• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Ban Review/Justice Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Welcome new mods.

To all mods: If possible to maximize laughs, whenever a user tries to do an alt profile getting permabanned again, all I ask is to consider stating which user is trying again for the second, third, fourth time.

lol

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
lord commander of t&a

CaptainVanHelsing CaptainVanHelsing

3OYL.gif

Last edited:
S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
Welcome new mods.

To all mods: If possible to maximize laughs, whenever a user tries to do an alt profile getting permabanned again, all I ask is to consider stating which user is trying again for the second, third, fourth time.

lol
Guessing the main is half the fun!

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Publicly calling out whoever gave me a temp ban (at the same time as a warning, which is not how warnings work), for "inadequate rhetoric," and "trying to score virtuosity points" (from who? Liberals pol PoliGAF? Where?), just an obviously and honestly political ban, in total contradiction to EviLore EviLore OP's post.

If we're saying there are different rules for arguments on the right or left of an issue, or that this is a safe space for conservatives, just say it publicly and I'll post somewhere else.

Last edited:
Publicly calling out whoever gave me a temp ban (at the same time as a warning, which is not how warnings work), for "inadequate rhetoric," and "trying to score virtuosity points" (from who? Liberals pol PoliGAF? Where?), just an obviously and honestly political ban, in total contradiction to EviLore EviLore OP's post.

If we're saying there are different rules for arguments on the right or left of an issue, or that this is a safe space for conservatives, just say it publicly and I'll post somewhere else.
794703.jpg

Happosai

Hold onto your panties

You should be writing this privately in support to the mods. Just a thought...

nush

Fuk teh m0dS! Yo, Link us up to the post they temp banned you for bro. Time to expose the bias!!!

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
why would you do the latter not the former and not wait for a response

there's no conservative space safe here, it's mostly a bunch of mods and 'tarians wanting for no bullshit
Exactly, GAF mods are pretty decent and tend to weight these things out fairly. If it's B.S., they'll explain it with the utmost professionalism and witty humor. If it's legit wrong (which is rare)...they might offer you an empathy reaction EviLore EviLore and the other mods are pretty busy guys and I'm not so sure you can expect a sympathy reaction so soon after creating the empathy emoticon.

Btw, Tesseract Tesseract ...you changed your emoticon...cool man!

Ornlu

Banned

Honest suggestion: Just argue in at least somewhat good faith, regardless of what your opinions are. Bad faith arguing and intentional derails are what seems to usually get people banned from political threads. That or a bad case of the 'isms'.

SF Kosmo

Honest suggestion: Just argue in at least somewhat good faith, regardless of what your opinions are. Bad faith arguing and intentional derails are what seems to usually get people banned from political threads. That or a bad case of the 'isms'.
I always argue in good faith. Honestly, I spell out all my points, I don't do dishonest gotchas or bait and switch arguments. You might still disagree with me, but I'm not being cheap, I answer every question and address every point I'm asked. You can't just say it's "not in good faith" simply because you disagree. That phrase is often used as code for "I think I'm right and I should have convinced you, but I haven't so you're the problem."

You can't run a forum with open discussion where that's the standard.

Meanwhile, any thread I post in turns into an explosion of unprovoked insults and personal attacks, none of which ever result in moderation. There's a clear double standard for rules enforcement along political lines, and it's not a coincidence that centrist or left voices are entirely absent from the forum at this point; they've been systematically removed.

Last edited:
I always argue in good faith. Honestly, I spell out all my points, I don't do dishonest gotchas or bait and switch arguments. You might still disagree with me, but I'm not being cheap, I answer every question and address every point I'm asked. You can't just say it's "not in good faith" simply because you disagree. That phrase is often used as code for "I think I'm right and I should have convinced you, but I haven't so you're the problem."

But you still haven't linked us the post that got you in trouble.

SF Kosmo

But you still haven't linked us the post that got you in trouble.
It was this thread, no specific post referenced:

I made this post:
The problem with your reasoning, here, is that a "Motte and Bailey" fallacy does not disprove the Motte, only the ways in which one selectively advances the arguments of the Bailey.

"BLM" cannot be both the Motte and the Fallacy. One can use a Motte and Bailey fallacy to defend a more radical position, and surely people have, but that doesn't in any way erase or negate the broad, popular position of BLM.

Again, perfectly polite and reasonable, and then heads exploded for a few pages.

Last edited:
It was this thread, no specific post referenced:

I made this post:

Again, perfectly polite and reasonable, and then heads exploded for a few pages.

It looked like you caused the whole thread to spin around you instead of the actual argument. Your argument seemed disingenuous at best, as well, you were told multiple times the thread title was as it was due to space requirements and the explanation was in the OP for why your argument was fallacious.

Ornlu

Banned

Meanwhile, any thread I post in turns into an explosion of unprovoked insults and personal attacks, none of which ever result in moderation. There's a clear double standard for rules enforcement along political lines, and it's not a coincidence that centrist or left voices are entirely absent from the forum at this point; they've been systematically removed.

Your argument fails right there; I'm openly a 'centrist', as are many others. I post what I want, and haven't had any issues with it.There are open leftists who post here. I've seen right-wingers banned when they step out of line.

Is this the politics version of "Only Sony/Xbox fans can post here!!!"?

SF Kosmo

It looked like you caused the whole thread to spin around you instead of the actual argument. Your argument seemed disingenuous at best, as well, you were told multiple times the thread title was as it was due to space requirements and the explanation was in the OP for why your argument was fallacious.
What about my argument, specifically, seemed "disingenuous" at best? I think that pointing out a simple false equivalence fallacy in a thread about false equivalence fallacies is a pretty reasonable take. You cannot assume some negative intent on my part just because you disagree with or don't understand my argument.

You can call it a derail, but the rules prohibit drivebys and I made every effort to address every question thrown my way in good faith. Period.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Your argument fails right there; I'm openly a 'centrist', as are many others. I post what I want, and haven't had any issues with it.There are open leftists who post here. I've seen right-wingers banned when they step out of line.

Is this the politics version of "Only Sony/Xbox fans can post here!!!"?
Look, I can only comment on what I've seen in my short time here, but people fling a lot of shit my way and none of it is ever moderated, but I'm punished because someone is dissatisfied with the sincerity of my arguments? Come on.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
That's where you're wrong; drop that mentality. We're all guests here as long as the staff permits, whether that's through a ban or closing down the site.
They can run it however they want

Fueling your complaints about unfair moderation with charged political rhetoric tends to damage your own argument.

If the threads you're in are turning into shit holes, leave the shit hole, don't become a part of it. That's how you get warnings.

Also, I'd rethink coming to a gaming focused forum and expecting great political commentary

Look, I can only comment on what I've seen in my short time here, but people fling a lot of shit my way and none of it is ever moderated, but I'm punished because someone is dissatisfied with the sincerity of my arguments? Come on.
You said it yourself, you're the new guy

Give it some time and see if you find your place in the forums; if not, there's plenty of other forums out there

What about my argument, specifically, seemed "disingenuous" at best? I think that pointing out a simple false equivalence fallacy in a thread about false equivalence fallacies is a pretty reasonable take. You cannot assume some negative intent on my part just because you disagree with or don't understand my argument.

You can call it a derail, but the rules prohibit drivebys and I made every effort to address every question thrown my way in good faith. Period.

Yeah, it feels like you want to do the same dance here you did there, all over again. We all think we're right because we all think we're smart, but what's really smart is not continuing to do things the mods have made clear they don't want you doing.

Ornlu

Banned

If you post something stupid or laughable, and 300 people read the thread, chances are 30 of those people are going to openly laugh at what you said, or call you stupid. It should be expected that some shit get flung your way, yes?

Your posts in the thread link you posted were pretty dumb, at best, or intentionally obtuse at worst. That's just my opinion, of course. You can argue that your behavior has been 100% above board, but I doubt if people are going to look at your post history and think "Man, those mods really have it out for this guy! How unfair!"

SF Kosmo

If you post something stupid or laughable, and 300 people read the thread, chances are 30 of those people are going to openly laugh at what you said, or call you stupid. It should be expected that some shit get flung your way, yes?

Your posts in the thread link you posted were pretty dumb, at best, or intentionally obtuse at worst. That's just my opinion, of course. You can argue that your behavior has been 100% above board, but I doubt if people are going to look at your post history and think "Man, those mods really have it out for this guy! How unfair!"
You don't have to agree with my post, but it wasn't rehashed, I explained/elaborated/defended it in good faith. If I was banned because the mod thinks I'm wrong, then that's essentially affirming what I've said.

Last edited:

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
I mean I did, but you have a certain obligation to answer people or you can warned for drivebys.
You have no obligation to answer anyone, outside of very specific scenarios

Me, personally?
I would say you don't as long as you didn't start some absolute bull shit in a thread then you don't have to respond

You don't have to agree with my post, but it wasn't rehashed, I explained/elaborated/defended it in good faith, and for the record not one person could specifically pinpoint what they thought was incorrect about it when asked, so I don't see how I broke the rules except to have an unpopular opinion.
Don't be so dogmatic about a forum; it's just the internet holmes
It's not serious business

Take the temp ban as advice, not as something that colors you as some sort of villain or wrong doer

We've had multiple people who are a little gruff with their postings make fine come backs after they appealed the ban and it was lifted

Once again, I would rethink the decision of coming to a gaming focused forum and expecting great political commentary, or decisions based upon discussions in politics

You also might take the hint that multiple people are saying you're just being over zealous about being right and convincing the others of the same. Don't come to a conversation with the expectation of people agreeing with you, and if not, to change their minds. Say your piece, defend it a bit, and move on.

You could have a good faith argument and still piss everyone else off in a conversation; those are two separate things

You're new, you've said it yourself, you've been here 41 days. You're not even half way through an employment probationary period
Give it some time holmes

SF Kosmo

Take the temp ban as advice, not as something that colors you as some sort of villain or wrong doer
It's the language in the issued warning that gives me pause.

You also might take the hint that multiple people are saying you're just being over zealous about being right and convincing the others of the same.
I know I come off this way, but I'm actually just zealous about wanting people to point out where I'm wrong, to make a specific argument, rather than just being broadly dismissive (you're dumb/missing the point/disingenuous/bad faith/whatever) or insulting. If you read that thread it's a lot of me trying to corner people into making an argument and them refusing or being evasive.

And like, that's dumb on my part, if someone doesn't want to have a real argument I can't make them. But the language of the ban warning issued made it clear that it wasn't about a derail it was about a mod being dissatisfied with my argument.

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
you were pointed out where you were wrong in the motte thread (as an example)

accusations of bad faith do you no favors, same goes with collectivist asseveration

i think you write well and put up a good fight but some reflection and (de)compression of thought might do you good

Last edited:

Dargor

You don't have to agree with my post, but it wasn't rehashed, I explained/elaborated/defended it in good faith. If I was banned because the mod thinks I'm wrong, then that's essentially affirming what I've said.

You do realise that in order for you to get banned the mods must think you're wrong, right? Thats how moderation works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom