• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: NeoGAF 2011 Starcraft II OPEN Tournament

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Procarbine said:
Mr, I know you and panda and whoever else have put a lot of hours into figuring out the brackets, but how on earth is it ok that the top two master league players are not only on the same side of the bracket, but right next to each other?
because there's a third master leaguer on the other side of the bracket. >_> and its double elim anyway.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Pandaman said:
because there's a third master leaguer on the other side of the bracket. >_> and its double elim anyway.

Then put him on the other side of the top? Right next to each other?

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Pandaman said:
You put 1 and 2 as far away as possible and 3 and 4 far away but on same side. So they dont need until like 3rd round.

Aon

Game 8 Devil (T) vs ForeverEnder (P)

The first game between Devil and Ender opened fairly standard, with a fast robotics facility from Forever from which he pumped immortals for the entire game. He combined the immortals with sentries and feigned early pressure on Devil, allowing him to get a pretty early fast expansion. Devil started up the traditional marine marauder ball, although he mixed in a ghost or two. Pushing up the map, he left his main army behind and ran forward with the ghosts, getting a fantastic EMP off which knocked the shields off all the immortals. His army gave chase to eliminate the Protoss, but some fantastic forcefields stopped the Terran army in its tracks.

Devil threw down two E bays while Ender threw down two Robo Facilities, for faster immortal production. They expanded to their respective gold bases simultaneously. Sensing the base going up, Ender changed his Colossus Immortal ball down to the third base, annihilating it in a matter of seconds. At the same time, a marine drop was headed for the protoss base, where Ender had nothing to defend. Ender pushed further down to Devil's natural though, and despite having the only military units in the protoss base, he couldn't multi task well enough to capitalise. The toss ball crushed through the main terran army and that was GG for the first game.

Set 2

Devil tried to go steppes of war for the 2nd game, but it wasn't going to fly and the game ended up on Lost Temple, where they spawned in cross positions.Devil opened with a Maka Rax, which was promptly spotted as all good maka raxes are and transitioned that into an early expansion instead. Ender was going for a 3 gate into Stargate Void Ray rush, supported by the gateway units. It would have worked too if it wasn't for double bunkers thrown down by the terran, who now had a 1 expo lead.

Devil, with a temporary lead threw down three starports, while Ender expanded desperately to try and stay in the game. He stopped making VRs and built a robo instead, to try and observor what those starports were for. Devil went for double banshees with reactored vikings on the side, and dicided to push out with a strong two base build. The protoss had built exactly the right army though, and his mix of stalkers with stalkers easily defeated the army of Devil. To capatilise on his temporary lead, Forever got to wrok on colosuss while Devil diversified into ghosts and ravens. Both players expanded, toss to the gold and devil to the bottom natural.

Devil then built a fusion core and two armories. Because he's that baller. He quickly got all the upgrades for his BCs but failed to make more than one, although he still maintained a commanding 50 supply lead. 40 of that was in SCVs though and pretty soon Devil started suiciding SCVs into the Protoss army to free up supply. However, he continued making SCVs while he was sending them to their deaths, in a move no one understood. Forever had a commanding army of DTs, Void Rays and Colossi and promptly rolled over Devil's southernmost base. However his army was trapped in there and got taken out in the choke outside the natural. Devil now had 150 supply to Ender's paltry 70. Devil finally remembered that he had all the upgrades for BCs and seven were promptly made. These seven bcs caught Ender unaware and destroyed his zealot heavy army. GG

Set 3

It was time to settle things. Both had played well in one game, not so hot in another. Shakuras Plateau would lay all complaints to rest. Spawning at cross positions, Devil went for an aggressive two rax wallin, one of the few tight wall ins people go for. Once he scouted that he was cross positions though, he quickly built two bunkers at his expo and expanded, not even floating the CC down to the expo.

Forever proxied a Stargate not 20m from Devi's base, alongside a pylong and started pressuring the ramp. Great forcefields prevented repairs on one of the bunker, and that went down. A void ray popped out of the starport, catching devil off guard. As the marines ran from the ramp to defend against the VR, the toss army tried to take the ramp, but was repusled. The VR harass would not be stopped however, and no rax could finish being built before the ray's got to the scvs. The 2 pronged attack on the ramp failed again, but Ender eventually just ran the stalkers into the base, decimating the SCV line alongside the rays. GG, 2-1 to Forever Ender.

Mystery

Great write-up. During the second set, I wasn't prepared for the double bunkers by the fast expo, and didn't have a backup plan. I cut probes in order to deal with the counter attack, but couldn't ever catch up to Devil's boss economy. I started running out of gas after I lost my main army at the 6 o clock expansion, and just dumped my minerals into zealots.

I was also really nervous in all 3 games, and got myself supply blocked quite a few times. I'm pretty angry at myself about that.

IceMarker

All in all today was a fantastic day!

Today, we got to 10/20 matches complete, with only 3 days left to do qualifiers left, time is running short so be online in SCII in the next 3 nights to get your qualifier done with your opponent!
Also, we have two new donators, Scogoth and Keikaku have donated $50 NewEgg gift card and apparel from HandsomeNerd.com to the Grand Prize, respectively.

Here is the official qualifier stage post if you didn't see it the first time.

EDIT: Qualifier post has been updated along with the OP.

zlatko

Banned
MrMister said:
All in all today was a fantastic day!

Today, we got to 10/20 matches complete, with only 3 days left to do qualifiers left, time is running short so be online in SCII in the next 3 nights to get your qualifier done with your tournament!
Also, we have two new donators, Scogoth and Keikaku have donated $50 NewEgg gift card and apparel from HandsomeNerd.com to the Grand Prize, respectively.

Here is the official qualifier stage post if you didn't see it the first time.

Grand Prize winner gonna be looking fresh in his new digs in the comfort of a basement somewhere; nerd posture and all.

Forever-Alone.jpg

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Ok I need to do things in the morning, but will sometime between 12-2pm PST work? It's Saturday for you.
Again, just chill in GAF mumble.

Trasher

Damn. This seems like a lot of fun. Wish I would have seen this sooner. I may have started to knock some rust off and started playing this game again. I don't think I've played since October after I held the number one rank for a week in my diamond division, and then got bored with the game since I couldn't rank up any higher. Is there plans for another one of these tournaments once this one finishes?

YakiSOBA

Hey Lathentar, sorry I couldn't make it last night man :(

Let me know (PM or here) when is a good time for you, and I'll try to accommodate your time. I'm in EST.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Trasher said:
Damn. This seems like a lot of fun. Wish I would have seen this sooner. I may have started to knock some rust off and started playing this game again. I don't think I've played since October after I held the number one rank for a week in my diamond division, and then got bored with the game since I couldn't rank up any higher. Is there plans for another one of these tournaments once this one finishes?

MrMister said words of in summer for the next big one

but theres gaf nights every week, wednesday 6pm EST! (or one of your time zones)

and there will be some mini tourneys im sure

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
YakiSOBA said:
Hey Lathentar, sorry I couldn't make it last night man :(

Let me know (PM or here) when is a good time for you, and I'll try to accommodate your time. I'm in EST.
I was waiting on you man! All pumped up to go. :(

Anyways, father in law in town tonight so I can't play. Saturday afternoon or sometime Sunday will work for me. Either of those days work for you?

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Trasher said:

Tournament would've been so much better with you here.

THE HYPE

zlatko

Banned
shagg_187 said:
Oh shit! I'm in? Nice! :D

Outlaw, I wouldn't mind facing you during the weekend when all is well and good! :)

ev2icw.png

I'll be on tonight and tomorrow for sure. Sunday past is sketchy. Please sign on when you can.

Elcheris

Neo Member
Hey I have a small concern about this coming up Thursday's matches. I'm playing in qualifiers for another tournament from 1-6pm pst and chances are it may go a bit later than that. Do we have to play the matches right at 6 or is it ok if I am available a bit after?

IceMarker

Elcheris said:
Hey I have a small concern about this coming up Thursday's matches. I'm playing in qualifiers for another tournament from 1-6pm pst and chances are it may go a bit later than that. Do we have to play the matches right at 6 or is it ok if I am available a bit after?
You might be on Ro32 Day 2 Elcheris since you're in the lower half of the bracket, in the event you do play this Thursday, I've always said anytime between 6pm and 1am is good.

DisTanT

Neo Member
Elcheris said:
Yo, what race do you play? It's not on the registration thread.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Ok I'm off again, was hoping 12-2 was doable.

Dunno how late I can be up in 10-14 hours from now (10-2amPST) since I have to do some work on Sat.

Maybe My Saturday/ your Sunday is better?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Paz said:
Well it's my saturday 9:23 now, and I can be on anytime over the next ~14 hours pretty easily.
Ok how about 8-9PM PST then? I'm flexible in that time period as well so it can be shifted a touch later if you need it to be.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
hype!

haz is the great surrogate Canadian hope and paz wants to prove non-NA players are worth paying attention to! HEAVEN OR HELL.

ezrarh

I am happy to announce that procarbine will donate 5 dollars to the prizepool on my behalf because he owes me money.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Pandaman said:
hype!

haz is the great surrogate Canadian hope and paz wants to prove non-NA players are worth paying attention to! HEAVEN OR HELL.

*cheers*

already logged onto sc2 just so I don't miss it

Striek

Kryor, haven't caught you online yet, I'll be on tomorrow from 6pm EST (10am local) or the next couple hours as well.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
the 'great hope' of SEA, paz, has spent the last 2 hours playing 15+ 4gate games on the ladder.

>___>

are we being trolled?

Paz

4gate is the fastest way to get into masters on my NA account, the games are short and I can probably win 75+% regardless of what my opponents do.

Doesn't mean that's what I do in a real game :p

Top Bottom