• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf 2014 Backlog Blitz - Success is not final, failure is not fatal.

MadSexual

August/September/Semi-October update:

It was a slow August, and I didn't actually finish anything in September, but now I'm powering through the first part of October.

MadSexual's Backloggery

Beat in August-October: 5

* Far Cry 3 (8/12)
* Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition (10/2)
* I Am Alive (10/6)
* Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs (10/11)
* Dust: An Elysian Tail (10/13)

I also finished both Dishonored DLCs, but I'm assuming we don't count those?

Bought in August-October: 3

* The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition
* Monkey Island 2: Special Edition
* Deadly Premonition: Director's Cut

I also bought Lethal League, but it has no win state and I'm already satisfied with the time I've put into it (though I'll definitely play even more of it), so that cancels out.

Total beaten in 2014: 34
Total bought in 2014: 21

Total Score: +13

Previous updates:

Sora_N

Finished Mario and Luigi: Dream Team. Time to complete – 54 hours on the game clock. This time is a bit excessive, and I'll explain why later in the review.

So, I hate this game. Why did I waste 54 hours playing a game I hate, you ask? Well, one, because I hated it so much that I wanted to write this review. But secondarily, and more importantly, this was the only game on my 3DS that I hadn't completed for long stretches of time, so it became my default bathroom-time game. Normally, if I'm playing a 3DS game that I like, the system gets elevated out of bathroom duty for the duration of the game, since the game is good enough that I want to keep playing. This game, however, never graduated from the toilet - literally or metaphorically. These brief, sporadic sessions are largely why my playthrough clocked in at such a length. I had to constantly re-orient myself each time I resumed playing.

What's so bad about it? For starters, let me state that I have played and enjoyed several of Mario's RPG adventures in the past, both of the “Paper” and “Mario & Luigi” variety. I generally found them to be generally charming and inoffensive, occasionally funny, and reasonably entertaining games. So I'm not someone who came into this game expecting to hate it. On the contrary, I thought it would be a decent little time waster.

With that out of the way, let's discuss why this game is bad. The game has four major areas of bad execution. First is the story and characters. I'm not going to go into great detail on this since it's such a subjective thing, but suffice to say that I found almost all of the characters in the game to be relentlessly insufferable, spared only by occasional appearances of the charming Big Massif.

The second area of concern is the over-tutorializing of incredibly simple things multiple times. When the game started out, and it was hand-holdy for the first hour or two, I was annoyed by the overly-verbose details of every little thing, but I understood it. Some people need a little shove in the right direction at the start of a game, so fine, shove away. The problem isn't the first couple hours. The problem is that thirty hours into the game I was still getting these overly long, repeatedly interrupting tutorial moments. Just as a single example, as the game starts, you have a basic jump, which is used both in the overworld to, uh, jump, and in battles as a jump attack. You'll get tutorialized to death on the intricasies of the jump attack, jump evade, and so on. You'll enter the dream world and see a big purple crystal in the air. Rather than letting you jump into the crystal with your only means of interacting with stuff in the world, your little helper buddy will leap out and say something along the lines of, “Hey! That giant glowing purple thing right in front of you looks interesting! It's right over your head, so maybe something will happen if you jump into it!”

OK, I say, we're still in the tutorial, and maybe some moron out there won't figure out that the way to hit something over your head is to jump into it. Fine. The next ability you get is your old, trusty hammer. Mario has been hammering stuff since Donkey Kong. Got it. You'll be given lengthy explanations on how to use the hammer outside of combat (you hit things that are directly in front of you) and in combat (you'll hit things directly in front of you). After this, you're given an area in which you hammer rocks out of your way to clear a path and enter the side-scrolling dream world again, where at the end of the level you're presented with another large glowing purple crystal. Only this time, the crystal isn't right over your head, it's right in front of you. Now, if you have at least seven functional synapses in your head, you're already switching to hammer mode as you walk up to the crystal to smash it. However, right before you get to it, Shitty McHelperson jumps out and yells at you again, telling you that maybe this mysteriosly-placed crystal can't be jumped into, and maybe there's another way to hit it. “Yeah, my fucking hammer,” you think, assuming the game will give you back control. Before it does, another text box comes up telling you that, yes, in fact, you should try hitting it with your hammer.

Seriously? This is literally the most brain-dead “puzzle,” a game could possibly conjure, and yet the game doesn't even offer the player the satisfaction of solving it on their own before interrupting them to tell them the solution.

That leads us into the game's third problem. The overworld puzzles. They are, from the game's start to its finish, the most rote and useless puzzles I've ever encountered in a game. They all work the same way. Over the course of the game, you'll gain a broad range of abilities which you can cycle through with the R button. Each of these abilities is useful for exactly one thing. As the game goes on, you'll be presented with obstacles which are tailor designed to be overcome with that one exact thing. You'll switch Mario and/or Luigi to that ability with R, and then hit the appropriate button, and then the obstacle is passed. That's it. You will do that over and over hundreds of times for no real reason other than to waste your time and make sure you remember that the R button is still working on your 3DS.

When people discuss game systems having depth, the above is the perfect example of the polar opposite of that. There are tons of abilities (breadth), but each is so strictly limited in what it can do, that it is literally only useful for one very exact task it was designed for. This is theoretically fine in a game where you're trying to apply a very limited toolset quickly or intelligently, but this game has neither. You just walk up to the obstacle, select the very-obvious correct tool, and voila, you're past the obstacle.

So the characters suck, the story sucks, and the puzzles suck, but at least the combat is fun, right? Well, not so much. The combat breakdown is as such. You can jump on things. You can hit them with hammers. For basic attacks, that's it. You also have a variety of special attacks, depending on the particular type of battle you're engaged in. First, there are overworld battles, where Mario and Luigi team up for Bros attacks. Second are dream world fights, where Mario fights alone, and is supplemented by Dreamy Luigi's special abilities and attacks, and third are Giant Dreamy Luigi battles, which are.... well, I'll get to those later.

The overworld and dreamworld battles are very similar, so I'll discuss them together. They break down as so: If the monsters have spikes on top of them, hit with them with the hammer. If they don't, jump on them. The special attacks are basically useless in any non-boss situation, since they take such a long time to complete, and they deplete a resource. Just jumping and hammering is all you need for every regular enemy in the game. You will get very, very tired of jumping and hammering before this game is done. The special attacks are generally pretty uninteresting anyway, and basically consist of a crappy minigame you have to play before the attack happens, with the success of the minigame determining the damage of the attack. On boss encounters, you'll find which one of these works well, and then you'll repeat it until the boss is dead. You'll get really tired of these things too.

The most interesting part of the combat is the various enemy attacks. Each enemy has a couple of attack patterns it will use (or a bunch for bosses), which will require you to properly time a jump or a hammer swing to dodge or deflect the attack. Enemies are intentionally designed to be confusing, so you'll have to take a few hits until you get each type down. This is all fine, but it could have been a lot better with a single, tiny adjustment. Each enemy attack automatically puts you into jump mode or hammer mode, so you're limited in what you can do to avoid them. Mario jumps with B, Luigi jumps with A. Mario hammers with B, Luigi hammers with A. The game decides which you'll use on every single enemy attack. This game doesn't use the X or Y buttons for anything throughout the entire game. If they had simply put the jumps on A and B, and the Hammers on X and Y, it would have made the combat much more interesting. There could be more variety in how you go about avoiding damage, or you could make a tradeoff where you take a hit intentionally to deal damage with the hammer, and so on. But that's a common theme in this game. The game tells you exactly how you need to play it at all times and any deviation or thought from the player is unacceptable.

And now we arrive at the Giant Dreamy Luigi Battles. Oh, did I ever save the worst for last. These things are awful. If a designer made a game that was nothing but this crap, they'd be fired on the spot. Everything about these battles is terrible. Every action is done with stylus swipes, stylus taps, or tilting the 3DS. No matter which one the game chooses, they all suck. Swipes are used for replicating the hammer and jump attacks, except now they're finnicky and sometimes the game misinterprets your input. The jump attack requires that you hold the stylus in place for a few seconds, and then swipe upwards to perform the jump, but sometimes it would jump immediately as I touched the pad to hold it in place. This results in the weakest possible attack. The regular swipes are less problematic, but there's always giant arrows on the screen instructing you on exactly what you must do in any given situation, and they're still worse than the way you perform the exact same actions in the rest of the game by just hitting a button.

The biggest issue with the Giant battles however, is every time it decides to use the tilt function. In every single battle that used it, I died at least once because the tilt completely stopped working halfway through the tilt minigame, and Luigi or the reticule would just go drifting off into the corner of the screen and get murdered by projectiles or into the lava, or whatever hazard was there. Alternatively, it would get stuck in the “down” position, and I would keep tilting up until the 3DS was facing completely away from me to the point where I could no longer even see the screen without hunching myself over upside down to tell if I was dying or not . (I was. And I was also still in the bottom corner of the screen.)

Compounding the control issues with the giant battles is the fact that every single attack is prefaced with an over-long animation that drags everything out to a ridiculous degree. Also inserted are frequent “helpful” hints from Shitty McHelperson who tells you things which are plainly obvious if you just look at the screen, and dialog boxes popping up from the villain. All of these repeat every time you do the fight if you die because you got stuck in the corner of the screen, so enjoy that.

And there we have it. This is unquestionably the worst game I've ever played to completion in my life. There's still the remnants of a decent design formula in there, but the game so infrequently allows you to explore its mechanics or exercise any level of applied knowledge of concepts that it just becomes a tedious game of connect-the-dots that is dragged out over 40-50 hours by constant interruption.

Score 1/5

Bought in 2014: 6

• Broken Age
  • Shadowrun Returns: Dragonfall
  • Inquisitor
  • The Banner Saga
  • Kingdom Rush
  • Super Amazing Wagon Adventure

Finished in 2014: 7

• Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney 5: Dual Destinies: Turnabout Reclaimed - 9 hours - 4/5
  • Shadowrun Returns - 11 hours - 4/5
  • Dark Souls - 3/5
  • Binding of Isaac - 3/5
  • Kingdom Rush 3/5
  • The Banner Saga 4/5
  • Mario & Luigi: Dream Team 1/5

Backlog Blitz 2014 Score: +1

Dear lord man, I feel the exact same way about M&L Dream Team. I should really just sell it but I really love the music. I never finished it either though, just felt that it would end up being longer than I wanted to play.

Brashnir

Dear lord man, I feel the exact same way about M&L Dream Team. I should really just sell it but I really love the music. I never finished it either though, just felt that it would end up being longer than I wanted to play.

Well, there is a jukebox mode that the game unlocks when you finish it, so it has that going for it if you like the music.

But yeah, it was a massively disappointing game for me. It's too bad.

Also, I'm glad that at least someone reads those things when I write them.

marcincz

Almost half of the October and next update. I stuck in Blue Dragon (started last month - over 30 hours in) and my stats look weaker, than last time. Besides I re-bought Heavenly Sword on PS3, so my slasher collection is still growing.

My backloggery

Bought in 2014: 21
1. Splinter Cell: Blacklist (PS3)
2. Black (PS2)
3. Burnout Paradise (PS3)
4. inFamous: Second Son (PS4)
5. Splinter Cell: Conviction (X360)
6. Mercenary Kings (PS4) - free Plus
7. Hotline Miami (PS3) - free Plus
8. Blue Dragon (X360)
9. Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of The Cursed King (PS2)
10. Bioshock: Infinite (PS3)
11. Puppeteer (PS3) - free Plus
12. Sleeping Dogs (X360)
13. Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 (PS3)
14. Burial at Sea p.1 (PS3) - free Season Pass
15. Burial at Sea p.2 (PS3) - free Season Pass
16. Killer 7 (PS2)
17. Resident Evil 4 (PS2)
18. Bayonetta (X360)
19. Brutal Legend (PS3)
20. Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 (PS3)
21. Fear Effect (PS1)
22. Gears of War: Judgment (X360)
23. inFamous: First Light (PS4)
24. The Walkind Dead GOTY (PS3)
25. Alpha Protocol (X360)
26. Heavenly Sword (PS3)

Beat in 2014: 19
1. Call of Juarez: Gunslinger (X360)
2. Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch (PS3)
3. Contrast (PS4) - free Plus
4. Splinter Cell: Blacklist (PS3)
5. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (PS3)
6. Devil May Cry (PS3)
7. inFamous: Second Son (PS4) - platinumed
8. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (PS3) - free Plus
9. Shadow of Memories (PS2)
10. Prince of Persia: Warrior Within (PS3)
11. Guacamelee (PS3) - free Plus
12. Bioshock Infinite (PS3)
13. Burial at Sea p.1 (PS3) - free Season Pass
14. Burial at Sea p.2 (PS3) - free Season Pass
15. Sleeping Dogs (X360)
16. Shadows of the Damned (X360)
17. Bastion (X360)
18. PGR 3 (X360)
19. Bayonetta (X360)
20. Black (PS2)
21. Tomorrow Never Dies (PS1)
22. Devil May Cry 2 (PS3)
23. Gears of War: Judgment (X360)
24. inFamous: First Light (PS4)

Current Score: -2

Currently Playing:
Blue Dragon (X360)

stn

Bought:
WWE 2K14
Resident Evil: Revelations
Dragon Age: Origins
Dragon Age: Awakening
Diablo 3: UEE
The Saboteur
Mortal Kombat: Komplete Edition

Completed:
WWE 2K14
Dragon Age: Origins
Dragon Age: Awakening
Diablo 3: UEE
The Saboteur
Mortal Kombat: Komplete Edition
Condemned
Dishonored

Now Playing:
Dragon's Dogma: DA
FEAR
Fallout: New Vegas
Forza 3
Gears of War 3
GTA V
Prince of Persia
Resident Evil 6
Resident Evil: Revelations
Splinter Cell: Blacklist
Two Worlds 2
The Witcher 2

All for X360. I'm not actually playing all the games listed above at this very moment, that's just what I have left in my backlog. I'm going to start Prince of Persia next, plus SC: Blacklist. Some of those games I also started a while back and am either partially or mostly complete.

Slashlen

Ok, been a while since my last update. Catchup time! Lots of bought and played right away. Lego Marvel Super Heroes was mixed. I liked so much about the characters and the humor, but it felt like the game was constantly fighting me. It's odd for a game that's had so many iterations. Bought and played Trails FC. I played the first, but my PSP died so I never finished. Finished it this time, loved it, NEED SC NOW. Bought and played Child of Light, loved that too. It just has a wonderful style to it, and the combat was fun. I finally got to finishing The Last of Us. I am a fan of that ending. I then picked up a Wii U, with Super Mario 3D World. That was a lot of fun, possibly my favorite Mario ever. Really been a great series of games lately.

Accumulated only a few games I haven't played, picked up Conception 2 cheap and NintendoLand came with the Wii U.

10/24/14 Update

Bought in 2014: 77
Beat in 2014: 24
Current Score: -53(-3 if you ignore bundles)

Bought:
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
Puppeteer
Rain
Thomas was Alone
La-Mulana
Humble Sid Meier Bundle (5 games)
Persona 2: Eternal Punishment
Humble Bundle 11(3 games)
Divekick
Metal Gear Rising: Revengence
South Park: The Stick of Truth
The Last of Us
Super Mario 3D Land
Bravely Default
Atelier Ayesha
Aquapazza
Infamous: Second Son
Gala Monday #1(6 games)
Humble Bundle Open Source(4 games)
Humble Bundle PC/Android 9(8 games)
Jurassic Park Full Season
Tales of Monkey Island Bundle
Tales of Symphonia Chronicles
Zone of the Enders HD Collection
Time and Eternity
Gala Monday #8(6 games)
Humble RPGMaker(2 games)
Disgaea D2
FFX HD Collection(Played originals)
Devil Summoner
Devil Summoner 2
Stella Deus
Humble Weekly Simulator 2(3 games)
Humble Weekly Japan(3 games)
Humble Bundle 12(3 games)
Humble Weekly Extra Credits(4 games)
Lego Marvel Super Heroes
Trails in the Sky FC
Child of Light
NintendoLand
New Super Mario 3D World
Conception 2

Beaten:
Saint's Row IV
Resogun (Plus)
Thomas was Alone
The Guided Fate Paradox
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
Tearaway
Tales of Xillia
Divekick
Contrast (Plus)
Noby Noby Boy
Sonic CD
Mercenary Kings (Plus)
Bravely Default
Super Mario 3D Land
Stick it to the Man (Plus)
Devil Survivor Overclocked
Rain
Mana Khemia
Doki Doki Universe(Plus)
Towerfall Ascension(Plus)
Arcana Heart
God Hand
Lego Marvel Super Heroes
Trails in the Sky FC
Child of Light
The Last of Us
Super Mario 3D World

Freebies:
49 PS+ games(Jan-Oct).
Pid
Thief Gold

Currently Playing:
Final Fantasy III

Hiatus
Time and Eternity

Arukado

- 10/30:
• Humble Indie Bundle 13 purchased to double dip OlliOlli (PC).​
- 10/25:
• Driveclub (PS4) , Minecraft (Vita) and Minecraft (PS4) upgrade purchased. Since Minecraft is eternal, i'm not going to count it as backlog.​
Purchased in 2014: -30Beaten in 2014: +25
Total: -5

Currently Playing:
On Hold:

Onislash

Final? October update. Got NAtURAL DOCtRINE, Akiba's Trip and Samurai Warriors 4 plus beat Final Fantasy Chronicles: Ring of Fates and Samurai Warriors 4, Akiba's Trip

January progress score: -3
February progress score: -9
March progress score: -8
April progress score: -7
May progress score: -13
June progress score: -11
July progress score: -13
August progress score: -13
September progress score: -14

My backloggery

Beaten in 2014: 48
Bought in 2014: 62
Current Score: -14

Bought this month:

Samurai Warriors 4
Akiba's Trip
NATuRAL DOCtRINE

Beaten this month:

Samurai Warriors 4
Final Fantasy Chronicles: Ring of Fates
Akiba's Trip

Playing :

Nothing

Priorities:

Nothing at the moment

October Update:

Backloggery

Horror games month now gives way to focusing on new games the next few months.

Bought (-6):
  • F.E.A.R. (Xbox 360)
  • Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS4)
  • The Evil Within (PS4)
  • Alien: Isolation (PS4)
  • Bayonetta 2 (Wii U)
  • Destiny (PS4)
Beaten (+3):
  • Fatal Frame III: The Tormented (PS3)
  • Zero: Tsukihami no Kamen (Wii)
  • The Evil Within (PS4)
Currently Playing:
Backlog Priorities:
  • Bayonetta 2 (Wii U)
  • Destiny (PS4)
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops II (Wii U)
  • Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut (Wii U)
Bought in 2014: 22
Beat in 2014: 36
Current Score: +14

flkraven

Update: 10/30/14

Studying for LSATs still and just got my Xbox One. I won't be finishing or buying anything else this month, so may as well complete this:

HowLongToBeat Profile
Also, add me on XBL! Gamertag: flkRaven

Bought in 2014: 41
Beat in 2014: 56
Current Score: +15

Score by Month
January: +4
February: -2
March: +2
April: -4
May: 0
June: +4
July: -1
August: +6
September: +1
October: +5

Bought in October:
  • Sunset Overdrive
Beaten in October:
  • Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts
  • Saints Row IV
  • Halo Wars
  • Geometry Wars
  • Dungeon Defenders
  • Shoot Many Robots
My Summary of Beaten Games (1-38)
My Summary of Beaten Games 38 and 52
Summary of Beaten Games 53 and Beyond

Currently Playing:
  • Sunset Overdrive

marcincz

Almost end of October. Next month should be very bad for me. I am going to buy 3-4 new games so my score will drastically decrease.

My backloggery

Bought in 2014: 21
2. Black (PS2)
8. Blue Dragon (X360)
12. Sleeping Dogs (X360)
16. Killer 7 (PS2)
18. Bayonetta (X360)
19. Brutal Legend (PS3)
21. Fear Effect (PS1)
26. Heavenly Sword (PS3)

Beat in 2014: 20
6. Devil May Cry (PS3)
15. Sleeping Dogs (X360)
17. Bastion (X360)
18. PGR 3 (X360)
19. Bayonetta (X360)
20. Black (PS2)
25. Blue Dragon (X360)

Current Score: -1

Currently Playing:
The Witcher 2 (X360)

October update. I need to spend a weekend to just play games.

My Backloggery
September update

Beaten in October 2014: 1
Bought in October 2014: 6

Beaten in 2014: 14
Bought in 2014: 59

Beaten in October 2014:
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky

Bought in October 2014:
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS
Gyakuten Kenji 2
Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus
Azure Striker Gunvolt
Fantasy Life
Bayonetta 2

Score: -45

Currently Playing:
Hyrule Warriors
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
Bayonetta

10/31/14 Update
Backloggery

Dammit, I'm back in the negative, lol. After being in the positive all year, October just had too many tempting games. Geez, looking at it now, I bought 12 games this month. November's looking pretty packed as well, but I'm not at the point of no return...yet.

Bought in 2014: -63
Beat in 2014: +62
Current Score: -1

Bought

• Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
  • Bravely Default
  • DmC Devil May Cry: Vergil's Downfall
  • Strider
  • Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
  • Thief (2014)
  • South Park: The Stick of the Truth
  • Titanfall
  • Yoshi's New Island
  • Luftrausers
  • Bioshock Infinite Burial at Sea Episode Two
  • Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Enhanced Edition
  • Mercenary Kings
  • Diablo III: Reaper of Souls
  • Dead Nation
  • Dark Souls II
  • NES Remix 2
  • Child of Light
  • Kirby Triple Deluxe
  • Wolfenstein: The New Order
  • Transistor
  • Mario Kart 8
  • Watch_Dogs
  • Mega Man V (GB)
  • Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes
  • Sonic Generations
  • Sanctum 2
  • Double Dragon Neon
  • Divinity: Original Sin
  • Double Dragon II: The Revenge
  • Cloudberry Kingdom
  • Ikaruga
  • Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon
  • The Walking Dead Season 2
  • Shovel Knight
  • Killzone Shadow Fall
  • Resogun
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Infamous: Second Son
  • Warframe
  • TowerFall Ascension
  • Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse
  • The Last of Us: Remastered
  • Tekken Tag Tournament 2: Wii U Edition
  • Azure Striker Gunvolt
  • Mighty Gunvolt
  • PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale
  • Destiny
  • Gauntlet (2014)
  • Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor
  • Hyrule Warriors
  • Super Smash Bros. 3DS
  • DriveClub
  • Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance
  • Shantae and the Pirate's Curse
  • Bayonetta
  • Bayonetta 2
  • Fantasy Life
  • Crypt of the NecroDancer
  • Lords of the Fallen
  • Freedom Wars
  • Demon's Crest
  • Gargoyle's Quest II: The Demon Darkness
Beaten:

• Metro: Last Light
  • DuckTales Remastered
  • BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea Episode 1
  • The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing
  • Aliens: Colonial Marines
  • Halo: Spartan Assault
  • Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge
  • NES Remix
  • DmC Devil May Cry
  • Batman: Arkham Origins
  • Sonic: Lost World (Wii U)
  • Strider
  • Muramasa Rebirth
  • Plants vs Zombies (Vita)
  • Thief (2014)
  • Bravely Default
  • Titanfall
  • Dishonored
  • Yoshi's New Island
  • Dead Nation
  • NES Remix 2
  • Rogue Legacy
  • Kirby Triple Deluxe
  • Child of Light
  • Guild Wars 2
  • Transistor
  • Mega Man V
  • Mario Kart 8
  • Defiance
  • Sonic Generations
  • Watch_Dogs
  • Shovel Knight
  • Ikaruga
  • Resogun
  • TowerFall Ascension
  • Double Dragon: Neon
  • Killzone: Shadow Fall
  • Fire Emblem Awakening
  • Mighty Gunvolt
  • Azure Striker Gunvolt
  • Luftrausers
  • Destiny
  • Gauntlet (2014)
  • Doki-Doki Universe
  • Hyrule Warriors
  • Super Smash Bros. 3DS
Currently Playing:

• Too much

Finished Mario and Luigi: Dream Team. Mario and Luigi: Dream Team Review

Holy shit! I'm so glad I avoided this game. A real bummer, since I enjoyed the series for the most part up to this point, but even looking at the Quick Looks, I got the impression that the chatter was not nearly as sharp or clever as it had been in previous games.

vitacola

10th Update:
Beat two 3DS Download games today I had sitting on my 3DS unplayed for a year or so. The rest of the month was pretty slow. Most of the time I wasn't in the mood for gaming and just watched a show on Netflix or a football match ...
The positive score is in sight.

My
(will it ever be up to date?)
backloggery:
http://www.backloggery.com/katzenkoerper

Bought in 2014: 25
Beaten in 2014: 24
Score: -1

Bought:
  • The Walking Dead: Season 2 (Steam)
  • The Stanley Parable (Steam)
  • Persona 4 Golden (Vita)
  • Gravity Crash (PS3)
  • Civ 5 (PC)
  • Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc (Vita)
  • The Last of Us: Left Behind (DLC) (PS3)
  • Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days (PS3)
  • Condemned 2: Bloodshot (PS3)
  • Silent Hill: Downpour (PS3)
  • Tearaway (Vita)
  • Metal Gear Solid 3 - HD (PS3)
  • Metal Gear Solid 4 (PS3)
  • Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker - HD (PS3)
  • The Darknes II (PS3)
  • Asura's Wrath - Episode Pack: Part IV (DLC) (PS3)
  • Still Life (PC) - Had to buy it, because Still Life 2 was free on GOG. Damn you, GOG!
  • Still Life 2 (PC) - Gonna count it, because it doesn't feel like it's similar to PS+ and other "rent" services.
  • Yakuza 4 (PS3)
  • Shenmue (DC)
  • Trials: Fusion (PS4)
  • South Park: The Stick of Truth (PS3)
  • Destiny (PS4)
    [*]The Evil Within (PS4)

Bought, but won't count:
(Titles I won't count to the "bought total", because of double dipping, being "unbeatable" or other reasons)
  • Virtue's Last Reward (Vita) - Already bought it for 3DS.
  • Siren Blood Curse (PS3) - Just "upgraded" my download to a retail copy.
  • Metal Gear Solid (PS3/Vita/PSP) - Already bought it on PSN.
  • Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions (PS3/Vita/PSP) - Won't play it.
  • Metal Gear Solid 2 - HD (PS3) - Already had it on PS2.
  • FEZ (PS4/PS3/Vita) - Already bought its Humble Bundle release last year.
  • Outlast (PS4) - already own it on PC/Steam
  • Beyond Good & Evil HD (PS3) - already own it on PS2 and PC/GOG

Beaten:
  • GTA 5 (PS3)
  • Uncharted: Golden Abyss (Vita)
  • The Last of Us: Left Behind (DLC) (PS3)
  • Tearaway (Vita)
  • DuckTales: Remastered (PS3)
  • Beyond: Two Souls (PS3)
  • Sound Shapes (Vita/PS3)
  • Ico (PS3)
  • Asura's Wrath (PS3)
  • Asura's Wrath - Episode Pack: Part IV (DLC) (PS3)
  • Goldeneye (Wii)
  • Wolf Among Us (PS3)
  • The Stanley Parable (PC/Steam)
  • The Walking Dead: 400 Days (PC/Steam)
  • Trials: Fusion (PS4)
  • Pullblox (3DS) - finally :)
  • Lone Survivor (Vita)
  • Gravity Rush (Vita) - after one year!
  • South Park: The Stick of Truth (PS3)
  • Touch My Katamari (Vita)
    [*]Destiny (PS4)
    [*]Gunman Clive (3DS)
    [*]Liberation Maiden (3DS)

Currently Playing:
  • Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (DS)
  • Virtue's Last Reward (Vita)
  • Outlast (PC/Steam/PS4)
  • Vanquish (PS3)
  • The Evil Within - I'm in the 5th chapter, I think. Liking it so far.
  • Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii) - got to finish it. Awesome game.

The_Dude

Really happy with the games I got. Not at all happy with my backlog progress.

----

Bought in 2014: 16
Finished in 2014: 24
Current Score: +8

---

Bought in October: 3
Finished in October: 1
October Score: -2

Bought:
Bayonetta 2
Forza Horizon 2
Sunset Overdrive

Finished:
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

Only two months left to turn around this mess. I'm not getting many new games in November or December, but I doubt I can avoid splurging on the holiday sales.

bEqSDaB.png

Added the following games to the backlog:
October -11
• Pix the Cat †
• Dust: An Elysian Tail †
• Dragon Quest II
• Legend of Grimrock 2
• Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster
• Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc
• Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair
• Persona 4 Golden
• Aliens versus Predator Classic 2000
• Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth
• Shin Megami Tensei IV

Completed:
October +6
• Fieldrunners 2 HD
• Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call
• Pix the Cat
• Dragon Quest II
• Super Mario 3D Land
• Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth

* - free
† - "free" from Playstation Plus

Previous months
• January
• February
• March
• April
• May
• June
• July
• August
• September

Backloggery (384 games in backlog)

Zhao_Yun

October Update

I started playing FFXIV:ARR which isn't helpful with clearing my backlog ;<

Bought in 2014: 28
Beat in 2014: 18
Current Score: -10

Bought:
Ys Origin (PC)
Tearaway (Vita)
Suikoden V (PS2)
Persona 4: Golden (Vita)
Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions (PSP)
Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS)
Atelier Totori Plus (Vita)
Hotline Miami (PSN)
Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga (PS2)
Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 2 (PS2)
Xenosaga II (PS2)
Dark Souls II (PS3)
Towerfall Ascension (PS4)
The Wolf Among Us (PS3)
Guacamelee! (Vita) (PS+, doesn't count)
Bravely Default (3DS)
The Legend of Zelda: A Link between worlds (3DS)
Ys: Memories of Celceta (Vita)
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn (PS4)
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky (PSP)
Demon Gaze (Vita)
Hatsune Miku Project Diva f (Vita)
Dragon's Crown (Vita) (PS+, doesn't count)
Velocity 2X (Vita) (PS+, doesn't count)
Gods Eater (PSP)
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies (3DS)
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call (3DS)
Monster Monpiece (Vita)
Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus (Vita)
Earth Defense Force 2017 Portable (Vita)
Pix the Cat (Vita) (PS+, doesn't count)
Fifa 15 (PS4)

Beaten:
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (3DS)
Radiant Historia (NDS)
Muramasa Rebirth (Vita)
Persona 4: Golden (Vita)
Dark Souls II (PS3)
Tearaway (Vita)
Hotline Miami (Vita)
Towerfall Ascension (PS4)
Guacamelee! (Vita) (PS+, doesn't count)
Tales of Xillia (PS3)
Resident Evil 6 (360)
Demon's Souls (PS3)
The Wolf Among Us (PS3)
Virtue's Last Reward (Vita)
Dragon's Crown (Vita) (PS+, doesn't count)
Hatsune Miku Project Diva f (Vita)
Velocity 2X (Vita) (PS+, doesn't count)
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call (3DS)
Pix the Cat (Vita) (PS+, doesn't count)
The Witcher 2 (360)
Ys: Memories of Celceta (Vita)

Currently Playing:
Borderlands 2 (PS3), Fifa 15 (PS4), Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn (PS4), Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus (Vita)

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
End of October Update:

Purchased in October: 44

1. Fancy Skulls (PC) 10/2
  2. Freaking Meatbags (PC) 10/2
  3. Colossal Kaiju Combat: Kaijuland Battles (PC) 10/2
  4. Super Smash Bros. (3DS) 10/3
  5. Pier Solar and the Great Architects (PC) 10/3
  6. L.A. Noire (PC) 10/4
  7. Flower Shop: Summer In Fairbrook (PC) 10/6
  8. Crystals of Time (PC) 10/6
  9. The 39 Steps (PC) 10/6
  10. Lifeless Planet (PC) 10/6
  11. Unrest (PC) 10/6
  12. The Last Door (PC) 10/6
  13. Final Fantasy XIII (PC) 10/9
  14. Tomb Raider (PC) 10/10
  15. Omikron (PC) 10/10
  16. Assassin's Creed III (PC) 10/10
  17. Bioshock (PC) 10/16
  18. BioShock 2 (PC) 10/16
  19. Minerva's Den (PC) 10/16
  20. Inquisitor (PC) 10/16
  21. Nicole (PC) 10/16
  22. Warring States Tactics (PC) 10/16
  23. Battleplan: American Civil War (PC) 10/16
  24. Bleed (PC) 10/20
  25. Ascension to the Throne (PC) 10/20
  26. Them: The Summoning (PC) 10/20
  27. Necronomicon: The Dawning of Darkness (PC) 10/20
  28. Larva Mortus (PC) 10/20
  29. Black Bay Asylum (PC) 10/20
  30. Legend of Grimrock (PC) 10/20
  31. Fallout: New Vegas (PC) 10/23
  32. Fatty Bear's Birthday Surprise (PC) 10/24
  33. Claire (PC) 10/27
  34. Realms Of The Haunting (PC) 10/28
  35. OlliOlli (PC) 10/28
  36. Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs (PC) 10/28
  37. Jazzpunk (PC) 10/28
  38. Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call (3DS) 10/28
  39. DreadOut (PC) 10/30
  40. Transistor (PC) 10/30
  41. Vertical Drop Heroes HD (PC) 10/30
  42. Home (PC) 10/30
  43. Knock-Knock (PC) 10/30
  44. Sanitarium (PC) 10/30

Finished in September: 3

1. Pressured (PC) 10/12
  2. Super Mario Brothers 2 (3DS VC/NES) 10/27
  3. The Last Door (PC) 10/28

Monthly Score for October: -41

Monthly Score for January: 0
Monthly Score for February: -5
Monthly Score for March: -17
Monthly Score for April: -30
Monthly Score for May: -65
Monthly Score for June: -60
Monthly Score for July: -70
Monthly Score for August: -33
Monthly Score for September: -39
Overall 2014 Score: -360

Another month in which I bought far more games than I could ever hope to finish. For the games I finished this month, Pressured is kind of a bland puzzle game, SMB 2 is, well, SMB 2, and The Last Door is pretty great, everyone should go play it.

So I'm blaming my lack of finished games on Skyrim and Smash Bros. I'm pretty close to finishing off Skyrim after putting 140 hours into it between mid-September and today. I feel like I'm getting sort of close to the end of Smash Bros. because I'm already losing interest in it (I don't like it as much as the past iterations in the series). I started playing Harvest Moon: A Tale of Two Towns again just to get it out of my backlog, should be able to finish it this month or next month. I'm 45ish hours into X-Com: Terror from the Deep and not enjoying it as much as UFO Defense.

These next two months for me are mainly going to be about finishing shorter games, games I've already started, games that were released in 2014, and, by extension to that last one, Pokemon Omega Ruby when it comes out. I think I'll finally get around to playing some of the games in the Sega Genesis & Mega Drive Classics packs that I bought months ago, since a lot of those are pretty short aka Altered Beast.

Updated Original Post

October Update:
September post
Backloggery.

October was my biggest spending month for the rest of this year. I still have a couple games I'm going to buy, but if I can recover from the damage in October I can finish this year in the black. I actually did a pretty good job beating things in October so this may just be possible.

Although, Fantasy Life may eat up the rest of my gaming time for this year.

Strikes are +/-0

October Bought:
Suikoden (PS1Classics)
Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus (Vita)
Bayonetta (Wii U)
Bayonetta 2 (Wii U)
Fantasy Life (3DS)

October Beaten:
Tales of Xillia 2
Senran Kagura 2
Corpse Party 2
Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus
+4

October Score: -1

2014 Bought: 32
2014 Beaten: 29

Total Score: -3

MadSexual

MadSexual's Backloggery

Beat in November: 3

* Ballpoint Universe: Infinite (11/4)
* The Binding of Isaac [FINALLY] (11/21)
* Rise of the Triad (2013) (11/25)

Bought in November: 9

* Penumbra: Overture
* Penumbra: Requiem
* Penumbra: Black Plague
* Darksiders
* Darksiders 2
* South Park: The Stick of Truth
* Wolfenstein: TNO
* Thief (2014)
* Shadow Warrior

Total beaten in 2014: 35
Total bought in 2014: 26

Total Score: +7

Previous updates:

QUESTION: I've encountered a game-breaking bug in Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, a game I purchased this year. I'm 23 hours into it, so there's no way I'm going to start it over, especially since I decided about ten hours ago that I wasn't really enjoying it anymore and was only working to finish it for the sake of the backlog. Is there any conventional rule for this? Can I negate the -1 from January when I bought it, or should I take it as a permanent hit for the year? I don't mind if the latter is the norm, but I thought I'd run it by the thread in case this has come up before.

mrpookles

Still going backwards. Really didn't want to deny myself some of the bigger October releases (and have already bought/pre-ordered my 3 main November games).

"Achieved" in October in bold.

Bought in 2014: 36
Beaten in 2014: 29
Current Score: -7

Beaten:
Assassin's Creed 4 (PC)
Gone Home (PC)
Final Fantasy 7 (PC)
Beyond: Two Souls (PS3)
Killzone: Shadow Fall (PS4)
Crysis 3 (PC)
South Park: The Stick of Truth (PC)
Saints Row 4 (360)
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (PS4)
Titanfall (X1)
NBA 2K14 (360)
Infamous: Second Son (PS4)
Wolfenstein: The New Order (PC)
Bioshock Infinite: Burial at Sea (PC)
Dragon Age: Origins (PC)
Dragon Age: Origins - The Darkspawn Chronicles (PC)
Dragon Age: Origins - Leliana's Song (PC)
Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening (PC)
Dragon Age: Origins - Witch Hunt (PC)
Assassin's Creed 4: Freedom Cry (PC)
The Wolf Among Us (PC)
MLB The Show 14 (PS4)
Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon (PC)
Dragon Age 2 (PC)
The Last of Us Remastered (PS4)
Watch Dogs (PS4)
Borderlands 2 (360)
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor (PC)
The Walking Dead: Season 2 (PC)

Bought:
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (PC)
Final Fantasy 8 (PC)
Killzone: Shadow Fall (PS4)
South Park: The Stick of Truth (PC)
Thief (PC)
Crysis 3 (PC)
Batman: Arkham Origins (PC)
The Walking Dead: Season 2 (PC)
Titanfall (X1)
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (PS4)
FFX HD (Vita)
FFX-2 HD (Vita)
Infamous: Second Son (PS4)
MLB The Show 14 (PS4)
Assassin's Creed 4: Freedom Cry (PC)
Wolfenstein: The New Order (PC)
Metro 2033: Redux (PC)
Watch Dogs (PS4)
Bioshock Infinite: Burial at Sea (PC)
Shadowrun Returns (PC)
Enslaved: Odyssey to the West (PC)
Papers, Please (PC)
The Wolf Among Us (PC)
The Banner Saga (PC)
Baldur's Gate II (PC)
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky (PC)
The Last of Us Remastered (PS4)
Madden 15 (X1)
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning (PC)
Final Fantasy IV (PC)
Final Fantasy XIII (PC)
Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor (PC)
NBA 2K15 (PC)
Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel (360)
Company of Heroes 2 (PC)
Civilization: Beyond Earth (PC)

Currently playing:
NBA 2K15 (PC)
Civilization: Beyond Earth (PC)
Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel (360)
Metro 2033: Redux (PC)

Backloggery

January Post (-3)
February Post (-6)
March Post (-6)
April Post (-7)
May Post (-8)
June Post (-7)
July Post (-9)
August Post (-10)
September Post (-10)

Current Score: (-9)

Games that don't count (rented or PS+ games finished or purchased games previously beaten):

Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor (PS4) - Finished during a rental. Definitely will buy this one day. This will be in my top 5 for the year easily.
Super Smash Bros (3DS) - Yea, so.. I bought it, but it's for my son. I don't have any interest in it.
Metal Gear Solid: HD Collection (PS Vita) - Metal Gear Scanlon reminded me of my love for the series so I decided to grab this. I actually thought it included Peace Walker but since it doesn't, this is not a backlog item for me.

Bought in October 2014 (-1):

Vib Ribbon (PS Vita)

Finished in October 2014 (2):

Persona 4 (PS2)
Persona 4 Golden (PS Vita)

Currently Playing:

Alien: Isolation (PS4) - I understand the reviews about the Alien AI, but personally I've been having a great time with the game. Something about the controls that lets you peek out from behind things seems really well done to me, and makes me appreciate the tension more than usual in games like this. Unfortunately I only made it to chapter 10 before I needed to return it to Gamefly. Looking forward to picking it back up at some point.
Lords of the Fallen (PS4) - Man I really wanted to like this. Even if the framerate weren't terrible though I keep running into small things that disappoint. Just beat the Infiltrator and I'll try to finish it but we'll see.
The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth (PS4 / PS Vita) - I was kinda surprised by the performance on this too. I guess I expected it to be more smooth like the original. Anyway, we'll see if I get any further with this than I did on PC.
Steamworld: Dig (PS4 / PS Vita) - I never got the appeal for this but thanks to PS+ I'm giving it a try. Just started today.

October update

Welp, no real progress this month, but at least no setback either.

Games acquired in October (-4)

1. Electronic Super Joy: Groove City (Steam sale + coupon)
2. Super Mario Bros. (Club Nintendo "reward")
3. The Book of Unwritten Tales (Steam sale + coupon)
4. Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers 20th Anniversary Edition (Kickstarted)

Games completed in October (+4)

1. Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright
2. Defense Grid 2
3. The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
4. Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers 20th Anniversary Edition

Monthly totals

January: +4
February: -2
March: +4
April: +1
May: +1
June: -1
July: +5
August: +5
September: +1
October: 0

2014 running total: +18

Recently playing:

Wasteland 2
Master Levels for Doom 2
The Book of Unwritten Tales

October

Bought: 2
Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair (PSVita)

Completed: 0
Uncharted: Golden Abyss (PS+)

Current Score:

Curse you, Fantasy Life and your +100 hours goodness!

My Backloggery

marcincz

November update:

My backloggery

Bought in 2014: 24
2. Black (PS2)
8. Blue Dragon (X360)
12. Sleeping Dogs (X360)
16. Killer 7 (PS2)
18. Bayonetta (X360)
19. Brutal Legend (PS3)
21. Fear Effect (PS1)
26. Heavenly Sword (PS3)
27. Fahrenheit (PS2)
28. The Orange Box (X360)
29. The Last of Us Remastered (PS4)

Beat in 2014: 20
6. Devil May Cry (PS3)
15. Sleeping Dogs (X360)
17. Bastion (X360)
18. PGR 3 (X360)
19. Bayonetta (X360)
20. Black (PS2)
25. Blue Dragon (X360)

Current Score: -4

Currently Playing:
The Witcher 2 (X360)

Onislash

Got Freedom Wars, Tales of Hearts R and Tears to Tiara: Heir of the Overlord. Beat Freedom Wars, Tales of Xillia, Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair and Tales of Xillia 2

October progress score: -14

My backloggery

Beaten in 2014: 52
Bought in 2014: 65
Current Score: -13

Bought this month:

Freedom Wars
Tales of Hearts R
Tears to Tiara: Heir of the Overlord

Beaten this month:

Freedom Wars
Tales of Xillia
Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair
Tales of Xillia 2

Playing :

?

Priorities:

?

ghibli99

For the first time since 2012, I'm in negative territory. Not sure I'm going to make up for it before the end of the year, either. Oh well, it's worth it. :) Update incoming later.

harSon

Banned
Alright friends, it's time I put down Dota 2 and start playing all of these games I've been purchasing.

My backlog currently consists of:

Wii U:
1. The Wonderful 101 *
2. Super Mario 3D World *
3. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (I've played up until the first Boss)
4. Mario Kart 8 *
5. Bayonetta 2
6. Nintendo Land
7. Windwaker *
8. New Super Mario Bros U & New Super Luigi Bros U *

Playstation 4:
1. The Last of Us * (My PS3 copy is unopened too)
2. Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition *
3. Shadow of Mordor *
4. The Evil Within (I'm maybe an hour into this)
5. Killzone: Shadowfall

Xbox One:
1. Dead Rising 3
2. Forza Horizon 2 *
3. Master Chief Collection (I've never actually beat the Halo 1 or 2 campaigns, and I've never played Halo 4's SP at all)
4. Sunset Overdrive
5. Destiny (I'm like level 3)
6. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (I've played multiplayer quite a bit, but haven't even looked at single player)

3DS:
1. Super Mario 3D Land
2. Bravely Default *
3. Pokemon X
4. A Link Between Worlds *
5. Fantasy Life *
6. Super Smash Bros 3DS

Playstation Vita:
1. Persona 4: Golden *
2. Tearaway *

Games with *'s are literally unopened.

Recommend something please!

I've barely played a single game in the past 6 weeks because of how busy things are and due to sports. On top of the TV seasons/anime/visual novels that I want to get as well, I'll wait and see how things are in a few months once I know what to do.

January Progress: 1
February Progress: 1
March Progress: 1
April Progress: 0
May Progress: -1
June Progress: -2
July Progress: 0
August Progress: -6
September Progress: 0
October Progress: -4

New games to list (6)
Elminage Gothic (September)
Velocity Ultra (October)
Fire Emblem: Awakening (October)
Super Smash Bros. for 3DS (October) (objective undetermined)
Hatsune Miku Project DIVA F (October)
Battle Princess of Arcadias (October)

Games completed since last update (2)
Legend of Zelda (3DS) (September)
Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii) (October)

Games playing (5)
Chrono Trigger (DS)
Gradius 4 (PSP)
Mario Kart: Double Dash (GC)
Super Smash Bros. for 3DS
You Don't Know Jack Vol. 3 (PC)

Progress for September: 0
Total score: -6

Progress for October: -4
Total score: -10 (to think the goal was to get +10 overall for the year, ha - it just means next year's goal will be 15 or 20)

Het_Nkik

October Update

Bought in October: 8
Beat in October: 1
October Score: -7

Beaten in October:
  • Lego Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy

---------------------------------------------------

2014 Total So Far

Bought in 2014: 146
Beat in 2014: 37
2014 Score: -109

Beaten in 2014:
  • Samorost 2
  • NightSky
  • Dear Esther
  • Gone Home
  • Machinarium
  • Mario Golf [GBC]
  • Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3
  • Picross 2
  • Kersploosh!
  • Yoshi's Story
  • Rayman Legends
  • Yoshi Topsy-Turvy
  • 3D Sonic the Hedgehog
  • Batman: Arkham Asylum
  • Batman: Arkham City
  • 3D Space Harrier
  • 3D Galaxy Force II
  • Yoshi's Island DS
  • Kirby's Return to Dream Land
  • Kirby Super Star Ultra
  • Kirby's Epic Yarn
  • Mario Kart 7
  • Fluidity: Spin Cycle
  • Mario Kart 8
  • Samurai Spirits!
  • Samurai Shodown! 2
  • King of Fighters R-1
  • King of Fighters R-2
  • Fatal Fury: First Contact
  • SNK Gals Fighters
  • Pushmo
  • Sonic the Hedgehog Pocket Adventure
  • NES Remix 2
  • Crashmo
  • Mighty Gunvolt

So, super late update for October here. Something (good) happened to me recently and I need to save as much money as I can. So basically my video game purchases are going to be cut way back, but at the same time I have less free time to play games. We'll see how this whole thing goes.

bought in 2014: 21

1.DK: Tropical Freeze
2.Dark Souls
3.MGS: Rising
4.Snake Eater 3D
5.Tomb Raider: Definitive
6.MGSV:GZ
7.South Park
8. Ni No Kuni
9. Metroid: Other M
10. Injustice
11. Child Of Light
12. Mario Kart 8
13. Lego City
14. Gone Home
15. Hotline Miami
16. Hyrule Warriors
17. Spec OP The Line
18. DOOM 3 BFG
19. Total War Shogun
20. Bayonetta 2
21. Cosmophony

Beat in 2014: 13

1. Yoshi's New Island
2. Super Mario 3D World ( not 100%'d but main game done)
3. MGS:GZ (same as 3D World)
4. Stick of Truth
5. Killzone Shadow Fall
6. Watch Dogs
7. Transistor
8. Tomb Raider DE
9. Mario Kart 8 (all cups beaten, gold car unlocked)
10. Gone Home
11. Spec OPS
12. Valiant Hearts
13. Bayonetta 2

Freebies

Yoshis New Island
Watch Dogs
Transistor
Conception 3 ( not my thing)
humble bundle ( not got a pc yet)
Destiny

Current Score: -8

Backlog from before 2014:

Battlefield 4 (PS4) ( mainly multiplayer but may finish campaign)

Windwaker HD (Wii U) Triforce fetch quest
Bravely Default (3DS)
Assassin's Creed IV (PS4)
GTA V (360)
Deus Ex HR: DC( Wii U)
Pikmin 3 (Wii U)
Splinter Cell Blacklist ( Wii U)
ICO + SOTC HD (PS3)
Rayman Legends (Wii U)
Resident Evil: Revelations (3DS)
Tales Of The Abyss (3DS)
Resogun (PS4)[/I]

Steins; Gate (all endings) is beat. Amazing experience, I'm still coming down from my high. This game and to a lesser extent, the anime, will forever hold a special part in my heart.

Current score is +1

Beat (+17):
1. The Last of Us - 1/2
2. Fire Emblem: Awakening - 1/31
3. Resident Evil: Revelations (360) - 2/7
4. Virtue's Last Reward (3DS) - 2/22
5. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons - 2/23
6. Bastion - 2/27
7. Saints Row 4 + DLC - 3/15
8. South Park: The Stick of Truth - 3/20
9. Batman: Arkham Origins - 3/27
10. Half Minute Hero: The Second Coming - 4/26
11. The Wolf Among Us - 7/14
12. Super Mario Land 2 - 8/8
13. Borderlands 2: GOTY Edition - 8/19
14. Kid Icarus: Uprising - 8/25
15. Super Mario Land - 8/27
16. The Walking Dead: Season 2 - 8/28
17. Steins; Gate - 11/23

Bought: (-16)
1. Resident Evil: Revelations (360) - 1/2
2. Bastion (360) - 2/17
3. Saints Row 4 (360) - 2/20
4. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (360) - 2/21
5. South Park: The Stick of Truth - 3/8
6. Batman: Arkham Origins - 3/14
7. Half Minute Hero: The Second Coming - 4/6
8. Grand Theft Auto 5 - 4/15
9. Steins; Gate - 4/28
10. Kid Icarus: Uprising - 5/26
11. The Wolf Among us - 7/14
12. Super Mario Land 2 - 8/6
13. Super Mario Land - 8/27
14. The Walking Dead: Season 2 - 8/28
15. Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel - 10/15
16. Costume Quest 2 - 11/10

Removed due to not liking (does not count as +1 beat but does count as -1 to backlog):

Backlog is now at 3

http://backloggery.com/gryphter

GTA5 is next. I expect to have it beat before the end of the year but if I don't, I'll be sure to make a final post and a formal thank you to everyone here.

Brashnir

After watching Ian and Dave (both formerly of Giant Bomb) play Icewind Dale on twitch ( archived at http://icewind.rocks ) I decided to break out my old copy of the game and both its expansions and give it a go. I think I had played halfway or so through the original 10 years ago, but for some reason never finished it or touched either expansion.

When reviewing this game, it's hard to know where to start. Since the game is based off of second edition AD&D, a lot of reviewing this game is sort of a roundabout review of AD&D 2E. Now, while I'd love to give a breakdown of the pen and paper game (I have a lot to say on the subject) I'll summarize by simply saying that it is a profoundly broken mess of a game on many levels, but the fact that it depends on having a human game master and players means that a lot of the more broken elements can be worked around by experienced players who are interested in having a good time together.

When translating the ruleset to a video game, however, a lot of that human ability for rational thought and common sense becomes unavailable, which makes this video game adaptation even more broken in many ways than the game it is based on, but in some ways it ends up being better.

As an example, low-level characters in second edition typically have 4-14 Hit Points. This is not a lot in a world where some common, unenchanted weapons in the hands of a typical low-level enemy can do over 10 damage in a single hit, and more on a critical hit. This means that every time an enemy attacks, a low-level character might die. In the tabletop game, this means it's time to create a new character. In Icewind Dale (and other Infinity Engine games) it simply means reloading your last quicksave, which was probably about 9 seconds before you died. Save-scumming in these games is absolutely essential, especially early on.

Save-scumming comes with plenty of drawbacks, however, especially when coupled with the rest mechanic. Magic casters in the game can only cast X number of spells before they rest for 8 hours, and since there's no DM in sight to stop you, you can just save and rest after every encounter. Sometimes you'll get a random encounter when you try to rest, but if something bad happens in it, you just reload and try again. This makes a mockery of any sense of resource preservation in the game, and you can just go balls-out with your most devastating combos at any time you like.

You can also cheese a whole lot of the fights in the game by casting AoE spells into areas offscreen where you know enemies are, such as in a case where you ran into a fight and lost. To combat this, and to combat the player buffing before certain key battles, the game cheeses you right back by putting boss encounters behind a screen transition (which summoned creatures can't pass) and giving bosses mass dispells which are better than regular dispells and happen before the player can even act.

Suffice to say that the game is a complete mechanical mess, but it still manages to be fun, often because the game isn't afraid to cheat and force you to use different strategies in certain encounters. While the game is extraordinarily exploitable in tons of broken ways, coming up with new ways to break it is also a lot of fun.

If there's one thing about the game that isn't fun, however, it's the way the expansions are structured. Since I had no plans to re-play this game, I wanted to get through the main game and both expansions in one straight go. For this, I assumed I'd simply play through each in order, but oh, was I ever mistaken. In order to play all three in one playthrough, while also maintaining the proper levels for each set of content, you need to do it in the following order.

1) Play 95% of the way through the main game, and stop just before the final section of the game (which has a point of no return moment where you can't go back from, and ends the game when you kill the final boss.)
2) Backtrack to the earlier town where the Heart of Winter starts and play 90% of Heart of Winter (which ALSO has a point of no return from which you can't backtrack, and further, if you fully complete HoW, it bounces you out and completely locks you out of the second expansion)
3) Go to the town within HoW before entering the last area, and play the entirety of Trial of the Luremaster
4) Complete the final section and boss of Heart of Winter.
5) Complete the final section and boss of Icewind Dale.

You CAN get around these things by exporting your character to play the expansions singularly, but that just didn't seem right to me, and I understand that the enhanced edition has massively increased the strength of the main game's final boss so that he's still a challenge after the expansions. So if you're playing that version, you pretty much have to do things as I described above since if you export, you'll have to go through the entire main game start to finish again after the expansions.

I realize this review sounds really negative, but that's largely because I tend to focus a review on the details of the gameplay systems, and while this and the other Infinity Engine games are often complete mechanical shit-shows, they still offer a level of strategy and variety of methods to beat the game at its own game which is severely lacking in a lot of newer RPGs. Also, for me personally, I'm able to look past a lot of the faults inherent in the AD&D 2E rules because I have a good deal of great memories of them as well.

Overall Score - 3/5

Bought in 2014: 6

• Broken Age
  • Shadowrun Returns: Dragonfall
  • Inquisitor
  • The Banner Saga
  • Kingdom Rush
  • Super Amazing Wagon Adventure

Finished in 2014: 10

• Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney 5: Dual Destinies: Turnabout Reclaimed - 9 hours - 4/5
  • Shadowrun Returns - 11 hours - 4/5
  • Dark Souls - 3/5
  • Binding of Isaac - 3/5
  • Kingdom Rush 3/5
  • The Banner Saga 4/5
  • Mario & Luigi: Dream Team 1/5
  • Icewind Dale 3/5
  • Icewind Dale : Heart of Winter 3/5
  • Icewind Dale : Trial of the Luremaster 2/5

Backlog Blitz 2014 Score: +4

Slashlen

I thought I should put in an update before the holidays turn my backlog progress into ash. So, after I made my last update, I went to BestBuy with $10 in credit and found Ground Demoes for $20. $10 was fine for the demo, I had had a good time but I don't see how someone could have paid $40 for that.

After that, it was the return of the king as I got another PS3 and played through Atelier Ayesha. For my own protection I turned the voices off, but I liked the game a lot. The mechanics improved a lot from the Arland games, though I still managed not to get a perfect run due to some nonsense with Keith's events. Still really good.

11/26/14 Update

Bought in 2014: 78
Beat in 2014: 26
Current Score: -52(-2 if you ignore bundles)

Bought:
Puppeteer
Rain
Thomas was Alone
La-Mulana
Humble Sid Meier Bundle (5 games)
Persona 2: Eternal Punishment
Humble Bundle 11(3 games)
Divekick
Metal Gear Rising: Revengence
The Last of Us
Super Mario 3D Land
Bravely Default
Atelier Ayesha
Aquapazza
Gala Monday #1(6 games)
Humble Bundle Open Source(4 games)
Humble Bundle PC/Android 9(8 games)
Jurassic Park Full Season
Tales of Monkey Island Bundle
Tales of Symphonia Chronicles
Zone of the Enders HD Collection
Time and Eternity
Gala Monday #8(6 games)
Humble RPGMaker(2 games)
Disgaea D2
FFX HD Collection(Played originals)
Devil Summoner
Devil Summoner 2
Stella Deus
Humble Weekly Simulator 2(3 games)
Humble Weekly Japan(3 games)
Humble Bundle 12(3 games)
Humble Weekly Extra Credits(4 games)
Lego Marvel Super Heroes
Trails in the Sky FC
Child of Light
NintendoLand
New Super Mario 3D World
Conception 2
Metal Gear Solid: Ground Demoes

Beaten:
Saint's Row IV
Resogun (Plus)
Thomas was Alone
The Guided Fate Paradox
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
Tearaway
Tales of Xillia
Divekick
Contrast (Plus)
Noby Noby Boy
Sonic CD
Mercenary Kings (Plus)
Bravely Default
Super Mario 3D Land
Stick it to the Man (Plus)
Devil Survivor Overclocked
Rain
Mana Khemia
Doki Doki Universe(Plus)
Towerfall Ascension(Plus)
Arcana Heart
God Hand
Lego Marvel Super Heroes
Trails in the Sky FC
Child of Light
The Last of Us
Super Mario 3D World
Metal Gear Solid: Ground Demoes
Atelier Ayesha

Freebies:
49 PS+ games(Jan-Oct).
Pid
Thief Gold

Currently Playing:
Final Fantasy III

Hiatus
Time and Eternity

dr labson

Neo Member
Alright time to update my log.

