• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Arcade Stick Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
I keep looking at my parts bin and sketching designs. I'm probably going to build myself a new stick. Just in case the SFIV one is no good... I can be pretty picky when it comes to arcade sticks.

Jirotrom

Hey guys, Im selling 2 Sticks...
Tekken 5 limited edition stick,
And Street Fighter 15th anniversary stick that works with both PS2 and Xbox. The box for the Street fighter stick is a little damaged, not the stick itself but the box. I have the poster and the little booklet that came with the stick as well. Check the official Buy sell thread its in there.

gkryhewy

I just bought this 360 custom stick on ebay for about $80 shipped (after live.com cashback):

120275063092_1_0_1.jpg

Claims to be all Happ parts, and looks like an early arcadeinabox build. I generally prefer Japanese ball-top sticks, but I'm pretty psyched about this. Assuming this works, I'll be looking to sell or trade my Hori Fighting Stick EX2 - if anyone is interested, PM me.

EDIT: Yeah, it's an arcadeinabox stick (sweeeeet!):

oxmreview.jpg

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Thanks for that XBCD driver guide. Made a world of difference. Didn't realize just how broken the EX2 is on a PC with out it.

My buttons should be here today or tomorrow. Can't wait.

Done.

Was a bitch to do, but worth it in the end. Crystal Ball top and I'm done. I don't need no art on the thing.

IMG_0986.jpg

IMG_0987.jpg

Okay, so I've been going through my collection and I'm trying to clear some out...

Look at what I found....

Official Guilty Gear stick anyone?

DSC07517.jpg

DSC07518.jpg

DSC07519.jpg

Any takers?

RyanDG

MarkMan said:
Price? 25,780円 :(

I can already see Play-Asia/NCSX Charging over $300+ for this unit.

Comes out in September.

I almost had a heart attack looking at the price, but then I realized that at least the game comes with it too for that amount. It's not as bad as I thought, but it's still pretty high. The shooting fan in me however is tempting me to order it just as soon as its available and basically telling me to screw the price.

Giant Robot said:
Will this work on a PS3?

With one of those PS2->PS3 adapters it should. I haven't tried nor kept up to date with what types of adapters are out and work since I bought a HORI Real Arcade Pro Stick 3.

Lee N

Membre
MarkMan said:
Price? 25,780円 :(
Yeah, it's expensive.. but the price includes the game (Otomedius) and a set of 6 bages with characters from the game.. and on top of that the arcade stick has a touch pad to be used with the game.

Nonetheless.. ouch.

Mattlikewhoa said:
With one of those PS2->PS3 adapters it should. I haven't tried nor kept up to date with what types of adapters are out and work since I bought a HORI Real Arcade Pro Stick 3.

hmmm, thanks. I think i'll pass. I actually might be letting my HRAP3 go to fund towards the Xbox 360 version.

any takers on my HRAP3?

DaCocoBrova

Teknopathetic said:
Nice mod, DCB.

Thanks. I just ordered this:

crystal_ball.jpg

Now I'm officially done with it.

I think I want to build one from scratch next. Other than burning my fingers on the soldering iron, it wasn't too bad. Well worth it in the end.

gkryhewy

My arcadeinabox 360 stick arrived, via eBay. Good as new, and it's awesome! :lol I don't know much about sticks, except that I like them. I may try to swap out the bat stick for a ball top at some point, but maybe not.

The stick works best as a table (or stool!)-top stick, but it's okay in my lap too. Arcade-in-a-box sells slim sticks now, I think (as an option).

aib1.jpg

aib2.jpg

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Awaiting my Hori EX2 for the 360 (courtesy of gkrykewy). Can't wait to play with it and see what mods I'd like to attempt.

I'm thinking an 8 way gate, bat top and concave buttons are must-haves despite their involved installation process. I haven't figured out which brand to get yet but Lizardlick and Shoryuken forums are my friend :D

Regarding new art for EX2's: does anyone have a template on their computer that I can (attempt to) photoshop? Or if someone with photoshop skills and an EX2 template wants to earn some moneies+free comics PM me and we can work something out!

CPS2

I don't think you're gonna be able to get concave buttons into it. They're usually a fair bit longer than convex, and the base is too small.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
The EX2 casing is definitely too small for any Happ style convex/concave buttons ;(

It can be done, but it won't be pretty.

jon bones

thanks for the fast replies, there goes that idea :lol

still, making new art and installing a new stick will keep me plenty busy (and satisfied). i really just want to play street fighter like i used to back at the arcades of my youth

Sorry if I missed it somewhere in the thread, but how are these custom 360 sticks being made? Hacked up controllers?

If that's all it is I'll take some of my happ controls from my currently unfinished arcade cab and make my own.

Looks like they're taking apart the Hori stick on those forums...

EDIT: ooohhh, and a wired 360 pad. Shit just got interesting.

dock

windy-guitar.jpg
windy-drawer.jpg

Just moved house and brought this little monster with me. This represents my arcade sticks of choice - two fully Sanwa sticks with octagonal restrictor plate. I have it set up with a modded xbox and PS2 hooked up to it via RGB, and it serves me well. The xbox lives in a drawer now which reduces the noise and hides the 'evidence' nicely. (apologies for the pics)

dock UK said:
windy-guitar.jpg
windy-drawer.jpg

Just moved house and brought this little monster with me. This represents my arcade sticks of choice - two fully Sanwa sticks with octagonal restrictor plate. I have it set up with a modded xbox and PS2 hooked up to it via RGB, and it serves me well. The xbox lives in a drawer now which reduces the noise and hides the 'evidence' nicely. (apologies for the pics)

Is that a Candy cab? Hard to tell how tall it is.

dock UK said:
Yep, it's a Konami Windy cabinet with 29" screen, pretty similar to the Astro City cabinets.

Nice, in case anyone wants to see, I dug up some old pics of where I left off with the cab I was building. Since then, I've stained it, cleaned and installed the coin door and wired the controls. I'll try and get some pics of the controls.

cab_small.jpg
monitor_installed_2_net.jpg
coindoor_small.jpg

dock

DaCocoBrova said:
^^
What controller adapters are you using? Any lag?
sj-dragoncube-xbgc-adapter.jpg

'Dragoncube' adapters. They're completely lagless, proven neatly when we've played a ton of 3rd Strike on this machine and parrying is always perfect.

Askia47

I think I’m going to pick up a Hori HRAP3 on my way home, and for the time being I’m going to use it for PC until I get ps3. This will be my first *good* arcade stick, (the only other one I have is a Super Advantage). Any one have any tips on how to get used to it, and how it performs on PC?

Jirotrom

DaCocoBrova said:
Thanks for that XBCD driver guide. Made a world of difference. Didn't realize just how broken the EX2 is on a PC with out it.

My buttons should be here today or tomorrow. Can't wait.

Done.

Was a bitch to do, but worth it in the end. Crystal Ball top and I'm done. I don't need no art on the thing.

IMG_0986.jpg

IMG_0987.jpg
very nice... hit me up if you want to play some VF5 my tag is Jirotrom

I may be remembering incorrectly, but I thought DCB was very much content with gamepads in the VF5 v.C thread. I wonder what made him change his mind.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Game Watch Impress Japan just published their review on the Hori Real Arcade Pro EX for the Xbox 360.

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20080710/ggl.htm

Nice HQ pics here. I'm going to review the stick, but I wonder if I should wait for Soul Calibur IV... Right now all I can base my review on is VF5, STHD Beta, and Hyper Fighting...

As you can see they’ve done some different things compared to their other sticks in the Real Arcade Pro line. The HRAP EX still uses a Sanwa stick (JLF-TM-8T-SK-K) opposed to the more commonly used (JLF-TP-8Y-SK). The buttons however are not Sanwa and are made by Hori which modeled them almost exactly as Sanwa clones… Another issue with this stick is the button layout for the 4 main action buttons, they’re slanted at an opposite angle from which most main action buttons are…

The buttons use quick disconnects like other Real Arcade Pro sticks, but for some reason, there are no quick disconnects for the directional joystick this time around. Another interesting note is with the Live headset it has a separate area for placing the wire so it won’t interfere with actual game play, as seen here:

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20080710/ggl20.htm

For the price Hori is charging this time around, I’d say this is a pretty barebones/meager arcade stick. It is just essentially a bigger version of their EX2 arcade stick with a better stick and quick disconnect buttons.

jon bones

shas'la said:
Please explain!?

i posted a question regarding the Hori EX2 buttons and what kinds of problems they are prone to having on here and the srk forums. it was answered their first so i deleted it here.

now that i mention it, though. it would be really good to get GAFs feedback on their EX2s and the kinds of issues they've run into.

-i hear the buttons crap out, so i am buying 6 sanwa obsf 30mms to chop and solder in with the help of this:
http://forums.shoryuken.com/showpost.php?p=4755379&postcount=23

-i hate square gates, so i am buying an 8 way gate to ghetto rig onto the stock stick as per:
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149488&referrerid=13029

-but now i hear the pcb is prone to breaking and i have NO IDEA what to do if that happens. it's probably hard to fix and expensive, though :(

the full SRK thread:
http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=159997

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Looks like the HRAP EX is easily moddable for a Seimitsu LS32 stick... which is awesome.

goooooooooooo

DaCocoBrova

Attack You said:
I may be remembering incorrectly, but I thought DCB was very much content with gamepads in the VF5 v.C thread. I wonder what made him change his mind.

PS3... I can deal w/ the pad...

360... Hell to the No!

360 VF5 > PS3 VF5.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Askia47 said:
Got the stick...this is fuckin hard to use......its going to take a while to get used to

Don't worry, it might feel a bit odd at first, but after you get used to JPN style sticks it plays like a dream! (assuming you can adapt well!) ^_^

kazuo

shas'la said:
Shit. missed out.

Anyone know anywhere else stocking this?

Not that I know of. NCS is also pre-sold out (though I have an open preorder, I may have to bail since I have more pressing things to spend my money on at the moment... if anyone wants it, PM me and we'll work something out)

NCS also recently opened preorders for the Otomeidus bundle. Youch at the price, but it can't be helped.
http://www.shopncsx.com/hspotomedius.aspx

OK, so for the project I posted a few posts back.

Somewhere along the line that TV I have installed in it got fucked. Won't even turn on.

Now I have a problem. CRTs are easy enough to come by on Craigslist, but I wonder if anyone has had any experience with arcade cabs and LCD monitors.

I loved the CRT 'look' because it seemed authentic, but it would be soooo much easier (and more lightweight) to install a flat panel instead.

Are modern arcade machines running LCD's these days? I haven't been in an proper arcade in years.

EDIT: (post #829)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom