• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Ban Review/Justice Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member
Oh hold on. Juat realized Bill O'Rights Bill O'Rights made an error by posting some spoiler info and i posted it too.
iu

I starred them out, otherwise I'd be getting permed as well :D

source.gif

giphy.gif
tenor.gif

Saber

Gold Member
They also tried to comfort me when my ex boyfriend dumped me by saying "At least he's now with a real woman"
I'm transgender btw. It's not that they are intentionally malicious. I know them. They are good blokes. They're just hella insensitive and clueless.

The Last thing anyone should do when you hurt a person is to justify your actions and explain why they shouldn't get upset.

From what you said about them I get the feeling that their Insentive/clueless act its just another word for being a jerk. Because what they did its pretty shitty.

Papa

Banned
They also tried to comfort me when my ex boyfriend dumped me by saying "At least he's now with a real woman"
I'm transgender btw. It's not that they are intentionally malicious. I know them. They are good blokes. They're just hella insensitive and clueless.

The Last thing anyone should do when you hurt a person is to justify your actions and explain why they shouldn't get upset.

They sound like they’re on the spectrum

bronk

Banned

The second they talk about a game you haven't played just tell them in advance you haven't played it yet don't spoil it. The second it seems like they are say shut the fuck up. If they continue to spoil stab them in the neck with nearest sharp object. Haha jk. Just be stern af upfront instead of getting mad after. Some people are legit stupid about spoilers. My friends are. Even my cousin will be like "I'm not gonna spoil you.....but this one part man its crazy blah blah blah" That annoys me too.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
Just curious why was TheStruggler TheStruggler perm banned?
Not permed but he was apparently banned for "trolling" TLOU2 threads which honestly is some bullshit. We've had 2 years of TLOU2 threads being trolled on GAF, we've never had legitimate discussion about the game without threads instantly getting derailed with shitposting and trolling. So now the mods cracking down when the trolling still goes on and always has been a constant is ridiculous and I expect consistency of this moderation to remain at 0.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Not permed but he was apparently banned for "trolling" TLOU2 threads which honestly is some bullshit. We've had 2 years of TLOU2 threads being trolled on GAF, we've never had legitimate discussion about the game without threads instantly getting derailed with shitposting and trolling. So now the mods cracking down when the trolling still goes on and always has been a constant is ridiculous and I expect consistency of this moderation to remain at 0.
Friggin neogaf moderation man

Geki-D

Banned
i thought the struggle ban was harsh but it's not a perma
The ban itself doesn't bother me, if he was trolling then so be it but when I come onto a game forum and see a thread about a game, and the thread is simply about it's latest trailer or some gameplay element or plot element, I expect to be able to talk about it and speculate on it without the thread being instantly dragged into an utter shitfest within the first 10 posts.

So it's a bit rich that in this case they crack down, but I'm sure for the next 3 years when every TLOU2 thread gets spammed with "The Lezzed of Us", "Tranny Simulator", "Cuckmann" "The Woke of Us" ...Whatever, the mods suddenly let it happen like they have been for years. I get the impression what was bothersome about Thestruggle in this case, was that he was trolling against the grain, more than anything.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
The ban itself doesn't bother me, if he was trolling then so be it but when I come onto a game forum and see a thread about a game, and the thread is simply about it's latest trailer or some gameplay element or plot element, I expect to be able to talk about it and speculate on it without the thread being instantly dragged into an utter shitfest within the first 10 posts.

So it's a bit rich that in this case they crack down, but I'm sure for the next 3 years when every TLOU2 thread gets spammed with "The Lezzed of Us", "Tranny Simulator", "Cuckmann" "The Woke of Us" ...Whatever, the mods suddenly let it happen like they have been for years. I get the impression what was bothersome about Thestruggle in this case, was that he was trolling against the grain, more than anything.
How is coming up with clever puns that accurately describe the game trolling?

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Well, I would love it to be two/three teams (Nintendo people are chilling somewhere away from all of this) because it's fun :lollipop_tears_of_joy: . Maybe my circle is filled with intense rivalry in football, both locally and internationally. For example, my family are into team blue locally (Al Nasr FC), my wife's family is from the sole rival red team (Dhofar FC). Back in like in the 1990's we had gang fights from each sides before derby matches. I'm used to conflicting rivalries in general and although it gets heated sometimes it doesn't escalate to hate from each side between friends indeed.

Now, with the same guys I hang out with there are many different flavors, some support Real Madrid, Barcelona, Manchester United (me), Manchester City, Liverpool etc. We can debate for ages, but we're still friends, sometimes even some people call the police to kick us out of one spot (restaurant/cafe) because we're too noisy that some can't sleep in the closer apartments.:lollipop_tears_of_joy:

But, and this is the most important, NEVER throw personal insults, you can laugh as much as you like about the rivals team (here it's Sony/Microsoft) but don't start doing it in a personal level. Minor names like stupid/clown etc can be taken by friends lightly anyway.
The problem is that there is no reason at all to "take sides". You like a product and can afford it? You buy it. You like a product and cannot afford it? You wait for it to be affordable for you. You do not like a product? Do not buy it. It is of course fine to discuss why a product does not appeal to you (for example: "The tech of Xbox Series X is very appealing to me, but I prefer Sony's first party offerings over Microsoft's and the technical advantages of XSX to not outweigh the first party line up for me."), but fanboy bickering is just annoying to anyone interested in a serious discussion about a console; they shit up the forum, are of no value and even work to discourage more valuable discussion. Even without name calling, console warring is just annoying garbage tier posting.

Bill O'Rights

Seldom posts. Always delivers.
Staff Member
ethomaz ethomaz
I acknowledged that what I did is not the right but you missed the point I guess.

I did not started the detail in the thread and I just replied to the other guy quote and tags.

ethomaz ethomaz - I'm not sure what the darius thing is but you were reply banned for your posting between pages 1821 and 1822, more so page 1822 when multiple times from other users you were told to 'move on' and persisted with the personal feud. Multiple reports were logged for people fed up of having to read such a childish exchange that you drew out. We're not here to treat you with kid gloves, if you're disrupting the thread for other users trying to read it, you will be reply banned. I'd like you to read your contributions on that entire page back and legitimately tell us all what they bring to the conversation/thread for other readers - I don't expect this explanation to contain 'what about', or ask about others conduct - just specifically your content on that page. This is not the first time a mod has spoken to you about the need to 'have the last word'. Take it on the chin, and next time be an adult and step away. The reply ban will be upheld. And I expect you dont agree with it, which is fine. You can either learn from it going forward or not. If you can acknowledge what we're saying here then I can reduce it to 5 days instead of 12, but the point remains. We need you to see what is wrong with how you are posting in order to improve the thread for everyone. Otherwise no-one would ever learn...

I think if you refer to the bolded you missed the point of my reply. A good defence is not 'oh yeah, but what about...... *points finger'. The reply ban is not for a single reply. Action we take against users is based on many different factors. We take things into account like

i) are there any active warnings
ii) has the user been warned about this in the same thread
iii) has the user been warned about similar behaviours in other threads

I'm sorry, but there is nothing in your reply that suggests it is anything beyond a quick retort, in order to have the reply ban rolled back via public pressure. Other users can possibly have different actions taken against them for the same interaction. Moderation is applied (as much as possible) with the individual in mind. It's adaptive, as it's the only fair way to issue appropriate sanctions for a disobeyed rule or a faux pas. Having said that, asking about what actions were taken against others specifically is not for you or I to share, that is up to those members involved. Again, it goes without saying, but you cannot see any interactions (beyond the ban page) in which we engage with users, so to assume no-one else is spoken to is naive. However, on the ban page you see the user you refer to also had reply and warnings (you also have reply bans and warnings, and off thread interactions with mods). If you'd like to trade your reply ban for a 5 week site ban in order to support your point of consistency, then you need only ask. Before it was stated on the ban page, were you aware that user had had reply bans or warnings?

