• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Arcade Stick Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol on the IGN HRAP EX review. I do think it's time for a redesign... And Madcatz is showing that there is a market for high quality joysticks in the U.S.

Mark, it's too bad they didn't release the TE sticks in Japan... They look so much better than the SFIV HRAPs and EX2s.

I got my HRAP EX...but am too lazy to upload the pictures...

I swapped out all of the buttons...but now I'm debating on whether I want to swap out the gate and the ball for bat.

ashism

Spiderjericho said:
Lol on the IGN HRAP EX review. I do think it's time for a redesign... And Madcatz is showing that there is a market for high quality joysticks in the U.S.

Mark, it's too bad they didn't release the TE sticks in Japan... They look so much better than the SFIV HRAPs and EX2s.

I swapped out all of the buttons...but now I'm debating on whether I want to swap out the gate and the ball for bat.
Who knows, maybe in the future for the ultimate twist on irony the japanese will be forced to import madcatz sticks from america.

That would be the day.

Baconmonk

MarkMan said:
*funny looking rave stick*

I saw this about a week ago and never got around to posting about it....

Is it as bad as it looks? Kinda reminds me of that terrible Interact stick for the ps2, but now with fancy lights!

Spiderjericho said:

I hope you'll eventually post your pics. I love photos.

And it's nice Hori and MadCatz can compete, at least in the United States. Hopefully it leads to better and less expensive products from both companies

FordStang

The only difference between the hrap3 and hrap ex is that ones for microsoft and one is for ps3, right? it's basically the same stick, right?

FordStang said:
The only difference between the hrap3 and hrap ex is that ones for microsoft and one is for ps3, right? it's basically the same stick, right?
They're very similar but the HRAP EX uses a JLF-TM-8T-SK-K as opposed to the HRAP3's JLF-TM-8T-SK.
The HRAP EX's stick is also soldered to the circuit board via wires instead of using a Sanwa 5-pin connector like the HRAP3.

FordStang

_dementia said:
They're very similar but the HRAP EX uses a JLF-TM-8T-SK-K as opposed to the HRAP3's JLF-TM-8T-SK.
The HRAP EX's stick is also soldered to the circuit board via wires instead of using a Sanwa 5-pin connector like the HRAP3.

Is the hrap3 a decent, good, or great stick if you mod the buttons?

FordStang

_dementia said:
It's excellent

that is good to hear. i preordered the TE stick from capcom, but im pretty sure i'll probably end up on the out looking in, ya know? So the hrap3 was/is going to be my backup

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Jammed? Physically?

There's no way a button can get jammed unless something got on the inside.

I can walk you through on how to do it.

PM me or email me and we can try to figure things out... markman@sdtekken.com ...

ashism

chaoticprout said:
Still looking to buy a 360 TE Fightstick, paying pretty well. Hit me up in pms or email me at chaoticprout@gmail.com Really trying to get one. Thanks again
haha you must really want one, this is the third time I have seen you post.

I wouldn't let mine go unless it was like double price, even then I would think about it.
The housing on this stick is so amazing, perfectly perfect in every way, I CANT WAIT ANY LONGER.

Doubt gamestop will have mine tomorrow, maybe monday though.

AZ Greg

chaoticprout said:
Still looking to buy a 360 TE Fightstick, paying pretty well. Hit me up in pms or email me at chaoticprout@gmail.com Really trying to get one. Thanks again

Not sure if I've responded to you before, but I have an order with Capcom and Amazon. If both come through then I'll hook you up with one since you seem to really want one. As long as you promise not to throw it up on eBay, I'll let it go for just the retail price + shipping.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
I thought all Capcom orders were being backordered? I did the exact same thing as you, Amazon+Capcom. Haven't heard anything from Amazon yet.

ashism

AZ Greg said:
Not sure if I've responded to you before, but I have an order with Capcom and Amazon. If both come through then I'll hook you up with one since you seem to really want one. As long as you promise not to throw it up on eBay, I'll let it go for just the retail price + shipping.
Well isn't that nice of you. Mad karma points.
Desperation seems to be really setting in for the late adopters.
Good luck guys!
Crap I want my stick.

edit: So I started a trade with Toodles for a Cthulhu board on the srk forums. He seems like a nice enough guy, I am grateful he allows trades along with the lizardlick purchases. Also not getting the impression that I am going to be ripped, that is always nice.
My TE stick will so be dual console ready asap.

FordStang

NameGenerated said:
I thought all Capcom orders were being backordered? I did the exact same thing as you, Amazon+Capcom. Haven't heard anything from Amazon yet.

Are all of capcom orders being backordered?? I thought they were sending out some...no?? Anyone, send me some information plz

AZ Greg said:

Wow, that'd be amazing. Nah I definitely won't it, I just really really want one and have had bad luck so far.

Rektash

Hi gaf, I opened up my Ex2 to find which part is broken and well, its pretty obvious:

2j42gr6.jpg

Any tips on how to fix this ? I have got a soldering iron and solder, thats it :D.
My idea atm is to get some wire and directly connect the button with the pins like this:
(I have no idea if this will work out)

2i0dilh.jpg

Any advise is welcomed!

Clipper

Rektash said:
My idea atm is to get some wire and directly connect the button with the pins like this:
(I have no idea if this will work out)
It will work just fine as long as you don't bridge any of the pins with solder.

Only other tip would be to ensure there aren't any tracks or components on the other side of that broken piece of PCB (I doubt it).

Rektash

Clipper said:
It will work just fine as long as you don't bridge any of the pins with solder.

Only other tip would be to ensure there aren't any tracks or components on the other side of that broken piece of PCB (I doubt it).

Ok, I ll try it out then. What kind of wire would be best ? (gauge ?)

Clipper

Rektash said:
Ok, I ll try it out then. What kind of wire would be best ? (gauge ?)
I'll let someone else answer this definitively as I'm not 100% sure on the scale. However, any single-core wire that is thinner than the connection points should do. At a guess, anything in 24-30 AWG would do the job suitably.

akachan ningen said:
116 euros and another 38 for shipping? I thought you were looking to spend around 60?

anyway, that stick is using good parts, but it comes down to how solidly he put them together.

Yeah, but the hype for SF4 is making me do crazy things .-. Anyway, i'm from europe, so the shipping would be a little less (20 or so), i'll decide between this and the madcatz standard one, thanks ; )

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
hidepsyence said:
Yeah, but the hype for SF4 is making me do crazy things .-. Anyway, i'm from europe, so the shipping would be a little less (20 or so), i'll decide between this and the madcatz standard one, thanks ; )

I'm pretty sure the SE would be more of a safe bet than some random custom stick on eBay.

hidepsyence said:

You could always make your own and save a lot of money. It's actually really easy.

CPS2

Router said:
Ok, I don't feel so bad about paying AU$330 to import the TE Stick now. :D

LOL PRICES

I also ordered from Lizardlick but it was about $30 cheaper. The exchange rate's been all over the place lately =/

The dudes who picked it up from gamestop seem to have gotten it a little cheaper as well...

I was playing with my HRAP3 yesterday...I'm soooo not a fan of the Japanese stick...I can manage but I have yet to master the little nuance of using my wrist versus arm...

And I must say...Markman...the TE is behind us...

Let's now move into future territory...

The American Dream...

Happ 360...a nice stylish base...quality buttons (it's alright if you use Seimitsu or Sanwa)...the cord compartment...

Yes Boss!

Spiderjericho said:
And I must say...Markman...the TE is behind us...

Let's now move into future territory...

The American Dream...

Happ 360...a nice stylish base...quality buttons (it's alright if you use Seimitsu or Sanwa)...the cord compartment...

And make it compatible with a Wii...like, all we need to do is plug in a Wiimote. Still can't believe no company has made a high-quality stick for the Wii.

gokieks

Yes Boss! said:
Still can't believe no company has made a high-quality stick for the Wii.

I sure can. The Wii isn't exactly home to many hardcore fighter fans or fighting games, and the only high-profile fighter on the system (TvsC) isn't released anywhere but in Japan. That Hori even released a stick at all is surprising - I would've expected to have to rely on some crappy 3rd party for it.

sprocket

Banned
gokieks said:
I sure can. The Wii isn't exactly home to many hardcore fighter fans or fighting games, and the only high-profile fighter on the system (TvsC) isn't released anywhere but in Japan. That Hori even released a stick at all is surprising - I would've expected to have to rely on some crappy 3rd party for it.

WTF?! it has a ton of fighting games. on VC and OFF.

Yes Boss!

gokieks said:

Like sprocket said. VC is there. I've got about a hundred VC games and a lot of them work well with sticks. If Hori released a specialized stick for a game that sells in the low thousands like Otomedius then surely there is a market for one on the Wii.

I finally broke down and ordered a PS2 HRAP 2 SA (since the color scheme is Wii-like) but I'd like a dedicated Wii-branded stick. Yeah, I've got a few of the already-released Wii sticks but I'm looking for something a bit bigger and with arcade parts.

gokieks

The VC market doesn't really drive sales of sticks. I would wager that the vast majority of the gamer market associate arcade sticks with fighters, and fighters only. Yes, they work well with shooters too, but most people would never really consider getting one for that genre. And the VC selection of fighters is really not that great, especially in NA - you've got the variations of SFII on SNES/SFC, a few Sega system fighters, and Neo Geo. The Neo Geo games are probably the meat of the VC fighters, but I somehow doubt that they're high on the list of VC sales charts.

Believe me, I wish there was a good stick for the Wii (at least HRAP level) as much as anybody else, because TvsC looks awesome enough that I'd mod my Wii and import it if I have to. But I do understand the companies being more reluctant. And Otomedius actually probably sold better than you think - VeeGeeChartz indicates about 30K sold in Japan (yes I know it's not accurate, but it's the only one I found with a quick search, and it shouldn't be that far off).

Yes Boss!

gokieks said:
The VC market doesn't really drive sales of sticks. I would wager that the vast majority of the gamer market associate arcade sticks with fighters, and fighters only. Yes, they work well with shooters too, but most people would never really consider getting one for that genre. And the VC selection of fighters is really not that great, especially in NA - you've got the variations of SFII on SNES/SFC, a few Sega system fighters, and Neo Geo. The Neo Geo games are probably the meat of the VC fighters, but I somehow doubt that they're high on the list of VC sales charts.

Oh, I agree with everything you said. Even the Hori Wii Stick is not exactly flying off shelves but there are enough people out there moding them. Perhaps Horistore will surprise us one day with a Hrap Wii or something similar.

I think my best bet is to buy a Norris box and put the internals of the cheapy Wii stick inside wired to arcade parts with the home button usable on the attached Wiimote since that sounds like the cleanest option. I'm not really a DIY kind of person so that sounds a bit daunting to put together.

So after going through many hurdles and setbacks I finally got my HRAP2 SA in yesterday ... and I don't like it much ;___;. I need to get an octagonal gate and test more then, but me and everyone I played w/ last night was having problems pulling off all kinds of moves reliably w/ it from hadoken/shoryukens to KoF style DMs (most likely because none of us could use the square gate well). I took off the gate and (for now, until I get the octagonal gate) tapped the pcb to keep it in place and it played much better but still will take a LOT of adjustment to get used to. I'm starting to worry if buying the TE and the MC Cthulhu will turn out to be a waste of $ for me if I can't adapt >_<.

FordStang

AdawgDaFAB said:
So after going through many hurdles and setbacks I finally got my HRAP2 SA in yesterday ... and I don't like it much ;___;. I need to get an octagonal gate and test more then, but me and everyone I played w/ last night was having problems pulling off all kinds of moves reliably w/ it from hadoken/shoryukens to KoF style DMs (most likely because none of us could use the square gate well). I took off the gate and (for now, until I get the octagonal gate) tapped the pcb to keep it in place and it played much better but still will take a LOT of adjustment to get used to. I'm starting to worry if buying the TE and the MC Cthulhu will turn out to be a waste of $ for me if I can't adapt >_<.

Does the HRAP3 and Madcatz TE stick both have square gates???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom