• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Drawing-a-Day Thread

Simian

about 40 minutes...i missed yesterday's so i will catch up tomorrow.
ijIzqZn.png

Cmagus

New FFXIV trailer got me hyped so I decided to do another quick drawing today. Time was roughly 35 minutes.

iezsWmwGFWtPu.png

The rough

ixhcZyZQRyZXe.png

Collete

Day 5:
Had a really bad art day and couldn't come up with anything good.
The only thing I got was this:

Angel
Artrage 4, wacom bamboo, 1-2 hours.
A personal battle with my spirituality.

Jhoan

Haven't posted anything in here in a little while. Please note that these drawings are incomplete; I plan on adding color to most of them once I'm satisfied with laying everything that I want out. Hopefully I'll finish them up at some point (provided I don't procrastinate). Most of these took anywhere from 20-1.5 hours on CS6 and my Wacom Bamboo Capture. I won't be drawing as much next week since I'll be volunteering at a gaming event for 3 days. I'm starting to realize :

Semi-self portrait since I do have dark brown eyes even though it's not my intention to draw myself. It's supposed to be someone getting a haircut hence the buzzer and disembodied arm. About 30 mins:

A dude squatting down to pick up something. His other arm is supposed to be pounding the ground in anger; 20 minutes:

Ninja woman; 30 minutes:

A car and driver. After looking at a real convertible, I realized that the windshield looks horribly off; about an hour on and off:

Swordswoman in a dojo I drew this one earlier today. I was working on it for an hour and change by adding in props to the background. I'm trying to work on my linear perspective skills since that's an area that I'm weak in. The feet look huge so I'll probably have to fix it. I dunno about the rest of the proportions but it looks I'll to fix a few things. I was thinking that she's supposed to be wearing a pair of tabis:

I've been working on this one about 1.5 hours today aswell. It was inspired after getting rejected by a chick earlier so instead of drinking in real life, I made a drawing of someone drinking at a bar. I plan on adding a bartender to it and a background with table and people as well as dramatic lighting if possible(I'm doubting my skills but I know I can do it). It feels so good letting it out through a drawing. It makes me glad that I can draw pretty good:

Diamond

Day two

Well, it's better than day one!

day2vbu2d.png

Hope you're ok for a few tips, because you have a good basis.

There are a couple of little things you can do :

day2vbu2d.png
GOYNDVN.jpg

- slightly larger neck, accentuated jaw
- darker lines for important spots like eyes, eyebrows, expressive wrinkles (on the side of the mouth or between the eyebrows
- accentuated line at the top of the eyes, less accentuated line at the bottom (except if the guy is wearing makeup !), reflections in the pupils
- with this style I think there's no need to exaggerate the nose structure, just draw the tip and the nostrils (with just a line and not a big black hole !), or just one straight line for the bridge.
- don't be afraid not to draw every detail you see on a real face with a plain line. For instance you can erase the line on the spot where the upper lip touches the lower lip, it looks better because it creates an illusion of volume.

You can litteraly do all this in the same amount of time, you just concentrate your efforts on different things.

Hope it helps ! If you keep at it you'll improve very quickly ! :)

Ledsen

Hope you're ok for a few tips, because you have a good basis.

There are a couple of little things you can do :

day2vbu2d.png
GOYNDVN.jpg

- slightly larger neck, accentuated jaw
- darker lines for important spots like eyes, eyebrows, expressive wrinkles (on the side of the mouth or between the eyebrows
- accentuated line at the top of the eyes, less accentuated line at the bottom (except if the guy is wearing makeup !), reflections in the pupils
- with this style I think there's no need to exaggerate the nose structure, just draw the tip and the nostrils (with just a line and not a big black hole !), or just one straight line for the bridge.
- don't be afraid not to draw every detail you see on a real face with a plain line. For instance you can erase the line on the spot where the upper lip touches the lower lip, it looks better because it creates an illusion of volume.

You can litteraly do all this in the same amount of time, you just concentrate your efforts on different things.

Hope it helps ! If you keep at it you'll improve very quickly ! :)

Never thought I'd get a critique this early on, this is super inspiring and encouraging. Thanks a ton for your tips! I haven't drawn much since I was 12-13 (I'm 28) so I'm really itching to develop as much as I can.

Diamond

Never thought I'd get a critique this early on, this is super inspiring and encouraging. Thanks a ton for your tips! I haven't drawn much since I was 12-13 (I'm 28) so I'm really itching to develop as much as I can.

It's never too late to learn I think, as long as you are motivated. Don't be afraid to use a ton of references (both from real life and from your favourite artists) to solidify your style at the beginning. :)

Collete

These are earlier pieces I added some stuff to. About 20 minutes in s memo.

Curiosity, did you teach yourself how to do these paintings?
Some day I'll draw stuff as good as that...some day...

Day 6:

Time: 1 hour
Medium: Artrage 4, wacom bamboo
Notes: I was watching someone on YouTube doing abstract art and they did a technique using tape and painting over it to look like glass or a prism. That's what I was experimenting with today and I like the result!

highrider

Banned
Curiosity, did you teach yourself how to do these paintings?
Some day I'll draw stuff as good as that...some day...

I started doing graffiti art in the 80's and still work on canvas. I'm self taught, but grew up around art. My father is a very gifted artist Imo. Thanks again for the compliment.

These are just glorified doodles I do on my phone. I didn't want to attempt anything ambitious but I want to do something every day.

3phemeral

New contributions are going to have to wait a bit for me. I'm getting a new tablet on Monday so I'm getting a lot of my current stuff ready to transfer to the new device :) I'm excited to finally have a capable portable tablet with 16GB if RAM. Oh, I can see the delicious layers now.

Finalized another concept: Isulven, the Mindhive of the 8 classes out of Project Livechamber.

oWVaJ6S.png

Dude's existed for years and years before this project but this is the first time I've given him power armor. Race of amphibious extraterrestrial symbiotes with psionic/ice powers, and can shapeshift/increase density. They're essentially made out of that gel kevlar stuff that can block knives. They have two "cores" that consist of a single gem imbued with high psionic power: an optical core in the head and a heart/brain core in the center, hence the emphasis on the upper body. In-armor they can run like gorillas.

Photoshop CS5, Wacom Bamboo tablet. Took about an hour.

Servbot24

Banned
I'm way behind! Here are a few to help me catch up but I still have 4 more to do tomorrow.

top row 30 min, 25 min, 20 min
bottom row 10 min each

sketches.jpg

Anteater

Day 15 w/ ref

Having difficulties with drawing postures from imagination, it's hard :(, so I did a bunch of quick gestures from reference.

It's kind of a time sinker for me trying to figure out the composition and I don't really have the time, I don't want to fall behind from doodling nothing lol.

Started playing Budokai Tenkaichi 3 again. Mid-Goku Master Race.

Day 7.

Ohmygoditssobad

I love this :lol it's like Penny Arcade Goku.

M1yoPuZ.png

Finalized Drei's concept for Livechamber. He's the resident Soulblood. While Isulven (see up on the page) can survive by itself, it can also work as a symbiote to boost the strength/psionic capacity of its host, hence all of the ice armor bits jutting out of the body suit. He's "wearing" Isulven as power armor underneath tailor-made under armor. The main facet of bonus psionics Drei gets out of this partnership is liquid manipulation pretty similar to what Waterbenders can do - his two scarves have been slightly dampened, allowing for full dexterity to the extent that he basically has four arms to work with. It also has pinpoint precision allowing for his waist scarf (I guess that makes it a sash?) to have his firearms attached to it.

The Soulblood race of Nullpunks sort of run on shonen manga power levels in general, but they're heavily nerfed in-universe because everyone else just so happens to use guns.

Top Bottom