• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF, did I just get called out by Microsoft's JEFF BELL?!

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
besada said:
I guess the disturbing thing for me here is that 1up is claiming they got verification of the guy's private details from one of the mods. Not that they just looked at the thread, but that they contacted a mod who verified his IP address, email, and whatnot to 1up. That's pretty iffy, in my book.

I doubt they passed any info, just clarified that it matched.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
CrushDance said:
More like pathetic. I'm not hating on 1UP, but the guy shouldn't get in trouble over this nor should 1uo be contacting MS to ask about this.

maybe you don't have a desk job then, but this kind of shit makes the day go by so much faster..

jmdajr

hogan0mf0if.gif

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
urk said:

Before the GAF collective freaks out, I have none of Bell's info. No one at GAF is "leaking" infos. I only asked the proposed statements in here to be verified, using a trusted source.

besada said:
I guess the disturbing thing for me here is that 1up is claiming they got verification of the guy's private details from one of the mods. Not that they just looked at the thread, but that they contacted a mod who verified his IP address, email, and whatnot to 1up. That's pretty iffy, in my book.
+1

If 1UP wanted hits and news they should be covering stuff like the Sony event not ging after stuff like this that could potentially cause a problem for Bell.

I'm not trying to be rude eXXy or 1UP people. Just saying.

besada

Banned
urk said:

Still sort of weird considering Gaf's usual policy of NOT outing industry people. Why this guy and not, say, Aisenhertz or any other number of devs? Sure, he sent a bitchy PM to AMN, but does that mean he gets outed?

One thing though... isn't the whole point of private messaging to conduct conversations in private, away from the public eye of the board? So you have this private message that is now being broadcast on a major gaming news site. That doesn't seem right.

J-Rzez

RSTEIN said:
*ring ring*

Jeff Bell: Jeff Bell here, speak to me brotha!
Steve Ballmer: Hi Jeff.
Jeff: Steve-o! What is up? Long time, buddy!
Steve Ballmer: We have a situation.
Jeff: A situation?
Steve: Yes. On NeoGAF.
Jeff: Oh, that, well, you know, I...
Steve: Jeff, even Bill knows. He lurks there, under the name Speevy.
Jeff: Dude!
Steve: You know what this means.
Jeff: No more Golden Axe? LAWLZ!
Steve: It's worse than that.
Jeff: I'll pack my bags...
Steve: Have fun running EA Casual Games.
Jeff: Later brotha!

Speevy? Hmmm... I was always suspicious, but i'm not sold yet... I have more suspects on my list... Doesn't mean it's not ballmer or maybe was Moore, OR, we haven't heard much from Allard lately...

hmmm...

CrushDance said:
+1

If 1UP wanted hits and news they should be covering stuff like the Sony event not ging after stuff like this that could potentially cause a problem for Bell.

I'm not trying to be rude eXXy or 1UP people. Just saying.

Yup, I agree. It puts a slightly negative slant on what has otherwise been a really hilarious event here at GAF.

impirius

AltogetherAndrews said:
One thing though... isn't the whole point of private messaging to conduct conversations in private, away from the public eye of the board? So you have this private message that is now being broadcast on a major gaming news site. That doesn't seem right.
I don't think one has a reasonable expectation of privacy when he sends someone an unsolicited message.

Also: :lol

Eric WK

besada said:
Still sort of weird considering Gaf's usual policy of NOT outing industry people. Why this guy and not, say, Aisenhertz or any other number of devs? Sure, he sent a bitchy PM to AMN, but does that mean he gets outed?

We already knew based on his name, anyhow. It's not like he went to any great length to cover up that it was him.

Odysseus

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:

i'm posting our msn chats in 5...4...3...

AltogetherAndrews said:
Well it was a pretty "big" thing and a Master Ninja asking was nothing wrong.

That aside I don't think any mod said "Yeah that's him 100%" it was more of a "Yeah you never know" type situation.

jgkspsx

Boy, the first post was funny, and the "801" confirmation on the first page was hilarious, but, uh... is it normal practice for mods to confirm account identities to anyone who asks? Or just industry insiders? 'Cause that seems like a good way to kill industry members' desire to lurk or post here (not to mention rather unethical). Just sayin'.

And that 1up article was really crass. Yuck.

I'm hoping Bell brings Reggie Bush back next year for a playable demo of Resident Evil 5. What's up brotha? *shoots fifty black people*

eXxy said:
Before the GAF collective freaks out, I have none of Bell's info. No one at GAF is "leaking" infos. I only asked the proposed statements in here to be verified, using a trusted source.

i see. still gotta feel for my homie j bell though. todays been rough!

besada

Banned
Eric WK said:
We already knew based on his name, anyhow. It's not like he went to any great length to cover up that it was him.

No, we suspected. We guessed. We assumed. We didn't KNOW and neither did anyone else. No real journalist (not that I'm saying 1up has real journalists) would run with nothing but the assumptions of a bunch of paranoid conspiracy freaks like GAF, but it's a whole different ballgame when you have a source that's willing to verify the info.

Stay tuned folks, coming up after the break!

This thread gets closed
(I shouldn't give the mods ideas)
? will 1up pull the article
(I think they better)
?

JoeMartin

CrushDance said:
More like pathetic. I'm not hating on 1UP, but the guy shouldn't get in trouble over this nor should 1uo be contacting MS to ask about this.

It's pathetic that you have no sense of humor for a situation like this. I congratulate 1UP for posting the story. It's not like the story showing up on 1UP is going to make it any more of a public affair than it already is. The entire internet knows by now; at the very least everyone at MS does. At least 1UP has enough balls to keep a sense of humor and not be controlled by the corporate bullshit of what's "politically correct." I love 1UP because they are who they want to be, not what everyone thinks they should be. It's a popular internet portal to the less white collar side of the gaming community. You all should appreciate stuff like this.

Best thread ever.

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
You guys want everyone in the world to post here, then complain when someone points out that GAF is popular. YOU BITCHES ARE NEVER SATISFIED. Can I leave work now plz? Maybe Jeff is waiting at my apt and overheating my PS3.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
a Master Ninja
for whom the Bell trolls
(Today, 11:37 AM)

Oh shit, I didn't even see this. One of the few actual funny tags I've seen so far. :lol :lol

Eric WK

besada said:
No, we suspected. We guessed. We assumed. We didn't KNOW and neither did anyone else. No real journalist (not that I'm saying 1up has real journalists) would run with nothing but the assumptions of a bunch of paranoid conspiracy freaks like GAF, but it's a whole different ballgame when you have a source that's willing to verify the info.

MirageDwarf said:
Not until mod almost confirmed that. Everybody was just speculating...

Clearly. That doesn't change the fact that prior to having confirmation, we could all tell it was him based on minimal investigation. If he didn't want anyone to know it was him, his display name shouldn't be "bell801."

I'm not saying it was right for a mod to verify his identity. I'm just saying Jeff Bell is the person responsible for this. If his login wasn't so conspicuous this thread would have never existed.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
What is the deal with all this "yo, brotha" stuff? Was he on stage trying to speak "gangsta" so he'd be "hip" with the kids or something?

And what are the Golden Axe references?

Top Bottom