• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: NeoGAF 2011 Starcraft II OPEN Tournament

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
YakiSOBA said:
How do I know what the player code of my opponent is, so I can scope him/her out?

EDIT: nvm found!

And also, I assume we're all going to be meeting in the neogaf chatroom at 6pst/9est and we'll get started from there? Some games won't have any observers I guess.

Lathentar 413, your ass is mine!!! :)
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/profile/932027/1/Lathentar/
Let's see how this goes. I have a softball game at 8:20 CT that will last until 9:30ish. Sorry that I'll be a little late, I'll be online by 10:15 pm ready to play.

Guessing this is you: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/profile/1551898/1/dHo/

IceMarker

Try and get your Bo3 qualifiers tonight or tomorrow guys around 6pm PDT (9pm EST)

But you have until Monday. Report to me with replays if I can't Obs your match.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Halycon post what race you're going to play if you could? you picked two on the registration thread

makes it hard for Aon and I to train!

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Hrm, well, close enough I guess. I'll sponsor the tournament with $100 towards the prize pool.

IceMarker

EviLore said:
Hrm, well, close enough I guess. I'll sponsor the tournament with $100 towards the prize pool.
That is some big news for this tournament, thank you so much! Now we can have a decent prize pool worked up! :D

EviLore I'll shoot you a PM with some details.

Paz

I will be online as much as possible over the next few days Hazard, hopefully we can get our games played.

If you have a preferred time just let me know, I'm in Australia so lets make this work!

Also I would've played some ladder games if I'd known how seeding was going to work, sorry one of us has to go! May the best player win.

IceMarker

In light of EviLore's generosity, I have revealed the still-fluctuating prize pool in the OP slightly earlier than originally intended.
Head over to the first page to see the updated first post along with the new Donator list.

@Paz, in about 14 hours it will be 6pm PDT (9pm EST) for the American and Canadian players, Hazard should be up to play tonight around that time.

Also, I'd like to clarify and note that the higher ranked you are on the NA Blizzard ladders the higher chance you have of being bumped back into the tournament even if you've lost your qualifier if a pair of players do not play their qualifiers at all before Monday.
(Ex. Aon and Halycon do not play their qualifiers at all so two slots are open, leaving Meeru and Feep to jump back into the Round of 32 of the main tournament.)

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
im starting to get excited, i want to beat procarbines zvz build so bad. :D

just 2 weeks and one body in the way!

Paz

MrMister said:
@Paz, in about 14 hours it will be 6pm PDT (9pm EST) for the American and Canadian players, Hazard should be up to play tonight around that time.

Also, I'd like to clarify and note that the higher ranked you are on the Blizzard ladders the higher chance you have of being bumped back into the tournament even if you've lost your qualifier if a pair of players do not play their qualifiers at all before Monday.
(Ex. Aon and Halycon do not play their qualifiers at all so two slots are open, leaving Meeru and Feep to jump back into the Round of 32 of the main tournament.)

In 14 hours I'll be at work on a friday morning :p But my saturday morning would be fine.

Also you might want to clarify you mean the North American blizzard ladder in that second bit :)

IceMarker

Paz said:
In 14 hours I'll be at work on a friday morning :p But my saturday morning would be fine.

Also you might want to clarify you mean the North American blizzard ladder in that second bit :)
Fixed and I guess Hazard will have to work out a time with ya! :p

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Paz said:
I will be online as much as possible over the next few days Hazard, hopefully we can get our games played.

If you have a preferred time just let me know, I'm in Australia so lets make this work!

Also I would've played some ladder games if I'd known how seeding was going to work, sorry one of us has to go! May the best player win.
Night time tonight should be good. (6pm-12am PST).

If you have mumble just hop on the chat and there should be people on.

*Hmm, Friday night maybe. It would be later on for sure though.

ezrarh

That's interesting, I have the potential to play Vautrin in the second round..ehh. Anyway, time to train up since there are prizes now!! <3 EviLore

zlatko

Banned
Shagg I'll be online for the next 12 hours. PM me or drop a line here or the SC2 thread if you can play our games today.

Haunted

Major tournament next to GSL/MLG/TSL/IEM confirmed.

Now that the prize pool is officially > $100, I think it's eligible for the tournament calendar on TL, right? They recently changed the criteria to weed out the smaller tourneys that kept cropping up.

Paz

Hazaro said:
Night time tonight should be good. (6pm-12am PST).

If you have mumble just hop on the chat and there should be people on.

*Hmm, Friday night maybe. It would be later on for sure though.

I can try and do it in about 3 hours 45 minutes during my lunch break as well, or sometime over the next 30 minutes before I leave for work :p

We'll make it happen!

Aon

MrMister said:

We've been bumped back have we? Shame. It inspired me to actually play instead of watching GSL and I went 2-0 against a bronze and gold leauger in my US placements.

Perhaps I should take my demotion as a sign that I should keep playing to qualy for the next one!

Also, is it other people's experience that the US ladder is fairly rude? Niether of my two opponents GG'd today.

IceMarker

Aon said:
We've been bumped back have we? Shame. It inspired me to actually play instead of watching GSL and I went 2-0 against a bronze and gold leauger in my US placements.

Perhaps I should take my demotion as a sign that I should keep playing to qualy for the next one!

Also, is it other people's experience that the US ladder is fairly rude? Niether of my two opponents GG'd today.
That was an example, I'm saying in the example in the event you DON'T PLAY AT ALL Meeru would be bounced back because he is higher ranked.

BigAT

Aone/a176, I was on at 8:30-9:15 EST and didn't see you on at all. Going out now for my roommate's birthday so I guess we'll try to play this tomorrow.

fatty

Corran Horn said:
Streaming games atm
http://justin.tv/corran666

No cast, just casual obs'ing with mumble open.

Thanks for setting this up, I want to head down and actually observe through SC2, but I'm so comfy here in bed.

Edit: Ha ha, so much debating about how the seedings of the brackets are set up.

Keikaku

I guess you forgot about my $50 chip-in to the prize pool, Mister :(

Since we already have a cash prize courtesy of Evilore I'll offer the following: a choice of either 2 T-shirts or 1 hoodie from The Handsome Nerd

The clothes will be ordered on March 1st at the earliest.

Aon

So far we have some results. All the starting games are played on Xelnaga Caverns, which is why I neglect to mention the map sometimes.

Bruce (T) vs Dizzy (T)

Dizzy took game one on Xel'Naga caverns with a massive lead, throwing Bruce off his early game with some good expansion play. Bruce later chalked this up to his nerves, being watched by so many people.

He calmed down for game two on Lost Temple, although his macro was still falling behind Dizzy's, who had a greater army and SCV count. However, Bruce had a plan. He proxied a factory up to the cliffs of Dizzy's natural and turreted up for a while, before finally making a seige tank. Dizzy responded quickly by sending his marines to the cliff edge, but they couldn't reach the tank and died in scores. By the time Dizzy managed to unseat the tank, it had 33 kills. With the aid of that tank, Bruce had equalized the SCV count, although he was still 30 supply down in army count. He expanded to his gold and turtled up, sieging a bunch of tanks on his high ground, which Dizzy happily walked into and promptly lost his army. While this was happening Bruce had snuck a whole bunch of vikings into the natural of Dizzy and killed all of his SCVs. At 5 SCVs to 40 and one base down, it was GG. 1-1

It was game three, and both players had everything to lose. Not only their spot in the round of 32, but also the image that their respective wins had been flukes. With that, Dizzy decisively picked Steppes of War so that he could cheese Bruce to death. He wanted that win bad. But MrMr calmly informed him that Steppes was not the in the pool, so we played of Metalopolis instead.

I honestly can't remember what happened in this match, but Bruce won and progressed to the round of 32. I should start keeping notes.

Game 2: Aon The Handsome Random Player vs the Evil Protoss Probe All in Halycon!

The crux of both these games is that Halycon made some early mistake and then I clumsily out macro'd him with my advantage. In both games he made a really good counterpush in the mid game but I always had too many units, whether they were mutas or stalkers. GG

Game 3 DisTanT (T) vs Unbecoming (Z)

This was a pretty impressive game between two Masters league players, a huge contrast to our previous silver level games. DisTanT put on some early non blue flame hellion harassment, which was countered by some early spine crawlers. DisTant's true plan of course, was to transition into cloaked banshees but Unbecoming had his number, morphing an overseer as soon as he saw the hellions and had an extra queen lying around. He fended the first banshee off pretty easily, but when that damaged banshee hooked up with the second banshee things got nasty, accumulating ~ 15 drone kills between them. Despite this, our zerg player managed to keep his drone and base count up macroing like a madman. Although he didn't manage to harass much, his mighty MutaLing play destroyed a few armies of DisTanTs and things were looking good. DisTantT transitioned into pretty heavy Thor play, which eventually won him the game when the MutaLing ball of Unbecoming attacked into too many thors at once. GG!

After this game, unbecoming said some unkind things about the state of the game's balance and forfeited.

Game 4 :Terp (T) vs ZealousD (P)

Terp won the first game on Xelnaga with a convincing marine marauder timing attack against a lack of warp gates on ZealousD's behalf. Everyone went into game two excited for more high level play, only to be greeted with a crash from Terp's machine. He'd been talking about how unstable his new motherboard was for some time and it seemed to be true. About 5 attempts at hosting later, it was decided to postpone the game, although an extra loss was awarded to Terp for having a bad motherboard.

Game 5: HolyCheck (Sythzor, Sythblade22) as Terran vs Scogoth as Protoss

Now myself and Check went to a lot of effort for this game, and scouted out the builds of Scogoth. It turns out that he went DT most recently, so Check prepared for that with an early E bay and some scanning around to find the Temple, if it went up.

It did. Check scanned it when it was half way built, and already had a nice tight wall in and an Ebay. Things couldn't have been better. Then Check proceeded to make no turrets and save no scans, somehow. GG!

After the game, it was revealed that Check never actually looked at his scan, so didn't know about the DTs.

Check got to choose the map and picked Scrap Station, where he would try a blue flame hellion drop, a build he had had success with in the past. No one scouted each other, and everything was tense. Scogoth went for a Void Ray rush, and things were looking bad for Check, who had missed a few timings with his hellions.

Also he had researched 250mm Strike Cannons from the Tech Lab instead of Blue Flame. That would have been a nasty surprise when he got there. Not that he ever had the chance. 3 voids turned up on his doorstep and it was GG.

Game 6: MrMister playing Random vs Ultron as Protsss

This game is still ongoing, although Mr Mr is currently one match down. He rolled Zerg and couldn't stand up to Stark's pressure on his Expo. Once that went down, it was all over. GG!

Set two on Junk Yard was one of the messiest games of the tournament so far. Mr Mister rolled Zerg again, and went for a ferocious RoachLing timing attack against the backdoor entrance of Ultron's main. He found success for a time and succeeded in getting the rocks, but the cost of such pressure on his Drones was ultimately too high and Ultron eventually rolled over him. Ultron also orchestrated an amazing drop, where he warp prismed two immortals behind the mineral line and managed to kill of MM's spire in no time at all. GG!

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Mr, I know you and panda and whoever else have put a lot of hours into figuring out the brackets, but how on earth is it ok that the top two master league players are not only on the same side of the bracket, but right next to each other?

Top Bottom