Man, November is always such a cluster fuck.
Not a lot of releases for like 3/4 of a year and all of a sudden tons of games are coming out.
Is there a reason for this? Is it an American thing or what?

Also got a WiiU, really happy with it.

Edit:I thought it would be better to have all my completed games in one post. So this explains the huge post.

Bought:

• MGS 1 (PS1)
  • Future Tactics: The Uprising (PS2)
  • God Hand (PS2)
  • Guilty Gear XX #reload (PS2)
  • The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction (PS2)
  • Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy (PS2)
  • Viewtiful Joe (PS2)
  • Viewtiful Joe 2 (PS2)
  • Yakuza (PS2)
  • Yakuza 2 (PS2)
  • The Punisher (PS2)
  • Yakuza 3 (PS3)
  • Yakuza 4 (PS3)
  • MGS 4 (PS3)
  • Infamous (PS3)
  • Infamous 2 (PS3)
  • Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition (360)
  • MGS HD Collection (360)
  • DMC HD Collection (360)
  • The Walking Dead Season 2 (360)
  • The Wolf Among Us (360)
  • WET (360)
  • Danganronpa Trigger Happy Havoc (Vita)
  • Freedom Wars (Vita)
  • Fantasy Life (3DS)
  • Bayonetta 1 and 2 Special Edition (WiiU)
  • The Wonderful 101 (WiiU)
  • Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (WiiU)

Games completed in 2014:

• MGS1 (PS1) (+1)
  • Prototype (360) (+1)
  • Prototype 2 (360) (+1)
  • Viewtiful Joe (PS2) (+1)
  • God Hand (PS2) (+1)
  • The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction (PS2) (+1)
  • Infamous (PS3) (+1)
  • Infamous 2 (PS3) (+1)
  • The Wolf Among Us (360) (+1)
  • The Walking Dead Season 2 (360) (+1)
  • Danganronpa Trigger Happy Havoc (Vita) (+1)
  • Muramasa Rebirth (PS+) (+1)
  • Yakuza (PS2) (+1)
  • Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS) (+1)
  • Pokemon X (3DS) (+1)
  • Devil Survivor Overclocked (3DS) (+1)
  • Saints Row 4 (PC) (+1)
  • Madoka Grief Syndrome (PC) (+1)
  • DMC 1 HD (360) (+1)
  • DMC 3 HD (360) (+1)
  • MGS 2 HD (360) (+1)
  • MGS 3 HD (360) (+1)
  • MGS Peace Walker HD (360) (+1)
  • Yakuza 2 (PS2) (+1)
  • Yakuza 3 (PS3) (+1)
  • Yakuza 4 (PS3) (+1)
  • Bayonetta (WiiU) (+1)
  • Bayonetta 2 (WiiU) (+1)

Currently playing:

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (WiiU)

Backlog (In order of priority):

• The Wonderful 101 (WiiU)
  • The Punisher (PS2)
  • Fantasy Life (3DS)
  • MGS 4 (PS3)
  • Dark Souls Prepare to Die edition (360)

Total bought in 2014 so far: 29
Total completed 2014 so far: 28

Score: -29/+28 (-1)

Onislash

Got Bayonetta 2 and 1, Pokemon Alpha Sapphire, Shin Megami Tensei IV, Hatsune Miku Project Diva F, Senran Kagura: Bon Appetit! and Persona 4: Arena Ultimax plus Beat Bayonetta 2 and 1, Hatsune Miku Project Diva F, Senran Kagura: Bon Appetit! and Persona 4: Arena Ultimax

October progress score: -14

My backloggery

Beaten in 2014: 57
Bought in 2014: 72
Current Score: -15

Bought this month:

Bayonetta 2
Bayonetta 1
Pokemon Alpha Sapphire
Shin Megami Tensei IV
Hatsune Miku Project Diva F
Senran Kagura: Bon Appetit!
Persona 4: Arena Ultimax
Freedom Wars
Tales of Hearts R
Tears to Tiara: Heir of the Overlord

Beaten this month:

Bayonetta 2
Bayonetta 1
Hatsune Miku Project Diva F
Senran Kagura: Bon Appetit!
Persona 4: Arena Ultimax
Freedom Wars
Tales of Xillia
Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair
Tales of Xillia 2

Playing :

Shin Megami Tensei IV
Tales of Hearts R

Priorities:

Shin Megami Tensei IV

Arukado

- 11/28:
• Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 (PC) and Castlevania Lords of Shadow – Mirror of Fate HD (PC) purchased on steam. Since i played both already, they are not backlog.​
• I've been thinking for a while, and i've come to terms with the next decision: i'm going to count Injustice Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition (PC) and Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (PSP) as beaten. I haven't completed the star lab yet on Injustice, and i've only completed the old lady missions on Monster Hunter, but i've already got my experience with the time i spent with both games and i don't think i will keep playing them (in fact, i haven't played Monster Hunter since 2012). Time to move on.​
Purchased in 2014: -30Beaten in 2014: +27
Total: -3

Currently Playing:
On Hold:

The_Dude

Another terrible month, progress-wise. Hopefully I can redeem myself in the last month of the year, although with Christmas and the Steam sale...

----

Bought in 2014: 19
Finished in 2014: 24
Current Score: +5

---

Bought in November: 3
Finished in November: 0
November Score: -3

Bought:
Far Cry 4
Killer Is Dead
Shin Megami Tensei IV

Finished:
NOTHING!

marcincz

End of the month for me. Almost end of the year. Too fast, too fast.
I hope I'll beat >30 games per year.

My backloggery

Bought in 2014: 27
2. Black (PS2)
8. Blue Dragon (X360)
12. Sleeping Dogs (X360)
16. Killer 7 (PS2)
18. Bayonetta (X360)
19. Brutal Legend (PS3)
21. Fear Effect (PS1)
26. Heavenly Sword (PS3)
27. Fahrenheit (PS2)
28. The Orange Box (X360)
29. The Last of Us Remastered (PS4)
30, DmC
31. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
32. Kingdom Hearts 1,5 HD

Beat in 2014: 23
6. Devil May Cry (PS3)
15. Sleeping Dogs (X360)
17. Bastion (X360)
18. PGR 3 (X360)
19. Bayonetta (X360)
20. Black (PS2)
25. Blue Dragon (X360)
26. The Witcher 2 (X360)
27. The Last of Us Remastered (PS4)
28. Left Behind (PS4)

Current Score: -4

Currently Playing:
The Walking Dead Goty (PS3)

Worst gaming month in years. I only beat a single new game, and it was a remake of something I already had beaten before. Most of my gaming time is currently spent playing a 60 hour RPG. Hopefully I will have time to complete a few shorter games next month.

8mkTIhG.png

Added the following games to the backlog:
November -7
• Little Big Adventure *
• Bayonetta 2
• The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth †
• Sentinel 4: Dark Star
• Persona 4 Arena Ultimax
• Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth
• Wii Party U

Completed:
November +1
• The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth

* - free
† - "free" from Playstation Plus

Previous months
• January
• February
• March
• April
• May
• June
• July
• August
• September
• October

Backloggery (392 games in backlog)

November Update:
October post
Backloggery.

Still possible to get a positive score for the year, but I don't think it is likely. Not planning on buying anything else but only expect to finish two more games this year. We'll see.

Strikes are +/-0

November Bought:
Tales of Hearts R (Vita)
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
Persona Q: Shadows of the Labyrinth (3DS)
Akiba's Trip: Undead and Undressed (PS4)

November Beaten:
Fantasy Life
The Wonderful 101
Akiba's Trip: Undead and Undressed
+3

November Score: 0

2014 Bought: 35
2014 Beaten: 32

Total Score: -3

Het_Nkik

November Update

Bought in November: 8
Beat in November: 0
November Score: -8

Beaten in November:
  • NOTHING!

---------------------------------------------------

2014 Total So Far

Bought in 2014: 154
Beat in 2014: 37
2014 Score: -117

Beaten in 2014:
  • Samorost 2
  • NightSky
  • Dear Esther
  • Gone Home
  • Machinarium
  • Mario Golf [GBC]
  • Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3
  • Picross 2
  • Kersploosh!
  • Yoshi's Story
  • Rayman Legends
  • Yoshi Topsy-Turvy
  • 3D Sonic the Hedgehog
  • Batman: Arkham Asylum
  • Batman: Arkham City
  • 3D Space Harrier
  • 3D Galaxy Force II
  • Yoshi's Island DS
  • Kirby's Return to Dream Land
  • Kirby Super Star Ultra
  • Kirby's Epic Yarn
  • Mario Kart 7
  • Fluidity: Spin Cycle
  • Mario Kart 8
  • Samurai Spirits!
  • Samurai Shodown! 2
  • King of Fighters R-1
  • King of Fighters R-2
  • Fatal Fury: First Contact
  • SNK Gals Fighters
  • Pushmo
  • Sonic the Hedgehog Pocket Adventure
  • NES Remix 2
  • Crashmo
  • Mighty Gunvolt

Bought just a few games this month. Wasn't able to beat anything, though I'm just 6 challenges away from completing everything in Smash Bros. 3DS, so hopefully that's something I can add to the list in December.

12/01/14 Update
Backloggery

Ended up getting a Xbox One with the price drop and kept on my negative path. Was really having a strong year staying in the positive until October hit. I'm guessing I'll probably get around 4 games this month thanks to the holidays, so I'd have to hit 6 beat for the month to get back to 0. Not looking likely, but there are a few shorter games I could try to tackle.

Bought in 2014: -71
Beat in 2014: +69
Current Score: -2

Bought

• Bravely Default
  • Strider
  • Thief (2014)
  • Titanfall
  • Yoshi's New Island
  • Luftrausers
  • Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Enhanced Edition
  • Mercenary Kings
  • Dead Nation
  • Dark Souls II
  • NES Remix 2
  • Child of Light
  • Kirby Triple Deluxe
  • Transistor
  • Mario Kart 8
  • Watch_Dogs
  • Mega Man V (GB)
  • Sonic Generations
  • Sanctum 2
  • Double Dragon Neon
  • Divinity: Original Sin
  • Cloudberry Kingdom
  • Ikaruga
  • Shovel Knight
  • Killzone Shadow Fall
  • Resogun
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Warframe
  • TowerFall Ascension
  • Azure Striker Gunvolt
  • Mighty Gunvolt
  • Destiny
  • Gauntlet (2014)
  • Hyrule Warriors
  • Super Smash Bros. 3DS
  • DriveClub
  • Bayonetta
  • Bayonetta 2
  • Fantasy Life
  • Crypt of the NecroDancer
  • Lords of the Fallen
  • Freedom Wars
  • Demon's Crest
  • Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
  • Sunset Overdrive
  • Volgarr the Viking
  • D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die
  • Halo: The Master Chief Collection
  • Dragon Age: Inquisition
  • Super Smash Bros. Wii U
  • Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions
Beaten:

• Metro: Last Light
  • DuckTales Remastered
  • BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea Episode 1
  • The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing
  • Aliens: Colonial Marines
  • Halo: Spartan Assault
  • Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge
  • NES Remix
  • DmC Devil May Cry
  • Batman: Arkham Origins
  • Sonic: Lost World (Wii U)
  • Strider
  • Muramasa Rebirth
  • Plants vs Zombies (Vita)
  • Thief (2014)
  • Bravely Default
  • Titanfall
  • Dishonored
  • Yoshi's New Island
  • Dead Nation
  • NES Remix 2
  • Rogue Legacy
  • Kirby Triple Deluxe
  • Child of Light
  • Guild Wars 2
  • Transistor
  • Mega Man V
  • Mario Kart 8
  • Defiance
  • Sonic Generations
  • Watch_Dogs
  • Shovel Knight
  • Ikaruga
  • Resogun
  • TowerFall Ascension
  • Double Dragon: Neon
  • Killzone: Shadow Fall
  • Fire Emblem Awakening
  • Mighty Gunvolt
  • Azure Striker Gunvolt
  • Luftrausers
  • Destiny
  • Gauntlet (2014)
  • Doki-Doki Universe
  • Hyrule Warriors
  • Super Smash Bros. 3DS
  • Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
  • Super Smash Bros. Wii U
  • Sunset Overdrive
Currently Playing:

• Too much

November Update:

Backloggery

With Black Friday, added an Xbox One to the mix and bought a bunch of other games this month. Shouldn't be buying much of anything else the rest of the year, though, and will have plenty of time in December for attacking the new games at the top of the list.

Bought (-9):
  • Shovel Knight (Wii U)
  • Murdered: Soul Suspect (PS4)
  • Super Smash Bros. (3DS)
  • Star Fox 64 3D (3DS)
  • Super Smash Bros. (Wii U)
  • Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor (PS4)
  • Far Cry 4 (PS4)
  • Sunset Overdrive (Xbox One)
  • Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox One)
Beaten (+3):
  • Bayonetta 2 (Wii U)
  • Shovel Knight (Wii U)
Currently Playing:
  • Super Smash Bros. (Wii U)
  • Sunset Overdrive (Xbox One)
Backlog Priorities:
  • Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor (PS4)
  • Far Cry 4 (PS4)
  • Destiny (PS4)
  • Murdered: Soul Suspect (PS4)
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops II (Wii U)
Bought in 2014: 31
Beat in 2014: 39
Current Score: +8

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
End of November Update:

Purchased in November: 49

1. Condemned: Criminal Origins (PC) 11/2
  2. Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel (PC) 11/2
  3. The Room (PC) 11/3
  4. Snow Light (PC) 11/4
  5. Crow (PC) 11/4
  6. Eldritch (PC) 11/4
  7. The Novelist (PC) 11/4
  8. Metro 2033 (PC) 11/7
  9. Pokémon Puzzle Challenge (3DS VC) 11/9
  10. Valkyria Chronicles (PC) 11/11
  11. Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure (PC) 11/11
  12. Euro Truck Simulator 2 (PC) 11/11
  13. Blackguards (PC) 11/11
  14. Septerra Core (PC) 11/11
  15. The Legendary Starfy (DS) 11/12
  16. Elite Beat Agents (DS) 11/12
  17. Lux Pain (DS) 11/12
  18. Sword of the Samurai (PC) 11/13
  19. Slave Zero (PC) 11/13
  20. Rex Nebular and the Cosmic Gender Bender (PC) 11/13
  21. BloodNet (PC) 11/13
  22. Shadow Ops: Red Mercury (PC) 11/13
  23. BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger (PC) 11/14
  24. Sid Meier's Pirates! Gold Plus (PC) 11/14
  25. Dragonsphere (PC) 11/14
  26. Gold Rush! Anniversary (PC) 11/15
  27. Sakura Spirit (PC) 11/16
  28. Kirby's Pinball Land (3DS VC) 11/16
  29. Metroid II: Return of Samus (3DS VC) 11/16
  30. Luna: Shattered Hearts: Episode 1 (PC) 11/18
  31. Rise of Nations (PC) 11/20
  32. World War One: Centennial Edition (PC) 11/21
  33. Quest for Infamy (PC) 11/21
  34. Pokémon Omega Ruby (3DS) 11/22
  35. Deus Ex: Human Revolution: Director's Cut (PC) 11/22
  36. Deus Ex: The Fall (PC) 11/22
  37. Deus Ex: Invisible War (PC) 11/22
  38. The Moon Sliver (PC) 11/24
  39. Bionic Heart 2 (PC) 11/24
  40. Empire: Total War (PC) 11/25
  41. Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (PC) 11/25
  42. NiGHTS Into Dreams (PC) 11/25
  43. Space Channel 5: Part 2 (PC) 11/25
  44. SEGA Bass Fishing (PC) 11/25
  45. Crazy Taxi (PC) 11/25
  46. Sonic Adventure DX (PC) 11/25
  47. Silent Hill: Homecoming (PC) 11/27
  48. State of Decay (PC) 11/28
  49. SoD: Lifeline (PC) 11/28

Finished in November: 6

1. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (PC) 11/2
  2. Floating Point (PC) 11/2
  3. DreadOut: Act I (PC) 11/3
  4. Condemned: Criminal Origins (PC) 11/10
  5. Sakura Spirit (PC) 11/17
  6. Harvest Moon 3D: The Tale of Two Towns (3DS) 11/18

Monthly Score for November: -43

Monthly Score for January: 0
Monthly Score for February: -5
Monthly Score for March: -17
Monthly Score for April: -30
Monthly Score for May: -65
Monthly Score for June: -60
Monthly Score for July: -70
Monthly Score for August: -33
Monthly Score for September: -39
Monthly Score for October: -41
Overall 2014 Score: -403

...I really need to make a new post in the 52 games challenge thread.

Updated Original Post

November update. Slight progress, maybe? Certainly didn't buy as much

Also revised my totals for games I actually bought myself, instead of my brother picking up to add to the pool. Also removed from the total games I rebought that were already in my backlog from my score

My Backloggery
October update

Beaten in November 2014: 2
Bought in November 2014: 2

Beaten in 2014: 16
Bought in 2014: 46 (+11)

Beaten in November 2014:
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS
(not sure how I want to count those, but I saw credits in both, so...)

Bought in November 2014:

Score: -30

Currently Playing:
Hyrule Warriors
Bayonetta

Backloggery

January Post (-3)
February Post (-6)
March Post (-6)
April Post (-7)
May Post (-8)
June Post (-7)
July Post (-9)
August Post (-10)
September Post (-10)
October Post (-9)

Current Score: (-9)

Games that don't count (rented or PS+ games finished or purchased games previously beaten):

Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor (PS4) - Bought but already finished this during a rental last month. Easy impulse purchase when it hit $30 on the flash sale. Might be as high as #2 on my GOTY list this year.
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (PS4) - Finished the campaign during a rental. Loved the variety in the look of each level. This is a really good looking game.

Bought in November 2014 (-1):

Dragon Age: Inquisition (PS4)

Finished in November 2014 (1):

The Binding of Isaac - "Finished" is very relative here. I beat Mom for the first time. That's good enough for me.

Currently Playing:

Lords of the Fallen (PS4) - Pretty close to the end I think. I somewhat came around on this game but I don't think I'll keep it. It's alright but I wish it ran better, and I certainly wouldn't replay it once Bloodborne comes out.
Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath (PS Vita) - I downloaded this thanks to PS+ a while back and am just now trying it out. I've bagged a few outlaws and so far it seems pretty solid.
Assassin's Creed: Unity (PS4) - Honestly I'm used to this franchise running like complete shit, so the framerate hasn't bugged me much. I decided early on to switch the audio to French as well, which has dramatically helped my appreciation of the setting. Regardless I haven't gone back to it since Far Cry 4 came out and I'm not itching for it.
Far Cry 4 (PS4) - I can't imagine that this will not be my GOTY. It's almost perfect. Have another seven or so main missions to do which shouldn't take long but there are a ton of distractions and I haven't found one aspect of the game yet that is not fun as hell.
Steamworld: Dig (PS4 / PS Vita) - Should finish it very soon. It's neat but I doubt I'll replay it, though I would be interested if / when a sequel comes out.
Dragon Age: Inquisition (PS4) - No complaints yet but I'm not very far in, I'll get back to it when I'm done with Far Cry 4. This seems like something I'll really want to take my time with.

Top Bottom