• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Umineko no Naku Koro ni |OT| of Witches Trolling, Super Paper, and Small Bombs

cj_iwakura

That could be it.

Also, the hi-res art from the PS3 I saw has me spoiled.

But it's manageable. I enjoy the music. Very classy.

cj_iwakura

I see what you all meant about the expressions during the siblings' meeting regarding the inheritance. Icy.

Uh, how far into Episode 1 am I? :p

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
cj_iwakura said:
I see what you all meant about the expressions during the siblings' meeting regarding the inheritance. Icy.

Uh, how far into Episode 1 am I? :p
Well it doesn't look like you hit the first twilight yet so I'd say about 20% in?

Wizpig

Just wanted to say that Episode 6 is awesome and i'm going to start 7 in the near future.

Do we have a date for the 100% patch of episode 8?

Wizpig

Being
Italian myself,
Episode 7 is
even more touching up to now. truly touching. i feel bad for Kinzo.

When I read "Lion-san", though, i was like "wait, i thought he was a she..."

Wizpig said:
Being
Italian myself,
Episode 7 is
even more touching up to now. truly touching. i feel bad for Kinzo.

When I read "Lion-san", though, i was like "wait, i thought he was a she..."
Lion's gender is deliberately left ambiguous.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
EP8 50% patch out~!
This is probably all too similar to last year, but as I explained before, our pace was slowed down big time, except I daresay the conditions were even less favorable, yet we could work bits to bits (hence why I considered that as "smoothly", even though people expect it in some other way).
In a way, after contemplating the very start of our project, it wouldn't be far from the truth if we consider ourselves being tormented by pesky witches, due to the numerous incidents involving translations and the likes. :heh:

Anyway, thanks for your patience, here is again the catbox, but presented by Battler this time around. As promised, we are releasing a first partial patch of Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru, Episode 8: Twilight of the golden witch.
This patch covers 50% of this episode.

As usual, You can grab the new patch on our website. Please check this link (build: version 4.0).

Please note that due to various circumstances, the purchasable download version of Episode 8 won't be available until next week. Our apologies for the inconvenience.

Again, should you notice typos, mistakes, glitches and so forth, please do not hesitate reporting them here.

さぁッ、ショーターイム!!!

cj_iwakura

So uh, just finished Episode 1. I think?

There's only one ending, right?

I'm not sure how Episode 2 works if so.

I guess I'll find out if I ever get it working. :p It wouldn't run on my computer, but the demo did without a problem.

Go figure.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
cj_iwakura said:
So uh, just finished Episode 1. I think?

There's only one ending, right?

I'm not sure how Episode 2 works if so.

I guess I'll find out if I ever get it working. :p It wouldn't run on my computer, but the demo did without a problem.

Go figure.
Pretty much! They are kinetic novels so pretty much no choice paths. Make sure you read the Tea Party and the ???? tea party for witches before proceeding to Episode 2. Episode 2 is where things start getting more interesting!

You should just get Episode 4 it contains 1-4 and the English patch installer will remove the requirement of being in Japanese Locale which is likely the problem.
http://witch-hunt.com/stage4d.html

cj_iwakura

InfiniteNine said:
Pretty much! They are kinetic novels so pretty much no choice paths. Make sure you read the Tea Party and the ???? tea party for witches before proceeding to Episode 2. Episode 2 is where things start getting more interesting!

You should just get Episode 4 it contains 1-4 and the English patch installer will remove the requirement of being in Japanese Locale which is likely the problem.
http://witch-hunt.com/stage4d.html

I did have 1-4, but none of them would work when I ran the patch. It gave me the locale error.

And yet the demo ran without a hitch. I assume because it was prepatched.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
cj_iwakura said:
I did have 1-4, but none of them would work when I ran the patch. It gave me the locale error.

And yet the demo ran without a hitch. I assume because it was prepatched.
That could be it. The installer renames the Japanese files on the disk and edits the script accordingly so it will run on standard US locale. Did you install it from the patch or from the disk? If you are in your default locale you should install the game from the patch.

The other option is just switching to Japanese locale.

cj_iwakura

I tried that, and it never worked. :( But I'll figure something out.

I guess the Tea Party segment is the 'this is how real things are about to get' teaser for Episode 2.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
cj_iwakura said:
I tried that, and it never worked. :( But I'll figure something out.

I guess the Tea Party segment is the 'this is how real things are about to get' teaser for Episode 2.
After looking it up again it looks like you need to at least install the game in Japanese locale for it to work for I reason of having the filenames being readable I suppose. What OS are you running? I can probably walk you through it or you can try to get it installed via Applocale.

cj_iwakura

InfiniteNine said:
After looking it up again it looks like you need to at least install the game in Japanese locale for it to work for I reason of having the filenames being readable I suppose. What OS are you running? I can probably walk you through it or you can try to get it installed via Applocale.

XP.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
cj_iwakura said:
Yeah, you will have to install via Japanese Locale or Applocale. If you have your Windows XP installation disk you can install it by putting it in and going to: go to Control Panel > Date, Time, Language, Regonal Settings > Add Other Language > Install Files for East Asian Languages.

If not you can probably do this:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101102181643AAJDVLV

Afterwards you switch your non-unicode settings to Japanese and you're done.

Here is a guide to setting the unicode/locale settings:
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=60120

weeaboo

I don't know exactly where to put this but I think this is a good place. First screens from the new Ryukishi's Sound Novel, Higanbana no Saku Yoru ni. It will be released during Comiket 80

http://www.office-mk.co.jp/pcshop/special/higanbana.html

eDZkj.jpg

ZqeLF.jpg

They look as good as always, I kinda like the new shading style. I hope dai and zts are in this one too.

Oh cool, we can finally see how it'll turn out. I really like the style/design for the mysterious dude and Moriya Marie (well if it is her anyway), but Higanbana's one is weird ^^

weeabo said:
I hope dai and zts are in this one too.

I'm really looking forward to the soundtrack...Umineko's was GODLY and Higanbana sure has a lot to live up to. Please be good!

cj_iwakura

Good god was Episode 2's resolution efffed up.

But that tea party finale was beautiful.

Looks delicious. Slice up those cow tits and make some pie.

Battler never disappoints. I can see all the little awesome nods the fighting game has in it, like the goat faced hordes.

Heh, speaking of nods the fighting game does, now that you finished EP2, doesn't the hall with the portrait stage remind you of something while in the metaworld?

weeaboo said:
I don't know exactly where to put this but I think this is a good place. First screens from the new Ryukishi's Sound Novel, Higanbana no Saku Yoru ni. It will be released during Comiket 80

http://www.office-mk.co.jp/pcshop/special/higanbana.html

http://i.imgur.com/eDZkj.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ZqeLF.jpg

They look as good as always, I kinda like the new shading style. I hope dai and zts are in this one too.

I missed this when it was first posted. Man, Ryukishi sure is improving his art, that shading looks really nice. Btw, Higanbana pretty much comes out today/tomorrow, right? I still don't know if I want to read it though...

cj_iwakura

I'm not sure why the VN would be on the PS3 but the fighting game would be on the 360. WTF.

Also, I've changed my tune regarding the art; mediocre or not, I love Ryukishi's expressions. The subtle things change a character's appearance greatly.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
cj_iwakura said:
I'm not sure why the VN would be on the PS3 but the fighting game would be on the 360. WTF.

Also, I've changed my tune regarding the art; mediocre or not, I love Ryukishi's expressions. The subtle things change a character's appearance greatly.
Alchemist flip flopping around like chickens with their heads cut off about platforms is strange and not to mention they are porting an outdated version of the game that will be replaced in December with Ougon+.

Ryukishi's expressions really make some scenes which is why I've always said PC Sprites> PS3 Sprites.

cj_iwakura said:

Indeed. Ryukishi's psychological insight makes itself clear in his faces as well as his writing.

cj_iwakura said:

I'd imagine PC->360 is easier and cheaper than PC->PS3 and maybe they just don't want to spend a single yen more than necessary *shrugs* I won't complain since I don't have a PS3 and I don't think I'll have one any time soon if ever.

Also, yeah, the expressions are really what makes Ryukishi's art as entertaining as it is.

cj_iwakura

Are any of the underplayed 'gruesome' scenes more detailed on PS3? They managed to make them cringe-inducing without showing a thing, that's for sure.

Those goat teeth. Brr.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
cj_iwakura said:
Are any of the underplayed 'gruesome' scenes more detailed on PS3? They managed to make them cringe-inducing without showing a thing, that's for sure.

Those goat teeth. Brr.
Well the voices and the occasionally CG enhance it a bit especially the voice, but in terms of the
Goatmen's teeth
they kinda slowed down the rate of it flashing which kinda made the end of EP2 less awesome.

SolarKnight said:
Well, I know we actually get to see some of the corpses in it, but since I don't have it I don't really know.

Also, I dunno if this can go here, but the fighting game now has our favorite ductape-lover intellectual rapist :D
http://imgur.com/a/lJGtR#1wHGh

and Dlanor.
Winter comiket cant come soon enough!

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
SolarKnight said:
So, we don't get to see any of this for example?

(Ep1 spoilers/pretty gruesome)

(same but for EP2)[/url]

...man, the manga really is the most gruesome version .___.
Yes to the EP1 scene and probably for the EP2 scene. It's been a while since I've played the PS3 version so I don't remember it too well. I'll throw in the game and check the CG section.

cj_iwakura

SolarKnight said:
So, we don't get to see any of this for example?

(Ep1 spoilers/pretty gruesome)
http://www.mangafox.com/manga/umine..._1_legend_of_the_golden_witch/v02/c008/4.html

(same but for EP2)
http://www.mangafox.com/manga/umine...isode_2_turn_of_the_golden_witch/c016/16.html

...man, the manga really is the most gruesome version .___.

EDIT: Oh yeah, forgot to ask, the motion graphic 9 should be out, right? Any idea how long they usually take to get uploaded?

Wow, they don't pull any punches.

Also, is there a demo for Golden Fantasia? (Or whatever the heck it's called.)

Thanks. Then, am I correct in assuming that for all the twilights they only show a little of it so that you know something happened, but never enough for it to look gruesome? They must still rely on the blood effect for that then.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
SolarKnight said:
Thanks. Then, am I correct in assuming that for all the twilights they only show a little of it so that you know something happened, but never enough for it to look gruesome?
Well you'll pretty much know what happens for most of them but it is only slightly gruesome, but that is where the voice work and music come in to enhance the situation a lot more. The VA cast really did a great job bringing the characters to life in the intense scenes.

cj_iwakura

Does Episode 4 conclude an arc at all, or does it just set up for even bigger things in 5-7?

And Golden Fantasia seems awesome, I'd import the heck out of a PS3 version.

Top Bottom