• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Umineko no Naku Koro ni |OT| of Witches Trolling, Super Paper, and Small Bombs

Knox's 7th. It is forbidden for the detective to be the culprit. . As to why does this even makes sense on the gameboard level, it's because she's "The Detective" : piece-Erika is transcended by her meta counterpart and is backed up by Bernkastel, so she has super human spider-like powers and doesn't need to justifiy herself to the family.

cj_iwakura

Dunno if you've gotten to this part yet, but it's not much of a spoiler (hell, I don't even think it is, but just in case)
[red]Knox's 7th commandment: It is forbidden for the detective to be the culprit[/red]

Yeah, I was thinking about that.

But who cares!?

Well, the above works too.

Yeah, I was thinking about that.

But who cares!?

umineko.pl

Well, it's like
Everytime I think Battler's ready to man up and ruin those bitches, he gets ruined instead.

Ep 5 last tea party is still my favorite moment in the series because of the comeback that was made at this point.

"that's what you get for toying too much in the witches darkness "
lambda toying with erika wit the "don't you feel awefull ?" reminded me why i enjoy this character ( lambda )

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Really have trouble playing Ougon Cross sometimes. The input is really strict so most of the time I have to enter special move inputs a few times which makes controlling some of Erika's better moves problematic. Having fun otherwise though. O:

Question for those who may know / or those who speak japanese :

About Episode 7 VN and Manga :
Ok, what's the deal with the manga ? The VN took great care NOT to refer to Lion's gender and in the manga Lion is directly referenced as "her"...so is it because of the (crappy) translation or the manga really refered to Lion as a female ?

Yep, it's definitely the translator.

I'm currently re-reading EP6 on PS3, still 2 chapters left until the main story's done.
I still remembered a lot of things from this EP, but I forgot a lot of EP5's events (well at some point I couldn't say if some thing would happen now or rather later). Then again last time I read EP5 was maybe 1 1/2 to 2 years ago...

But I've got to say, it's still so awesome to read. I hope When They Cry 5 is going to live up to the hype I'm building in my heart.

cnet128

Banned
Currently playing Chiru PS3 (Higurashi fan for a while now, got into Umineko via the anime, then played the first PS3 game and have been waiting on tenterhooks for Chiru PS3 ever since).

I just finished Episode 6, and I must say... This is living up to every last bit of the hype I had built up. Episode 5 seemed a little low-key to me (by Umineko standards). There was still a lot to think about of course, and just introducing Erika makes it a worthwhile part of the series, but I was a little underwhelmed overall compared to the episodes that had gone before.

Then Episode 6 came along, and... BAM. The whole episode just felt like epic moment of awesome after epic moment of awesome, leaving me grinning like an idiot the whole way through (and failing to get any sleep because I couldn't pull myself away from the game). It felt a little like Episode 5 was the setup and this was the payoff. Erika was great in Episode 5, but in Episode 6 she really came into her own and became by far one of my favourite characters in the series. I really do hope
her defeat and subsequent death at the end of Episode 6 don't mean this is the last we see of her. There's a CG of her in the gallery with a still-to-be-unlocked variant, and characters in Umineko seem to be really bad at staying dead in general, so I'm hopeful.

Speaking of the end of Episode 6,
I'm feeling quite convinced by this point that Shannon and Kanon are actually the same person. The theory occurred to me partway through the episode, and though it still seems crazy, all the developments since then seem to point to it (and indeed, it allowed me to predict most of the moves in the climactic battle. Which somehow just made the scene feel even more awesome. Making Kanon "disappear" from the room without ever leaving it by simply abandoning that name and becoming just Shannon was a masterstroke, and tied in perfectly with the whole one-must-live-and-one-must-die metagame that was going on throughout the episode. Unless I'm completely wrong and Beato did something even more crazy.) If this theory turns out to be true, I feel like I'm going to have to play through all the previous episodes again at some point just to figure out how the heck?!

Even if it isn't true, I do think Erika should have suggested it - she went as far as to confirm with Beato that Kanon and Battler aren't the same person, but didn't think to do the same for anyone else? I guess she was blinded by the fact that she thought she'd eliminated all characters but Battler, Kanon and herself from the equation by this point.

At any rate, I'm going to start on Episode 7 this evening, and from what I gather this episode will be providing an awful lot of answers. I honestly can't wait.

It‘s never explicitly denied or comfirmed,
it is just implied with the subtlety of a fucking piano falling on your head.

Knox's 7th. It is forbidden for the detective to be the culprit. . As to why does this even makes sense on the gameboard level, it's because she's "The Detective" : piece-Erika is transcended by her meta counterpart and is backed up by Bernkastel, so she has super human spider-like powers and doesn't need to justifiy herself to the family.

Well there's also the (very likely) fact that...

In reality there were no murders in the 5th game by the time it ended. The entire thing was fake, most of the family was using Erika, likely to get at Natsuhi to get her to admit Kinzo was dead.

Yeah, that works too. I like this version personally.

Another headscratcher incoming :
Ok, so now we know Yasu wrote EP1 & EP2, and Toyha the rest. If we focus on EP1 and EP2, those two episodes are all about the family, with Battler included, and Ange excluded.

Aaaaand that's where I have a problem. When were EP1 and EP2 written ?
I mean, You can realistically have only 3 solutions :
1°) Before the incident, Yasu would know beforehand that Battler was coming (1 month in advance or whatever, the time span is not important on this point). However, she would've been realistically expecting Ange right ? But apart from a reference to Ange being sick, she's not adressed in those episodes. How would she know Ange wasn't coming ? Would Rudolph and Kyrie call just before going to Rokkenjima ? Is there enough time to write three tales ? (don't forget Land of the Golden Witch which was never recovered).

2°) During the incident. Well duh, catbox = everything could happen. Maybe Yasu wrote it with Battler over a nice cup of tea.

3°) After the incident / murders / whatever - dafuq ?

Another thing I'm confused about : the whole "Ange going on a trip to Rokkenjima and being killed there" - is it just Toyha theorizing or...what ? My mind is confused with all those meta levels and layers.

And there's still the matter of Nanjo's death in EP3...

Anyway the more I think about it the more my head hurts ha ha.

cj_iwakura

Episode 6, Start of Second Twilight:

Damn you, Erika, just when she was sympathetic.

I fell for the duct tape scheme hard.

Yeah, that works too. I like this version personally.

Another headscratcher incoming :
Ok, so now we know Yasu wrote EP1 & EP2, and Toyha the rest. If we focus on EP1 and EP2, those two episodes are all about the family, with Battler included, and Ange excluded.

Aaaaand that's where I have a problem. When were EP1 and EP2 written ?
I mean, You can realistically have only 3 solutions :
1°) Before the incident, Yasu would know beforehand that Battler was coming (1 month in advance or whatever, the time span is not important on this point). However, she would've been realistically expecting Ange right ? But apart from a reference to Ange being sick, she's not adressed in those episodes. How would she know Ange wasn't coming ? Would Rudolph and Kyrie call just before going to Rokkenjima ? Is there enough time to write three tales ? (don't forget Land of the Golden Witch which was never recovered).

2°) During the incident. Well duh, catbox = everything could happen. Maybe Yasu wrote it with Battler over a nice cup of tea.

3°) After the incident / murders / whatever - dafuq ?

Another thing I'm confused about : the whole "Ange going on a trip to Rokkenjima and being killed there" - is it just Toyha theorizing or...what ? My mind is confused with all those meta levels and layers.

And there's still the matter of Nanjo's death in EP3...

Anyway the more I think about it the more my head hurts ha ha.

i'm gonna spoiler for those who have yet to see the ending

Ep 1 & Ep 2 were written " as if " regardless if batller came or not ...yes it's coincidences but that was stated by beatrice in EP 8 and in ep 6 or 7 by someone else .

As for Ange , she never put her foot on rokenjima ( events of ep 4 never happenned ) this is another what if scénario imposed by bernkastel to create the "miracle" ..if she jump on the top of that skyscrapper , she dies either on the spot or ( if a bernkastel miracle occurs ) by the events afterwards by kyrie sister hand ( ep 4 ) or by her bodyguard ( betrayal as seen in ep 6 ).

The going on a trip also means "looking for the answers of rokenjima" and no matter what she do , she also goes toward her doom .Bernkastel said it several times ..anyway she wasn't going to reach salvation that way.

As for nanjo, it's not fresh in my mind so i'll let someone else answer

The Nanjo one HAD to be Yasu, it's too convenient for Kanon's "ghost" to appear around that time, and Eva was with Battler IIRC.

That's kinda hard for me right now. Broken laptop which has stopped me from finishing ep8 T__T

...oh yeah, there's an Umineko wikia, I'll check later.

cj_iwakura

Finished Episode 6. (Yes, tea and ??? too.)

As weird as that wedding was, seeing Battler and Beatrice gun that bitch down simultaneously was too perfect.

Tell me I get to see a painting of Bernkastel. I love that art style.

Finally got my laptop back last week, so it's time to finally finish EP8.
The whole 1998 confuses the hell out of me, which parts that we saw in the previous episodes did actually happen? x__x

Episode 7 is really screwing with my perception on things.

How?

cj_iwakura

Finally got my laptop back last week, so it's time to finally finish EP8.
The whole 1998 confuses the hell out of me, which parts that we saw in the previous episodes did actually happen? x__x

How?

Battler having a relationship with Shannon? WTF?

Oh that, I like how that was kinda foreshadowed since the very beginning, but back then it looked like a completely unimportant line.

No When They Cry 5? ;_;

Maybe this is it after all, disappointed as I am that this is no When They Cry 5, I cry.
Rose Guns Days, subtitled InternHertz no Naku Koro ni :(

In all seriousness though, I'm disappointed right now but I'll wait for details on the setting, story, characters, theme(s) etc before crying for real.
And who knows maybe after I'm done reading it I'll find it's in fact the best story ever? He DID give us Higurashi and Umineko after all (among others of course). I still have faith in him ^^

cj_iwakura

The executioner <3

Awesome song.

WIlllllllllllllll!

He better be back. :(

I'm not sure how 8 is going to go, but I have questions about the supposed choices.

How much do they affect? Easily backtracked to see other outcomes?

How many branches are we talking about here?

Top Bottom