• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ougon-musou-kyoku: Umineko no Naku Koro ni 2D Fighter revealed!

Durante

Playable Dlanor or no SALE.

I'm quite surprised at the sudden influx of Umineko material. First the PS3 game and now this. But I'm still most pumped for the seventh episode of the sound novel once Witch Hunt finish their translation.

Sega said:
Ah, I see. I didn't know the one drawn like a woman was a guy. Well, I really thought I had more of an open mind than this (being a major fan of animation and an illustrator myself), but I guess I'm sick of anime fighters. There's such a wide range of art that can be used, and styles of character design. Plus, like I mentioned before... it feels icky playing a fighter where you know the designer was mainly making characters he/she wants to have sex with, instead of trying to find an interesting range of people. I loved fighters in the 90s too, but felt that same ickiness with Strip Fighter, Pretty Fighter X, and Asuka 120% back then.

Now, it seems most 2D fighters have turned into that. It's sad, and I don't think it helps the health of the genre, though much popularity is gained within a minority of gamers. It's even valuable in that way, as it's ok to specialize and make people looking for that specialization happy. I just wish I could find other stuff. If this is based on an anime, maybe the same problem exists there, though I haven't watched a new anime show in quite a while, so I don't know the trends there. I can only speak on 2D fighter trends, due to my searching hard for upcoming releases. I was happy about Big Bang Beat a while back, and some other indie fighters, but since fighters are so competitive in nature, it's important for them to exist in a format and with availability that would allow for such common competition.

I just want a healthy variety of 2D fighter characters back, with different builds, ages, genders, etc... to not only make them more interesting to me, but to people in general. I feel it's important to the health of the genre. We're so close as 2D fighters are being made for consoles again. Ah well, I'll leave this thread if people want to talk about the game instead. I know I'm not adding anything positive here. Just a bit more sad and disappointed each time I see this pattern. Thanks for correcting me (seriously, I feel very slightly better).

I'm talking about the new character designer that replaced the original one.

This was a problem during The Drought, but the doujinshi fighters keep on coming even with AAA greats overshadowing them (glad for that, I can tell you).

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
shaowebb said:
This fighter looks pretty decent, but that name is too much.

I'll just call it Archetype "The fighters" in my head to keep it simple.

The name is pretty....ugh.

Can't they just call it Umineko No Naku Koro Ni: Bernstankel Trolls Again?

Articalys

Something I've always wondered about the When They Cry games and how they play-- is there really just one correct path to the main ending in each one, with multiple ways to get yourself killed or whatever along the way, or is there more of a real branching structure? And is the whole TIPS element just background info to build the game world, or can you actually use things you learn with TIPS during gameplay?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Articalys said:
Something I've always wondered about the When They Cry games and how they play-- is there really just one correct path to the main ending in each one, with multiple ways to get yourself killed or whatever along the way, or is there more of a real branching structure? And is the whole TIPS element just background info to build the game world, or can you actually use things you learn with TIPS during gameplay?
Well the When They Cry series has no choices in the original versions of the games, but they kinda shoehorned paths into console versions to decide which arc you get. The TIPS are there to help you try to figure out what exactly is going on in Hinamizawa or Rokkenjima. They are largely something you have to put together like a mystery novel using the TIPS and stuff you gather reading you should be able to separate the truth from the lies, and it ultimately ends with an unraveling of everything that was hidden. The TIPS usually contain some information gathered while reading and sometimes some new information to help tug you in the right direction. The games are broken up in Question and Answer arcs, so it'd be wise to compare differences in previous arcs to unravel some of the truth.

All in all it's pretty much a mystery novel with pictures, music, and a small hint section.

Articalys said:

There are no branching paths - the When They Cry series (both Higurashi and Umineko) are linear narratives with no way to affect the plot. There is gameplay of a sort on a meta-level, in that the stories are complicated mysteries where you have to use the information provided (including the TIPS, which in Higurashi are extra scenes which wouldn't fit into the main story and in Umineko are mostly descriptions of each character and how they die) to figure out what's really going on before the answers are revealed in later episodes. I've gotten together with friends to try to come up with solutions to Umineko, and it's a lot of fun.

But there's no gameplay of a traditional sort in these sound novels.

Oh god I cant wait for this. I always imaged what a Umineko fighting game would be like. I already have a few favorites lined up and a few characters lined up to use as practice dummies. And I second the need for a Krauss Counter. Gaap could be an interesting character too. This will be terrific and I already have high hopes from seeing the screenshots.

Articalys said:

Some visual novels have multiple endings. Higurashi and Umineko don't.

InfiniteNine said:
Rehosted some screenshots for the lazy:

t9Nlu.jpg
damege, lol

NeonZ

Unknown Soldier said:
Some visual novels have multiple endings. Higurashi and Umineko don't.

Actually, hasn't it been announced that Umineko Chiru 4 will have choices? But, yes, it's not the standard of the series in its original format (although the console versions of Higurashi had choices).

Articalys

Thanks everyone -- so if I understand it right, you get to just follow the story as it progresses without having to worry about the "right choice" at any point, and you can use the plot revealed so far along with TIPS to challenge yourself to try to reach the truth of the mystery before the game spells it out for you?

Actually, on a side note, I remember reading something about the last main Higurashi game; didn't it grill you on key plot details to make sure you knew what was going on before it let you progress the story?

Durante

Articalys said:
Thanks everyone -- so if I understand it right, you get to just follow the story as it progresses without having to worry about the "right choice" at any point, and you can use the plot revealed so far along with TIPS to challenge yourself to try to reach the truth of the mystery before the game spells it out for you?
Exactly.

Articalys said:
Actually, on a side note, I remember reading something about the last main Higurashi game; didn't it grill you on key plot details to make sure you knew what was going on before it let you progress the story?
Yes. It's the most interactive title (I wrote "game" here first) in the series, but it still doesn't really have choices. (Beyond deciding which of the fragments you piece together first)

Niblet

Shit, I've been meaning to play Umineko. Its been installed on my mac for too long. Now they have a fighter coming? Guess I know what I'll be doing in december. I'll see you guys in January.

DY_nasty said:
2D is BestD

I'm down.

Truth!

I'll give this a spin given the chance.

More real 2D fighters to spite Crapcom's bullsh*t Polygon Patriot Act.

<Crapcom> Our sad rehashes of ten year old sprites aren't selling! Clearly the problem is the sprite itself! Let's not acknowledge the changes in how games are being played outside of Japan! Quick, subcontract our franchises out to bufoons and make it 3D!!! </Crapcom>

The good news is all these 2D game developers may be in the running for when Crapcom subcontracts SF5 development.

The bad news is since it's all loli-bullsh*t it will be naught but crap characters like Sakura and Karin. :lol

Dachande

Nice that there's a new 2D fighter, but I want to see some actual fighting gameplay before I get happy about it. Too many of these doujin fighters are just lazy ADHD Guilty-Gear-alikes with floaty hit-detection and 6 or 7 over-complicated mechanics because that's the fashion these days.

TreIII

Much more in the way of gameplay revealed, via a new vid released on the site.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmt09SloUY0

What's this?! A Doujin fighting game with NO AIRDASHES?! Could we finally be witnessing a new "revolution" when it comes to Doujin fighters, after so many years of citing from the book of GG and Melty Blood?

HYPE. :lol

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Alright the confirmed characters for the game are:
Battler, Beatrice (Beato), Virgilia, Ange, Lucifer, Ronove, Kanon, Eva-Beatrice, Siesta 410, and Shannon.
There are two empty slots so cheer for your favorite demon or human!
XJfPx.jpg

Explaination of the games system (Japanese):
http://07th-expansion.net/ogon/system/system.html

Gameplay videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmt09SloUY0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWBsxJP3Nvo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=862GKbHFCuI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-twPWf9hSrQ (Dai vs ZTS!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yw4XKKQj9Y

All info will be dumped in the OP.

TreIII

Pretty much the only thing I lament is that my laptop isn't quite powerful enough to run the game. My vid card is just a point shy. :lol

Any way, hopefully this game will have some longevity to it (and with 07th directly back it, that should stand to happen). If it could stand to repeat Melty Blood's success and then eventually go to arcades within a year or two, that'd be nice to see.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Also it seems netplay has pretty much been unofficially confirmed by the Dai vs ZTS video. REJOICE! Looking at the specs for this thing I doubt my laptop can run it. ):

System specs (Provided by my friend K):
Windows XP SP3 or newer.
Intel Core 2 Duo or newer.
1 GB RAM for XP (2 GB recommended), 2 GB RAM for Vista/7 (3 GB recommended).
2 GB free HDD space.
NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT/8500GT/9400GT/GT220, ATI Radeon HD3650/HD4650/HD5550, or anything above required.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Dexa said:
so anyone bought it?
i´ve read some netplay impressions, which werent that good :-/
Netplay was pretty good in my experience. Unfortunately my computer isn't up to snuff with running it at 60 FPS after the Meta mode is engaged. >:

Dexa

Banned
guess it has not been posted here:
http://07th-expansion.net/ogon/update.html

Patch 1.01

General Gameplay Changes

* Hitstop increased.
* Increased the delay cancel window on many normals.
* Many attacks (such as throw) that did not prorate previously now have proration.
* Normal attacks now auto-correct properly when a cross under occurs.
* Adjusted various attacks and specials.
* Added throw invincibility when landing after being hit in the air.

Known Character Specific Changes

* Ronove's Enchant Shield disappears after a certain amount of time.
* Ange's Stakes summons are interrupted if Ange gets hit.

Bug Fixes

* Ronove's Enchant Shield bug fixed.
* Kanon's Offscreen bug fixed.
* Various other bug fixes.

Other Fixes

* Option for POV and XY inputs
* Keyboard 'W' binded as "Start"
* Game no longer picks up keyboard input when not active window
* Various netplay tweaks

Bento

Dresden said:
I don't even know what he's talking about, Blazblue from the start had slutty designs.
What? I thought the female design were quite okay... Noel, Rachael, Staff Lady all had "proper" clothing as I can remember so there really wasn't anything scandalous in Blazblue imo :I

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Ick. No thanks. I'll stick to the PC version I already have. My HRAP works with it just fine.

Top Bottom