• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Arcade Stick Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes Boss! said:
New Arcana Heart Hori stick is up at NCS (as is the game in SE and LE):

PS3

I think I'm going for this game since the franchise seems to get so much hate.

Is that the correct pic for the 360? Because it also has white buttons.

Yes Boss!

BotoxAgent said:
Is that the correct pic for the 360? Because it also has white buttons.
Probably just a placeholder. The 360 will have the colored buttons, likely.

I went for the PS3 version...stick and game. Something to look forward to in january. Hope the game is fun...at least it will be something different than a capcom franchise.

EDIT: found the image for the 360:

cab4cc82.jpg

Sniper McBlaze said:
Looks hot. Is it useful in fighting games too?
Quite.
You'll have quite a bit of adjusting to do if you're used to playing fighters on a pad though, as you'll hear from others in this thread.

---
I like the color of the AH3 stick, but I don't like the art they used. The price is a bit high, too.

Hori unveiled their full Seimitsu HRAP VX-SE recently, and that looks hot.

51qeOJQpX2L._AA1000_.jpg

Amazon.co.jp exclusive though, I'll have to go through tenso if I want it. That or cross my fingers for a US release.

Sniper McBlaze said:
Looks hot. Is it useful in fighting games too?

Seimitsu sticks are fairly versatile and useful for both (but then, so are Sanwas). The Seimitsu sticks, particularly the LS-32/32-01 tend to have a shorter throw and thus are more useful for shooters, but that CAN be a good thing for fighters too, if you're so inclined. It tends to be a matter of preference, much like Seimitsu buttons (which I vastly prefer over Sanwa buttons, which IMHO are too sensitive).

Yes Boss!

_dementia said:
Quite.
You'll have quite a bit of adjusting to do if you're used to playing fighters on a pad though, as you'll hear from others in this thread.

---
I like the color of the AH3 stick, but I don't like the art they used. The price is a bit high, too.

Hori unveiled their full Seimitsu HRAP VX-SE recently, and that looks hot.

51qeOJQpX2L._AA1000_.jpg

Amazon.co.jp exclusive though, I'll have to go through tenso if I want it. That or cross my fingers for a US release.
Whoa!

Shit is gonna be hot!

Have you ordered through Tenso yet? I've got my Japanese address but I've no way how to parse it.

This new SE seems like it wil be the defacto DoDonPachi R stick since there seems to be no official stick.

GeorgeC

Banned
Yes Boss! said:
New Arcana Heart Hori stick is up at NCS (as is the game in SE and LE):

PS3

I think I'm going for this game since the franchise seems to get so much hate.

It depends on who you talk to...

There is a fighting game community for AH but it's smaller than most other games.

People were definitely not happy with the home console port of AH2. It was very disappointing considering how good the conversion of AH1 was. The PS2 was utilized poorly for AH2 or was finally tapped out and just didn't have the power to realize AH2 properly in the home gaming arena. A lot smaller developers are coming late to the PS3... hopefully they'll do better jobs on coin-op conversions from here on out.

Girly fighters generally don't have much of a fighting game community. Tons more of them were released during the PS1/Saturn than now. These games generally tend to have shallow game play that doesn't lend itself to repeated play... they die out quickly.

Popular girl fighters back in the day that developed into continuing series were the Sailor Moon Fighters (through the 32-bit 3DO/Saturn/PS1 era) and the Asuka Burning Fest series. Asuka was one of the better girl fighters. Sailor Moon cashed in on a license and generally sucked as a game series.

To be honest, I haven't played with AH1 much and had a hard time getting into it. Some games lend themselves to easier comboing (Street Fighter, Darkstalkers), others are extremely technical (Virtua Fighter), button mashers (Tekken, the Capcom Vs series), or have a very different game style like Samurai Shodown. At least I could get into the Shodown series a bit. There just didn't seem to be much to AH1. I'm hoping more was added to AH3.

The best thing I've gotten out of the AH series is the AH2 stick. Way better art than what Hori has planned for the V3 SA stick. Art has been the low-point for the V3/VX line so far. I don't know why the Hori artists/planners haven't done better in this regard. They have a wider base to work with but don't seem to be able to utilize it for the best effect with the art so far. The licensed V3/VX's have all been "blah" so far.

Threi

notag
yeah for buttons i can only compare the 24mm seimitsus vs 30mm sanwas as that's all i've tried, I prefer the sensitivity of the seimitsus (i also agree sanwas are oversensitive) but the sanwas seem to have much smoother edges, your hand can "slide" onto the button easily. I like that.

Threi said:
yeah for buttons i can only compare the 24mm seimitsus vs 30mm sanwas as that's all i've tried, I prefer the sensitivity of the seimitsus (i also agree sanwas are oversensitive) but the sanwas seem to have much smoother edges, your hand can "slide" onto the button easily. I like that.
That doesn't apply to all Seimitsu buttons though. The flat Seimitsus include PS-14-G/GN/GNC, PS-14-D/DN/DNC.
PS-14-K/KN (the famous "skeleton" Seimitsu buttons), PS-15, and PS-14-P actually have convex plungers like Sanwa buttons, but don't have the featherlight sensitivity.

Threi

notag
_dementia said:
That doesn't apply to all Seimitsu buttons though. The flat Seimitsus include PS-14-G/GN/GNC, PS-14-D/DN/DNC.
PS-14-K/KN (the famous "skeleton" Seimitsu buttons), PS-15, and PS-14-P actually have convex plungers like Sanwa buttons, but don't have the featherlight sensitivity.
i wasn't really referring to the plunger shape (convex vs flat), more the roundness of the plunger edges, if you get what i'm saying. The plunger edges on the sanwas are very round.

Threi said:
i wasn't really referring to the plunger shape (convex vs flat), more the roundness of the plunger edges, if you get what i'm saying. The plunger edges on the sanwas are very round.

The plunger on the PS-14-GNs (I've got 6 of them in my Litchi stick) are actually about as round as most Sanwas on the edges. This is one of the reasons I prefer the rounded and smooth GNs to the snap-in Gs that have a more flat top and sharper edge (this is why of all the buttons I've used, including the KNs, I prefer GNs for overall usability and sensitivity).

McNum

This is my newly customized arcade stick. There are many like it, but this one's mine.

It's an all Siemitsu refit PS3 Street Fighter IV SE arcade stick with the standard PS3 circuits left untouched. No new art, I couldn't decide on anything better than the default, and I picked the same colors as the original buttons, so it's played mostly safe. It's also why it's just an image link. If you've seen one Siemitsu fitted SE, you probably already know what mine looks like. Feel free to take a look anyway.

I'm a little proud that it's actually working since it's my first attempt at customizing practically anything gaming related. I think I pulled it off pretty well. However, whoever named those connectors "quick release" needs to be slapped with a wet trout. There's nothing quick about those, it's almost as if MadCatz doesn't want us to remove the buttons. Then again, it's nothing compared to the stick. I broke three of the screws thanks to the glue there. I had some spare that fit, so it worked out. Oh, and here's a friendly tip to other newbie modders "If you're replacing your SFIV SE stick with a Siemitsu stick, you need to flip the connector upside down!" Learned that one the hard way.

As for results, I just did a quick Vs. CPU on SSF4 to check if all the buttons were working, and I can definitely feel the difference. The new stick is much sharper than the old one and the buttons feel beefier, leading to fewer mis-taps. Hell, I pulled off a reaction Ultra with Sakura on my first try, which is definitely an improvement.

Of course the downside of this is that with the stick this good, I have no one to blame but myself when I lose.

In any case, I'm happy with the results so far. I'll admit, I didn't expect the difference between stock and Siemitsu to be as big as they are, but I'm not complaining.

Now bring on MvC3 and SFvTekken! I've got the tools ready for them now. :D

MarkMan said:
Also, check out what I got from World Cyber Games Grand Finals!

I was very happy that the WCG organizers presented me with two of these Korean/Sanwa hybrid arcade sticks that were used for the TEKKEN 6 tournament. They're metal casings with a custom/hacked wireless Xbox 360 first party controller. Check it out:

Be wary with those ones, if you can remember from the semifinals other one of those randomly disconnected and i had to forfeit one round from Knee ;)

I noticed NRX/Aokage's Hyperstick thread on SRK...
A full Seimitsu stick in 1996? How had I never heard of such a thing? Do want.
I've been going through PS2 backlog as of late, so this would be perfect as my next stick.

MoxManiac

Yes Boss! said:
Akihabara:

http://www.akihabarashop.jp/

Though, if you are only ordering a single stick then postage and handle will be quite pricey. Aki is only good when you are ordering multiple parts otherwise shipping is too much.

Thanks, but they don't stock the one i'm looking for? I need the one without a pcb where I can directly connect disconnects. Looks like that shop only has the ones with pcb/wire harness. Lizardlick is sold out of them. :/

Threi

notag
MoxManiac said:
Anyone know where else I can get a sanwa stick other than lizardlick?
etokki, mounting plate sold seperately.

Good job on the SE mod McNum. My single regret with mine is getting sanwa buttons instead of seimitsu.

McNum

Threi said:
Good job on the SE mod McNum. My single regret with mine is getting sanwa buttons instead of seimitsu.
Thanks, it was fun to do, even if I wasn't sure I could pull it off. But I did. I was a little worried when I plugged it in and the stick wasn't working, but then I flipped the stick connector around and everything just worked fine.

I went Siemitsu for three reasons.
1. I read on SRK that compared to Sanwa, these have a little bit more resistance. I've accidentally LK'd due to a resting thumb once too many. That's actually the annoyance that triggered the mod.
2. I wanted a stick that simply wasn't an SE ported up to be a TE.
3. What sealed the deal: "Ooh, the Siemitsu buttons come in shiny!"

Sometimes it's the little things.

Now to wonder if the stock parts are useful for anything. Eh, I'll probably store them in case I get a good idea later.

Dizzy-4U

My babies arrived today. Super fast shipping from play-asia :3

(Sorry for the absolute crap quality of the photo)
7V0iK.jpg

I'm amazed by the quality of the stick. Very nice design with super responsive controls. I did basic crap like Balrog jab jab short headbutt U1 and came out very natual and I didn't noticed any imput lag at all (they are wireless). So far, I'm very happy with my purchase.

Next stop, changing the art.

Got my R2 TE PS3 stick in the mail yesterday. Kinda forgot it was coming. :lol I wonder if I should get another stick for my Wii... for the one fighting game I own for it. Nah, not worth it.

So, this is pretty much my final stick, unless something decides to mess up.
I redid my stick cover and whatnot. Got a vermilion ball, and did redid my art because I didn't trim the area around the home button. Need to finishing wiping off the dried glue in the bottom corners though.
ww1090.jpg

And a picture with the ChimpSMD for the dual mod.
mrft6a.jpg

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
CONTEST - Reply via twitter !

http://twitter.com/#!/MarkMan23/status/26964240598

Random contest. One reply per follower! How many arcade sticks do I have in my family room alone? 1st to get it wins a key chain + shirt!

HINT - http://twitter.com/#!/MarkMan23/status/26966544193

http://twitpic.com/2wgyh6

Yes Boss!

MarkMan said:
Good news for my man Yes Boss!!

That Amazon thing you wanted. Stay tuned. ;)
Whoo-hoo!

Got some Hori love coming in the next week but I'm eager to give some money to our american company. The last MC product I got was months ago with a PS3 "S" stick. All that stuff is in storage in San Diego till late 2012 so I'm in desperate need of sticks here in europe...using only my DSII stick currently.

I leave for Austria for the next two weeks for work so hopefully stuff will be up by the time I get back! Want a PS3 version of the Chun-Li!

Kimosabae

Banned
Hi. Can anyone let me know what are some decent options regarding an arcade stik for PS2? I have a 360/PS3 TE Stick, also. How difficult is the modding process (if someone can provide the adequate link for directions)? I may just take that route instead?

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Kimosabae said:
Hi. Can anyone let me know what are some decent options regarding an arcade stik for PS2? I have a 360/PS3 TE Stick, also. How difficult is the modding process (if someone can provide the adequate link for directions)? I may just take that route instead?
Do you want to add PS2 functionality to an existing stick or just want to buy a stick with a PS2 PCB in it?

If you want a PS2 stick, weirdly enough Hori is going to re-release the HRAP2 soon... Definitely your best bet, Per from AkihabaraShop.jp has said that he's going to be selling them once they're out.

360/PS3 TE stick... does that mean you have it dual modded? What PCBs are in there? If you want to add PS2 support to that, the best option is to drop a Multiconsole Cthulhu in there (or modify your current Cthulhu board with an upgrade kit, if that's what you're using for your PS3 board)...

http://www.lizardlick.com/Toodles-Cthulhu-for-Multi-Console_p_542.html
http://shoryuken.com/f177/official-cthulhu-chimp-thread-new-mc-firmware-v2-1-release-162026/

Not hard at all if you have experience soldering and working with small electronics... but if you don't want to mess around with your joystick's case and wiring, you can probably find someone local to do it for you.

Kimosabae

Banned
ExMachina said:
Do you want to add PS2 functionality to an existing stick or just want to buy a stick with a PS2 PCB in it?

If you want a PS2 stick, weirdly enough Hori is going to re-release the HRAP2 soon... Definitely your best bet, Per from AkihabaraShop.jp has said that he's going to be selling them once they're out.

If you want to add PS2 support to your TE, best to drop a Multiconsole Cthulhu in there...

http://shoryuken.com/f177/official-cthulhu-chimp-thread-new-mc-firmware-v2-1-release-162026/

Not hard at all if you have experience soldering and working with small electronics... but if you don't want to mess around with your joystick's case and wiring, you can probably find someone local to do it for you.

Thanks for that. Anything you can suggest that's available now (to buy) I can consider? The HRAP2 sounds pricey.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Unfortunately, PS1/2 sticks are getting kinda rare since they're really not sold new anymore... I'd keep an eye on SRK's Trading Outlet and hope someone's letting go of a PS2 stick on there. In particular, look out for a PS1 Namco stick and any HRAP1's or HRAP2's, usually you can grab one of them for $80 or less. I've also seen Tekken 5 Hori's for sale occasionally, but getting good parts into that is a little more involved (have to modify the metal plate to fit arcade parts).

BiggNife

h3ro said:
Got my 360 to PS3 Converter in today! :D

Tested it out with a few different controllers as well as some different games.

Controllers tested:

1. Mad Catz TE Round 2 Stick
2. Mad Catz SE Stick with Sanwa JLF/OBSFs
3. Hori EX-2
4. Mad Catz SFIV Controller (Flowchart Ken version :p)

I tested them using SFII HD Remix and Scott Pilgrim...

IT WORKS LIKE A CHARM!! :D

Now I'm by no means a pro fighting game player, so take this with a grain of salt for tournament use but I could feel absolutely difference in navigating the XMB or with inputs in the games. Couldn't really feel any lag during inputs in HDR either. It registered all the stick and button inputs right away. 360 Guide became the PS Button and so on. I'm thinking of picking up a wired 360 controller now and giving Uncharted a replay.

Looks like a very solid investment for those who didn't want to mod their sticks to play on PS3 with their 360 sticks.

For those that are tournament players or pro theory fighters on the SRK forums, I'd probably look for a test done by Markman or someone in the know on how to calculate lag.

Time to double dip and pick up Super and Continuum Shift for PS3. :D
So has anyone else bought this and tested it out?

I'm still tempted to get it but a friend pointed out to me that this adapter looks very similar to the XCM Cross Battle Adapter, and according to this thread on SRK, the XCM outright drops inputs. This worries me a lot; I'm okay with a slight amount of input lag but if this thing drops inputs all the time I'd go insane.

Kimosabae

Banned
5c0cb77b.jpg

Someone's willing to sell this one to me for 175 with shipping. He's willing to add GC/Wii convertor for 10 dollars and/or a PS3 convertor for 15. Does this sound like a good deal? I'm stupid strapped for cash right now, but I really need a stick for my PS2/Wii.

BiggNife said:
This worries me a lot; I'm okay with a slight amount of input lag but if this thing drops inputs all the time I'd go insane.
If you have a stick, just order the ChimpSMD. It's a braindead install.

El Sloth said:
Oh shit, a Utena stick! :lol I wasn't expecting to see that in this thread. It came out pretty nicely too. Really like the orange buttons.
:D

MoxManiac

ExMachina said:

360/PS3 TE stick... does that mean you have it dual modded? What PCBs are in there? If you want to add PS2 support to that, the best option is to drop a Multiconsole Cthulhu in there (or modify your current Cthulhu board with an upgrade kit, if that's what you're using for your PS3 board)...

Any word when they might rerelease that HRAP2? I'd jump on it as soon as akihabara gets them in stock.

Kimosabae said:
5c0cb77b.jpg

Someone's willing to sell this one to me for 175 with shipping. He's willing to add GC/Wii convertor for 10 dollars and/or a PS3 convertor for 15. Does this sound like a good deal? I'm stupid strapped for cash right now, but I really need a stick for my PS2/Wii.
Hori is reissuing HRAP2 SAs this December for 10,000 yen. Considering the strong yen and shipping costs, the one he's selling might be a better deal

McNum

Hmm, I suddenly get an idea for redecorating my SE. I'm considering painting it. It's still way in the silly ideas stage, but I don't see any reason I couldn't remove the metal plate in the stick, peel off the sticker, clean it, and then spray paint it a nice metallic light blue color. You know, a white base coat, one or two coats of metallic silver-blue, and two coats of clear for wear and tear.

Does this sound like a bad idea?

Maybe that's a project for later, since the new buttons and stick are working prefectly. (All losses at SSFIV have been user errors since the update), but I thought I'd just air it here anyway.

BiggNife

dragonballjoseph said:
If you have a stick, just order the ChimpSMD. It's a braindead install.
Really? I heard that installing the ChimpSMD is a pretty advanced procedure, even without the need to solder stuff.

Keep in mind that the only type of arcade stick "modding" I've ever done is replacing the buttons and stick on my MadCatz SE with Seimitsu PS-15s and the Sanwa JLF drop-in, which might as well be nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom