
That is to say, we aren't stuck on the seventh twilight.

You may wonder: did they just went overboard and got toasted (none shall be left alive)?
Actually, that may be the case, who knows. That is to say, even if we worked hard on it and the epitaph itself, there is a little paragraph that still is good news:
The golden land has been reached at last, and 4 treasures are bestowed (no doubt, the second one will be for Chronotrig, I promise :heh:).

Anyway, without much ado, we will present you the first treasure to all of you.

Witch hunt is proud to announce that the patch for Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru, Episode 7 is available.
This patch covers completely Requiem of the golden witch.

You can grab the new patch on our website. Please check this link (build: version 3.3).

Important Note: Please remember that we have made some changes for the epitaph in order to make it solvable for the English community, now that the solution has been disclosed. Please be aware that due to its nature, we had to make sure the difficulty would be the "same" (as much as Japanese fans required English knowledge, English fans will require some Japanese knowledge to solve it on their own).

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Episode 1 Legend of the Golden Witch PS3 done! This is pretty great since the voices and everything really add to the game. Can't wait for BEST MOM EVER!
VRnWOl.jpg

Wizpig

Important Note: Please remember that we have made some changes for the epitaph in order to make it solvable for the English community, now that the solution has been disclosed. Please be aware that due to its nature, we had to make sure the difficulty would be the "same" (as much as Japanese fans required English knowledge, English fans will require some Japanese knowledge to solve it on their own).

So did they change the patch for 1-4 too or just from 5 onwards?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I imagine they'll release an updated patch sometime soon since they are free for a little while. EP8 releases next week so that'll probably be their final project since Tsubasa's script is from the bonus TIPS that where already translated.

cnet128

Banned
Heh. Yeah, that was probably my favourite moment in the anime. The rages. So much rages. XD

Can't wait to experience it again in UminekoPS3, even if I do know it's coming this time round.

Articalys

Wait a sec, there's obviously no translation patch for the PS3 game, so that means all of you can fluently read Japanese? If you're not a native speaker, how long did it take you to learn?

On topic, I know the anime has an OST, but there's no such thing for the games, is there?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Articalys said:
Wait a sec, there's obviously no translation patch for the PS3 game, so that means all of you can fluently read Japanese? If you're not a native speaker, how long did it take you to learn?

On topic, I know the anime has an OST, but there's no such thing for the games, is there?
Not really fluent at all even though I can read bits of it, so I keep the PC version on hand to fill in the blanks. Actually learned a few Kanji this way so a good learning experience I suppose! :lol

As for the soundtracks they exist:
Umineko no Naku Koro ni musicbox Red
Umineko no Naku Koro ni musicbox Blue
Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru musicbox Black
Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru musicbox -Kiri no Pithos-

Durante

I just finished Episode 7 + the Tea Party. What a ride.

Bernkastel almost
had me at the end of the main part
, I'm still too naive :lol

Varion

Articalys said:

I wouldn't call myself fluent, but looking up kanji every now again I imagine. Started reading the VNs in Japanese after about two years with Episode 3, up to four and a half now.

Oh and to add to the OST list:
http://vgmdb.net/album/14735 Observer (pre-holder tracks)
http://vgmdb.net/album/14566 Sound of the Golden Witch (Luck Ganriki tracks)
http://vgmdb.net/album/14778 Amrita (-45 tracks)

Basically there's no unified 'OST', it's up to the various doujin circles that provide the game's music to release on their own CDs.

InfiniteNine said:
To be able to experience that again without prior knowledge would be delicious. :lol
It's always fun to be around people when they experience Episode 3 for the first time :lol

Incidentally Ryuukishi announced on his blog yesterday that there'll be an Umineko Rei, so Witch Hunt aren't getting off the hook yet. He also as good as said he'll be starting on something new afterwards. What flying creature will be crying this time I wonder.

Wizpig

Wait what, Umineko Rei?

In Higurashi, was Rei as important as the first 8 novels or just extra chapters? i ask since i think it will be the same here.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Wizpig said:
Wait what, Umineko Rei?

In Higurashi, was Rei as important as the first 8 novels or just extra chapters? i ask since i think it will be the same here.
It was filled with a kinda didn't matter arc and fun joke times. I imagine it'll be fun though.

cnet128

Banned
Articalys said:
Yeah, I'd say I'm semi-fluent when it comes to reading. I'm at the level where I can certainly enjoy a visual novel / manga / light novel without *needing* to look anything up (though I come across plenty of words that I feel the urge to look up because I'm not sure on their reading/nuance/whatever, even though I can understand the sentence just fine).

It took me four years of majoring in Japanese at university to reach this level (though I think I have something of a natural talent for language, plus I spent most of my free time reading/listening to/translating the language as well; in the end I was probably one of the top students in my class, so YMMV).

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Just finished EP2's ???? on the PS3. Bern's "Nipaa~!" is a force to be reckoned with. :lol

The final scenes where a bit disappointing with the "eating" flashes timed slower though. /: The ending was great though as usual!

People like to bash the Unimeko anime but it's an infinitely more accessible format for 07th Expansion's stories than fan-translated visual novels. However, unlike Higurashi which got 2 seasons of anime to cover the entire story arc of the VNs, it doesn't seems like the Umineko anime will get the second season it needs to finish the story. I'm not sure what to do here, to be quite honest. I never bothered reading the Higurashi VNs due to the anime series but I did watch the Umineko anime and I'm wondering if I actually have to read the VNs just to find out what happens at the end. :lol

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Being more accessible doesn't make it not a vastly inferior product. DEEN screwed up their adaption from the beginning, so yeah some people look unfavorably upon it obviously. If it really isn't getting a second season you can read through the Sound Novel or the manga when it catches up.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I think it's most likely due to people waiting for the eventual 1 disc bundle with Umineko and Umineko Chiru, but anyways I blame everyone who didn't buy the PS3 version.
I don't care if you don't understand Japanese you should have bought it anyways!
Not really. <3

I'm not sure your point makes sense, i9. If you look at Higurashi, people bought the PS2 version in droves and the DS versions sold really well even though they were split into chapter arcs. In fact, when the combined PS2 version released, people bought even more.

I just don't think the PS3 is the ideal vehicle to sell ADVs...

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well I remember the thread after the announcement on 2chan. Most people where whining about it not being on the PSP. /: That might have something to do with it even if I don't agree with it.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Just a note if you guys are going to discuss EP8 please use spoiler tags for those who haven't read and those reading the fan translation. :)

I think I'll read Tsubasa before reading EP8.

I was a bit spoiled on EP8 while searching something on Ougon Musou Kyoku, so I want to postpone reading it for a few days, hoping what I learned was either wrong, or to try and make peace with it and still enjoy the ending of that awesome series.

It's one of those times you wish the troll on a topic was really trolling and not telling the truth just to pwn you =(

Top Bottom