• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Drawing-a-Day Thread

LuffyZoro

tumblr_mu66v8lDx91stactso1_500.png

FiRez

I really love the brushes strokes and how you easily capture the feel and texture of the stone/marble. It's really great. :)

Thanks, that was my main concern, good to know it's believable despite my frustration at trying to blend in SAI

final version:

yn7WF6c.jpg

I went back to ArtRage for this one.

EDIT: Added some progression pics, I think some of you could find it amusing

qXKaf6W.jpg

HbcjQRX.jpg

J96YdWK.jpg

EshzlBc.jpg

Reference

4BNVyx9.jpg

C.B.

Haven't been able to update since some of my stuff recently has been nsfw-ish

iizpukUwmlxTZ.jpg

6 hours (1 hour on the pencil work on moleskine, 5 on paintingin PS).
I'm doing a small narrative of folklore types in a desert. Finally able to cut down some of my painting time and being less controlling over every aspect of each piece. I'll be wanting to up the ante with each part of this story though. Hopefully I won't find my time taking longer and longer...

bounchfx

despite my frustration at trying to blend in SAI

whaaaaat. this is the most confusing thing I've ever read. SAI is amazing for blending while painting, it's pretty much the only reason I use that program over photoshop, because the painting engine feels so right. are you using some strange brushes or what!?

FiRez

The last one was a knee-jerk reaction to a rather weak critique but on a 2nd though I prefer the previous version, so I went back and started again at that point where I still liked her and started working from there.

ek5ia9h.jpg

whaaaaat. this is the most confusing thing I've ever read. SAI is amazing for blending while painting, it's pretty much the only reason I use that program over photoshop, because the painting engine feels so right. are you using some strange brushes or what!?

Perhaps, I should have worded that better, my frustration comes from my inexperience with the program, So far I've only been using ArtRage in which blending is achieved through a more aggressive simulation of traditional mediums: Thinner, knife, etc...

No doubt that SAI is extremely capable of in this and other regards, I was particularly impressed by how lightweight it is compared to ArtRage.

My contribution for the day:
dk7Saxz.jpg

These are awesome work guys!

Yours look great too, anime is something I've tried many times but I still suck at..

these are really good!

i need to draw more. ffxiv stealing my soul.

Thanks!

FiRez

It has been far too long since I contributed. Just had a look through a few pages and there is some great work on display in here!

Looks like Derrida

Time: 2 hours
Medium: Photoshop CS5.1, Intuos4, Space Navigator
Notes: Some girl from a movie screencap I found. Might be French.

Awesome love your line economy

About 20 minutes.

PicsArt_1381034097428_zps47da20a3.jpg

Looks like a shmup splash-screen, something from Treasure to be more precise.

I love drawing but it can be so frustrating. My form is awful.

I think your problem is that you depend to much on outlines, try to use values instead, after all form can be expressed by a change of values, there are really no lines in reality.

I'm still working on this, can't let it go, not yet

9wRj2yh.jpg

Hey, guys! Sorry for the lack of images every day. I'm drawing every single day, but don't always have my PC available. Still, I'm working on a big project that was inspired by this thread! :D

Today's "drawing" was a pixel-art rendition of the main character from 'Magnetic By Nature', an indie game for PC, Mac, and Linux that I got to play at ComicCon. The developers liked it so much that they posted it on their blog and such!

54d6a3fa2fd111e397d322000aaa0a71_7.jpg

C.B.

Hey, guys! Sorry for the lack of images every day. I'm drawing every single day, but don't always have my PC available. Still, I'm working on a big project that was inspired by this thread! :D

Today's "drawing" was a pixel-art rendition of the main character from 'Magnetic By Nature', an indie game for PC, Mac, and Linux that I got to play at ComicCon. The developers liked it so much that they posted it on their blog and such!

A project based off the thread? I'm interested to know what it is...

About 20 minutes.

Your stuff always looks really good in softer pallets.

