• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #157 - "Abdication"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaz_RB

Stay of Execution
The Art of Rue
Stepping Down into Darkness
Sharks and Their Choices
Chuckling Ignorance

Cyan

Banned
(4) The Flatulence King

- "The abdicated soul"

[*]A Marionette's Happiness

2. The Stillborn Tyrant

Love.
Hate.
Life.
Death.
Birth.
All of the above.

5.) The Cardboard Horse
Although The Black Ear also sounds interesting.

The Art of Rue

These are the ones I'd pick. Good stuff!

Mike M

Nick N
I am abdicating my dibs on "Blame of Thrones," the idea took a few turns and the title is no longer applicable : /

Zweizer

Banned
Seems like Umineko beats Nier. (・∀・)

"A Marionette's Happiness" it is, then!

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
I am so disappointed no one thought of this as a title.

BFDVcX4CAAAEHOi.jpg

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
So for the past few days I've either been too drunk or too tired to read the secondary properly.

Here are mine I just came up in a minute

Don't Lose Your Beat
The River is Made of Snow and Ice
It's Not Really Raining
Four Hours of Sleep
Missing Knight

so... can abdication as a word be used in professional contexts as well?

I mean, even aside from Wall Street brokers thinking of themselves as kings and queens of dollars, there are plenty of things you can do if it applied to willingly letting go of a position of importance.

The Interview 2? Death in the family? Switch of the seasons? King of Fighters?
Dibs on that last one, if I enter (bloody unlikely, but ok).

Tangent

Nezumi, that's so cool that you signed up for this weekend's workshop! It'd be so fun if I took it too so we could take it together but one of those days is already packed for me. :-/

And Cyan, I like how you keep us in the loop with upcoming workshops. In that podcast, Mary Robinette Kowal is especially memorable. Please continue to keep us updated! :)

Hmmm. Interesting...
knowing me I'll probably procrastinate even coming up with the titles :D

This could also be my last challenge for a couple months. Dreaded busy season... Unless I write poems or something.
Ha! I myself was thinking, "How do I procrastinate AND come up with 5 titles in advance?!" Darn busy season, though I do recommend writing poems or something shorter when possible. At least for me, it helps keep my brain in the game -- even if I'm in no mood to write -- if I just pump out something or other. (Though poems would take me twice as long, I'd bet.)

Nezumi

Nezumi, that's so cool that you signed up for this weekend's workshop! It'd be so fun if I took it too so we could take it together but one of those days is already packed for me. :-/

That would have been awesome indeed! Having someone I "know" (so to speak) there would probably make me less nervous. Ah well, you can join today's hangout instead ;)

a lighter note.
The Cardboard Horse, it is.
;p

Cyan

Banned
Hangout in about a half hour. Will put up the link shortly. Gotta take a quick shower and grab a bite to eat. :)

Wanna get three writing periods in this time, I'll time the breaks if I have to!

Nezumi

Hangout in about a half hour. Will put up the link shortly. Gotta take a quick shower and grab a bite to eat. :)

Wanna get three writing periods in this time, I'll time the breaks if I have to!

Now, what reason would there be to do that...

Charade

Ha! I myself was thinking, "How do I procrastinate AND come up with 5 titles in advance?!" Darn busy season, though I do recommend writing poems or something shorter when possible. At least for me, it helps keep my brain in the game -- even if I'm in no mood to write -- if I just pump out something or other. (Though poems would take me twice as long, I'd bet.)

Good advice. Thinking about it now I'd probably just want to write short things over poems. I know at least one person here would probably rather read a 500 word story over a 50 word poem anyways :D

Of course, I now realize I also missed a second hangout in a row! But here's some titles to make up for it, hopefully:

Away with Words
Living on Sunday
Silence Says
Black Snow Falling
The Penitent Man

LaMagenta

Happy New Year all 2015!
Now that the holidays are over I can concentrate more on writing
technically not over, celebrating Armenian Christmas tonight

Here are my picks for some of you who posted title options and that I didn't see a decision for:
Cyan-The Simplifier
Iceman- Esau's Auncle
Derwind-The quiet resignation of a loud voice
Nezumi- The black ear
Gaz_RB- Stay of Execution
FlowersisBritish- The River is made of snow and ice
Charade-Living on Sunday

Ashes

Banned
Five titles I've come up with:

For Want of a Throne
The Great Abandonment
The Simplifier
Dealing Hope, Sowing Lies
Sic Semper Tyrannis

I'm not sure what some of them mean, necessarily. They're more inspired by quotes on leadership I looked up. :p

Sic Semper Tyrannis.
I like the suggestion above too though.

GRW810

These hangouts... do you just watch each other type? I'm torn; part of me thinks that's creepy, but another part feels excluded from a clique because I don't take part.

Mike M

Nick N
These hangouts... do you just watch each other type? I'm torn; part of me thinks that's creepy, but another part feels excluded from a clique because I don't take part.
Most of us don't have cameras going.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I usually just put another window up and fart around online until Cyan calls time and I can get back to distracting everyone with tangents that keep the next session from starting on time.

Cyan

Banned

Haha! Sort of. Have you ever done an in-person write-in, like for NaNoWriMo? It's kind of like that.

The way it works is that we start up at about 2 PM, chat for around ten minutes about what we're working on (or about random stuff :p), then have a half-hour writing period. Then we check back in and repeat the ten-minute-chat, half-hour-writing another two times, finishing up at about 4 PM.

So yeah, there's a bit of watching each other type, though usually less than half of the participants have webcams going. And sometimes people will chat in the text chat during the writing period. I dunno about everyone else (somebody was playing Shovel Knight on their 3DS yesterday :p), but it keeps me honest knowing the rest of the group is there. It's been incredibly useful for me. I often come out with a completed first draft that I can edit into shape later.

Anyone who feels like hopping on and getting some writing done should absolutely join in. I promise you will be welcomed.

Anyone who isn't much interested in joining an online hangout but is feeling some FOMO--don't worry about it. It's really not a big deal!

LaMagenta

So here are the 5 titles I found using a title name generator
is that cheating?

invisible magic
a search for paradise
a hidden kindness
a taste of loneliness
desire of the heart

Nezumi

I got shit a few months back for playing A Link Between Worlds, so don't feel bad.

They're all just jealous I had my story finished days before hand

I really enjoy the hangouts but I have to admit that I usually don't get much writing done during them even when I'm trying a little harder than yesterday. I usually manage to free write a little bit in the first 30 minutes but already lost most of my concentration by the time the second writing period starts. Might have something to do with it being already rather late over here by that time.
Still wouldn't miss them though. I still find myself chuckling about "My little Cartel - Heroin is Magic"

GRW810

I got shit a few months back for playing A Link Between Worlds, so don't feel bad.

They're all just jealous I had my story finished days before hand

That sounds terribly unproductive.
You guys need to add me on NNID please. Same as GAF username. That's if you've gone Doreen that route with your 3DS.

Haha! Sort of. Have you ever done an in-person write-in, like for NaNoWriMo? It's kind of like that.

The way it works is that we start up at about 2 PM, chat for around ten minutes about what we're working on (or about random stuff :p), then have a half-hour writing period. Then we check back in and repeat the ten-minute-chat, half-hour-writing another two times, finishing up at about 4 PM.

So yeah, there's a bit of watching each other type, though usually less than half of the participants have webcams going. And sometimes people will chat in the text chat during the writing period. I dunno about everyone else (somebody was playing Shovel Knight on their 3DS yesterday :p), but it keeps me honest knowing the rest of the group is there. It's been incredibly useful for me. I often come out with a completed first draft that I can edit into shape later.

Anyone who feels like hopping on and getting some writing done should absolutely join in. I promise you will be welcomed.

Anyone who isn't much interested in joining an online hangout but is feeling some FOMO--don't worry about it. It's really not a big deal!

Most of us don't have cameras going.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I usually just put another window up and fart around online until Cyan calls time and I can get back to distracting everyone with tangents that keep the next session from starting on time.
I'd probably give it a go if I had a laptop that wasn't six years old and didn't struggle to run anything more than Notepad.

Charade

So here are the 5 titles I found using a title name generator
is that cheating?

invisible magic
a search for paradise
a hidden kindness
a taste of loneliness
desire of the heart

Invisible Magic. Though I know this is late, and hopefully you picked one already! :D

Tangent

I can't tell if there are any who have proposed 5 and are still waiting for responses?

Here are 5 random titles:

Generally Nuts
Minding One's Own Business
Minimizing Repercussions
A Method to the Madness
The Damage is Done

Here are some titles that stuck out to me, though maybe you guys are already done with your stories.
Gaz_RB: The Art of Rue, or Sharks and Their Choices
Derwind: Abandonment & the brevity of an occupation
Zweizer: A Marionette's Happiness
GorillaWithDandruff: The Stillborn Tyrant or Self-Sacrifice In the Hopes of Altruism
Iceman: Otnemem (is this Memento backwards? Well, I mean, intentionally?) or, of course, The Flatulence King
Ashes: Life
Nezumi: A Lighter Note or A Cardboard Horse
FlowersisBritish: It's Not Really Raining
Charade: The Penitent Man or Silence Says
Cyan: Sic Semper Tyrannis
karenq0506: a search for paradise or a hidden kindness

I actually got my story done! Needs plenty of editing, but I can do that easily enough. :)
Well done, cap'n!

I know at least one person here would probably rather read a 500 word story over a 50 word poem anyways :D
I'm just a slow reader is all! (In fact I might be the only one here who barely knows how to read. Or so it feels sometimes.) But I support any length (under the word limit)!!

Charade

Hmm... Generally Nuts, I feel like you could do that one justice.

I'm just a slow reader is all! (In fact I might be the only one here who barely knows how to read. Or so it feels sometimes.) But I support any length (under the word limit)!!

Oh, I didn't mean it like that. It was more of a shot at a certain regular
*cough Mike cough*
who iirc isn't the biggest fan of poetry :D

Tangent

Cyan and Charade: thanks for the recs on the titles!

Oh, I didn't mean it like that. It was more of a shot at a certain regular
*cough Mike cough*
who iirc isn't the biggest fan of poetry :D

Hehe looks like he might be up for haikus! And yeah, I didn't even mean to imply that you were saying anything like that. I was just proclaiming my astoundingly low reading skills! I think I'm just coming to terms with it, now that I'm learning more about people who write... because writers read a ton.

Despite typing out a first draft during the hangout and doing some minor revision/notes over lunch early in the week... I haven't gone back to make the changes or tidy it up. :|

So, I know what I'll be doing when I get home tonight :p

Also, the title is Can't Hardly Wait.

Stillborn Tyrant sounded super badass in my head but then when everyone picked it I realized I had no idea what to do with it. So everyone just an fyi when I pull this out of my ass at like 1 am it may not be very cohesive or good. In fact it'll most likely be pretty freaky and strange so...yea.....just an fyi. Good luck errbody!

Charade

Hehe looks like he might be up for haikus! And yeah, I didn't even mean to imply that you were saying anything like that. I was just proclaiming my astoundingly low reading skills! I think I'm just coming to terms with it, now that I'm learning more about people who write... because writers read a ton.

Yeah I don't read a lot either. Except these challenges mostly. Which is some fine reading imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom