• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Umineko no Naku Koro ni |OT| of Witches Trolling, Super Paper, and Small Bombs

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Was about to post that. O: Jargon from the translation team:
It has been almost 3 years I've worked on this project with many people, and for some reason I can't even describe such experience as these years that were so long passed like a flash.
I can't help but feel sort of relieved but also bitter since it is hard to have that impression that "that's it, we have done it!". Probably would have been different for a project which would be the same but on a shorter span (episodic structure doesn't help I guess).

Of course, things wouldn't have gone so well without all members of Witch Hunt who managed to keep it up. Those who helped us and still could see the end of our journey, I thank all of you for your help under the group name, however large or small your contribution was, each of them helped us to go that far. Regardless if you are no longer with us for this release, I personally am grateful for what you have done with us.

Suffice to say, the support and satisfaction of all fans was also a splendid sight to behold. I would be lying if we didn't feel satisfaction with all these thanks, but yet, it is the fact all of you were so curious, interested and looking forwards Ryukishi's latest tale that drove us to do our best.

As such, we of Witch Hunt would like to express our gratitude to all of you readers, who enjoyed Umineko no Naku Koro ni.

Well then, enough tchitchat I guess?

As promised, here is the tale that Ushiromiya Battler wanted to convey to his little sister. Now, this tale is finally available for everyone.
We of Witch Hunt are proud to announce that the complete patch for Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru - Episode 8: Twilight of the Golden Witch is finally available.

You can grab it here. Please select the appropriate installer depending of your OS:

More mirrors and nosinstaller versions can be found on our website.
Please note that we aren't going to remain idle, so if you notice any glitch, typo, mistakes etc, please don't hesitate and report them to us.

Note:
Old save state won't be available for this release. Therefore, we made a choice at the beginning of Episode 8 that will allow you to jump directly to the second half of the patch.

Specific note
: A known glitch will certainly occur at some point in Episode 8. It isn't that much of an issue, but we have no fix as of now.
The problem is as follow: At some point in the latter half of Episode 8, a certain character doll sheet will take the topmost layer displayed, which will cover even the menu HUB. Once the scene is over, everything works fine.

Wizpig

Yessss yesssssssssssss

Pw23a.jpg

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssss

Durante

So, exactly one year after ep 7. I'm looking forward to finally completing this. I'll certainly put all my gaming on the back burner.

weeaboo

bwahahah lastendconductor is playing now. It is one of those special Umineko moments
poooooor Bern ahahahha

i knew there would be choices for this last ep ( one of the reason this ep took longer to be translated than the usual ) ..but i wasn't expecting Those choices and this setting. i'm genuily confused ..

cj_iwakura

Guess it's time to start Episode 5! My netbook is ready.

(Though I've heard the story takes a different turn since one of Ryukishi's cohorts passed?...)

Well i finally finished this game ..

my feeligns are in disorder ..i think the author genuily succeeded in making me change my mind . Especially after EP 6 & 7.

i Finally found some sympathy for ANGE and for most of the cast actually... The PART 2 ep 8 was a nice change of pace even if it draggued for too long and there were quite a lot of OMG moments.

i was expecting a ending ,
i got 2 instead ..

Music was again top notch and EP 8 was a nice conclusion. i got hooked on umineko at EP 3 , and i have to admit this was a fun ride

JUST BY READING THAT MUCH , R_thanatos was able to reach this conclusion.
What do you think , everyone ?

Btw guys, don't forget Ryukishi is releasing a booklet or something with all the the answers to the mysteries next Comiket. (I need to finish by then...)

Honestly though, I'm not sure if I want him to reveal them, specially if it's like what he said about ep2's twilights...

Guess it's time to start Episode 5! My netbook is ready.

(Though I've heard the story takes a different turn since one of Ryukishi's cohorts passed?...)

Yes it does, but dunno if that's the reason why.

Chiru as a whole does a different thing then th first arc.

It's meant to give the answers, which is does. Though not in a direct way.
Btw guys, don't forget Ryukishi is releasing a booklet or something with all the the answers to the mysteries next Comiket. (I need to finish by then...)

Don't really see why he's doing so. Episode 7 gives pretty much all the answers we need.

weeaboo

Aaaaaaand done.

Ep 8 is a clusterfuck full of meta bullshit and stupid stuff
(a sea of goat-kun eating the island? dat simbolism ffs)
but.... I kinda liked it. It's not the most desirable ending but it's the ending Umineko (and us) deserves.

So long Rokkenjima, it was pretty fun. :*

Honestly though, I'm not sure if I want him to reveal them, specially if it's like what he said about ep2's twilights...

Tsubasa 2? I thought it was going to be another sound novel, we even have the
Black Battler
sprite :\

Chiru as a whole does a different thing then th first arc.

It's meant to give the answers, which is does. Though not in a direct way.

Don't really see why he's doing so. Episode 7 gives pretty much all the answers we need.
and EP 8 give us even more ( if that wasn't enough ).

After EP8 i don't need direct answers anymore so i'll stay clear of that book

My thoughts on the final episode of Umineko :
Finished Twilight of the Golden Witch.

Episode 8 would be my second favourite just after episode 5. Concerning the overaching plot, it doesn't really achieve a lot (well I consider ep 7 to be the final episode and ep 8 to be the epilogue), but there are some hints throughout the VN.
As for the story, I really liked it. You get to see every character of the series in really tense moments, and the music is still awesome.

Overall I found the series really great and consistent with its quality, even if the ending would stirr up part of the fanbase.

SPOILERS OF EP8 ENDING :

I don't know what I prefer...part of me still thinks "lol it was just a clock and the island just exploded, so it's not really anybody's fault" while the other thinks "it was just a false a murdrer game orchestrated by Yasu that turned very, very wrong. Well at least I'm convinced Eva didn't shot Battler and Battler isn't the culprit.
Also, I ultimately Battler's relationship with YasuShkannontrice really awkward to see in the ending...I mean, it's not like Battler doesn't know that he/she is half-aunt/uncle/cousin...ah well, wincest runs into Ushiromya's blood after all.

Finally got to watch the Epilogue ( last tea party ).. that was incredibly satisfying

Did the author just said F**k the haters and the rants within the game ? It was subtle within the EP8 story , but he went overboard to settle thing in the last part , one subtle message to his editor , another to the internet pools , ect ect .

Any last impressions , i liked the cat and mouse games with the riddles and i really wish for the cat box to stay closed ( he didn't plan to tell anyway )

My favorite piece is battler
My favorite Meta piece is Dlanor

Most cheated spell ever award goes to : Featherine ( WTF i'll kill you first , and then decide how i'll kill you )
Special mention to : Erika (Dupetape, catchphrase, perseverance, evil face)

Best witch award goes to : Beatrice
Most useless piece award : GOUDA
You're really Useless award : THE GOATS

cj_iwakura

One thing I'm curious about, from Episode, uh, 2or 3? Involving Virgilia.

When that servant revealed herself as Virgilia, is that really how it applies to all chapters, or was it just that particular game using her to screw with everyone?

Also, is she really batshit crazy as shown in Game 3-4, or was that just the game depicting her that way?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
That is all pretty much answered by the games itself but...
Virgilia is Kumasawa and her depiction in EP3 was how she wanted to be presented at the time to meet her goals.

Also Dlanor and Erika's Meta Moves are niceee. Erika's has a bit more work put into it than the others with animated CG crawling along side the building. It's also wonderful to hear Dlanor say her trademark death sentence~!

One thing I'm curious about, from Episode, uh, 2or 3? Involving Virgilia.

When that servant revealed herself as Virgilia, is that really how it applies to all chapters, or was it just that particular game using her to screw with everyone?

Also, is she really batshit crazy as shown in Game 3-4, or was that just the game depicting her that way?

One way to look at Virgilla is that she's the "magic" version of Kumasawa. A lot of the magic characters can be taken as incarnations or symbols of some real character.

Also, yeah, that was just her playing a role in Beato's game.

Oh yeah, Comiket was this weekend. Has there been any news about another motion graphic? I really really want 9 to come out already :(

So "Our Confession" is out, and it just basically confirms the most known/popular theories. You can have a look at it on animesuki forums.

It certainly wasn't what I expected it to be, but still a nice and informative read.
Since that was nothing like any of the games we saw, could that have been Land?

Oh yeah, Comiket was this weekend. Has there been any news about another motion graphic? I really really want 9 to come out already :(

9 was never planned ( 8th episode is the end ) . if you want more you could get a "confession book" with you if you buy ougon & the author new work.

Anyway umineko is 8 episodes. and that won't change.

weeaboo

9 was never planned ( 8th episode is the end ) . if you want more you could get a "confession book" with you if you buy ougon & the author new work.

Anyway umineko is 8 episodes. and that won't change.

I was talking about this

(ep7 spoilers)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBWPEuzy-ks

From the animesuki forums

http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost.php?p=3926426&postcount=1979

The staff was present for this comiket and they apologized as they couldnt have their project done for this c81.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Witch Hunt had met up with 07th Expansion and here's their write up which briefly mentions a new series for Summer Comiket:

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?p=3928681#post3928681
My apologies for the lack of answers recently: as I implied on twitter and my profile, I'm currently having a blast in Japan, and recently came back alive from this comiket.

Anyway, chrono and I managed to get a meeting with Ryukishi07 this 30th december, thanks to a representative from Hobibox.
Truth to be told, it was nothing but huge tension prior talking with him, considering none of us couldn't imagine ourselves in touch with him before, let alone meeting him in person.

We could visit their usual workplace (which you might have seen it in various video interviews), and it was basically the same as ever. We were invited to sit down around the table, and immediately treated with tea and... a huge present bag (I've already put a pic on my twitter account, but in a nutshell: the C81 set + original ougon musou kyoku, a plushie (got beato, chrono got maria), some rubber key chains, a beato protrait clear file, higurashi postcards, Ange's dakimakura from alchemist (:heh:), clear posters of the first 2 magic circles, the first 2 tomes of Episode 6 manga and the first one of Episode 7, and even some english Higurashi manga, and finally a tapestry of Bern by Alchemist).
Color me quite startled by this: nowhere in hell we were expecting such warm welcome, and I was a bit embarassed that I could only brought some belgian artisanal chocolates OTZ.

Anyway, we could talk casually even though I and Chrono were frozen solid like statues at the beginning. Ryukishi was a bit curious about our respective japanese knowledge, how the group was made, and the difficulties we had: as we expected, Ryukishi definitely didn't expect the occidental fanbase to be interested by his series, therefore, the Epitaph wasn't made in a way that non japanese readers could decipher it without japanese knowledge.
Following the topic, we also explained how Higurashi was a foothold and cornerstone for 07th Expansion popularity in the english speaking community, which again surprised him, although the whole team couldn't help but let out a guffaw when we explained that the main appeal of the anime were..."killer lolis / violence / blood".
By the way, 07th Expansion weren't the ones who decided the use of French for Ougon Musou Kyoku, but the team who were responsible of the game design, as it "sounded cool". In fact they didn't really get what I was talking about until "blitz" screen was mentioned, and they were laughing hard when I explained few awkward "flench" (such like "le cri du chat de la mer" :heh:)

We also managed to get few interesting tidbits from Ryukishi: such like his job before he started writing Higurashi. He also confirmed few things and explained others: as expected, the whole Ange, Kyrie and Assumu naming sense were from Ragnarok Online, which he admitted that he played it quite a bit.
However, the EVA ANGE LION was purely a coincidence: he was thinking hard for genderless foreign name, and for some reason, only Lion could ring well for him, although he knew that the name would rather considered as "male" due to the animal. It is only afterwards he read on some bulletin board about this pun and couldn't help but be embarassed due to this coincidence.

He also talked a bit about his future plans, and as he already mentioned, Higanbana was only a little break for him, therefore, the second part of Higanbana will be the last one for now, and he will make another series for this summer comiket. However, we can't give any more details, as it has to be kept secret. Fortunately, you probably will have more news in the future, sooner or later.

The meeting roughly lasted 1-2 hours, but it was really great: it was quite a friendly chat and we were exchanging our impressions so far, etc. I may missed few details but it is very likely chrono can supplement few points I didn't mention.

Finally, Ryukishi wanted to sign something for us. That said, I went overboard and came with the jackets of all of my 7th expansion VN games (which means Higu, Higu Kai, Umi, Umi Chiru), but gave it a rest, since I think it was a tad greedy either way (Ryukishi was quite startled to see me with all of the game covers :heh:)
In the end, he signed on our Bern tapestry, and it seems we were the first one for this.

Before leaving, an idea surged immediately in my mind, considering that opportunity and asked if we could take a picture of him. Obvious result:
Ah6WDpLCIAIozhI.jpg

Chronotrig, Ryukishi07, and me
(don't mind my hair: going to the comiket before meeting him took a huge toll on me :heh:)

Frankly, it was something I would call a miracle of Bern caliber, even though we were in touch with him before. Past that, there were so many things going through my head before, during and after the meeting I can't describe it properly (that's also why I didn't post the very day we met him).

cj_iwakura

I'm working on the Episode 5 trial, so I'm just wondering(feel free to ignore me if I'm predicting correctly) :

Why hasn't someone accused Erika yet? Or maybe that'll be Battler's turnabout.

I'm working on the Episode 5 trial, so I'm just wondering(feel free to ignore me if I'm predicting correctly) :

Why hasn't someone accused Erika yet? Or maybe that'll be Battler's turnabout.

Dunno if you've gotten to this part yet, but it's not much of a spoiler (hell, I don't even think it is, but just in case)
[red]Knox's 7th commandment: It is forbidden for the detective to be the culprit[/red]

Top Bottom