Been working on this the last 3 days

ibkaXhz47UthY1.jpg

Sketch commission for someone. 4 Hours on the pencil work, and about 8 on the painting, though I can't really say for sure because I haven't kept time on this one properly. I''ll try and post the actual days work from now on. I do paint and draw every single day (for at least 4 hours or so). Might help me with my timing. I am finding that texture brushes do help with speeding up the painting process.

Haven't been able to update since some of my stuff recently has been nsfw-ish

iizpukUwmlxTZ.jpg

6 hours (1 hour on the pencil work on moleskine, 5 on paintingin PS).
I'm doing a small narrative of folklore types in a desert. Finally able to cut down some of my painting time and being less controlling over every aspect of each piece. I'll be wanting to up the ante with each part of this story though. Hopefully I won't find my time taking longer and longer...

Time: 2 hours
Medium: Photoshop CS5.1, Intuos4, Space Navigator
Notes: Some girl from a movie screencap I found. Might be French.

Wow I love these. Great colors in both. Oatmeal, the loose strokes are fantastic.

FiRez

Seems like I do my eyes a bit too big so I'm going to go through the cliche of drawing eyes.

GNpuYcp.jpg

At the end I couldn't do much for this one

Xi1aobC.jpg

I think this counts? A friend's birthday is on the 14th and he's a horror movie buff, so I made him an 18x24" poster for Freddy vs Jason. I'm going to get it printed tomorrow.

itFCATWpaHNel.jpg

It was a weird process, overall: first I basically googled the mask / freddy / glove / machete and traced over it with a certain level of detail in Illustrator at a huge size, transferred everything (in multiple layers) over to Photoshop, and then did all the "shading" with a set of grunge brushes I had and fooled with the opacity a bunch to get a sense of depth. Once I managed to get to the background, my computer was melting because the uncompressed image came out to a little over a gig. Took about three and a half hours on and off.

If anyone wants the native image for printing I'll host it.

Collete

godofwar3.png

made in paint with laptop touchpad. don't hate EmptySpace. he will buy proper drawing tools sometime soon. took a little over an hour.

This is even better than me by a long shot.
No way I can hate this.
If you did this with a touch pad, I can't wait to see what you can do with the proper equipment.

This is even better than me by a long shot.
No way I can hate this.
If you did this with a touch pad, I can't wait to see what you can do with the proper equipment.

is wacom bamboo splash any good? EmptySpace hasn't drawn (as a pasttime) since he was in 6th grade. he doesn't know any photoshop or any software.

Prax

Sorta kinda self-portrait from memory (I was being narcissistic at the time while brushing my teeth and falling in love with my reflection lol):
reflect_on_your_narcissism_by_meibatsu-d6psg3f.png

Two guys talking about possible future daughter (probably involves some kind of genetic splicing to be feasible, but that's what the future is for! Guy on the left doesn't actually want kids though and is just humouring the other guy. lol):
dreams_of_an_impossible_future_by_meibatsu-d6q5vbt.png

Both of them were done in Paint Tool SAI. Probably 2-3 hours each.

Have any of you tried FireAlpaca?
http://firealpaca.com/en
It's supposedly LIKE Paint Tool SAI except with extra Photoshop-liek abilities (like text/type layers I think lol very important!), but most importantly, it's FREE!
The only potential annoying/deal-breaker part is that there may be a popup with advertisements on each startup for them to gain revenue.
I'm actually interested but unsure if I want to learn a new program or deal with the ads. I'll probably try it out next week myself though, just hope the installation is clean.

Collete

is wacom bamboo splash any good? EmptySpace hasn't drawn (as a pasttime) since he was in 6th grade. he doesn't know any photoshop or any software.

I don't have splash, I have an older version of wacom bamboo which so far 2-3 years of use and it's still all right. It's a beginner tablet I think.
Software, I recommend as a beginning, probably try out GIMP and Paint tool SAI.
If you want to get into some natural painting looks, try out Artrage 4, it's a pricy software but it gives a natural painting look.

Top Bottom