• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Drawing-a-Day Thread

Loxley

I feel like I'm joining in a tad bit late but it's been super busy for me so I haven't really had the time to put in practice. BUT I did finish something in the span of a day (which is super rare of me cause I work at the pace of a tortoise). but Yeah!

Time : about 5 hours (at least haha ;A;)
Medium : Moleskine Sketchbook, Mech Pencil (Parker .05mm HB)
Notes : as usual. Think more, erase less. I started to panic with the hands, which resulted in sub par quality but..it had to be done and quickly.

I'll try to keep up with the thread from now on as well. Such great inspiration in this thread already!

The linework on this is fantastic, overall it looks very Art Nouveau.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
While the rice cooks.... 15min

photo9iunp.jpg

I feel like I'm joining in a tad bit late but it's been super busy for me so I haven't really had the time to put in practice. BUT I did finish something in the span of a day (which is super rare of me cause I work at the pace of a tortoise). but Yeah!

Time : about 5 hours (at least haha ;A;)
Medium : Moleskine Sketchbook, Mech Pencil (Parker .05mm HB)
Notes : as usual. Think more, erase less. I started to panic with the hands, which resulted in sub par quality but..it had to be done and quickly.

I'll try to keep up with the thread from now on as well. Such great inspiration in this thread already!

JEBUS. Amazing...

Is vector art allowed? I'm making up for missing yesterday by doing Halo-style weapon blueprints for two weapons: the Assault Rifle and Sniper out of the XBLA title Murder Miners.

KZNaw0L.png

hPfFo8J.png

They took about 15 and 20 minutes, respectively. Illustrator CS6.

Jhoan

I haven't posted in here in a little while. Freakin' laziness, procrastination, and over thinking about what to draw have been driving me nuts! =/

Funny I have my two Loomis books near me as well as How to Draw Animals book that I bought about 3 years ago sitting on a shelf.

So with that being said, I'll post pictures of stuff that I have drawn in these last couple of days that with enough time invested into them, I hope to turn into some amazing stuff:

Recent one:

Drew this dude on the train ride last night. Moleskine and pen; 20 minutes:

Perspective drawing that's a WIP (believe me when I tell you guys that I have drawings that are a several months old that are WIP's :( ). It took me about 15 minutes to lay everything out before my brother took the laptop. Might add an extra character or animal. CS6 and Wacom Bamboo:

Baboon drawing that I made the other day (Tuesday), got distracted. About 10 minutes or so on CS6 using my imagination and a bit of real image for reference:

Knight drawing I whipped up in a rush before heading out on Wednesday. About 10 minutes on CS6. Honestly I had no idea what to draw so hence why it looks like a knight:

TCKaos

Just a few quick sketches, trying to break out of the rigid body positions I've made a habit of using since like fifth grade. I based 'em on Yoko Littner from Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.

Day 4:
upU8Osu.png

I've been tinkering with a game idea for a while now, posting some concepts on Twitter and such. This is based on a series of Gorilla themed enemies. This would be like their boss or a sub-boss. I call it the Silverback Titan. I tried using warmer colors for the shadows but I think I under did it and should kick the color up a notch.

Day 5:
Sketch.

Related arts:
As of yet unnamed Gorilla Robot enemy concept.
As of yet unnamed protagonist concept.

Is vector art allowed? I'm making up for missing yesterday by doing Halo-style weapon blueprints for two weapons: the Assault Rifle and Sniper out of the XBLA title Murder Miners.
Called it.

Prax

mysterious_man_by_meibatsu-d683rgu.png

Made in response to this suggestion on tumblr:

hello-witless:
If any of us become famous painters, film makers, photographers, illustrators, et cetera, we have to hide lemons in all our works. It’ll be our inside joke and it’ll confuse historians for centuries, okay? Okay.

I think I made up for any missed days anyway. lol

Program: Paint Tool SAI (this is the original size and resolution too lol)
Tool: Wacom Intuos 3
Time: 2.5 hours??? I am not sure

Ratrat

Shog, firstly your stuff is awesome. I wish I had technical skill that developed.

Secondly...I finally got photoshop on my surface...

30-40 minutes, but huuuge. For a big surprise coming later.

ktu4yvD.jpg

20-30 min. Started it a long time ago but finally finished it.

All in photoshop. Surface pro. Aaaaaaaaah, wintab support.

Now I'm a happy camper.
Woah. Is the surface pro good for drawing then? It's not slow? Could it handle something around 5000x5000?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
oh well, figured I might as well use this thread to get my old webcomic running again. Kinda afraid I won't make it past a few sketches though, but we'll see. If this helps to keep my attention on it, then props to GAF (again).

jPL9OeGqdNfwu.png

mC5Yjxs.png

Tried doing some simple silhouettes of the 8 classes in Livechamber to illustrate how different they would look. They're to scale with one another, too.

Also doodled some potential weapons. About 30-40 minutes, Photoshop CS5, Wacom Bamboo tablet.

Jhoan

Did a subway drawing which I'll post some time in the morning since I feel lazy to take a picture of it and jack my phone in to upload it.

I also did this drawing of a cat from How To Draw Animals by Jack Hamm which I started yesterday and finished today. All in all, it took me about an hour on CS6 and my trusty Wacom Bamboo. Decided to start messing around with colors since the original image was in black and white (he assumes you're doing it in pencil) so I went to town with the colors. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out:

jdl

Banned
Did a subway drawing which I'll post some time in the morning since I feel lazy to take a picture of it and jack my phone in to upload it.

I also did this drawing of a cat from How To Draw Animals by Jack Hamm which I started yesterday and finished today. All in all, it took me about an hour on CS6 and my trusty Wacom Bamboo. Decided to start messing around with colors since the original image was in black and white (he assumes you're doing it in pencil) so I went to town with the colors. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out:

this is pretty interesting to look at.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Alright GAF you made it. I did draw my first comic after more than 2 years. No shit, last one did go online February 2011, now I really hope I can keep it up for another run.

I quickly translated it, even if it isn't funny, really, and I didn't do the English version of the site yet. Just to post it here to remind me to stick to it.

Thanks again, GAF ^^

Monocle

Alright GAF you made it. I did draw my first comic after more than 2 years. No shit, last one did go online February 2011, now I really hope I can keep it up for another run.

I quickly translated it, even if it isn't funny, really, and I didn't do the English version of the site yet. Just to post it here to remind me to stick to it.

Thanks again, GAF ^^
Better than VG Cats.

uguus

Neo Member
first time posting on this thread, I figured I'd give this challenge a try even though my access to internet right now is kind of spotty so I'm not sure if I'll manage the image uploads every day
either way here's today's doodle!!
many_butthurts_by_angrypills-d688cyo.png

it's just a quick bust of a character, probably took an hour but I didn't really check.
I really need to work on drawing hair :(

Zajora

Tried drawing my monitor:

jkZIi2E1aPQhz.png

I watched that Dynamic Sketching with Peter Han video and its sequel, and it seemed useful. Anyone have any other recommendations?

Monocle

Tried drawing my monitor:

http://i.minus.com/jkZIi2E1aPQhz.png[IMG]

I watched that Dynamic Sketching with Peter Han video and its sequel, and it seemed useful. Anyone have any other recommendations?[/QUOTE]
Nice work!

Some of the best art channels on YouTube are:

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/user/FZDSCHOOL"]FZDSCHOOL[/URL] (Feng Zhu's ridiculous tutorials. Hard to believe these are free.)
[URL="http://www.youtube.com/user/nebezial1"]nebeziel1[/URL] (Digital wizard Stjepan Sejic. His Photoshop techniques changed everything for me. Note that his famous blender doesn't work in CS4 or above. Fortunately, someone figured out a [URL="http://i.imgur.com/ECD3rVy.jpg"]new recipe[/URL].)
[URL="http://www.youtube.com/user/scottrobertsondesign"]scottrobertsondesign[/URL] (One of the best concept vehicle designers out there. So many juicy techniques for rendering and perspective.)
[URL="http://www.youtube.com/user/Sycra"]Sycra[/URL] (A one-guy library of info for aspiring professional artists. His Q&A's have some of the best art advice I've ever heard.)
[URL="http://www.youtube.com/user/shaddy1100"]shaddy1100[/URL] (A professional dude who's seriously generous with his tool and techniques.)

Also check out:

[URL="http://www.sycra.net/"]Sycra's site[/URL] (Especially the resources section—this guy knows where to find the good stuff.)
[URL="http://livestreamstatuslist.appspot.com/"]Wolkenfel's List of Livestreams [/URL](Practically a complete art education. There's no end to the things you'll learn watching professionals work.)
[URL="http://algenpfleger.deviantart.com/journal/FAQ-Finally-278394455"]Johannes Voss's FAQ[/URL] (Required reading for anyone who's struggling to get better. Also see his [URL="http://algenpfleger.deviantart.com/art/ASKtheARTIST-Interview-350639763"]ASKtheARTIST[/URL] interview.)

Zajora

Nice work!

Some of the best art channels on YouTube are:

FZDSCHOOL (Feng Zhu's ridiculous tutorials. Hard to believe these are free.)
nebeziel1 (Digital wizard Stjepan Sejic. His Photoshop techniques changed everything for me.)
scottrobertsondesign (One of the best concept vehicle designers out there. So many juicy techniques for rendering and perspective.)
Sycra (A one-guy library of info for aspiring professional artists. His Q&A's have some of the best art advice I've ever heard.
shaddy1100 (A professional dude who's seriously generous with his tool and techniques.)

Also check out:

Sycra's site (Especially the resources section—this guy knows where to find the good stuff.)
Wolkenfel's List of Livestreams (Practically a complete art education. There's no end to the things you'll learn watching professionals work.)
Johannes Voss's FAQ (Required reading for anyone who's struggling to get better. Also see his ASKtheARTIST interview.)

Wow, that's a lot of useful looking sites. I'll check them out, thanks. :)

Collete

Day 1:

Time Spent: 1 hour...
Medium: Artrage 4; Wacom Bamboo
Notes: The title is The Other Side
I do abstract and minimalist art based on depression, and this happens to be one of them. This piece is meant to depict the moment someone dies due to suicide and the gap that leads to the afterlife.

All sorts of art threads up in mah GAF. This Bayonetta scribble is from the Video Game Character Drawing thread.

Untextured version here. Proportions left wonky because I cannot be bothered.

What software do you use?

Finally got the chance to sit down and do a little something

It's more of a warm up, just because I havent used my tablet in so long. I've been working in pen a lot recently so I feel extremely rusty.

Anteater

I missed a day :(

Thought I'd have time on a saturday but I got up at noon!

Was originally going to draw the sorceress from dragon's crown, hence the giant boobs, but gave up half way through.

Edit: oh poop this is day 9, now my filenames are all messed up.

Nezumi

Day 5:

Wacom Bamboo/ Art Rage 3
20 Minutes

I really should try to actually draw something, but I have far to much fun just playing around with colors :/

I'm also really behind, which means I have to make three more paintings today...

Edit: Day 6

30 Minutes playing around with watercolors...

Day 7:

~40 minutes inspired by the Dinosaur thread...

Day 8:

15 Minutes

Yeah, caught up again :)

Ledsen

Ok, some kind person give me one tutorial website and one free software I can use with my Bamboo Pen & Touch to start drawing for this thread. My life has enough choices as it is.

Top Bottom