In the spirit of goodwill I will reduce the reply ban to 5 days (4 days left to serve), but this comes with caveats going forward. The next time you derail this thread, then a reply ban will be issued quicker given the faith we're putting in you now. It will also be longer. I'd like to also say this isn't out the blue as you already had a warning for other confrontations in the same manner, and you also had interactions with a mod about a different topic that led to no reply bans/warnings. This is something you need to improve on going forward.

This concludes the appeal with a compromise, and an appeal to disengage earlier instead of dragging petty squabbles on.

Kagey K

Banned
Another point in my case.
I was thinking about he mod words “send a PM to the user next time”.

But it is a bit confuse because the user tagged me first instead to send a PM.

I have to ask why I’m accused to be derailing the thread while the other side not? I mean both did wrong if you use that way of thinking but he started and the consequences only affect me and not him... even when it was clear he come to the thread already with malicious goals to begin with.

Is that fair? Help m understand Mod of War Mod of War .
You should have let it go.

The only reason your are on my ignore list is because you need to have the last word and move the goalposts as you seem fit.

If you listen to Bill O'Rights Bill O'Rights and learn to have a proper discussion you will have a better time here.

Im going to take you off ignore again one last time, and I hope you listened to what he said. You are a good poster, but it can get so pedantic with you.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
The problem is that there is no reason at all to "take sides". You like a product and can afford it? You buy it. You like a product and cannot afford it? You wait for it to be affordable for you. You do not like a product? Do not buy it. It is of course fine to discuss why a product does not appeal to you (for example: "The tech of Xbox Series X is very appealing to me, but I prefer Sony's first party offerings over Microsoft's and the technical advantages of XSX to not outweigh the first party line up for me."), but fanboy bickering is just annoying to anyone interested in a serious discussion about a console; they shit up the forum, are of no value and even work to discourage more valuable discussion. Even without name calling, console warring is just annoying garbage tier posting.

Sometimes you get caught in the crossfire. There was a thread about the merits of the propietary ssd card vs the off the shelf ssd upgrade and well, I am big on the whole right to repair and user upgrades and all that and I went in and heated up and caught a warning. And while I own a ps4 now, I owned an xbox last gen and haven't made a purchase decision yet by which I mean I wasn't stanning specifically for one or the other, I was stanning for a personal preference.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Sometimes you get caught in the crossfire. There was a thread about the merits of the propietary ssd card vs the off the shelf ssd upgrade and well, I am big on the whole right to repair and user upgrades and all that and I went in and heated up and caught a warning. And while I own a ps4 now, I owned an xbox last gen and haven't made a purchase decision yet by which I mean I wasn't stanning specifically for one or the other, I was stanning for a personal preference.
Of course that is possible and this is why a moderation with several steps of severity is good. A quick warning, understanding and correction - everyone is happy. If people try to incite console wars and do not react appropriately to moderation warnings is when more serious steps are warranted.

I liked dishing out a few jabs after that ingenious Cerny GDC talk and the presentation of the PS5's specs since the whole thing seemed so hilarious to me at the time, but that whole "we need to find reasons why the PS5 is great anyway" grasping at straws and the other sides constant retarded bashing of it grew old very fast.

That aggressiveness that built up between factions was so annoying to me that I almost avoided visiting the gaming side here since then.

Which is sad.

We are all gamers, let's cheer we have options.

Bill O'Rights

Staff Member

Geki-D Geki-D if you go into the threads themselves you will see a spate of opposing views. Posters like Explosive Zombie, DForce, jayjay, jbomb and Clear are discussing the same issue as TheStruggler was. At times they are losing their temper and making social media references/throwaway comments as well. However, their participation is authentic and we've not felt the need to pull anyone up over it. It is to be expected in contentious topics, there will be an element of frustration that leaks out this way. But there is a difference between being contentious in order to invite scrutiny, and being disingenuously contentious to drag the thread into plain feuding. This user now has a pattern of doing the same thing and the mods know right away what their purpose in these threads appears to be. If they persist on their return the bans will obviously be quicker for the same behaviour.

You are basing your stance on the fact we haven't issued reply bans or taken action against other users because it's not on the ban page - and we've only taken action against TheStruggler. This presumption, and therefore the underlying basis of your grievance, is incorrect. Posters wlll always view the forums through the lens of bias. Moderator's will too - we think we're doing a pretty good for example. But in our case, we can refer to fifty pages of audit logs for all moderator actions (that alerts the team on updates) to keep us honest and 'fair', and certainly evidence justification to the rest of the team (and admins that sit above us) for any actions that are taken. It's the same bias that permuates the pony/xbot threads. Each side will only really see the ban page, without the numerous other soft touch interactions that take place. A handful of extremists, that require a more stringent level of action, can skew those perceptions quite easily, and has done previously. For example, can you see any reply bans issued for any conduct in the Valhalla thread? No, but they have been issued for users also making driveby contentious remarks.

There are neo-members who have come in and dropped a driveby and then engaged with the topic at hand. We give everyone a chance to detach themselves from the current furore on twitter, reddit etc. There will be a bit of bleed as our members are probably engaged across multiple sites with different rules/expectations. We're not running a 'gotcha' camp. Everyone will be given chances and opportunities. As you can see from the ban page, there comes a point when a user is basically just acting stupid. If you are reply banned from one thread and told why, then immediately go to another thread spouting the same nonsense and ignoring the mod message then yes, you will be reply banned again. Which will eventually escalate to a full site ban. It became more important to antagonise, personally insult and inflame the situation than make any valid points for this user. The patience wore out. As it does for others who behave in the same way. When you get into territory where you're just rapidly posting snappy, short posts directed at users or just to play one-upmanship, it's a pretty safe conclusion you need to step away. Either because you're too emotionally involved and you've lost your composure to be calm, or you're trying to antagonise as many people as possible and are frantically reading threads to hit reply and derail around some other minutiae mentioned in passing. The mods we have are quite experienced over many years to pick up on these things - often subtle in nature.

Obviously we see things from a broader perspective than regular members, because we surf threads with a level of detachment. There are consistent indicators and signals when a user is in a descent or spiral and they're going to go too far. At that point we take corrective action. A single reply ban for example. And we make the user aware to dial it back - then we see that behaviour continue across threads and we have to be a bit firmer. These are issued specifically to avoid the need to reach for the ban button. But that point does have a threshold, and when it's crossed we have to see those actions through.

Moderation will always be inconsistent, so I'm not sure if that is meant to be a slight or a jab or anything. Any intelligent person will know this. Justice by its nature is adaptive/inconsistent for the same crimes because circumstances, provocation and the people involved will all vary. If there was a simple blanket rule applied, this would be an over-correction. Hope this has given you some insight. There really is no hidden agenda or bias except participate honestly even if you hold a controversial view.

Geki-D

Banned
Moderation will always be inconsistent, so I'm not sure if that is meant to be a slight or a jab or anything. Any intelligent person will know this. Justice by its nature is adaptive/inconsistent for the same crimes because circumstances, provocation and the people involved will all vary. If there was a simple blanket rule applied, this would be an over-correction. Hope this has given you some insight. There really is no hidden agenda or bias except participate honestly even if you hold a controversial view.
I get that moderation by its nature has to be inconsistent and on a case by case basis but I don't see how posting "The Lezzed of Us" or "Cuckmann" is participating honestly in any possible way. Like I said, the shitposting & trolling in TLOU2 threads has been a very solid constant on GAF and I've never seen anyone else get a tag telling people to report them if they continue or getting banned over it.

Now, I'll concede that I have no idea what went on behind the scenes, maybe warnings were issued and so were reply bans in fact looking back at an old thread I did see that there was a mod cleanup in one of them, but it never seemed to deter other TLOU2 threads from getting derailed. I also get that in the past TLOU2 threads were more spaced out and recent events have caused a flurry of them to appear so trolling now will be more obvious.

Ultimately it just blows my mind that on a gaming forum, it's near impossible to have a conversation about a game in terms of gameplay, mechanics and story without drive-by shitposts being the lion's share of comments coming in. You have a thread called "Cuckmann Pushes his SJW, Social Marxist, Woke, Gay Agenda" then sure, post all the "Lezbo of Us" memes you want (that "Druckmann Makes A Speech" thread, I went nowhere near, for example). But a thread about plot or gameplay, no. Then it's just blatant trolling and disrupts the people who want to have a legitimate talk about the game.

I'll be interested to see how the OT goes for the game because I really can't imagine it having one like other games do. The opinion of the game on this site is just too inflammatory for me to picture an OT dedicated to level headed discussion right now.

Bill O'Rights

Staff Member
Ultimately it just blows my mind that on a gaming forum, it's near impossible to have a conversation about a game in terms of gameplay, mechanics and story without drive-by shitposts being the lion's share of comments coming in. You have a thread called "Cuckmann Pushes his SJW, Social Marxist, Woke, Gay Agenda" then sure, post all the "Lezbo of Us" memes you want (that "Druckmann Makes A Speech" thread, I went nowhere near, for example). But a thread about plot or gameplay, no. Then it's just blatant trolling and disrupts the people who want to have a legitimate talk about the game.

Unfortunately it's the nature of the beast. With so little else revealed and to talk about, any controversy will take centre stage. Ghosts of Tsushima is in the same boat, there's nothing to talk about and if something was released that people didn't like, that would take centre stage. There's a balance to be struck beyond being so draconian every driveby is removed and allowing communities to have 'their reactions'. We saw the same in the Game of Thrones thread where a lot of ire and slurs were thrown the way of Benioff and Weiss, or in other places 'fascist white female dictator' vibes. We have to be fair and give every user an honest crack of the whip, so allowing the odd driveby in threads isn't really an issue especially when they're so generalised and not directed at users. We'll generally step in and make an intervention where there are pages of the same drivebys and actual decent posts are being buried, or when a singular user is drivebying across multiple pages. At the moment, you'll get a few eye rolling posts across the course of a page or two but nothing that is dominating the thread too much. The actual discussion around the identity and sexuality topics though will remain, and some of them are actually good at providing alternate views, some are just heated debates in which neither user is backing down, but nor are they over stepping the mark in trying to get their point conceded.

I'll be interested to see how the OT goes for the game because I really can't imagine it having one like other games do. The opinion of the game on this site is just too inflammatory for me to picture an OT dedicated to level headed discussion right now.

tenor.gif

In all honesty, the OT will be relatively easier. It's all in one place and has people actually discussing the game and story. Any stupid derails will be thread bans, especially for those that aren't actively playing the game and just making metacomments to derail around.

ethomaz

Banned
You should have let it go.

The only reason your are on my ignore list is because you need to have the last word and move the goalposts as you seem fit.

If you listen to Bill O'Rights Bill O'Rights and learn to have a proper discussion you will have a better time here.

Im going to take you off ignore again one last time, and I hope you listened to what he said. You are a good poster, but it can get so pedantic with you.
If you don’t post false info in the threads I won’t engage with you... I don’t remember what are you talking about but probably that is what happened.
It is pretty simple.
I didn’t go fight people in the threads without a good reason... it is boring to do that.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
ethomaz ethomaz

I think if you refer to the bolded you missed the point of my reply. A good defence is not 'oh yeah, but what about...... *points finger'. The reply ban is not for a single reply. Action we take against users is based on many different factors. We take things into account like

i) are there any active warnings
ii) has the user been warned about this in the same thread
iii) has the user been warned about similar behaviours in other threads

I'm sorry, but there is nothing in your reply that suggests it is anything beyond a quick retort, in order to have the reply ban rolled back via public pressure. Other users can possibly have different actions taken against them for the same interaction. Moderation is applied (as much as possible) with the individual in mind. It's adaptive, as it's the only fair way to issue appropriate sanctions for a disobeyed rule or a faux pas. Having said that, asking about what actions were taken against others specifically is not for you or I to share, that is up to those members involved. Again, it goes without saying, but you cannot see any interactions (beyond the ban page) in which we engage with users, so to assume no-one else is spoken to is naive. However, on the ban page you see the user you refer to also had reply and warnings (you also have reply bans and warnings, and off thread interactions with mods). If you'd like to trade your reply ban for a 5 week site ban in order to support your point of consistency, then you need only ask. Before it was stated on the ban page, were you aware that user had had reply bans or warnings?

In the spirit of goodwill I will reduce the reply ban to 5 days (4 days left to serve), but this comes with caveats going forward. The next time you derail this thread, then a reply ban will be issued quicker given the faith we're putting in you now. It will also be longer. I'd like to also say this isn't out the blue as you already had a warning for other confrontations in the same manner, and you also had interactions with a mod about a different topic that led to no reply bans/warnings. This is something you need to improve on going forward.

This concludes the appeal with a compromise, and an appeal to disengage earlier instead of dragging petty squabbles on.
Like I said the ban itself doesn’t bother me in any way... I’m not defending myself but the inconsistency.
I was wrong in derailing thread but if somebody kept pushing you then you need to reply back or else it will never ends. I can deal with fair consequences.

But when different “actions” depending of the person then that bother me.

I was not talking with the other guy, in fact I never quoted him before he tagged me and start to quote me over and over and over.
He clear come to do that.

But to the mod team I’m the bad guy and he is the good one even when both derailed the thread at the same time (I did not keep spamming alone the thread... the fact I just reply what I was or tagged tells you a lot)

If you want me to learn over what happened then you need to set the example and not privilege s over other.

That is what I think.

Next time I will tag you if something like happened instead to engage with he user but I really have no faith today that will help... let’s see what happen.

Thanks for you reply btw.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

Edit - I just checked... the guy barely post in the thread before the bully he tried yesterday he posted some comments in Feb 2020... he has less than 50 posts in the thread being half yesterday quoting/tagging me.

The guy posted in the thread probably with the goal to derail it since beginning.
This thread is shit show, I wrote benign post there and was prompty warned if I do another this sort of infraction I would be banned from replying. Those people there are in full report force, I hate fragile ego. And why the fuck snitching is became so popular, I would never report anyone.

ethomaz

Banned
This thread is shit show, I wrote benign post there and was prompty warned if I do another this sort of infraction I would be banned from replying. Those people there are in full report force, I hate fragile ego. And why the fuck snitching is became so popular, I would never report anyone.
I do not report too... I used the report feature once to talk with the mods and that made me lose the feature :messenger_tears_of_joy:
If I have 10 reports use is too much where most are duplicated threads reports.

Here we have another award winning Mod comment
S semicool PostMay 3, 2020May 16, 2020Fanbois, Fanbois everywhere!!! As well as the other nonsense in your posting history. Two week warrior ban. This ban was powered by 9.2TFlops of mod powah!!!

:pie_roffles::pie_roffles::pie_roffles:

BTW: anyone know what why MHK requested a ban?

Here’s a link to his post about it

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Yes, even though I love Sony, I won't ever say something as stupid as the GPU in PS5 is more powerful than XSX, maybe describing other collective aspects could outperform XSX in some scenarios and vise versa as "speculations". And saying PS4 Pro is performing the same as X1X as well on multiplats is just funny.

So yes, you can be a fan but try your best to back your claims/speculations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom