• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Arcade Stick Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
jmro said:
Not sure, my HRAP 3 works fine with PS2 BC games, so it looks like something to do with the TE specifically
Sony would have to patch in support.

Officially licensed controllers like the HRAP V3-SA work fine for PS2 BC on PS3, but the PS3 Madcatz TE is a regular HID device and not officially licensed.

Likewise, the HFS3, HRAP3 (non-V), and VSHG are standard HID devices as well and not officially licensed by Sony for PS3, but Sony patched PS2 BC support for those sticks in like firmware 1.8 or 1.7 IIRC.

NeoGIF

SnowWolf said:
2hoz1u1.jpg

2e4elo4.jpg

Finished my set of sticks featuring Taeyeon from Korean girl group SNSD! :D

Very nice!

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Just got my Qanba FightStick in the mail today, expect a review after I get back into town from CES weekend!

Here are some pics!

4247254930_a5a26d050b_b.jpg

4247253734_0a21a80f35_b.jpg

4246477421_b4effc5459_b.jpg

4246478693_4879eee874_b.jpg

If there are any questions, post up!

I haven't bought a stick in a long time (since the TEs) but I decided to dive into a PS3 and Xbox Qanbas.

And I was impatient Markman, so I just did a google search and found the thread on SRK.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
elohel said:
are there any people that use the x arcade sticks?

worth getting solely for two person?

xarcade is garbage, IMO.

If you mod it with Happ(or if it is the Happ version), that might be a different story. But from my experience, the stock xarcade is poo.

elohel

MarkMan said:
xarcade is garbage, IMO.

If you mod it with Happ(or if it is the Happ version), that might be a different story. But from my experience, the stock xarcade is poo.

what would be the best cheap stock stick? lol

Linkhero1

Yes Boss! said:
Thanks! I wanna pull the trigger on the neat white 360 version below. Awaiting your review next week to know if it is worth the $123 (I can't seem to get free shipping at the site).

screenshot_01-26.jpg
That looks good. I might get one too!

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Damn you markman, damn yooouuuuuuu!

There goes another big hunk of change on something I really don't need. D:
I probably shouldn't have to ask at this point but is the ps3 stick PC compatible?

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Im in Tokyo for a few days and damn its painful to go to a store and keep seeing those new Hori sticks and not being able to buy one eventhough THEYRE RIGHT THERE

:(

Flek

Banned
Hey guys i will start my first dualmod shortly. But i still have some questions and hope you guys can help me out.

What i want to do?

Mod a Madcatz SE 360 Stick to work with PS3 and 360

Questions:
  • Do i understand it correctly : that i don't need a nother ps3 pcb when using a chutchulu board because the chutchulu basically IS the ps3 controller part ?
  • I cant find a tutorial or something how to make this dualmod anywhere. I found this thread over at SRK but i dont get it - its not what i want to do is it? Why does he solder things to the underside of the chuchulu?
  • Can anyone show me a picture of a finished mod like the one i want to do (without imp, i use a switch) ??

jmro

Flek said:
Hey guys i will start my first dualmod shortly. But i still have some questions and hope you guys can help me out.

What i want to do?

Mod a Madcatz SE 360 Stick to work with PS3 and 360

Questions:
  • Do i understand it correctly : that i don't need a nother ps3 pcb when using a chutchulu board because the chutchulu basically IS the ps3 controller part ?
  • I cant find a tutorial or something how to make this dualmod anywhere. I found this thread over at SRK but i dont get it - its not what i want to do is it? Why does he solder things to the underside of the chuchulu?
  • Can anyone show me a picture of a finished mod like the one i want to do (without imp, i use a switch) ??

Here is 2 shots of my dual modded TE with switch. It will look a little different from the SE, but the process is the same.

Yes, the Cthulhu is the PS3 board. You switch between that and the original 360 pcb that it comes with.

The original XBOX 360 TE board is at the bottom middle, the Cthulhu is on the left, and the switch wires are the blue/green that run up the middle to a switch inside the cord compartment. All of the wires you see that are green/blue are the USB D+/D- wires that go from the USB cable to the switch, then from the switch to the 360 PCB and the Cthulhu PCB

You will have to solder to the TE board, but not the Cthulhu since it has screw terminals. In that guide he does solder to the Cthulhu, because he doesn't have the screw terminals installed. Toodles no longer sells the Cthulhu that way, so you should have them.

I soldered all of my button connections to the bottom of the TE board. Those wires are wrapped in the red shrink tubing.

DSC01749.JPG

DSC01750.JPG

Yes Boss!

The listing says "japanese-style" buttons. :-(

I'm waiting for Amazon listing to save a few bucks since it will cost some money for replacement parts. Gotta support a Wii Stick, though!

Flek

Banned
Thx jmro your post whas really helpfull!!

Some more questions

thats how the inside of my stick looks now (- buttons etc. removed them already)

4248950504_b7e0e53a70.jpg

it means the 360 board is the one on the bottom right sight ?

But how do i know where to solder there?

Also

this is how my chutchulu (its not actually a chutchulu but a copy a local did calle lulu) looks

4248175523_564e5b8d39_o.jpg

the guy i bought it from said "thats all you need for you mods" (parts wise) but i dont really undestand what i need the big Ribbon cable for ??? Any idea??

thx again

jmro

The ribbon cable is probably the wires that you could solder on to all the button signals on the SE PCB. Sometimes the button pins will be duplicated so that you can use either the screw terminals or the ribbon cable.

He should have given you a pinout diagram or something to go with it, otherwise it is going to be impossible to tell which one goes to which pin.

Chorazin

gutter_trash said:
my Sanwa buttons are tad too sensitive IMO

should I go Seimitsu?

Yup, go for it! I can tell a huge different in the feel of the buttons between my TE and my HRPA EX-SE, the Seimitsu buttons feel like they need a bit more oomph to get them to register.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Yes, it is in stock now, not a preorder.

Also, the parts are not Sanwa, but I will say they are newly engineered and are definitely the best non Sanwa parts on the market currently.

Yea, $80 is steep. But if you guys are wary, wait for reviews from hardcore members of the stick/fighting game community first. I've been getting rave reviews/replies on my Twitter so far.

But yea, it is pretty much a SE stick at it's core. But, I made it a focus to make sure the buttons and stick were improved upon the SFIV SE FightStick. So yea, this is what it is.

---

TL;DR version!

So yea, if you are wary, wait for some reviews. I firmly believe the quality of this product (especially the new components), will speak for itself.

Halvie

Banned
MarkMan said:
I don't know anything about any TE sticks?!

It was posted on the CES site that MC was going to release info about the new SSFIV sticks? Please tell me that is the case...been pumped for like the last week lol :(

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Halvie said:
It was posted on the CES site that MC was going to release info about the new SSFIV sticks? Please tell me that is the case...been pumped for like the last week lol :(

Guess we'll have to wait and see! :D

Yes Boss!

MarkMan said:
Yes, it is in stock now, not a preorder.

Very cool.

I ordered one from the Mad Catz store. All I could find was the 10% off code so the stick was still $86 delivered after tax and shipping. Kinda pricey.

Will this one eventually be for sale at Amazon and Fry's? I wan't a second but I'm willing to wait to get that one a bit cheaper.

mm04

I bought my brother an Arcade-In-A-Box PS3 stick for Christmas. I should've taken pictures of it when it came in last week, but it is very nice. I have a HRAP3-SA that I bought last month (I couldn't afford an AIAB stick for myself :lol ), so we're having a showdown at my house this Saturday. We'll have to switch back and forth so I can get a comparison on feel. I'm excited, though. We haven't played SF together like this in over 10 years, so it should be fun to relive our childhood matches :D .

Does the TvC SE stick have the digital-analog switch on it like the PS3/360 sticks do? I assume the stick acts as a Classic Controller.

Wizpig

Wow :p

By the way, I recently purchased my first Arcade Stick... SF 4 SE 360 version.
It seems like a good stick, maybe I'll mod it but for now I like it this way.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Ewwww.

That picture of Ken is ugly though. Actually, all Ken SFIV pictures are ugly. They should let Raging Spaniard do the art.

bPod

interesting...looks like a modded TE but definitely not a TE because of the sides; it lacks the curves, they're at the front of the stick instead of the sides

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom