• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Arcade Stick Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea I've used sticks at a friend's on and off. Pad is just getting on my nerves, as I feel like I could be executing a lot better. I accept the practice I'm gonna have to do to get good with stick. If it's ultimately rewarding like you say, it should be worth it.

It's one of the best parts of gaming these days- there are great options for affordable, high quality sticks.

Duxxy3

The way that i got used to an arcade stick was to use it for all different kinds of games, not just fighting games. If you want to try out a different gate or any other option, go for it.

But like other people have said - you are going to suck for a good long while when you're trying to swap to stick.

I spent the first month switching back and forth between stick and pad. At first you do a shit ton of training mode right? Well after a week I decided I have to play this against real people to really get use to it. So I went online in SF4 using the stick and got my ass handed to me a lot, and by several players who I know I was much better than. It infuriated me to lose to some of these guys that I would unplug my TE-S, plug in the Mad Catz Fight Pad and try to rematch them again and show them who they're trash compared to me. I didn't mean any of that though, that was just my anger speaking at the time.

So yeah, it's all part of the growing pains man. But once you get it down, it will be worth it.

I struggled a whole lot with stick too. I guess you could say I was an '09er as far as jumping on the bandwagon, being a pad player prior. My best advice is, don't try to learn it with Street Fighter IV. The shortcuts are a hindrance to your understanding of how it works. Once I started playing Arcsys games and Third Strike on GGPO I really started to get a good feel for it.

Ideally, I'd say practice with ST and Guilty Gear

Hyoushii

Banned
Sooo I have the SCV Madcatz stick and was thinking of changing the artwork to a Neo Geo layout since I really like SNK but I was thinking, would it look better with the transparent Sanwa buttons or the solid color ones?

I had this dilemma. I went with a clear blue sanwa ball top and clear red button bases with solid red plungers. Maybe it was just a bad set that I had but the clear buttons had a separate piece that you press that rested on top of the plunger, as opposed to solid color sanwa buttons just having one solid plunger.

HeroinBob91

Neo Member
I got a WWE brawlstick for $20 at gamestop (yes $20), changed the artwork, and i just ordered some sanwa clear buttons with an orange base. Ill be putting some dragonball art in each button and maybe ill mod the ball somehow and make it a dball too once i buy a sanwa joystick

8f499f45.jpg

Stick+button+joystick+artwork

Total
About $80

bumpkin

Depends on your personal preference. And the first few weeks using any new type of controller will be really rough, since you'll have to relearn all sorts of muscle memory before you can start to improve. But if you've ever been frustrated at the difficulties of hitting "odd" button combinations together, like Square + Circle or Triangle + X, or want to play a character who has moves that require holding a button while continuing to comfortably press other buttons (hi Zero), having the six/eight buttons spread out and easy to hit with multiple fingers comfortably is fantastic.
This dilemma was what ultimately led me to switch to a joystick for fighting games. I feel like I'm more or less at the point I was using a regular controller, dexterity wise, but it definitely took some time; I'd say after about a month or so of fairly regular play. I still have a lot of room to improve, both in joystick dexterity and skill though. I doubt I'll ever get to tournament champion level skill, but being able to steal a round sometimes against skilled players would be a welcome change.

brettreyu

I got a WWE brawlstick for $20 at gamestop (yes $20), changed the artwork, and i just ordered some sanwa clear buttons with an orange base. Ill be putting some dragonball art in each button and maybe ill mod the ball somehow and make it a dball too once i buy a sanwa joystick.

Total
About $80

Hell of a deal and job well done on the artwork.

Duxxy3

Got my arcade stick pro in today. Must say i prefer it over the SC5 stick i had. Not too big and not too small.

Also, the big part, it works with my pc.

On top of that i think i found a local buyer that wants my old TE.

So I don't know how this kind of stuff works, but is it possible that our current fight sticks will work on next gen hardware? I know that wouldn't make the most sense from a business stand point, but would it be technically viable? And if that was the case, would it be up to the system manufacturers, the stick manufacturers, or both?

Zissou

Up to the system manufacturers, I'd imagine. Hopefully they're not dicks about letting current peripherals be compatible. That uncertainty has certainly saved me from over-spending on sticks though, lol

Yes Boss!

What's wrong?

I think it seems cute, capable, and has a nice six-button layout. Refreshing they are releasing something different at a lower price point.

BOTEC

I love everything about that stick (size, shape, colors, layout), but hate everything about Persona 4 (the RPG was a fucking slog, the fighting game is Arc System Works, the PS3 version is region-locked). I hope they reuse this design for a future game I can give a shit about.

What's wrong?

I think it seems cute, capable, and has a nice six-button layout. Refreshing they are releasing something different at a lower price point.

The art just really bugs me - I don't think it's attractive at the slightest, especially when you've got the lever sticking out of the Yu's waist while he poses in a completely forgettable fashion along with the random character art slapped on like an afterthought to the side.

Definitely intrigued by the form factor though, but Hori sticks of this size tend to feel rather cheap.

Yes Boss!

Oh yeah, the design.

A lot of the custom ones do look better.

I'm sure they will rerelease the case again down the line. Though the last two announcements have both been the new case (TTT2 and DoA5).

bumpkin

Damn, those buttons are slick! I wanted to do something similar with my TE Fightstick, but I've instead decided to go with solid colors and matching their appropriate controller button colors (green for A, red for B, etc.). According to the package tracking, I should have my buttons by Saturday.

At some point I really want to update the artwork on it too, but I haven't decided what characters/art I want on it yet.

Yes Boss!

Damn, almost on OT2. Long live arcade sticks

I love this thread!

I got my first modern stick back in early 2007 for VF5 (HRAP3 instead of VSHG, grumble grumble). And my GAF account got approved the same month this thread began, though I was a lurker since 2003 or so.

Love seeing all the new retail releases and the custom jobs folks do. Lots of smart people knowledgeable and willing to help, which is always great!

As much as I love this thread, it's dangerous (as is the one over at SRK). Every time I see someone's work it makes me want to get another! Oh well, 6 and counting...

Found pics!
Exaprice USB Stick: Sanwa Edition (Blue Version) PS3
1002392-exar.png

Like that Baby Blue yo :) August 2, and this baby is MINE!

And the BLACK version that comes later on the month :)
exaprice-usb-stick-sanwa-edition-black-version.jpg

Mercutio

Hey folks,

I've got a PS3 TE (the Chun-Li model) that I did a lot of work on. Unfortunately, it won't work on my 360 and it seems like most easier mods are 360 versions being modded to be PS3 compatible.

What's the easiest and cheapest way for me to make this thing cross system? I'm dying to know, and not afraid of a little de-soldering.

Hey folks,

I've got a PS3 TE (the Chun-Li model) that I did a lot of work on. Unfortunately, it won't work on my 360 and it seems like most easier mods are 360 versions being modded to be PS3 compatible.

What's the easiest and cheapest way for me to make this thing cross system? I'm dying to know, and not afraid of a little de-soldering.

The biggest problem is that the 360 requires a proprietary security chip in all its controllers. You might be best off finding the PCB and control module from a 360 TE (or maybe an SE's would be good enough?) then applying the standard modification from there. Any other method is going to involve dual-modding with a 360 controller, which is a lot more complicated and doesn't net you the same level of functionality.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I'll be going to Tokyo the first week of August and again during TGS in Sept.

This is what I'm planning on going after while there...

- Persona 4 Stick x 2
- Exarprize Sanwa (Blue) Edition
- Guilty Gear XX AC Bundle
- Try to get an extra VLX Diamond

:3

Anything else I might be forgetting?

Moofers

Can anyone recommend a good artist who can do stick art? I had a local artist who I met at Midwest Gaming Classic earlier this year, but either her email doesn't work or she's just not interested, so now I need somebody else. Preferably somebody who can do pinup girls.

Kind of goes without saying, but I expect to pay for the art, of course. No "but you get experience!" crap from me.

Skilletor

Can anyone recommend a good artist who can do stick art? I had a local artist who I met at Midwest Gaming Classic earlier this year, but either her email doesn't work or she's just not interested, so now I need somebody else. Preferably somebody who can do pinup girls.

Kind of goes without saying, but I expect to pay for the art, of course. No "but you get experience!" crap from me.

d3v on SRK. He did the Kokoro art on the DoA stick posted here.

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.ph...imageboard-instructions-on-first-page.137307/

This thread should be full of people, though.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Aquapazza bundle, unless you've got that locked down elsewhere.

And those two Hori sticks revamps. The new SE streets next week.

I think I might be one of the only ones that have the HRAP V3-SA and VX-SA KAI retail versions already. I got them the other week. They have lots of changes from the existing ones.

Thanks for the reminder of the Aquapazza bundle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom