• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Ban Review/Justice Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papa

Banned
Ape / monkey comparisons for black people are one of the oldest and most persistent racial demunatives and are actually incredibly close to the core racist belief that black people are less developed humans. Calling cops pigs is an insult, true, but (1) it is not targeted at a immutable property and (2) it does not carry the connotations about intellectual, societal and even physical qualities of the human. While I am critical of the "using make up to change your appearance to be closer to another ethnicity is always racist" line of thought and do think this is a very US-centric view, the same does not hold for the ape/monkey comparison. That is pretty universal in the western world.

I’m of the view that if you want someone else to change their behaviour, the onus is on you to lead by example. Pig vs ape, the magnitude of offence doesn’t need to be the same for that to hold true. Your approach mentally cripples people when you make seeking trigger words their path of least resistance. It’s the easy, feel-good approach, but all it does is compound the problems in the long term.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I’m of the view that if you want someone else to change their behaviour, the onus is on you to lead by example. Pig vs ape, the magnitude of offence doesn’t need to be the same for that to hold true. Your approach mentally cripples people when you make seeking trigger words their path of least resistance. It’s the easy, feel-good approach, but all it does is compound the problems in the long term.
I do not think the onus is on "black people" to motivate change in racist behaviour by modifying their own behaviour.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Yeah, and I said I thought it deserved a ban. Just not a perm given what was going on in that thread.
Well I disagree and think that letting someone who made such blatantly racist postings back in would hurt black users and users who do not want to get associated with racism on this forum way more than any positive contributions Whitesnake may have made in the future.

I posted this on the "Xbox Series X: Phil Spencer Says You Haven't Understood The True Power Of Next-Gen Yet"

"Why are there Sony fanboys claiming that MS needs to show games? If I remember correctly, and please tell me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it ONLY MS that had the balls to show off not only gameplay, but the console, AND controller? While Sony has only tweeted a controller? No gameplay, no nothing?

SPOILER: DISCLAIMER

I'm a PC gamer, so I'm not biased to either console, but it's funny how some fans can shit on another company, yet their company of choice hasn't shown shit?"

Someone please tell me how this is considered driveby shit posting, or how can I be labeled a "PC fanboy" from that post? There's literally Sony fans shit posting about gameplay in an Xbox thread. How do I get banned for standing up?!

Can the word fanboy be used by certain people and not others? Just searching the threads with that word, comes up with many search results. Not sure why I been banned, yet the shit posters can still post in that thread? Is it ok to shit post about the company you don't like, but saying a certain word gets you instantly banned?

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Hello,

I do not want to evade the penalty to which I have been subjected and therefore am openly asking that I be allowed to post on these boards again. I am "BluRayHiDef" and was banned for having "No interest in participating" as a result of making a post in this thread, in which I expressed frustration about how rigid I believed this site's moderation rules to be. However, my intention was not to convey a lack of interest in participating. I have sent several emails to this site's support team, but I have yet to receive a response and don't think that I ever will. Hence, I have resorted to this means of initiating communication. I enjoy talking about video games and video-game technology and would like to be able to do so again in this site's forums. I humbly request that my ban be undone. As my ban was applied by this site's utmost authority, Tyler Malka, I would imagine that only he has the power to reverse my ban. Mr. Malka, may I please be allowed to participate in these boards again?

Hi there, not sure if this is ok to post here but I dont see any help desk area anywhere, to the admin in charge, I dont know what happen but it looks like I cant post anymore new topics or threads, is there a limitation as to how much I can post, I didn't received any alerts or warnings or whatsoever, can anyone put me some lights here?, please and thank you.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I posted this on the "Xbox Series X: Phil Spencer Says You Haven't Understood The True Power Of Next-Gen Yet"

"Why are there Sony fanboys claiming that MS needs to show games? If I remember correctly, and please tell me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it ONLY MS that had the balls to show off not only gameplay, but the console, AND controller? While Sony has only tweeted a controller? No gameplay, no nothing?

I'm a PC gamer, so I'm not biased to either console, but it's funny how some fans can shit on another company, yet their company of choice hasn't shown shit?"

Someone please tell me how this is considered driveby shit posting, or how can I be labeled a "PC fanboy" from that post? There's literally Sony fans shit posting about gameplay in an Xbox thread. How do I get banned for standing up?!
Have you considered de-escalation instead of tit-for-tat aggression? Why do you feel such a strong responsibility to stand up?

Stuart360

Just want to say a big thankyou to the mods, and how they have clamped down fairly on the excessive console warring in the gaming forum, its a much better place for it imo. But can i just ask, is the 'next gen' thread exempt from this moderation?, have any of the mods actually spent any time reading through that abomination of a thread lately?

pawel86ck

Banned
Can the word fanboy be used by certain people and not others? Just searching the threads with that word, comes up with many search results. Not sure why I been banned, yet the shit posters can still post in that thread? Is it ok to shit post about the company you don't like, but saying a certain word gets you instantly banned?
I have noticed the same thing. I can talk about problems related to PC / xbox and even make jokes about these platforms, however for some strange reason when I do the same thing in regards to playstation then I'm instantly reported, and my post is deleted. In comparison playstation fans are allowed to post not only jokes and baits, but also they can post disrespectful comments without any penalty. I like playstation for myself, however there's clearly something wrong with hardcore playstation fans on this site and I really hope moderation will start giving them "presents" as well.

Last edited:
Have you considered de-escalation instead of tit-for-tat aggression? Why do you feel such a strong responsibility to stand up?
I never quoted anyone, or singled anyone out. Just openly discussed my thoughts on what I was reading from the driveby insults. I personally didn't feel that my quote was escalating the issue, as matter a fact, I thought it would deescalate the driveby shit posting. My comments in that thread were not negative. And it's pretty insulting that the message I received with the ban, called me a "PC fanboy". Like what does that even have to do with my post that I got banned for in the first place?

Why are there Sony fanboys claiming that MS needs to show games? If I remember correctly, and please tell me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it ONLY MS that had the balls to show off not only gameplay, but the console, AND controller? While Sony has only tweeted a controller? No gameplay, no nothing?

I get that I may have had a bad reputation in the past with you guys, but a strike on my account for that seems excessive.

I have noticed the same thing. I can talk about problems related to PC / xbox and even make jokes about these platforms, however for some strange reason when I do the same thing in regards to playstation then I'm instantly reported, and my post is deleted. In comparison playstation fans are allowed not only jokes and baits, but also they can post disrespectful comments without any penalty. I like playstation for myself, however there's clearly something wrong with hardcore playstation fans on this site and I really hope moderation will start giving them "presents" as well.

You are not alone my friend. I honestly feel it's so one sided in that regard. I see the same handful of people get away with everything. They even stir up drama, but you get banned if you say anything. For instance, me speaking up about it in the Phil Spencer thread, got me banned. But I bet the shit posters didn't receive any points. As the same people would have long been perma banned.

Last edited:
Hello,

I do not want to evade the penalty to which I have been subjected and therefore am openly asking that I be allowed to post on these boards again. I am "BluRayHiDef" and was banned for having "No interest in participating" as a result of making a post in this thread, in which I expressed frustration about how rigid I believed this site's moderation rules to be. However, my intention was not to convey a lack of interest in participating. I have sent several emails to this site's support team, but I have yet to receive a response and don't think that I ever will. Hence, I have resorted to this means of initiating communication. I enjoy talking about video games and video-game technology and would like to be able to do so again in this site's forums. I humbly request that my ban be undone. As my ban was applied by this site's utmost authority, Tyler Malka, I would imagine that only he has the power to reverse my ban. Mr. Malka, may I please be allowed to participate in these boards again?

Edit: Just saw that you sent emails to the staff and didn't receive a response yet.

Anyways I wish you good luck.

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
Hello,

Last edited:
I honestly feel it's so one sided in that regard. I see the same handful of people get away with everything.

I check the ban list regularly and each side gets hit. This isn't really a "SonyGaf" situation like some people are suggesting. Sofar moderation seems pretty fair and transparent on this site.

And if it's any consolation just report people that break the TOS. I can confirm 1st hand that it works and the admins are very responsive.

Last edited:

SonGoku

I'd like to thank all members who spoke on my behalf ( thelastword thelastword The Mad Draklor The Mad Draklor Thedtrain Thedtrain MiyazakiHatesKojima MiyazakiHatesKojima MasterCornholio MasterCornholio ANIMAL1975 ANIMAL1975 ) and EviLore EviLore for giving me the benefit of doubt. I deeply appreciate it everyone. First day of my ban was rough not knowing if it was perm or not, the GaFddiction and most hard of all was seeing comments from members who valued my posts baffled by my actions, it was hard reading your comments and not being able to explain myself and the situation, having disappointed you all was painful as cliche as it sounds.

I'd like to provide context to explain it wasn't out of malice, it wasn't an account suicide, I wasn't out to ruin the game for others etc. but before that I'll make clear I acknowledge my actions were wrong regardless of context and I deserved the ban.
Few days before (april 19) I created a private group called chitchat with 3 other members (A, B, C )beside myself where we drop comments/questions and disccus random subjects related to gaming (consoles, tech, games etc.)

Come April 27 after reading leaks I wanted to vent my frustration and disappointment, my intent wasn't to discuss specific spoilers just to express contempt for the direction the game took. I dropped a few comments in group chat saying the game is ruined and has garbage plot, will buy on discount bin then A said we should move on. In hindsight this is were i should have taken the hint and stopped but I was careless wasn't thinking too absorbed in my emotions and desire to vent and joke with the boys.

30 minutes later i find a drawing meme mocking the game which i thought was hilarious so I shared it with the group with inline spoilers and a warning about containing spoilers. I didn't give enough of a heads up as i should have though (big font, red, caps etc) and the inline spoiler drawing was just too tempting to click I guess. A & B saw the spoiler they didn't seem bothered so my first reaction was to type "lol really ?" *facepalm* and said sorry C didn't actually see the spoiler but called me out for it so I apologized again

I'd like to thank all members who spoke on my behalf ( thelastword thelastword The Mad Draklor The Mad Draklor Thedtrain Thedtrain MiyazakiHatesKojima MiyazakiHatesKojima MasterCornholio MasterCornholio ANIMAL1975 ANIMAL1975 ) and EviLore EviLore for giving me the benefit of doubt. I deeply appreciate it everyone. First day of my ban was rough not knowing if it was perm or not, the GaFddiction and most hard of all was seeing comments from members who valued my posts baffled by my actions, it was hard reading your comments and not being able to explain myself and the situation, having disappointed you all was painful as cliche as it sounds.

I'd like to provide context to explain it wasn't out of malice, it wasn't an account suicide, I wasn't out to ruin the game for others etc. but before that I'll make clear I acknowledge my actions were wrong regardless of context and I deserved the ban.
Few days before (april 19) I created a private group called chitchat with 3 other members (A, B, C )beside myself where we drop comments/questions and disccus random subjects related to gaming (consoles, tech, games etc.)

Come April 27 after reading leaks I wanted to vent my frustration and disappointment, my intent wasn't to discuss specific spoilers just to express contempt for the direction the game took. I dropped a few comments in group chat saying the game is ruined and has garbage plot, will buy on discount bin then A said we should move on. In hindsight this is were i should have taken the hint and stopped but I was careless wasn't thinking too absorbed in my emotions and desire to vent and joke with the boys.

30 minutes later i find a drawing meme mocking the game which i thought was hilarious so I shared it with the group with inline spoilers and a warning about containing spoilers. I didn't give enough of a heads up as i should have though (big font, red, caps etc) and the inline spoiler drawing was just too tempting to click I guess. A & B saw the spoiler they didn't seem bothered so my first reaction was to type "lol really ?" *facepalm* and said sorry C didn't actually see the spoiler but called me out for it so I apologized again

Thank you so much for explaining everything. It seemed like a really weird thing for you to do.

Welcome back to Gaf.

WELCOME BACK, KING!

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Welcome back. Just in time for the reveal, so get on over to your legendary thread and hop aboard TGO TGO 's craziest CHOO CHOO and make GAF history!

Last edited:

ANIMAL1975

I'm glad you back mate, always believed it had been some goofed situation like the one you described, but without malicious or harmful intentions.
Thanks EviLore EviLore and the staff for your work, it's great to be a part of this forum because of you guys too.

Birdo

Banned
Looked to me like Birdo genuinely had a brain fart, as opposed to any malice. He edited it immediately when it was pointed out to him.

I just came in here to say thank you for giving me benefit of the doubt, when some others were trying their hardest make me look guilty.

I made a joke analogy comparing the severity of the Cyberpunk leak to the TLOU2 leak, without thinking that other people hadn't seen the spoilers (I had spent all day in the spoiler thread). It was a genuine dumb blonde moment and not malicious.

Thanks to the staff for reversing the ban.

Good riddance.

a75qzpq8n1131.jpg

EDIT: Holy shit, I just noticed that I came back at the exact same time as someone else :messenger_neutral: Freaky!

Last edited:

Thedtrain

Welcome back bro

I just came in here to say thank you for giving me benefit of the doubt, when some others were trying their hardest make me look guilty.

I made a joke analogy comparing the severity of the Cyberpunk leak to the TLOU2 leak, without thinking that other people hadn't seen the spoilers (I had spent all day in the spoiler thread). It was a genuine dumb blonde moment and not malicious.

a75qzpq8n1131.jpg
I'll admit: I was being a little bitch during that time and let my emotions get the best of me. Glad to see you took that shit like a champ, anyone else would've ripped me apart.

Welcome back, mate :)

a75qzpq8n1131.jpg

EDIT: Holy shit, I just noticed that I came back at the exact same time as someone else :messenger_neutral: Freaky!

Welcome back weirdo.

MYHVp6.gif

:messenger_squinting_tongue:

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Welcome back, brother. We really missed you. But you came just in time to catch up with hype train for the PS5 reveal!

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X

a75qzpq8n1131.jpg

SO glad you're back and didn't get perm'd. I do hope you've spent your time away constructively and by constructive, I mean making more killer memes for the Power King thread. It's gotten stale and bitchy; we need fresh new memes, dammit.

P.S. love the kitten :messenger_relieved:

Saber

Gold Member

a75qzpq8n1131.jpg

You guys are so nice to read cuz of the clarifications. Its not so common to have people explained their reason afterwards, they generelly get sour and bitter. I'm glad you're all back.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

a75qzpq8n1131.jpg

Welcome back Birdo.:messenger_horns:

Bill O'Rights

Seldom posts. Always delivers.
Staff Member

Replied to DoctaThompson via PM they sent to mod members.

Mr. Malka, may I please be allowed to participate in these boards again?

Currently under review. I've heard a TikTok of a sensual dance using scarves, as you represent the anguish of emotional pain may tip the scales.

Hi there, not sure if this is ok to post here but I dont see any help desk area anywhere, to the admin in charge, I dont know what happen but it looks like I cant post anymore new topics or threads, is there a limitation as to how much I can post, I didn't received any alerts or warnings or whatsoever, can anyone put me some lights here?, please and thank you.

New thread privileges were removed due to threads like this and others that were akin to snot flicking within a specifically short amount of time. We suggest you spend a week or two providing quality and thoughtful responses to existing threads, so we (and everyone else) can be assured that your next thread will grab us all by the short and curlies with its signficance ;). See:

Quality > quantity for thread creation. Thanks.

Just want to say a big thankyou to the mods, and how they have clamped down fairly on the excessive console warring in the gaming forum, its a much better place for it imo. But can i just ask, is the 'next gen' thread exempt from this moderation?, have any of the mods actually spent any time reading through that abomination of a thread lately?

We track it loosely

tenor.gif

It's become a hot bed for most of the tech fights, but it does prevent them spilling out all over the boards. It's easier to moderate the smaller, focused topics than the broad, drunken tavern that thread has become. We tend to treat that as a local bar where regulars are known, and occassionally they may overspill into a bit of face slapping, but as long as there's no low effort console war bait (e.g. xbots, ponies), deliberate antagonism or direct insults - that we catch - then the smaller fires tend to burn out quick (though there are a lot). Interestingly, that thread has most permanent reply bans on the site at 53. Leads us to ask

FHvo.gif

To the credit of most in that thread currently, they seem to get along and not descend into tit for tat reporting and work it out between themselves or step away. However, if people are going in just to disrupt they are pruned quite quickly.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

a75qzpq8n1131.jpg

Welcome back! Just in time for all the gaming hype next week, and then the next month for Sony and MS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom