• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Arcade Stick Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I gotta say, I never thought I'd see the day Hori would scramble to redo their line after being one-upped by Mad Catz of all companies. :lol

Now, if companies could find a way to make the sticks slightly cheaper...

I wish those HRAP V's were compatible with both the PS3 and Xbox 360. Unless there's an adapter, or something?

Meanwhile, I think I'll just stick Vewlix templates on my TE sticks and call it a day.

SmokyDave

MarkMan said:
Some pics for some upcoming articles I'm throwing up on SDTEKKEN site:

4161688133_7d59d36d60_o.jpg
Oh wow. One of these please. Modded for 360 / PS3. Time to open the wallet!

So i managed to snag a madkatz te stick for a reasonable price. and holy shit, does the sanwa stick make a difference, even when compaired to the hrap's ive used. the Sanwa buttons also seem alot more sensitive than the hori's ive delt with. within 5 mins of us i was able to pull spds out like nothing.I can actually think about playing gief now! unlike when i played mainly with a pad!. move execution is still tricky, but wow. Im impressed with the stick, i also find it sits in the lap easier than a HRAP.

Mr Jared

Grifter said:
Are Round2 TEs available somewhere?

From what I can tell, retailers are already sending out Round 2's, though its tough to figure out exactly which ones they are. Its the same SKU so places like Amazon and GameStop haven't created new product pages, though they've changed the product images to reflect the Round 2's.

I wrote a review for it over at iPlayWinner and surprise, its the exact same stick! Still, pictures of Momo never hurts.

http://iplaywinner.com/news/2009/12/8/mad-catz-tournament-edition-fight-stick-round-2-review.html

Got my Sanwa Stick/Buttons for my FightStick SE yesterday ...holy shit are my thumbs raw trying to push those things in (still hurt this morning). Had to end up philing the little nubs down to get them in. Also had to gently pull the buttons prongs off the back of the buttons with pliers =(
Stick was cake to get in though and now i'm good to go. Like night and day.

Bob Coffee said:
So i managed to snag a madkatz te stick for a reasonable price. and holy shit, does the sanwa stick make a difference, even when compaired to the hrap's ive used. the Sanwa buttons also seem alot more sensitive than the hori's ive delt with. within 5 mins of us i was able to pull spds out like nothing.I can actually think about playing gief now! unlike when i played mainly with a pad!. move execution is still tricky, but wow. Im impressed with the stick, i also find it sits in the lap easier than a HRAP.

Yeah stock HRAP is too loose if you ask me, and the sticks themselves are too light.

Heavy stick with a tight, arcade grade stick and I'm ready to go. Which reminds me, I guess I'm biting 360 TE. Now, I wanna ask ya'll, how easy are these to get "dual modded" (aka, works on both PS3 and 360)?

Arpharmd B said:
Yeah stock HRAP is too loose if you ask me, and the sticks themselves are too light.

Heavy stick with a tight, arcade grade stick and I'm ready to go. Which reminds me, I guess I'm biting 360 TE. Now, I wanna ask ya'll, how easy are these to get "dual modded" (aka, works on both PS3 and 360)?
There easy to MOD. IMP plus Chutulu and your good. Here's a link for reference. http://www.arcadepower.ca/tutorial07.html

AZ Greg

Couple things:

Is the PC/PS3 Cthulhu board the cheapest no soldering involved way to connect my parts to my PC for my MAME cabinet project? I can grab one off of Lizard Lick for $30. The PS3 compatibility is not needed so I was just wondering if there was a cheaper PC option available.

Also, just wanted to give Lizard Lick some love. I've been e-mailing back and forth with Chad asking him various questions about my project and he has been extremely helpful. Even went out of his way to take a picture for me with the two colors of parts I'm going to go with:

Gonna go all red for 1P and all blue for 2P.

sifu

Neo Member
I was just wondering if the Mad Catz SFIV "Round 2" TE FightStick will be released in Europe too...or are they already available in Europe?
Haven't found a shop yet....

mm04

I figured I'd ask here since you guys would know better than anyone but what games would you recommend to buy for a PS3 that work well with an arcade stick besides SF4? I ordered a custom Arcade-In-A-Box PS3 stick for my brother for Christmas since he's a Street Fighter fanatic and has been drooling over one to replace the custom arcade sticks we owned for the SNES and SF2 back in the day. I also bought a HRAP 3-SA for myself as it was on sale on Amazon for $90 this week.

So help me out Arcade Stick GAF and give me some recommend me some games! I have not played a fighter or arcade shooter seriously in years, but I can't let these good sticks go to waste! I did buy SSF2HD last night and boy has my timing and technique deteriorated :lol .

mm04 said:
I figured I'd ask here since you guys would know better than anyone but what games would you recommend to buy for a PS3 that work well with an arcade stick besides SF4? I ordered a custom Arcade-In-A-Box PS3 stick for my brother for Christmas since he's a Street Fighter fanatic and has been drooling over one to replace the custom arcade sticks we owned for the SNES and SF2 back in the day. I also bought a HRAP 3-SA for myself as it was on sale on Amazon for $90 this week.

So help me out Arcade Stick GAF and give me some recommend me some games! I have not played a fighter or arcade shooter seriously in years, but I can't let these good sticks go to waste! I did buy SSF2HD last night and boy has my timing and technique deteriorated :lol .

Soul Calibur IV, Virtua Fighter 5, BlazBlue, Tekken 6, Tekken5DR (if you'd rather not bother with T6 being new and all) are all fighting games on the system. I really wish there WERE some vertical shmups on it. :(

chunk3rvd

Finally got my TE stick the other day but I have a few problems with it. I bought the stick off an ebay store and it was listed as new: LINK

1st problem is minor but there's a blue mark/scuff on the top of my stick. I can live with it but it's not something I expected from a new product

2nd problem is a much bigger issue. One of my button's is dodgy as hell (Youtube Vid). That button is very sticky and has a totally different feel to the others. I'm using the middle 4 for Tekken and sometimes it's going for throws when I hit RP as it think's RK is premanently pressed in

What route am I best taking? I figure I could:

a) Return it to the ebay seller

b) Send it back to Madcatz (would my warranty still be worth anything when I purchase from an ebay store?)

c) Just buy one of these buttons off ebay and pop that in my stick. I imagine this would be the easiest solution. Is that the right button? I'm assuming the 30 references it being 30mm which I believe is what the stick uses?

Yes Boss!

chunk3rvd said:
2nd problem is a much bigger issue. One of my button's is dodgy as hell (Youtube Vid). That button is very sticky and has a totally different feel to the others. I'm using the middle 4 for Tekken and sometimes it's going for throws when I hit RP as it think's RK is premanently pressed in

That looks like one of the wires inside is pushing up on the button awkwardly. First thing to do is to pop it open from the top with an allen wrench and rearrange/shift the internal wiring slightly.

AZ Greg

chunk3rvd said:
Finally got my TE stick the other day but I have a few problems with it. I bought the stick off an ebay store and it was listed as new: LINK

1st problem is minor but there's a blue mark/scuff on the top of my stick. I can live with it but it's not something I expected from a new product

What route am I best taking? I figure I could:

a) Return it to the ebay seller

b) Send it back to Madcatz (would my warranty still be worth anything when I purchase from an ebay store?)

c) Just buy one of these buttons off ebay and pop that in my stick. I imagine this would be the easiest solution. Is that the right button? I'm assuming the 30 references it being 30mm which I believe is what the stick uses?

Before you try any fixes/replacements your self, I'd e-mail Madcatz. Their customer service reps seem really intent on satisfying all their customers, at least as of late. I had some problems with a TE stick a few months ago and after e-mailing them they set me right. And although I was within warranty, they never asked for any proof almost as if they didn't care about the 90 days and just wanted to make me happy. So it's worth a shot just to let them know your issues.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
<3

I did an arcade stick podcast with the man ShinJN (stick modder/custom maker extraordinaire)... it will be part of the next episode of the SDT podcast! 30 minutes of arcade sticks! Hope it won't put you guys to sleep lol...

SUPREME1

Banned
What's ArcadeStickGAF's concensus opinion on the Tekken6 arcade stick?

Is is a legit/solid stick?

Is it crap? If so, is it still better than others?

What stick(s) should be avoided?

Which sticks are considered the best under $150, main stream, unmodded.

Thanks GAF. This'll help me out a lot.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
ImperialConquest said:
What's ArcadeStickGAF's concensus opinion on the Tekken6 arcade stick?

Is is a legit/solid stick?

Is it crap? If so, is it still better than others?

What stick(s) should be avoided?

Which sticks are considered the best under $150, main stream, unmodded.

Thanks GAF. This'll help me out a lot.

It's a legit stick yea.

Solid, not as much as others.

It is not crap. But there are a ton of sticks better than it.

If you're willing to spend under $150, I would recommend either:

TE Stick (SF4 Rd. 1 or Rd. 2 or MVC2)
HRAP EX SE
HRAP 3 SA

Either of those are good to go.

zugzug

MarkMan said:
It's a legit stick yea.

Solid, not as much as others.

It is not crap. But there are a ton of sticks better than it.

If you're willing to spend under $150, I would recommend either:

TE Stick (SF4 Rd. 1 or Rd. 2 or MVC2)
HRAP EX SE
HRAP 3 SA

Either of those are good to go.

A shame markman that you ignore your PM's when someone asks you a question.

Dreavus

I was playing Blazblue on my Madcatz SE stick the other night, and more than once my "B" attack (middle button along the top) completely blanked out on me. Ended up coming back each time but it's been a little bit spotty ever since. Would switching out the buttons for new ones fix my problem, or could it be another connection issue? I'm thinking it might be general wear and tear, considering how much I use that button over the others (Jin's B is a godsend, both air and ground versions :lol )

Any advice? I was planning on replacing the buttons at some point, but now it might be sooner rather than later.

AZ Greg

Dreavus said:
I was playing Blazblue on my Madcatz SE stick the other night, and more than once my "B" attack (middle button along the top) completely blanked out on me. Ended up coming back each time but it's been a little bit spotty ever since. Would switching out the buttons for new ones fix my problem, or could it be another connection issue? I'm thinking it might be general wear and tear, considering how much I use that button over the others (Jin's B is a godsend, both air and ground versions :lol )

Any advice? I was planning on replacing the buttons at some point, but now it might be sooner rather than later.

Is it the issue where unplugging and plugging it back in fix it? If so I think that's a PCB issue. A friend of mine had his RT and LT randomly stop working from time to time so he replaced the buttons with some Sanwas but he still had the problems.

Dreavus said:

Could be the PCB issues some have had, but it also could be the stock button wearing out. The cloned buttons are pretty nasty once you've used actual Sanwa parts. I say switch them out. It's not expensive, it's not difficult and you'll feel a difference right away.

f0nz0

So I need my 360 TE stick dual modded for ps3 compatibility, can anyone in here point me in the right direction? Ive read up on imp and cthulu but I don't have a solder and prob won't pick one up, if the price is right, I might want to get my SE stick modded as well.. Need some reputable people to work with. I'm located in northern cal (Sacramento)

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
f0nz0 said:
So I need my 360 TE stick dual modded for ps3 compatibility, can anyone in here point me in the right direction? Ive read up on imp and cthulu but I don't have a solder and prob won't pick one up, if the price is right, I might want to get my SE stick modded as well.. Need some reputable people to work with. I'm located in northern cal (Sacramento)

Norcal? Perfect.

akuma001 is your man.

He is a member here, hit him up.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/member.php?u=28462

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
FYI guys, I'm hearing from the big H that these things are going to be very limited. They are NOT replacing the current HRAP line, so if you want one, preorder one now. Or wait like everyone else will have to.

*preorders 2 more*

Linkhero1

MarkMan. Will we get any info on Wii Fight Sticks? Are they basically the same thing as SFIV SE Fight Sticks? I just want to know if it will use QDs. :D

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Linkhero1 said:
MarkMan. Will we get any info on Wii Fight Sticks? Are they basically the same thing as SFIV SE Fight Sticks? I just want to know if it will use QDs. :D

There should be some info available very soon.

So I was browsing the gamestop site today and I noticed the Marvel VS Capcom arcade sticks had a $20 price drop and they had them in stock at my local store.

I've been wanting one of these and I figured it would be a nice Christmas present to myself. I own a Chun-Li fightpad, but wanted a joystick. The packaging is top notch, almost didn't want to open it. The cover art on the stick itself is gorgeous. I also prefer the yellow stick/buttons to white or black.

Pics:
P1010102s.jpg

P1010101s.jpg

It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.:D

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
If I was gonna spend that much, I definitely would have picked that one. After dropping $90 on a HRAP3SA I don't think I'll get another stick for a while.

P.S. Ryu has a bit of a wolfman thing going on there.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Nice, I'm glad you like the packaging.

I do too. ;)

BTW, I don't have a Christmas tree!

So I'm making one out of arcade stick boxes!

Yes Boss!

Totakeke said:
Play-Asia pre-orders of the new HRAPV3 has been sold out?

Drats.

Now "in stock and shipping in 24 hours" at PA:

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-zl-49-en-70-3nvh.html

EDIT: now gone. Maybe NCS will list it this morning.

Christ, mine has already shipped! Nice unexpected christmas gift to myself. Also, don't forget to use that $12 off $100 coupon that PA sent out in November if you got one...took mine down to $184 delivered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom